World's Largest Herpes Support Group
thunder

Do I have HSV1 & HSV2?!

thunder

I have been struggling with bad pressure headaches in the back of my head since september, and in january found out I had Lymes, was put on antibiotics, got a little better and headaches came back. Got tested for lymes again and my neurologist said I probably don’t have it anymore so he tested me for West Nile and Herpes 1 & 2. West Nile was negative and my herpes 1&2 blood test came back positive which was taken on February 28th. And the blood test showed I recently contracted it. Now I have never had sex, or have been given or received oral before. But the first weekend in february I was with my ex and he did finger me for a few minutes. Now this is the only type of sexual activity I’ve ever done besides kissing. This kind of scares me and I thought HSV 2 was genital and was transmitted through intercourse and oral, but that never happened. I am on an antibiotic for it now. Still experiencing my bad headaches daily like before and a week ago I was sick with a sore throat and cough and was starting to feel better, but my sore throat is back and I notice some bumps on the back of my throat and some small white patches on my tonsils, could this be herpes or just my sore throat. My sister is a nurse and afternoon spring break I am going to get retested for Lymes and Herpes, because she said blood tests often give false positives and that it’s weird since I never performed in intercourse or oral.  I’m very concerned on if I have herpes and paranoid  now especially since I see these bumps on the back of my throat. Is it possible to have both HSV1&2 when all I’ve done is kiss my ex and did that one thing? 

cracked

You could have HSV-1 orally from kissing or since you were a child, but definitely not HSV-1 genitally or HSV-2 orally. How was the doctor able to tell if you had contracted it recently? Do you know if it was an IGG test?

thunder
Posted (edited)

Yes the IGG was positive thus showing the recent infection and exposure. Just freaked out on if I actually have both types or if they are false positives, or if i could just have one type. After I’m done with my antibiotics, i’m waiting a week and going back to get retested. And definitely confused on how I could have type 2. 

EDITED: The IGM was positive meaning recent exposure 

Edited by thunder

WilsoInAus

What you’re saying isn’t quite aligned. IgG tests confirm long term infections. IgM are theoretically suggestive of a recent infection only if the IgG is negative.

Do you have a full printout of these tests?

thunder

Okay my mistake, whichever one is for recent exposure. So it was the IGM that was positive. 

WilsoInAus

That’s an important clarification!

Many IgM tests are also combined, did you just get a single result for HSV 1/2?

Was your IgG negative for both HSV-1 and HSV-2?

Your IgM testing does not confirm a herpes infection. As you have not received vaginal sex, genital HSV-2 is virtually an impossibility.

Your positive IgM can be caused for a number of reasons. You may have a childhood oral HSV-1 infection. Have you ever had oral cold sores? Further there are many false positives. 

I’d also suggest that herpes is extremely unlikely to be involved as a cause of your headaches.

thunder

I included a picture of my lab results.  I don’t believe I have ever had a cold sore as a child but I have had canker sore‘s a bunch when I was little, if that’s the same thing I’m not sure. 

I also believe herpes is not causing this bad of a headache since I’ve had one for so long. 

Did wake up this morning still with a sore throat still and a 99.9 low grade fever and a little bit of drainage but not much. Not sure still if the red bumps on the back of my throat and small white patches on my tonsils are a sign of strep or the bumps are herpes. 

Just doesn’t make sense how I could have herpes though. 

image.jpg

Fgirl1222

It’s kinda hard to say because both your IGGs are negative and an IGM is unreliable because it can’t differentiate the types 

WilsoInAus

The IgG results are the important ones. This confirm you do not have herpes.

IgM in theory can suggest a recent infection. But without an outbreak this is more likely a false positive. 

Follow up with your doctor for your symptoms. 

thunder

Thank you so much for your information! Not sure if the spots on the back of my throat is an outbreak or just allergies/strep/sore throat. Hoping that’s what it is 

Headshoulderskneesandtoes
On 3/10/2018 at 3:00 PM, thunder said:

Thank you so much for your information! Not sure if the spots on the back of my throat is an outbreak or just allergies/strep/sore throat. Hoping that’s what it is 

Did it end up being strep or hsv?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• Hellosally
      By Hellosally
      I just found out I have both HSV 1 and HSV 2.  I am completely in shock! I wanna say I’ve had symptoms but they were on my genitals and only appeared to be razor bumps to me because they weren’t painful just slight uncomfortable.  I would also get cysts down there only after shaving and they would only last a couple days.  
      Here is what I know.  The test was IgG and tested for both separate I believe.  On the index Herpes 1 is >5.00 and Herpes 2 is 1.27.  I’m so confused because I’ve never had obvious symptoms and tested positive for BOTH.  Do you believe these tests are accurate.  This was a blood test and idk what to do or even think I can’t eat and have just been in bed all day.
    • blackgirlsrock
      By blackgirlsrock
      I just got diagnosed with genital herpes (idk which type) this August-september ish. I’ve been on Valacyclovir for almost 2 months now, but i still experience itching, & weird discharge, which i think may be caused by an outbreak. Any suggestions on what i can do? 
    • dancingmoontj
      By dancingmoontj
      I´m adding to pics : one from wednesday Dec 5th and today Monday Dec 10th.
      Went to consultation and doctor  gave me a prescription right away : with local aciclovir and valtrax .
      I haven´t get my blood lab or swab test yet. I´m still confused the way internet explain how herpes symptomps are, and all of these does not applied to me.
      this appear a day after having sex with my boydriend and that night we didnt even practice oral sex. 2 days before I shave with an old razor and the hair still short. I know it could be herpes and I´m accepting it but there´s many pics and symptoms out there on the pages that make me feel confused.
      Thanks for reading

• Arrabella
      By Arrabella
      Hello, im new here & ive been diagnosed with herpes 1 on my genitals today. For about 4 days the symptoms were getting worse to the point where i knew i had it. Swollen vagina, lesions that were wet looking & oozing yellow watery fluid. I could hardly walk & still cant. The pain is horrendous. Anyway, to my question. Im very confused, & i know there is no way i can tell who i got it off. After my 4 year relationship, i was saddened & i wanted to do anything to get my mind off him. Less then a year later, i began seeing a guy in march this year. We had a sexual relationship, we had sex, gave each other oral, kissed. ( sorry for the details but its relevant) i only saw him about 6 times in the 3 months we were seeing each other. Anyway, after that ended, i did end up with thrush & bacterial vaginosis. & on and off the opening around my vagina was red and irritatable. I was tested over and over again during the year nothing came up. I began seeing a new guy, who i like very much. So i thought id test myself again to be sure before starting a relationship. 2 weeks ago, My doctor did a swab & a urine test to cancel out herpes. It came back negative. I was beyond happy. Now, this is where it gets confusing. Seeing this guy, both having feelings for each other we had sex with protection & 2 days later i gave him oral sex . & that is all we have done. Protected sex, he fingered me,  i gave him oral sex & we have kissed alot. Now, a week later after that, that is when i began getting those symtoms & it was getting worse everyday. Today i found out that i do indeed have hsv 1 & i am petrified telling my new boy. It is early & i dont know how he will react either. + he knows everyone in my area so if it ever gets out i dont know how i will live with myself knowing people know i have this. Its not something to be ashamed about, but the whole social stigma about it makes me worry. Im really upset about it & crying while im writing this. My doctor didnt really tell me any info even after i asked. But because i have hsv1 on my genitals does that mean its not on my mouth & im fine to kiss? I was thinking continuing to see him for a few weeks & if its something special i will tell him... but im just wondering if kissing is okay.. + could i have got this of him? Any info or opinions would be grately appreciated. Thank you 
    • Fernholly
      By Fernholly
      A few weeks ago I thought I felt a yeast infection coming on. It made sense because I had a throat infection ( which appeared to be strep but tested but negative — could this be related?) a few weeks prior and started but didn’t finish amoxicillin since the strep came back negative. So I was in a ton of pain, 3 days of Monistat and nothing, so I call my primary care to get something and she says “could it be herpes?” I said no way, there are no bumps, just discharge, and itching, pain around the clitoris, plus I’m just thinking of how long I’ve been with my BF. So she prescribed me something and I hope to get better. The next day I felt a small sore on my lip near my anus, and had my boyfriend check it out. He said it just looked like a little cut but my heart sank because I remembered the doctor suggested herpes. I scheduled an apt with my OBGYN. By this time I had multiple small sores and she told me I had herpes. She swabbed the sores around my clitoris that had been causing me so much pain, it felt like sandpaper and I just cried and cried and wanted to die. I told her I had been with my boyfriend for 3 years, it didn’t make any sense. He never had visible cold sores anywhere. I was worried he cheated on me. She explained the shedding and suggested he likely passed it on during oral sex if he’s had cold sores in the past. My test came back positive for HSV1 a few days later. Its been almost a week since I’ve had any visible sores but I’m still in shock. I can’t enotionally process this still. My boyfriend acts like since it’s “only HSV1” I won’t have many OB’s and that I’m lucky. I’ve been having lots of nerve pain even after the sores have cleared up, I worry it will bother me not only during OBs but all the time, just not as intensely. But I can’t help but still be angry that he gave this to me, and never even bothered to tell me he had cold sores in the past. I never imagined this happening to me because I thought I found my person forever and would never have to worry about catching an sti. I’m just so concerned since stress is a major trigger and I am going to medical school next year, so I will have many many years of stress ahead and I’m not quite sure I can balance the stress, and the pain and emotional toll of an OB. Can anyone with gHSV1 talk to me? I’m feeling pretty alone. 
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.