World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Jessross52012

Silver Nitrate Cauterization of Genital Herpes Sore

Jessross52012

I was diagnosed with HSV-1 Genital two years ago. Since then I have had one small outbreak that lasted only a few days and I take daily suppressive therapy, which I feel has contributed to the lack of frequent outbreaks. I have just experienced one outbreak and have had an open ulcer for 3 weeks now. I have been taking a double dosage of valtrex as well as many vitamins and it won’t heal. I finally went back to my doctor today and he decided to cauterize it with silver nitrate. Has anyone experienced this before? He seems to think it will help it finally close and heal. 

WilsoInAus

Wow, no, sorry that sort of treatment went out with the Dark Ages. 

I’m sure there are better more modern treatments that will work - and not involve heavy metals.

IcantThinkofaName

1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

Wow, no, sorry that sort of treatment went out with the Dark Ages. 

I’m sure there are better more modern treatments that will work - and not involve heavy metals.

My gyno just used something like that on me after cutting some skin in my nether regions for a biopsy to seal the wound and stop bleeding and sterilize. I don't think its " dark ages"- it might be common practice depending on what & where. It hurt like hell. It stained the skin dark brown color for a few days. He never did it to my HSV sores though, not even when he cut it open and swabbed it.