World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Valstic

First time

Valstic

I’ve been diagnosed for a month now and I take daily suppressive therapy. I haven’t had sex since finding out , but when I do decide to after notifying a partner how do I go about not transmitting it ? 

Scooby2112

Take suppressive therapy, use a condom and avoid sex during times when you have an outbreak or any strange sensations going on.  

I assume you have hsv2?

WilsoInAus

I think it would be well worth your while getting retested. If that is still low positive consider the Westernblot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• Dee22
      By Dee22
      Hi,

i have seen some posts on this. But thought i would ask. I think i may be having an ob. I started the anti virals. I have hsv 2. If i am ,how long is it safe for my body to wait to have sex. ?And to have it less contagious for the guy im seeing. There isnt anything that visable when i get an ob but its very sore so i know its happening. Should i wait two weeks ? Or if i feel better its ok? 
      Let me know your thoughts please. 
    • SillyGirlMel
      By SillyGirlMel
      I've known him for less than a month. I model &he is a young, handsome assistant photographer with whom I was in Mexico with for 5 days. I have been diagnosed with HSV2 for over a year now, but I have only had an outbreak twice within that year& I do take antiviral medication for it. He &I did not know eachother prior to Mexico, but we hit it off& as a single-mother who doesn't get out much I am guilty of making the first move by asking if it was cool to cuddle. I was actually really surprised he said yes, with that being said I do remember thinking to myself,"but I have herpes... okay, we will just cuddle, if he wants more, I will stop it, if I can't stop it I will just give him head." &though that may seem like a naive thought, I am 22 years old& he is the first guy I've ever "hooked-up" with. I've never had sex outside a relationship or several dates, before him. To add, I also do had a friend that I cuddled with, without sex, but I should have noted that I'm not attracted to that friend which is why that probably worked with him. So we did the deed, I didn't stop it, I let it happen because I selfishly wanted it so badly. I even forgot about my herpes for a good couple days after the act. When I looked in my cabinet to get something& saw my prescribed antiviral medication,I realized what I had done. I told him today, it's been 16days since the act.  I was calm& explained to him that because he used a condom&I do take my antiviral medication there is only a 1-2% chance he could have gotten it from me. He didn't seem too upset,& he said he will get back to me after he gets tested &does some research. I promised to pay for the testing &anything else he is troubled with from this incident&at the end of the call he thanked me for telling him. I don't know if I should just back off for now to see how it goes, or if I should be checking-in on him often &sending him links to help him find accurate information on HSV2. I will be working with him again this Wednesday, for a collab photoshoot, but since I'm the one that hired him, I told him I understand if he decides to call it off, he said he won't let this affect his work. Only time can tell, but if there is anything else that you think I can do to ease whatever he may be going through at this time please be gentle with your suggestions. I know what I did was very wrong and I will never do it again, but it doesn't change what happened, I can't take that night back. Honestly, the sex was amazing, one of the best I ever had, and afterward we decided to start-off again as friends and I was okay with that. I felt normal for a moment, and I was extremely happy, but now I remember that I am not normal, and am extremely guilty for putting him at risk without his consent. I don't know if we can continue to be friends, but I do need advice on what I should do next.  He said he will get tested next week and that he will also still do the photoshoot, but he also said he doesn't know how he feels about all this new information because he hasn't done the research on it. I know he will do the research, but with all the stigma I'm afraid his friends will only freak him out if he goes to them for advice, or that he may type the wording wrong in google to get negative results.  I told him the facts, that it's common, that he has nothing to worry, but he should get tested, that it's less likely for women to transmit it to men, and even more unlikely with the medication and protection involved.... but what if he gets tested and it is positive? I asked him if he has hooked-up before, he is 24, and he said yes he has a few times.... so in reality, the thing is that he could have had herpes prior to meeting me, and not even had known it, but I didn't bring that up at all.... I'm not a promiscous person, but my relationship before this hook-up was with a promiscous man, which how I got this... I remember how I felt after finding out, I felt extremely betrayed because I trusted him and even after I knew 100% how I got and asked him about it, he still pretended he was clean.. He is not a good man, but this young man I hooked-up with for one night is a wonderful person, I can tell even if I hadn't known him the year I've known the other. I feel truly awful for what had happened, but I'm worried I may have played it too cool when I called and he may think I have no remorse for what I'd done, but I'm also worried if I text him now with a follow-up apology it will freak him out about the situation... What is my best option now?
    • IcantThinkofaName
      By IcantThinkofaName
      So, I  found some one who was willing to have sex with me .( He doesn't have HSV2 or 1. ) I hadn' t had sex for over 7 months.
      I am really disappointed. It did not go well. The condoms didn't make it any safer. They kept falling off or slipping down, Its just not safe sex at all. Plus, He couldn't stay erect. He couldn't feel anything. I couldn't feel anything... Maybe from the lubrication  I had to use so I wasn't rubbed raw to cause an outbreak. So we had to stop every time. We tried for 4 days. It just wouldn't work.
      The last day he thought it was Ok to have anal unprotected and just did it. I didn't stop him.  I thought he knew it wasn't safe but didn't care. ( so that was the only good sex we had)
      The next day he said he thought it was safe and I had to tell him it wasn't.
      There is no point to have sex anymore if I can't get oral either. I tried a barrier over and it was pointless and I felt nothing.
      And the whole 4 days I was obsessing and checking my vagina to make sure I didn't have  any Obs to infect this guy, And everyday , even while taking AVS, i still "felt" sensations or something that is herpes-like, like I do every day.  I had what turned out to be an ingrown hair that I wasn't sure about either .So 2 of the days I had to explain to him I wasn't quite sure and I handed him latex gloves.
      Total disaster. Pointless. pointless to risk his health for unfulfilling half-real sex
      He was a good sport though. He didn't get so scared. He was willing to try at least. He trusted me to know. But honestly, I don't see how I can be sure and know. I don't know when I am getting an oB- cuz everyday I have some issue that makes me think I am getting one.
      every. damn. day.
      Fuck this shit. I just want to cry and die. I want my old life back before this disease.
      I know the sex would have been awesome this past weekend if not for HSV.

• aspen_tree
      By aspen_tree
      Hi new friends,
      I was just diagnosed with GHSV-1 4 days ago and my sores have completely healed. In fact, my vagina is almost completely back to normal and I'm at 2 weeks from the initial symptoms (I'm terrified another outbreak is coming). BUT my lymph nodes on the left side of my groin are the size of ping-pong balls and are incredibly painful, it feels like someone is having a campfire inside my lymph node. I look like a freaking idiot when I walk on campus because I have a slight limp in my step. Does anyone have any advice on how to reduce this pain? I've tried ice and I'm popping ibuprofen like I'm addicted to it.
      ALSO my boyfriend also tested positive so is it safe for us to continue having unprotected sex? I mean we both have it now (he's asymptomatic, friggin ass hole), so does it matter to have unprotected sex? Has anyone had experience with sex bringing on an OB?
      SO. MANY. QUESTIONS.
    • Tlaloc
      By Tlaloc
      My girlfriend and me, are HSV 2. 6 months I have been positive. My girlfriend 8 months. We both have IGG positive hsv 2 and have a month of relationship. My only symptoms are itching attacks every 3-4 weeks, I donthave sores, vesicles, or ulcers. She has itching attacks and sometimes mild discharge every month. Our question is, having sex without a condom can make the virus get stronger by mixing genetic material in each contact. Or can it make the tables worse? What is symptomatic? Thanks
  • The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • bufshof
      In in the Denver area if anyone is wanting to connect.
    • 35hope
      what does editas have to do with your experiment?
    • viralfrog
      Having HSV-2 has not bothered me at all for casual sex. I'm just avoiding sex during outbreaks, on suppressive therapy and using condoms every time with casual partners. Since my outbreaks appear on top of my penis, even during an outbreak the risk is minimal if I put a condom on as soon as I take my underwear off.  I guess it might be a slightly different case for a girl as if you have external lesions around your groin you could still infect someone even using a condom. And of course, condoms can break, which has happened to me over 10 times and caused myself to get infected in the first place.  I see it as a much more difficult now having a serious relationship, because I can't feel much with a condom on and really want stop using them. However, I don't want to put my new girlfriend to any risk - I would feel terrible if I infected her. 
    • viralfrog
      Does anyone have experience about people's reactions to Herpes in Asia? Personally I live in Thailand where I also caught the virus as a condom broke 4 years ago.  Unfortunately I infected my ex-girlfriend with HSV-2. This was just after I had caught the virus myself and we had sex before I noticed and realised what it was. In the beginning, a local doctor told me I have just hurt my foreskin with my jeans' zipper and the tests came as negative. After getting tested later it came as positive.  Anyways, my ex-gf (well educated, professional, 26 years old then) she had no idea what Herpes was in the first place. She didn't really care too much about it and didn't bother to get tested. During our 3 year relationship we kept having unprotected sex as usual and she never had any issues until at the end one day. She had a very minor outbreak once and nothing after that (lucky her, no like myself who gets terrible symptoms non-stop). I know she has a strong immune system, because she was never sick despite myself having bad colds quite often. In any case, she could not care less about this virus and didn't mind at all.

I've seen a lot of hysteria surrounding Herpes in Europe and the US. What has been your experience in South-East Asian countries like Thailand? Do people perceive HSV-2 as a worrying disease? 
    • Burty
      The full article is behind a paywall but you could write the the authors and request a copy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.