World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Flyno

Suppressive therapy

Flyno

I know That I asked this question before but no answer :(

I wanna know about suppressive therapy do anyone take it everyday longer than 10 days like forever

or you take it only when feel something and for how long

I don’t wanna go to my doctor without any knowledge I wanna learn before  about it so I know what he is talking about 

Scooby2112

Suppressive therapy means taking every day.  This is what you would do if you have more than 4 outbreaks a year or are in a discordant relationship to help prevent transmission.   There are people that have taken it for thirty plus years (acyclovir).  20 years (valcyclovir).  

Otherwise episodic therapy is the route that the Dr would likely recommend.  

Me.

I’m on suppression therapy (acyclovir 2xs a day) I have recurrent OBs right after my period. I’ve been on therapy for about three or four months

Michgirl73

I was on suppressive therapy, and was going to remain on it for a year. I have Ghsv1, was gifted it 4 months ago. I took myself off suppressive therapy only because I was dealing side effects.. my hair was falling out and I felt fatigued, also was dealing with stuffy nose and sore throat. Once I took myself off suppressive therapy I had a one blister very small outbreak lasted 2 days then I did go out with friends and had drink some beer 2 days later I had another small outbreak.. it healed again in 2 days. When I was on suppressive therapy I could drink and eat no outbreaks. I just didn’t like the feeling, I’m depressed enough with dealing with this I couldn’t cope with the side effects on top of that too. I’m just hoping these outbreaks stop. 

Edited by Michgirl73

Lulupazoola

There r more natural things u can do for yourself to try to stop the outbreaks.  I cant take antivirals either.

Dee22

I spoke to my dr about it because i have a really demanding job and dont sleep alot. I also have been sick all year so she said it might be an option. And have lots of risk factors that were freaking me out that couod trigger it. I havent ended up needing it. But she had suggested a lower than normal dose so not two tablets of valtrex but one faily ongoing.