World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Micah

Cdc says herpes on decline. 1 more reason they won't care.

Micah

CNN)Herpes infections are decreasing across nearly every demographic in the United States, according to a new report.

The report, published Wednesday by the National Center for Health Statistics, part of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, looks at the prevalence of both types of herpes simplex viruses, HSV-1 and HSV-2, from 1999 to 2016.
It found that approximately 48% of all Americans were infected with HSV-1 and 12% with HSV-2 in 2015-16. This represents an 11.3 percentage point decrease in HSV-1 and a 5.9 percentage point decrease in HSV-2 since 1999.

"This is good news," said Geraldine McQuillan, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the CDC and a lead author of the report. "I think its take-home message is that two of our most prevalent viruses, HSV-1 and HSV-2, are steadily declining in the US population."
The report was based on a survey administered annually by the CDC that looks at a nationally representative sample of about 5,000 people.
Herpes infections were identified based on antibody testing among all participants ages 14 to 49.
HSV-1 and HSV-2 are transmitted through contact with an infected person's lesions or secretions. Symptoms include painful blisters and sores at the site of infection.
HSV-1 typically affects oral mucous membranes and is often contracted during childhood. HSV-2, on the other hand, typically affects the genitals and is usually contracted after a person becomes sexually active. But either type can occur on the genitals or elsewhere.
The viruses are not usually life-threatening but, once in the body, typically remain there for life, according to Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, who was not involved in the study.
Reactivation of the viruses can occur at any time, but it often occurs during periods of stress, sunlight exposure or when the immune system is weakened, Schaffner said.
"You can have tingling sensations and be aware of very early-onset lesions," he said. "And if you treat it at that point, you can actually reduce the likelihood that you will get a full-blown infection."
Symptoms such as pain and fever can be treated with ibuprofen or Tylenol. Antiviral medications such as acyclovir can also decrease the severity and duration of symptoms, according to Schaffner.
"The more sexual partners you have, the more likely you are to encounter the virus," he added. "The more often you use condoms, the less likely you are to acquire the infection."
HSV-1 was most common in Mexican-Americans (71.7%), while HSV-2 was highest among African-Americans (34.6%). Both viruses were more common in women than men.
"Access to diagnosis and treatment may play a worthy role" in the disparity between racial and ethnic groups, Schaffer said. "This may be yet another reflection of differential access to medical care in the United States."

Divon

As I thought, its decreasing not increasing. And the already infected ones... 

Jimmyjimmyhuapua

As i told before this news were just after Aaron Traywicks injection of himself vith hsv vax. 

Whenever there is something related to herpes they try to prevent. It was also the same at Halford’s vax case as well. 

How it can decline if this virus even can infect someone with condom, how it can decline even it can passs throug oral sex, how it can decline while people are unaware of their herpes and spread it ? Their statistics was based on what ?

For them everything is pink life is good noone suffers and herpes is just blisters.

When they will have such thing they will understand what it means, how it happens

fixme1

The government are trying to play it down. It IS not decreasing , this website is proof, we are easily seeing 10 new members/posts per day. A high % are from relationships and asymptomatic and/or people not knowing that hsv is never tested for(even if it is iggs can miss hsv1 alot). Media and FDA will be scared people are standing up and trying to find there own cures. So what they do is down play it, it needs ridding from the world and the governments need to do something about it. Too much pain and suffering is going on. Why should we be forced to a life of being ashamed and scared for doing something in our human nature. I hope that Aaron's gene therapy experiment works, certain people clearly are trying to shut him down for a clear reason.....fuck the fda

WilsoInAus

This is not a new trend, it has been declining for the best part of decades. 

No one is forced to live a life of being ashamed, we are the majority after all.

Please man get a grip. Do you know how many children died from dysentery today? Whinge about something that matters to the people,

Get out there and say we have had enough of dysentery. Surely is this day and age it can be eliminated. Let’s not be girly men and use our might for something good instead of tapping useless googlywhap for a few people to read.

Come on man you can make a difference.  We’d all rather have herpes than allow children to die of dysentery. 

Bless all our souls!

Do you have herpes? You’re strong evidence it’s on the decline yourself mate, awesomeness,

Edited by WilsoInAus

Micah
2 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

This is not a new trend, it has been declining for the best part of decades. 

No one is forced to live a life of being ashamed, we are the majority after all.

Please man get a grip. Do you know how many children died from dysentery today? Whinge about something that matters to the people,

Get out there and say we have had enough of dysentery. Surely is this day and age it can be eliminated. Let’s not be girly men and use our might for something good instead of tapping useless googlywhap for a few people to read.

Come on man you can make a difference.  We’d all rather have herpes than allow children to die of dysentery. 

Bless all our souls!

Do you have herpes? You’re strong evidence it’s on the decline yourself mate, awesomeness,

You don't need to reply to everything. Some of are upset. We want to voice how we feel. And you come along talking about how much you enjoy herpes, and herpes is great and what not. Please just let us vent without interjecting all the time. That's why I put it in "rant and rave". Good day sir.

Taintedgirl

Completely agree Micah. Those with mild or no symptoms always want to talk about how great herpes is well it sucks. Just today I have nerve pain all over my back and chest just constant freaking tingling to no end and I’m supposed to smile at this awesome disease because it hasn’t killed me? There’s worse out there but at least people work on cures for those diseases.

Micah

Yeah that's the thing. People care about other diseases. And you have nerve pain? I know some people do. Are you sure it's related? 

Taintedgirl

Never had it before now it’s constant and annoying but I might get it checked out or at least add some b12 to my pill regimen 

Cas9
7 hours ago, fixme1 said:

The government are trying to play it down. It IS not decreasing , this website is proof, we are easily seeing 10 new members/posts per day. A high % are from relationships and asymptomatic and/or people not knowing that hsv is never tested for(even if it is iggs can miss hsv1 alot). Media and FDA will be scared people are standing up and trying to find there own cures. So what they do is down play it, it needs ridding from the world and the governments need to do something about it. Too much pain and suffering is going on. Why should we be forced to a life of being ashamed and scared for doing something in our human nature. I hope that Aaron's gene therapy experiment works, certain people clearly are trying to shut him down for a clear reason.....fuck the fda

I don't know whether hsv is on the decline or not. In either case, we all want a cure. But saying this website is proof that hsv is not declining is an erroneous statement.

BeautyLover321
7 hours ago, Taintedgirl said:

Completely agree Micah. Those with mild or no symptoms always want to talk about how great herpes is well it sucks. Just today I have nerve pain all over my back and chest just constant freaking tingling to no end and I’m supposed to smile at this awesome disease because it hasn’t killed me? There’s worse out there but at least people work on cures for those diseases.

I think my symptoms are mild and I'd still do anything to get a cure. This article is disappointing and I don't think it's even based on truth. 

WilsoInAus
8 hours ago, Micah said:

You don't need to reply to everything. Some of are upset. We want to voice how we feel. And you come along talking about how much you enjoy herpes, and herpes is great and what not. Please just let us vent without interjecting all the time. That's why I put it in "rant and rave". Good day sir.

This is a public forum where all opinions are welcomed and all are entitled to debate. You never hesitate to post on issues you wish to and more to you! Please check yourself as to what you value in personal liberties and show some respect for what the world order and freedoms that the internet brings.

And quite frankly I am absolutely abhorred at the behaviours displayed here. That's OK, this isn't a popularity contest and we all need to be open to the challenges to our thinking.

People do on this website spend a lot of time complaining about herpes and its dramatic impact on people's lives. That's fine, but it needs to be acknowledged that this is not the majority view at all amongst the 5 billion people that carry this symbiotic human virus.

Further, these same people when presented with perhaps some evidence that the incidence of herpes is decreasing, what would one expect their reaction to be? Obviously they'd rejoice that fewer people are now subjected to the 'misery' of herpes as the generations roll on.

WHAT? NO? there's complaints that this might somehow delay a cure or at least enhanced treatments.

Then there's a conspiracy theory laid that's it somehow not truth or doctored? 

Some people on the thread do not even have confirmed herpes.

Heavens to Betsy's - we can all do much better!

fixme1
30 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

This is a public forum where all opinions are welcomed and all are entitled to debate. You never hesitate to post on issues you wish to and more to you! Please check yourself as to what you value in personal liberties and show some respect for what the world order and freedoms that the internet brings.

And quite frankly I am absolutely abhorred at the behaviours displayed here. That's OK, this isn't a popularity contest and we all need to be open to the challenges to our thinking.

People do on this website spend a lot of time complaining about herpes and its dramatic impact on people's lives. That's fine, but it needs to be acknowledged that this is not the majority view at all amongst the 5 billion people that carry this symbiotic human virus.

Further, these same people when presented with perhaps some evidence that the incidence of herpes is decreasing, what would one expect their reaction to be? Obviously they'd rejoice that fewer people are now subjected to the 'misery' of herpes as the generations roll on.

WHAT? NO? there's complaints that this might somehow delay a cure or at least enhanced treatments.

Then there's a conspiracy theory laid that's it somehow not truth or doctored? 

Some people on the thread do not even have confirmed herpes.

Heavens to Betsy's - we can all do much better!

You only have it orally don't you? So you won't have the pains or burning that people suffer day to day. I'm getting nerve pain and burning in my groin area and private area constantly inflamed ... So it's kinda annoying ha been getting me down alot recently since I feel I have no future no more. Shit how our minds work ain't it. But I fully respect your positive views and upbeat attitude here 

WilsoInAus
9 minutes ago, fixme1 said:

You only have it orally don't you? So you won't have the pains or burning that people suffer day to day. I'm getting nerve pain and burning in my groin area and private area constantly inflamed ... So it's kinda annoying ha been getting me down alot recently since I feel I have no future no more. Shit how our minds work ain't it. But I fully respect your positive views and upbeat attitude here 

What do you mean only have it orally? I have the most dangerous type in the worst possible location, where it is the most highly tuned to the nerve cells. Oral HSV-1 causes 90% of encephalitis cases. According to some it gives rise to Alzheimers, Bell's palsy. So yup I only have it orally!

I'm being facetious. Simply because someone has more symptoms than someone else who has herpes does increase the validity of their views or rights to put them.

I think it is also fair to add that the order of cart and horse is not established in your case.

You have not swabbed positive, your blood tests are negative. You believe you have HSV-1 genitally. It has not been established what is causing your symptoms and it has certainly not been established whether HSV-1 can even cause such genital issues. 

Your mind has taken you multitudes of steps forwards beyond any supportable foundations. it is no surprise you are feeling down. But you do need to back up to where the factual ground lies and let your mind ease forward from there.

fixme1
38 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

What do you mean only have it orally? I have the most dangerous type in the worst possible location, where it is the most highly tuned to the nerve cells. Oral HSV-1 causes 90% of encephalitis cases. According to some it gives rise to Alzheimers, Bell's palsy. So yup I only have it orally!

I'm being facetious. Simply because someone has more symptoms than someone else who has herpes does increase the validity of their views or rights to put them.

I think it is also fair to add that the order of cart and horse is not established in your case.

You have not swabbed positive, your blood tests are negative. You believe you have HSV-1 genitally. It has not been established what is causing your symptoms and it has certainly not been established whether HSV-1 can even cause such genital issues. 

Your mind has taken you multitudes of steps forwards beyond any supportable foundations. it is no surprise you are feeling down. But you do need to back up to where the factual ground lies and let your mind ease forward from there.

Too off topic

Edited by fixme1

WilsoInAus
1 hour ago, fixme1 said:

Too off topic

Truth an reality are never off topic and always inform expressed perspectives that need to be understood to truly appreciate.

WilsoInAus
20 minutes ago, Micah said:

I said good day sir!

It is a good day, but what do you mean?

cracked
4 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

There are tens of thousands of people on Facebook groups alone, some of whom are medical professionals themselves, who also have issues they never had before being diagnosed with HSV 1 or 2. Also, with the cultural rise in the trend of oral sex by both genders, increasing global population, and considering majority of the global population has OHSV, how can there be a decline on people being infected? Neither that community nor the members on this website prove that HSV is becoming a greater pandemic than it already is, but it adds more evidence to suggest that it is. I agree that majority of the world also does not suffer in terrible ways, while others can’t find out due to lack of testing methods, but just because we can’t see their posts or hear about them doesn’t mean millions don’t suffer physically while millions more psychologically.

WilsoInAus

Is there a increasing trend toward oral sex? Every new generation thinks they invented sex, but really, oral sex goes back all the way, it is in the Karma Sutra! It is actually more likely that (between hetero sexual couples) that oral sex and anal sex are less common today than they were pre contraception days. Plus you are clearly not married ;)

There are very good reasons why herpes may be reducing as a proportion of the population:
- knowledge is better as to avoid contact with active cold sores, or signs of a pending outbreak
- better population health that would reduce shedding rates
- more use of antivirals by those seeking suppression of shedding
- higher levels of protected sex
- cheaper access to testing to understand status.

cracked
2 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Is there a increasing trend toward oral sex? Every new generation thinks they invented sex, but really, oral sex goes back all the way, it is in the Karma Sutra! It is actually more likely that (between hetero sexual couples) that oral sex and anal sex are less common today than they were pre contraception days. Plus you are clearly not married ;)

There are very good reasons why herpes may be reducing as a proportion of the population:
- knowledge is better as to avoid contact with active cold sores, or signs of a pending outbreak
- better population health that would reduce shedding rates
- more use of antivirals by those seeking suppression of shedding
- higher levels of protected sex
- cheaper access to testing to understand status.

I know oral sex and other forms have been around throughout the evolution of our species and was especially popular in ancient times, but c’mon bro the global population density then vs now is not even comparable. Considering international travel is so much more accessible now in comparison to then, it’s pretty hard to imagine more people not being infected despite how taboo of a thing HSV is made out to be. There are so many avenues as to why people end up being sexually or physically involved with an asymptomatic HSV carrier who was never tested before and then that one encounter is all it ends up taking for the other person to be (a)symptomatically infected. Just recently I came across a post elsewhere that a HSV+ carrier was with an HSV- partner and despite using suppressive therapy, condoms, and even wearing boxer shorts their partner became infected. How can anything be trusted about a decline in transmission when things like that are happening? 

WilsoInAus

Well easily as the facts the bear it out. Facts trump fears and concerns and guess work and anecdotes.

This has nothing to do with density as such, but the proportion of the population that has herpes. Are there more people with herpes today than ever before, yes. But the birth rate is outstripping the herpes infection rate.

Thatguy604

Lmao, with tinder and all these new hook up apps. How can herpes be on a decline? Total bullshit...all those "asymptomatic" people too. 

Divon

I´ve googled so much about whether herpes has been increasing or decreasing since the 80/90s and it def seems to be the case that it is decreasing and not increasing.  It´s possible that the newer dating platforms and stuff might increase it again but they havent existed long enough to have a huge impact on that yet.

About oral sex, I actually do believe that the newer generation does have more oral sex for real. One of the reasons that I believe so is that shaving down there has become the norm. And to be honest, people dont wanna go down on a dirty bush. It is also more or less known that so many of the newer cases of genital herpes are caused by HSV1, especially in females by the looks of things. That is also something, girls going down on guys might be similar to what it was before but I think it has become way more common for guys to give oral sex these days.