World's Largest Herpes Support Group
ConfusedLocation

HSV-1 Genital? Or Yeast Infection?

ConfusedLocation

Back in December I received unprotected oral sex. I also entered the girls vagina for about 3 minutes when she said "we can't...im....not on the pill" so she continued with the oral sex. It was pretty rough oral and lasted an extremely long time. I noticed almost immediately (including during the blowjob) some discomfort in my urethra. That continued the next morning when I urinated but it was very slight. It persisted somewhat during the week and I noticed some pain while ejaculating. Pain isn't really the right word - more discomfort which would be somewhat relieved while ejaculating but result in further discomfort after ejaculation. That following weekend (1 week post encounter) I went skiing and was wearing synthetic long johns for 3 straight days basically with minimal washing (very very poor hygiene - lots of sweating in tight tight clothes). I was also noticing serious burning and itching at the glans penis during this time. I had no lesions at this time but one somewhat large, flesh colored, painless bump that never ulcerated and went away after about 3 days.

I had also been shaving at that time and I have very curly pubic hair and lots of it on the base of my shaft (where the bump occurred). I get irritation from shaving rather frequently but not usually an ingrown hair.

I was masturbating frequently at this time (upwards of 3x daily) as it was a slight relief to the itch/burning as was peeing (strangely relieving once I started but painful to start and stop). And was cracking my skin somewhat and noticed a white-ish film developing near the head/base of the head of my penis. I also noticed a white curd-like discharge after ejaculations. I could not tell if the discharge was semen or something else but it was like white-ish cheese and did not smell like semen.

I went to the doctor who prescribed clotrimazole to be applied daily for two weeks. We also did a full battery of STD testing, including for HSV2. I applied daily for about a week and symptoms went away. I stopped treatment.

I got a phone call from my doctor saying I had tested low-positive for HSV2 (2.2). I was dumbfounded. I did some research and found out that, if one has HSV1 and takes a a serological bloodtest (HerpeSelect Elisa IGg) there are high rates of false-positives with low-positive results.

I remember as a child getting what I remember as cold sores on my lip and under my nose on two occasions (age 12-13; I am now 23 and have not had one since that I can remember)

I went back to the Dr. and got another IGg, tested positive again but also drew blood for a Western Blot test. The Western Blot confirmed my suspicion of a false positive for HSV2 (negative on Western Blot) but came back positive for HSV1 (not totally surprising).

I then was of the belief that my urethritis symptoms were solely from a yeast infection.

I just got back from another ski trip yesterday. Similarly was in tight synthetic clothing for upwards of 48 hours, in the car sweating, etc. The Urethritis symptoms have returned. Is it possible I have another yeast infection? Did I not kill the first one completely? Keep in mind I had been applying coconut oil (anti-fungal) every single day twice a day and was feeling great. When I went skiing this weekend I did not at all and now see a recurrence in symptoms (I think?)

I was also rather dehydrated this morning and my one bout of dysuria seems to be gone.... (in the space of like 2 hours? and after drinking fluids its now gone?) Now I am starting to think this is all in my head.

Or do I have genital HSV-1? Is it possible to have urethral symptoms of HSV-1 without any lesions presenting? I am constatnly touching the same spot where the rather large flesh-colored bump occured and am convincing myself that it is coming back or that I am feeling it again but it doesn't really look like it. I recently read a study about atypical presentations of herpes that says symptoms with no lesions can occur but that study was only of HSV-2.

At this point I am driving myself mad with questions/giving myself hypochondria. But the dribbling urine was definite this morning. But now no itch is truly present, other than me being slightly more "aware" of my urethra/glans penis. This has faded over the course of the day.

Does any of this sound like a genital HSV-1 infection? Maybe my memory is not serving well and this was a primary infection all along? But still a primary infection with no real symptoms other than lesions?

I will be going in for another Western Blot in April (full 5-6 months post exposure) and am not sure what else it will tell me. But I will be going to see my doctor this week as well.

I just need a fresh set of eyes to read over these circumstances and give their opinion. Running circles in my own head is not helping at all. Thank and I apologize for the absurdly long post. As you can probably tell I am beginning to drive myself nuts. I felt great from January-February after I received the negative test results for HSV-2 but am not starting to think maybe I have genital HSV-1 and not the oral that I thought I've had all along? Thanks in advance. I've both driven myself mad reading these forums and also learned a lot and seen the incredible support you all offer each other. Even if I do have GHSV-1 its not the end of the world. The uncertainty, though, is a killer.

By the way, if its not clear I am a male.

WilsoInAus

You have worked through all these issues with a heavy dose of reason despite some understandable anxiety. Those damn false positive tests!

I am of the view that you do not need any further information regarding herpes, it is all here now.

I think perhaps there is just one additional factor that needs to feature in your thinking. That is that having HSV-1 in one location makes you immune (meaning zero to negligible) chance of an infection elsewhere. There is no documented case of this occurring for a make for example. Even if for some reason it did happen, you wouldn't experience the symptoms you describe, you probably would not even know as the immune system is already in top gear.

So as you say, it is either a primary infection of HSV-1 or HSV-2 or not herpes at all.

I am guessing from above that you did not test for HSV-1 first time round? How many days after the episode was you first set of IgG tests? How long from the episode to the Westernblot?

The odds here a simply overwhelmingly that you have a childhood HSV-1 infection, why?:
- as much as 50% of the population are infected at a very young age and mostly from one of their parents
- you have some memory of cold sores
- your testing looks to be all inside 12 weeks yet feels like your HSV-antibodies are nice and strong indicating a much longer term infection.

ConfusedLocation

Thank you for the reply! It's much appreciated.

You're guess is correct: the first time my doctor tested me (3rd week of December) was a little over 2 weeks from my "exposure" and my doctor only tested for HSV-2, which which yielded a low-positive (now known to be a false positive).

Western Blot was within 3 months of "exposure" as well.

I suppose my only desire for re-testing via Western Blot is to confirm, without a shadow of a doubt, that I am HSV-2 negative 6 months post-exposure.

There is just this small bump at the base of my shaft that, now, is not raised in anyway whatsoever, but I feel "aware" of! I am going to get it swabbed tomorrow just to be sure! But even now I am laughing at how ridiculous this all sounds.

I suppose I have just become hyper-conscious of any sensation "down there" and it is affecting my psyche. No wonder the CDC does not recommend herpes blood testing without clear symptoms!

I, too, am about 70% positive that this is just a childhood infection that I have now confused with what was a pretty bad yeast infection.

This has all been an incredible learning experience. Thanks again for reading through all of this. With a lot of the knowledge I've gained and hope to gain, I do hope I can do the same for someone soon.

WilsoInAus

Yes you are very much on top of things. You are balancing the rational and the emotional and that's really cool.

As I am sure you are aware, at two weeks you pretty much cannot possible test positive on IgG if truly infected those two weeks prior. There are many reasons why people have a false positive and having HSV-1 is one of these reasons. I'd suggest that having a false positive at the two week mark is an indicator that HSV-1 was present - not at all evidence standard as such, but another pointer to add to the scales.

I see yes that as your testing was inside 12 weeks for the Westernblot, a further one adds peace of mind.

Although there are many stories on websites like this about possible atypical infections, most transpire not to be herpes. Even those that do need to be taken in the context that for every one such story, there are hundreds and maybe thousands of unwritten stories, the ones that go... "I had an outbreak of few nasty sores on my penis that were pretty itchy and uncomfortable, I got them swabbed and presto, genital herpes".

I do hope you arrive at a definitive answer as to what caused your issues. The reality is though, many people do not, it just clears and they're back to normal (and normal business!) soon enough.

ConfusedLocation

It’s just strange that I’ve now noticed some changes to my semen (pretty much, along with itch, what started it all.)

I’m feeling quite confident that this is all a result of a nasty yeast infection in my urethra/possibly my prostate but there is so little literature of yeast/candida infections in men other than balantis (which I definitely had). 

There’s also the reality that yeast infections and herpes infections often go hand in hand. I’m going into urgent care today to get this small spot swabbed - that same flesh colored spot that looks like focculitis (which I have all over my junk but this one place seems a bit larger, but I’m also hyper conscious). I don’t know. I also finally reached out to the person who gave me oral that night to ask if she was suffering from a yeast infection at the time or if she gets cold sores. Should’ve done that in the beginning. 

I’ll update this thread accordingly just in case there are any other guys out there wondering about yeast vs. herpes and whatnot. So much info is out there but more could never hurt.

ConfusedLocation

Also thank you so much for the replies. They were informative, rational, and supportive. Really can’t express how grateful I am that forums like this one exist. 

ConfusedLocation

Just wanted to update:

Have a scheduled appointment upcoming with a dermatologist to go over the small bump that has returned since my last ski trip. It seems to coincide with a return in removed hair but that could be a clogged sebaceous gland or a herpetic lesion forming due to skin irritation/damage.

Still, I went into urgent care to ask about the dysuria and change in semen quality/smell of yeast. Doctor agreed with my belief that I had developed an internal yeast infection due to letting the original infection go on for so long/not finishing out my clotrimazol prescription initially.

Was prescribed Diflucan and have just finished my treatment there. Definitely feel better. No more itch or burn whatsoever. However, still experiencing uncomfortable ejaculation/a change in semen quality - although both have noticeably descreased since treatment (meaning the discomfort has lessened and semen quality was a bit closer to normal).

Beginning to think this is all a matter of prostatitis. Whether bacterial, yeast-induced, both, or chronic I cannot yet be sure. Will be going to the dermatologist next week and am scheduling a visit to the urologist.

I will visit after my PCR swab next week. The reality is, even if my symptoms are all a result of yeast infection or bacteria, the fact that it has recurred so strongly/has been tough to beat could still point to an underlying herpes infection leading to my being immunocompromised.

Highly unlikely but just trying to lay out all possibilities.

If I can offer any bit of advice to gain insight, though, begin keeping a journal of your symptoms. Since beginning and keeping my own I've been able to reason out that the timeline of my symptoms would make genital herpes a highly unlikely culprit in this case.

Anyway, thanks again. Will be updating again soon.

ConfusedLocation

oh also reached out to the girl - she does not have any form of herpe, oral or genital. This, at least somewhat, adds credibility to my memory that I have had HSV-1 orally from childhood. I've kissed plenty of people between childhood and her but it just adds weight to my memories.

She also says she did not have a yeast infection. But given my extenuating circumstances at the time (my diet, other lifestyle factors) plus the reality that vaginas can support a healthy amount of yeast in the vagina as compared to men, plus my excessive masturbation at the time, it is quite possible I brought this little bug on myself. Just so guys know this can happen from poor diet/hygiene, habit, etc.

Chris Taylor

Can you post a picture ? Only if you feel comfortable of course. 

ConfusedLocation

Hey just an update,

some context: I have forever spots on my shaft they are prominent

i thought I perhaps was having an outbreak at the base of my shaft and went in to see a dermatologist he said it was folliculitis. He said he could not swab what was not a lesion  

Going in for more blood draws/a PCR today. At my GP. 

Really freaking out that maybe I had just blood tested too early while seroconverting. 

Anxiety is making me weak in the legs and heart rate is insanely elevated. Will update again after results. Here I was thinking I was negative the last few weeks and it may all have just been cruel torture.

the “folliculitis” that I attacked with a pair of tweezers hasn’t healed since Monday/Tuesday night but it never stung or oozed meaning, if this is GH, it’s an atypical presentation. I already know what my GP will say (that it’s herpes) but he’s the same guy who had never heard of a Western Blot. 

I don’t even care that I might have this. Just the thought that I may have given it to past partners. It’s devastating...

i will update later. Can’t take pictures as I am busy at work

ConfusedLocation

Just got back from the GP. He, like the Derm said what I thought may have been lesions are not. Just my own anxiety driven attack with a pair of tweezers. 

Drew blood for another IGg ELISA test as well as my second WB. Pray for me. Really hoping this is all just some sick mind game...

ConfusedLocation

If my IGg score comes in lower than the original 2.2 I will be feeling pretty confident. If it goes up significantly I’ll likely have my answer before the WB results even come in. 

Also had a PCR swan done despite my doctor’s objections. Confused as to why they tell a patient not to do a test...just seems so backwards/bizarre...

anyway i will update after the weekend when I get my results.  Prayers up. 

ConfusedLocation

Got my IGG and swab tests back  

igg was 2.1

waiting on paired WB  

unsure how to feel

will upsate when WB comes back

jermhoop

Is that igg for HSV1 or HSV2?

ConfusedLocation

HSV2

ive never had an IGG for HSV1, but I’m was positive for HSV1 on my first western blot

ConfusedLocation

2nd (paired sera) WB results came back today....indeterminate again. Given the amount of time since last possible exposure and two indeterminate separated by 3 months, the second being a paired comparative test) the University of Washington unofficial diagnosed me as negative. Thanks to all. I will be staying active on the forums to help others who might find themselves in a similar situation

WilsoInAus

95% of indeterminates are negative. It looks as though a limited range of proteins are triggering the IgG band in HSV testing for you.