World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
soitgoes12

Just found out the bad news - depressed

soitgoes12

Hi all, 

So I've always had cold sores and I had always been careful when I get a cold sore not to let it near my genital area, but either my last partner had genital herpes or my cold sore traveled down when he went down on me, in any case, I have HSV 2 now. I actually was tested 3 months ago but I was too afraid to learn of the results, so I never called. Then I started dating, but wasn't having sex. I met someone, handsome, good job, creative, too good for me. Then I got drunk and accidentally hooked up, but this was before I found out the results. I don't have any symptoms but I'm stressed. I should've found out the results before it all, but I wasn't thinking. I pushed it out of my mind and pretended I was normal. But I'm not. I'm feel awful. I also feel like he'll reject me. 

Anyways.. I also hate myself for this. I just don't know how to pretend like I'm normal and just like everyone else now. 

Jimmyjimmyhuapua

First of all calm down, everything is gonna be okay by time. You will learn how to deal with this. I know its bothering but you could have worse diseases. At least its not killing. You can read here how to supress your ooutbreaks and get used to live with virus. Dont blame your self and dont hate yourself we are gonna live somehow untill there will be a cure for this

WilsoInAus

Hi @soitgoes12 sometimes tests are not quite interpreted correctly.

Which test was positive for HSV-2? What values?

Note that HSV-2 is a distinct virus from HSV-1. If you have HSV-2 then it comes from a partner and not your oral infection. Also note that it’s extremely difficult to infect another region with the same herpes type owing to your immune system.

soitgoes12

Really? The doctor told me it was isolated test. But I don't have the results or anything. She just told me it was HSV-2. But I've never been tested for HSV-1, it was pretty obvious by the cold sore on my lip what it was. I'm agonizing on how to even talk about this. It feels like a horrible nightmare. 

WilsoInAus

My point is though, that it may be little more than a nightmare that you'll awake from.

If you've never had an outbreak of lesions on your genitals, then the benefit of the doubt goes with not having genital herpes.

I suggest you talk to your doctor and say "please, as a sexual responsible adult, I would like a printout of my tests in order to have an informed discussion with future partners".

With those test results we can really delve into your true status and offer some pointers.