World's Largest Herpes Support Group
JustCruisin

Did I Receive the Gift?

JustCruisin
Posted (edited)

Hi there. I’d appreciate any guidance you can give me regarding my test results. 

I had unprotected sex sometime July 2017 and the last time December 29, 2017. I have had no typical symptoms, but did have skin sensitive that was sporadic and would occur in different places on my thighs, waist and hips. This only happened for few weeks between July and December 2017 and has not happened again. 

Below are my test results. 

2015 - <0.90 negative for both HSV1 and HSV2

2/22/18 - HSV1 - 0.94 positive. HSV2 - 1.96 positive. Quest Diagnostics. Test performed HSV 1/2 IGG. type specific AB

3/14/18 - HSV1 - <0.90 negative. HSV2 - 1.95 positive. Quest Diagnostics. Test performed HSV 1/2 IGG. type specific AB

As you can see I tested nearly the same even though the test was done about 3 weeks apart. Would one expect to see an increase in the index values?

Could the skin sensitivity be considered an outbreak?

Would a Western Blot be needed for a definite diagnosis? Has enough time passed to test? 

What feedback can you offer and/or recommend?

Thanks for your help. :)

Edited by JustCruisin

WilsoInAus

This is certainly in the false positive range and all the hallmarks (symptoms, numbers etc.) that lean in that direction.

Exactly as you suggest, the more likely observation if you had been infected in December would an increasing number. Your lack of an outbreak suggestive of herpes is also an important factor to consider.

The Westernblot is designed for circumstances such as these. I would wait until 16 weeks after the last exposure of concern before the blood draw for the WB.

Equally another IgG test in a month or two may also return to negative, but then again it may not. The WB is the most certain and timely way to sort this out, if the most expensive.

JustCruisin
Posted (edited)

Thank you @WilsonAus for your reply. 

I will most definitely retest or do the Western blot at the 16+ week mark and double definitely abstain until I have final confirmation. 

I am curious though. What causes a false positive result? Something has to trigger the IgG test for a positive result. 

Edited by JustCruisin

WilsoInAus

No one really knows. Antibodies are forms of proteins. The test consists of wells coated with an antigen amino acid known as gG-2 (for HSV-2 detection). This is one of the envelopes (of about ten known) that the virus creates. It is special as it appears to attract only type specific IgG antibodies.

It does appear at times though that other proteins are attracted to gG-2. These may be related to proteins that are present owing to a HSV-1 infection, but it appears other unknown proteins stick. There is a coloured enzyme linked to these proteins thus creating a colour density that is measured to get a result that is expressed as a ratio to a control well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• Alwayssmile_
      By Alwayssmile_
      Hi 
      I'm losing more hair than usual and not on any suppressive meds. 
      Was wondering if anyone else experienced this hsv2 diagnosis or even hsv1 diagnoses 
      If so how did you solve the problem? 
      Thank you. 
    • Leemell48
      By Leemell48
      It's been three months since possible exposure. Last night a shooting pain inside my vagina woke me up. I feel the constant urge to urinate and have thigh and butt pain on and off. Today I kept having pain in one spot inside my labia and now it's all red and I see a tiny red spot. It doesnt hurt to touch but there is red and pain along the inside of my vagina. I go to the doctors tomorrow to get retested. I feel like no doctor wants to help me and don't really listen. It's so scary and frustrating. 
    • Lucy29
      By Lucy29
      Hi guys 
      I’m really confused about what is going on at the moment. I contracted HSV2 11 years ago was outbreak free for 7 years then started getting OBS but very mild around my period I was in a relationship so I went on suppression it will be two years on suppression in May 2019. 
      For I wound say the last year I have had near  constant shooting pains down my legs/ feet  sometimes in other areas of my body like hands Arms  spine soemtimes and around my buttocks I soemtimes even feel it in random places like my head etc. I also get a very itchy and swollen labia minoria soemtimes and just a burning feeling down below. It feels like something is there but when I look and with a light I can see notning. This is usually  worse at night I’ll wake up in the morning and it will be gone but through the day it will start again especially from friction of walking etc. 
      I was on acyclovir but I changed to vacyclovir to see if it made a difference the first week I thought it did but this sensations are now back again. I’ve upped my dose and still the symptoms remain I also take olive leaf and lysine. I have no visible  sores at all and I’ve not had a single sore since starting suppression apart from a very mild one  when I was very stressed and pregnant  and ran out of tablets. 
      My doctor at the GUM clinic ( sexual health clinic in UK)  thinks this is not herpes related she said if the sores have stopped then the meds  are  working and this could be another skin condition down below.  But I have leg pains itching and burning which to me is all symptoms of HSV. 
      I have thought to myself herpes doesn’t behave like that and doesn’t come at night then go away in the morning then back at night but I don’t see what else this could be.  
      When I had blisters I never got nerve pain I had the usual tingling in vagina when you just know one is coming I don’t have this anymore since being on suppression. 
      I honestly would rather have mild OBS every few weeks that last a few days  than these constant symptoms. I feel contagious 24 7 and I wound even risk having  sex. 

Does anyone know  what this can be ? Is it  Hsv ? If it’s stopped   my blisters wouldn’t it stop symptoms all together ? 

Thanks 

• Gems
      By Gems
      I haven't check out all of this site; however I cannot see how reducing stigma over herpes infection should involve denial. It states on their website people shouldn't be scared for rare circumstances but fails to admit that this virus can be transmitted via objects in some circumstances.

https://herpes.org.uk/towels-not-problem/

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE A LESS THAN USUAL EXPERIENCE LET THESE PEOPLE KNOW THEY DO NOT REPRESENT YOU. 

MOST PROFESSIONALS DOESN'T MEAN ALL.
    • Thordust
      By Thordust
      I had some recent burning down on my outer labia, wasn’t sure if it was a vaginal infection or irritation from a new soap I was using. Then I used Monistat since I wasn’t sure and the whole lady area swelled as an allergic reaction from it. I went to visit the OB to verify and we tested for STIs anyways and no visible sores anywhere. All results came back negative. However HSV2 igg test came back at 1.07 equivocal. My doctor told me I was positive. I have no clue what to believe? The CDC says low values should be retested with the WB. I’ve also had no lesions, blisters or nothing. Anyone experience this? Any advice on what I should do? Thank you!
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • joescrilla
      More confusion! So the results have come back for both of the partners that I've been with over the last 3-4 years and they are both negative for type 1 and type 2. Where do I go next? Any advice?
    • Gems
      please look through the forum in exact and careful detail and inform yourself of less than usual circumstances to cover yourself.

auto inoculation is rare and it can happen. off objects is debated but some people claim it happens. some people have experienced it happens easily.

so you know practice good hygiene. i personal think use a heated towel rail and make sure your towels are fully hot and dry. there were studies in the 80's showing it can live on towels for 75 hours. The herpes association say most experts agree it cannot be caught off a towel. That is most experts not all. Some people end up with it on their body and one has to wonder how? Towels I would guess.

Things that tend to stay kinda wet or so on. cups are another one that fit that i think.

I remember being at university once and being in the bathroom while a girl was on the phone to her friend.She thought she had a bite on her face but clear to me someone with herpes had kissed her on the cheek recently, it didnt look typical just her skin peeling. 

I am not an expert though or a doctor so do your own research.  

• Phoenixx
      Update: The creme that contains the tetrapodal zinc oxide still isn't available at Gorch Fock Apotheke Kiel. I called them today: same status as last year and they have no further information on when and if it will be available again.
    • Phoenixx
      Lilian, the zinc acetate we are talking about here is different from the tetrapodal zinc oxide that you are mentioning. But thanks for the reminder. The ointment that contains the tetrapodal zinc oxide still isn't available at Gorch Fock Apotheke Kiel. I called them today: same status as last year and they have no further information on when and if it will be available again.
    • Gems
      I've had neg swabs but I am sure you'll get it. Follow the process. I haven't read the thread in exact detail, but if you have documentation of doctors mishandling your case when you get/ if you get a poss inform them in writing as well as the medical board I think.  Under diagnosis is as problematic as false pos and reducing transmission is good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.