World's Largest Herpes Support Group
bufshof

Herpes and Hiv

bufshof

http://www.aidsmap.com/Herpes/page/1044860/

Having herpes makes the transmission of hiv easier. I read that 99% of people with hiv have herpes ,so they go hand in hand. 

This is so important to know as herpes sufferers. We could have microscopic tears and not even realize it , those tiny tears

could be a death sentence for us. Just wanted to pass this info on .

cracked

Yes HSV does drastically increase the chances of acquiring and HIV is a death sentence for a lot of people but mainly in African nations where suppressive medications are difficult to obtain, and the health care is not where it needs to be there. This is slowly getting better though for those living in those nations with education. This is not the case in the U.S. since most people with HIV here know their status and education here on that virus is better and thus less likely for even a person with HSV to be infected. It is still quite rare for people to get HIV in the U.S.

Micah

I've read hiv is becoming resistant to meds. Ghonerea and chlamydia are becoming resistant as well.

Dismal00

Doesn't this risk only pertain to those with hsv2 and not to those with ghsv1?

Unkle
On 3/4/2018 at 10:39 AM, bufshof said:

http://www.aidsmap.com/Herpes/page/1044860/

Having herpes makes the transmission of hiv easier. I read that 99% of people with hiv have herpes ,so they go hand in hand. 

This is so important to know as herpes sufferers. We could have microscopic tears and not even realize it , those tiny tears

could be a death sentence for us. Just wanted to pass this info on .

Gonna need a citation for that stat.

WarriorKing

Shaving your pubic area, having rough sex, trimming a rose bush and so on are all massively more risky for getting hiv. Skin that has been scuffed is the problem, not herpes. Don't have sex with open sores. Fear mongers always look for more gasoline for their fires.

Southwestrancher

Hiv is transmitted blood to blood.

Micah
4 hours ago, Unkle said:

Gonna need a citation for that stat.

Not 99%. It's definitely significant but probably like 10%. hsv sores or small papercut sores are the issue. That's why getting hsv makes hiv more likely. The diseases make each other worse. But no not 99% that's rediculous.

Unkle
11 minutes ago, Micah said:

Not 99%. It's definitely significant but probably like 10%. hsv sores or small papercut sores are the issue. That's why getting hsv makes hiv more likely. The diseases make each other worse. But no not 99% that's rediculous.

I don't deny the link. But that's one hefty stat is all. Thanks for the clarification

Micah
18 hours ago, Unkle said:

I don't deny the link. But that's one hefty stat is all. Thanks for the clarification

Yeah I forget exactly why they make each other worse but I think it's because they're both replicating viruses. 

dont quit!17
On 3/12/2018 at 6:56 PM, Micah said:

Its more than just the skin issues. Physiologically, HSV stimulates receptors in the skin that makes it easier to get infected with HIV. I forget what receptors because I read article years ago but it is fact. 

shroody

I think we need to understand that herpes raises the risk of HIV infection from almost negligible in the general population to... still almost negligible. 50% greater risk of HIV infection in heterosexual couples when it's less than 1% already is still nothing. I think this is overblown for sure.

kowalsky

so can i still have sex with prostitutes with a condom on?

Divon

Somehow I always find it funny when people say "drastically improves the chance of getting HIV." I mean yes its true since it increases the chance by 3-4 times? But where do I even start... First of all in several 1st world countries you can see rates of ~30% HSV2 in adult females while the nation has something like 0.1% people infected with HIV.

What does increasing by 3-4 times actually mean? Well the chance of catching HIV through regular vaginal sex is pretty damn low to begin with. If you would have anal sex instead of vaginal sex, this would increase the chance by about 10 times so the 3-4 times increased chance from having HSV is probably not a disaster.

Very few people have HIV and while it is very common to have HSV without knowing it, it is quite uncommon to carry HIV without knowing it.

And yes kowalsky of course just avoid doing it when you are feeling pain.