World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
kayladewi

Quotes from the Past Few Days

kayladewi

"This cannot be true..." Each morning now I wake up wondering why my girly parts are burning. Then with the sickening realization I remember the doctor's office and the roughest Q-tip I had ever experienced... The results won't be in until next week, but I'm almost sure of the results.

"Where is all the justice in the world?" I know so many other people that casually have sex. I have only been with 2, and I was careful at that. Latex may not be my best friend, but I certainly took full advantage of it. So here I am, living proof that it only takes 1. Oh yeah, the second guy was a virgin.

"Maybe it's shingles.... Or a bad yeast infection?" The single spot on my calf gives me hope... until I move and my stomach heaves from the pain.

"I don't want to go!" I stare at the toilet for an hour or two before my bladder throws a fit and I finally cave. I scared the puppy today with my sobbing... I still haven't found a way to relieve my urination pain. I even tried sitting in the bath tub with lukewarm water. At least I was close to the ground when everything went black.

Maybe I'm just a big baby? Does anyone else feel as miserable as I do? Does this pain ever go away?

MsLucy

If it's any consolation, I only ever had one outbreak like the one you describe, and it was one of the first ones I had. Yes, the burning does stop, the pain subsides, and you'll feel better. And chances are good that this is the worst it will ever get. As time goes by, the ob's generally get milder and more infrequent. That terrible ob was last April. Now it rarely bothers me at all, and I don't take any prescription meds. Take heart. This will pass, and you'll feel better. Promise.

estoy_perdida

i feel your pain

I have never considered myself promiscous at all. I always thought it to be a problem-the way people have "casual sex." I, like you, know a lot of people that "just want to get laid" or oral sex. It pisses me off because some people can be so slutty, yet be so lucky to not catch anything! Then there's those that, like you said "it just takes one." :(

I remember when I had my first ob 2 months ago, I was in so much pain! I cried constantly and couldn't bring myself to believe it was H. I thought if I concentrated hard enough it would end up being just a yeast infection. But, I want you to know the pain does go away. And as time goes on, it tends to get less painful (I've had 2 more ob's since my 1st).

Have you tried taking any pain relievers like advil, aleve, ibuprofen? During my 1st ob, I took an ibuprofen and one aleve then sat in a sitz bath for 15 mins before I urinated. I had trained myself not to pee because it hurt so bad, so it was easy for me to sit in a bath for a little while. :( Even without the bath, the pain relievers helped a little. When I was diagnosed by my Dr. he gave me a prescription for lidocaine. It's a cream that you can put on your sores and it numbs the area. It hurt a lot when I first applied it (since you do have to smear it on the sores) but soon after, the pain went away. I couldn't feel my area down under and it really helped take my mind off the pain. Maybe you can visit the Dr and see if that would help.

Good Luck!

estoy_perdida

forgot to mention...

It also helps to wear loose clothing. If you stay away from things like jeans (which can rub your genitals while walking or sitting) for a while, it might help relieve the pain. Also, cotton undies are helpful in helping to heal your area. I read on a post some time ago that someone put pieces of toilet paper in between their "lips" down there to keep them from rubbing together. Hope this helps!

Mya

I can totally relate with the bit about the Q-tip at the doctor's office (I started crying and gripping the sides of the exam chair) and the pain with urination; I've been holding it in until I absolutely have to go, then crying out in pain when I do (although I've found that kinda "spreading yourself out" down there helps because the urine doesn't hit the sores as much). Just hang in there, it's not the end of the world. As you can see you're not alone and people do understand what you are going through and want to help :)

sbr004

I can relate with you. I was diagnosed about a month and a half ago. I got it from my boyfriend who didn’t know he had it and he was my first. SO I completely understand the why me when I’m not half as bad mentality of it all. I have learned that life isn’t fair and you have two options: sit there and dwell upon it making you situations even worse or take the problems and say SO WHAT, move on, and make the best out of it.

That's what I have done and it's working so far. ((I'm not gonna say I don't have the occasional break down sessions, but I am getting through it and you will too even though it may seem impossible right now)) Just know you aren’t alone and others are going through this too. That little bit of reassurance helped me. My life is really busy so I just did everything possible to not focus on it because the more you freak out and stress, the more potential you have for your outbreak to get worse.

As far as the pain, writercll is right -- it will eventually get better and you shouldn't have an outbreak that bad again. I sure haven't and I thank God everyday for that. My first outbreak was almost unbearable; I got prescribed percocets for the pain which helped me get through the days. A member on here told me to put hydrogen peroxide on the sores several times a day to help relieve the pain, stop the itching for a while, and dry the sores out. I have found this to work wonders! As far as using the bathroom, I sat in a warm tub and I had to move the water around with my hand as I peed so none of the pee would touch my sores. It still burned a little but not half as bad. Also, take a bath for at least 30 minutes in Epsom Salt once a day. It should help dry things up.

Well, that’s what worked for me. Hopefully, it can be of some assistance to you!

generalization

I know how you feel. I've only had intercourse with one person, my husband, and we are not even a month away from our two year wedding anniversary and we were having sex for a while before we got married.

My husband never has shown signs. Has never had cold sores or fever blisters. And yet, I have been diagnosed with genital HSV-1.

True, there is a slight chance I caught it from my ex. He performed oral sex on me maybe 3 times (and for no more than 30 seconds each time) in the year we dated. I can't remember if he ever complained of cold sores or fever blisters or anything.

My husband is convinced that regardless of whether he gave it to me or not, he has it by now as well. We were going to get him blood tested, but it was going to cost us well over $100 to have just one of us have a blood test (mine was a swab test). I wanted him to be tested (for peace of mind, and for the selfish reason that he's had half a dozen sexual partners and never been tested yet I have only had him and HAVE had to have a STD test, and tested positive at that. Even though I know tons of people have herpes, I still feel very alone in the relationship because he hasn't ever had any STD testing.)

I was given a bottle of acyclovir when the doctor did my swab test. I took it for 10 days and towards the end of that is when all symptoms (itching, burning etc) finally subsided.

I'm sorry your test hurt so badly. When the doctor was doing mine she kept warning me that it would probably hurt while she was doing the scraping/swabbing. But I honestly didn't really feel anything. It was so late in the outbreak though I guess I was either used to pain, or it was starting to subside (I didn't go in for about a week after I first started showing symptoms because I have a history of having sensitive skin and rashes)

I agree with the others that you should try some advil or something, and warm baths (I used sea salt and actually I tried tea tree oil, but the latter was too strong for me. I think I used too much). And I did try some diluted tea tree oil applied to the painful, itchy areas. It helped numb it some.

Good luck to you hun. I definitely know how you feel.

bristolgal

Aaaah, I remember screaming on the loo the first 4-5 outbreaks that I had. I don't miss that at all!

Bath CAN help, but not in all cases as it doesn't flow away enough quickly sometimes.

I personally found that pouring a large jug of coldish water on the area helped when I was going for a wee.

Tissue doesn't really help, it just delays the enevitable.

And clean the area afterwards (remember, its broken skin), savlon spray is pretty good at stopping a skin infection inside a OB.

kayladewi

Thanks for the Support

Thank you for all your help guys. I did manage to make it through this ob.... Only itching remains. I was truly lucky that it didn't last the potential 6 weeks! I surely would have gone nuts at that! The doctor hasn't called me yet with the results, and almost two weeks has gone by since the Q-tip incident (by the way, I still can't bring myself to use them anymore).

I truly gave a go at everything on the list... The bathtub was a washout (literally) and the best thing I could do was to drink like a fish and try to dilute the urine. I definately think I need a new gyno now, since my regular doc swore on Monday she couldn't see me till Friday and I was forced to attend our county's Health Department.

That numbing stuff sounds like it would have worked great. The thought crossed my mind once or twice to put the numbing stuff they give teething babies down there, but I had already put so much goop (diaper rash stuff, yeast infection cream, among various forms of aloe), that I was afraid I would irritate it farther. There is nothing worse than a pissed off OB.

I will update you guys when I get my test results back. Sorry I haven't written sooner.

P.S. May there be a chance the ob was triggered by a kidney stone?

kayladewi

The Final Word

HSV-1

The only thing I can figure is that I am carrying the virus in my mouth... Never had a cold sore but my ex did. He didn't like to give me oral though... So that's my best guess.

My boyfriend is starting to warm up to me. For the first few days after my outbreak started, he wouldn't even put his arm around me. We're back to kissing and cuddling, and he even got around to touching "down there" last night. I made sure he washed his hands and used a bit of Germ-X just to be safe. I don't know if he'll ever get around to being any more intimate with me again.

So the blisters are all healed up and the only things remaining are the pain of the memories of it all, and the constant fear that it can come back any day. I know chances are slim that it will ever be that bad again, but chances were slim that I would get herpes too, right? (Note I say that because I was with only 1 previously sexually active person and used condoms religiously).

I feel like I was betrayed by my own preconception that condoms and selective sexual encounters would keep me safe. Before this, I didn't even know you could transmit herpes via oral sex. I don't want other people to make the same mistake that I did. Too bad I can't stop them...

catiesmom
HSV-1

The only thing I can figure is that I am carrying the virus in my mouth... Never had a cold sore but my ex did. He didn't like to give me oral though... So that's my best guess.

I'm confused. You have HSV-1 and had a genital outbreak. Why would you think you're "carrying it in your mouth"? Sounds to me like you have HSV-1 genitally. Kinda sounds like you DON'T have it orally.

kayladewi

Sounds like it yes, but if you can carry the virus without knowing it or showing symptoms, what is so crazy about me having HSV 1 in my mouth and infecting myself?

catiesmom

It's not crazy at all, i just wouldn't suspect that's how you got it. More likely you got it from someone else. I would think the chances of infecting yourself with a type you already have without even having an OB would be very slim. Once your body builds immunities to it, it's pretty hard to pass it around your own body. You would have had to pass it to yourself genitally within the first 4 months or so after contracting it. And i'm guessing if you had it in both places, you'd be more likely to have an oral outbreak than a genital one.