World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Joelle_Th

new diagnosis

Joelle_Th

Hi.. 

first i‘m sorry for my english, i‘m german. 

I got my diagnosis a few weeks ago, when I had my first outbreak. 

My doctor only told me it was herpes genutalis and I got medicine. The medicine helped me and I got rid of it in one week. I have to say the first days were the worst. I was so in pain and I felt so bad. 

I think I got it from a boy I had oral sex with, because he noticed a vesicle on his lip the day after and told me that he was having those often. 

I didn‘t know about Herpes Genitalis before so my diagnosis was a shock. 

I don‘t know how to live with it. I can‘t stop thinking about it. 

How often will I have outbreaks in a year? I know you probably are not able to answer this question because it‘s always different. 

I don‘t know how to have a normal sex life from now on... 

I‘d be happy about some encouraging words. 

:( 

WilsoInAus

It would be best if your doctor took a swab to confirm. If you still have a weeping sore, it would be best to go back and get this.

Genital HSV-1 from oral sex is as common as HSV-2 infections from vaginal sex.

However, outlook is quite different for genital HSV-1. Not being as well suited to genital nerves, HSV-1 causes few outbreaks and up to 50% of people never experience another outbreak. Those that do have outbreaks report a frequency of one every few years.

As for sex, things need not be any different. Males already with HSV-1, and that is most of them (and definitely all the cute ones!) are at no pragmatic risk of further infection.

It may not seem it right now, but in the near future, you will go years perhaps without even thinking about having HSV-1 and live your life exactly as you imagine it to be.

Joelle_Th

Thanks for your quick reply. 

Everything healed already. Is there still an option to take a test? I‘m pretty sure it’s HSV1 but I‘d really want to get a sure diagnosis. 

You gave me a litte hope, thank you. I‘m really down since I was at the doctor.

WilsoInAus

It can be confronting. Try to draw resilience from what is around you. That is 4 billion people or more with HSV-1 living in the world right now. To not have HSV-1 is to be in the minority.

If the sores have healed then no real benefit in a swab. One thing you could do is get a blood test straight away IgG for HSV-1 and HSV-2 and again 12 weeks later. What you should see is either a negative or lowish value for HSV-1 that grows to healthy levels. You can ask for a Euroimmun test, a wonderful test from a german lab. You could also just have the 12 week test and take that as the answer.

Joelle_Th

Thank you so much for your help! 

There‘s one last question I have. I’ve read that solarium or sunbathing could cause another outbreak. What do I do now in summer? Is there an option where I can still lay in the sun without getting an outbreak? 

Scooby2112

Sun does not really impact hsv1 in the genitals (maybe if you nude sunbathe?) That is more an issue affecting oral HSV1.  

Keep your medicine handy and if you feel a similar feeling you can take a dose for a couple days to stop or minimize it.   It can be that you would experience more outbreaks in the first year (if you get any at all since as Wilson said many never have a recurrence).