World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
okokokok

Worse

okokokok

The recap on my story... I met a girl and we came back to my place, we messed around a bit, boxers stayed on, but grinding in the area, a few days later started to get signs of herpes. I have been with one other woman in a long term relationship for the past 4 years. Doc confirmed herpes with visual inspection. About 8 months ago I was tested for all STD's except herpes, all negative.

So timeline for me a little over 8 weeks ago I think I may have been exposed if it was from the boxer incident. Within two weeks I began to show signs of an OB; about 4 weeks from first signs everything seems to be getting ok down there, but I did feel some tingling and such and it drove me crazy. So by week 5 I have an OB again and now a little over 3 weeks later I still show signs and I'm not sure if they are going away or not. I don't get much in the way of blisters, but the internal symptoms are the worst.

I talked with the girl and she tells me she just got tested for everything including herpes and it all came back negative, she got tested after our night upon my request. To be honest I don't know if I believe her. She also told me she was on her period when we fooled around. Now I'm afraid about HIV especially since my symptoms seem to be lingering longer than typical.

I'm getting tested for HIV next week. My doctor said that you really don't get HIV through clothing, but that's what everyone has said to me about herpes too. That will be almost 10 weeks and the doctor said with my low risk of infection and over 97% effectiveness of the test at that point it is long enough to wait.

I guess I am just starting to understand that herpes is not that bad; to think about something that could kill you and end your life, herpes is just a drop in the pan and really isn't something that is all that scary. Everything is life is relative. I wanted to thank everyone in here for all of the support and information; I hope everything works out for me.

catiesmom

Has your doctor tried testing you for anything else? I don't know off hand what could cause your symptoms, but if she's negative for HSV, unless you've had it for a long time and it's just now surfaced, maybe it's not HSV?

okokokok

not yet

No I haven't gone in and gotten tested for anything else. Herpes has never been confirmed via blood or swab test either. My previous blood lab result was only 15 days after my exposure and HSV1 positive, but when I was little I used to get cold sores, and there wasn't enough time for the test to be conclusive. There were no antibodies to test in the blood and my doctor didn't want to test my OB because they looked like they were healing and the test would be inconclusive.

I have an appointment for STD testing in a few days here; I think I will just run the whole range of tests to be sure of everything. The funny thing is that if I didn't show signs of herpes I would say that my STD chance of having any STD was under 1% because I haven't really had sexual contact with anyone recently. Now I'm just hoping it's only herpes and concerned about worse.

okokokok

Thanks Catiesmom

Well I finally mustered the courage to go in and pick up my test results; they were negative (on the HIV front). Because my herpes symptoms and to some degree OB (still have small bumps a lot smaller than they were in the beginning) haven't gone away yet sitting at 9th week of OB (they sort of went away once, but never completely, maybe this is just how it looks when they start to go away??? 11 weeks since I was potentially exposed. I was convinced I had HIV.

Everywhere you read says OB's don't last longer than 2-4 weeks typically and at most 6 weeks.

I don't know what the hell is going on. Valtrex doesn't really seem to help all that much. Added to the fact that I didn't even have direct sexual contact with the woman before my symptoms this is all just so confusing. I need to go in and get an HSV blood test I think; and get tested for other STD's. I need to figure this out...

Well herpes is really looking like not a very big deal at this point. I'm just glad I can live and have a family with the white picket fence someday.

Thanks catiesmom

catiesmom

Maybe you're having back-to-back outbreaks with NO break between? It does seem like a LONG time to have an outbreak, but i'm blessed with a fairly mild version. It's FANTASTIC you don't have anything else, though. I'm sure, in light of what could have been, it's a positive thing.

Have you actually been tested positive for HSV? You can get a swab or a blood test and be fairly certain. I'm just wondering if, given how long it's gone on, it's not something else. HIV it isn't, which is wonderful, but something else? An on-going infection of some kind? Dunno. Did your doctor give you any ideas, alternatives, suggestions, ANYTHING?

helied2me

Hey OK, I definitely know how you're feeling. Just never heard that from a man here before. I had an initial OB of 6 1/2 weeks, had no symptoms for 6 or 7 days then it started up again and the Famvir sample my gyno gave me doesn't seem to be working very well. This OB is actually worse than the initial OB, day seven again, and I can't get over stressing out about it! I know that doesn't help me but I just can't.

I gave into taking the prozac my Dr. prescribed hoping I can relieve some of this anxiety but I'm sure that will take some time. I'm barely hanging on so if you find something that stops your OB, please let me know! I have a feeling Valtrex isn't going to help me either!

two2

I was tested 3 times before i actually tested positive for herpes, and the valtrex didn't work all that well for me either. It worked for about 5 days (which is the length of the supressive dose that they give you) but when I went of the treatment, the herpes came back and then went away two days later. The outbreaks got way better over time though, the last one lasted a day and wasn't even painful. Those were my experiences at least.

It's so weird about the boxer girl . . . do you think maybe she was having an outbreak when you messed around? I guess there is no way to know if she was lying about it or not.

Good to you!