World's Largest Herpes Support Group
littelion

PCR Testing in NYC?

littelion

Hi guys,

I live in NYC and have been struggling with strange genital/lower body symptoms for the past few months. Blood tests show a low positive (1.2ish) for HSV-1 and a negative (<.2) for HSV-2. I have a history of cold sores so the HSV-1 is not surprising. I've had a few small nicks and scratches genitally that I've tried to have tested to see whether what I'm dealing with is HSV-1 orally and genitally (I think it's possible I contracted both simultaneously, or potentially contracted it genitally after having it orally, though I know that is somewhat controversial), but all of the urgent care centers I have gone to only use viral culture which I know is less effective than PCR.

Does anyone live in NYC and know of a place that definitely offers PCR testing from lesions?

Scooby2112

Sorry not in NYC.  

However I agree it would be very low chance you have hsv genitally especially if you know you had it orally.  

While possible it’s very low probability.  

What symptoms do you have genitally that you question?   HSV1 genitally would be less active than orally.  Have you been checked for Bv and yeast?   

littelion

My symptoms are quite varied and definitely cannot be explained by BV/yeast. I've had atypical genital symptoms (small scratches/knicks/"abrasions"/anal fissures) but never any ulcers or remarkable sores, low back pain, pain in the nerves in the legs (primarily the left), tingling in the genitals, buttocks and thighs. I have been around the block with regard to herpes symptoms and testing, so I'm aware there is a broad consensus that these things do not typically present without sores, but I've read enough in forums like this one to know that that is not always the case.

At any rate, I'd like to find out what the best places are to obtain PCR swabs so that when I do get these skin symptoms, I can have them tested in a more productive manner. Perhaps if I'm able to do that a few times, I'd be more able to let go of HSV as a potential cause.

RHP10003

Have you tried CityMD walk in? They do it from my experience.  

Have you tried CityMD? They should do it. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• ExhaustedGirl1
      By ExhaustedGirl1
      Hi all,
      I've been swabbed a couple times at an STD clinic (thankfully came back negative both times) but I noticed they refer to their test as a "Real-time PCR". Is this the same as the PCR swab test that we all refer to on here? The doctor who swabbed me the second time seemed to think she needed fluid or an open lesion to be able to swab me but did it anyway... she seemed a bit confused about what the actual swab test was. But the lady who read me the results said it was a real-time PCR and I was previously told (after my first swab) that this clinic's swab test is highly sensitive and can pick up shedding, so that sounds like a typical PCR to me. Any thoughts?
      Thanks!
    • Chris Taylor
      By Chris Taylor
      Month 1 negative hsv2 igg
      Month 2 and 3 negative hsv 1 and 2 igg
      Month 4 negative hsv 1 and 2 igg 
      Month 5 negative hsv off
      Month 5 negative pcr cell swab inside and outside urethra. Most painful experience ever. 
      How accurate are these pcr cell swab tests? Since I have no so sores or blisters that they could swab I went when I thought I would have an outbreak, which was when I was having urethral pain and inflammation and nerve pain all around , I went to get it swabbed. Kinda took some skin off, still painful. Asking since my symptoms don't go away. Could it all be in my head. I had protected sex and oral,  probably lasted 5 minutes. But these symptoms came after 3 days of possible exposure. 
    • Chris Taylor
      By Chris Taylor
      I'm negative after 4 months for both hsv 1 and 2 but still have herpes type symptoms , I'm about to go take a PCR test , I want to know if this is going to be accurate. I've read that some say yes and others say no. I have no active lesion or blister , so I don't know if it's recommended,  I'm so lost. Would appreciate an input before I follow through with it. 
    • Dying2Live
      By Dying2Live
      First off, I have atypical symptoms that are difficult to swab because there's no convenient blister to pop. I've had more than a dozen swab tests done, all negative. I've read numerous reports of swab tests being incredibly inaccurate, and I'd have to say that they appear to be nearly worthless at least for my situation. I'd like to know whether I'm dealing with HSV1 or 2.
      That being said, I have had a really hard time finding a clinic or lab that offers PCR testing. I have even been told that the FDA, in keeping with their typical commitment to being worse than useless, hasn't approved a PCR test for men. In fact I was told that only vaginal PCR tests are available from one lab. Is that true? If not, how can I find a PCR test? Naturally, most doctors and nurses seem to consider a request for a test that might actually have some accuracy to be outrageous and exotic.
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Blanca2018
      Has anyone tried Longdanxiegan (LDXGFG) as a treatment? There seems to be scientific evidence of great results in animal trials. This is the link to the study https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1028455916000322. It is a Traditional Chinese Medicine formula that now has won some scientific attention. I have previous experience using Traditional Chinese Medicine for improving symptoms of another rare diseases I suffer and, seeing this has been backed by some research, I am considering giving it a try. Thanks to all contributors to this forum for all the valuable information shared.
    • tayelle
      Wow this is very sad that this man committed suicide from hsv. We've all been there with depressive states. I think the numbers are accurate...no more than 15% have hsv2. Every forum I join, its low numbers compared to other diseases. 
    • theuniversesucks
      yep going into my sixth year , constant constant scrotum tingling , when i say constant i mean 365 for the last 5 years , been living on autopilot , dead inside .
    • theuniversesucks
      thats amazing , sign me up for a shipment , can you use your transporter to ship the goods ?
    • KG303
      Me either. I got it from someone I truly cared about and in my experience it’s been hell because I was so hurt over the fact that he put my health at risk without even caring of the consequences because I was so good to him. He was in college starving so I would offer to buy him groceries, I would always be there when he was having a tough time and give him encouragement, and in the end he ignores me but still can go out and party. So maybe I was better off catching it from someone I didn’t care about. Maybe then i wouldn’t be as emotional over it. I feel like if I would’ve just got it from a one night stand I could be like oh yeah well shit happens, but getting it from someone I would’ve done anything for just ain’t fair because I was good to him and I know some people may not know they have it but he was sleeping with multiple women but acting like he wasn’t. If we’re having sex you should care about me enough to let me know what’s going on so I won’t sleep with you anymore if you’re wilding out that crazy but whatever. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.