World's Largest Herpes Support Group
JustCruisin

Did I Receive the Gift?

JustCruisin

Hi there. I’d appreciate any guidance you can give me regarding my test results. 

I had unprotected sex sometime July 2017 and the last time December 29, 2017. I have had no typical symptoms, but did have skin sensitive that was sporadic and would occur in different places on my thighs, waist and hips. This only happened for few weeks between July and December 2017 and has not happened again. 

Below are my test results. 

2015 - <0.90 negative for both HSV1 and HSV2

2/22/18 - HSV1 - 0.94 positive. HSV2 - 1.96 positive. Quest Diagnostics. Test performed HSV 1/2 IGG. type specific AB

3/14/18 - HSV1 - <0.90 negative. HSV2 - 1.95 positive. Quest Diagnostics. Test performed HSV 1/2 IGG. type specific AB

As you can see I tested nearly the same even though the test was done about 3 weeks apart. Would one expect to see an increase in the index values?

Could the skin sensitivity be considered an outbreak?

Would a Western Blot be needed for a definite diagnosis? Has enough time passed to test? 

What feedback can you offer and/or recommend?

Thanks for your help. :)

Edited by JustCruisin

WilsoInAus

This is certainly in the false positive range and all the hallmarks (symptoms, numbers etc.) that lean in that direction.

Exactly as you suggest, the more likely observation if you had been infected in December would an increasing number. Your lack of an outbreak suggestive of herpes is also an important factor to consider.

The Westernblot is designed for circumstances such as these. I would wait until 16 weeks after the last exposure of concern before the blood draw for the WB.

Equally another IgG test in a month or two may also return to negative, but then again it may not. The WB is the most certain and timely way to sort this out, if the most expensive.

JustCruisin

Thank you @WilsonAus for your reply. 

I will most definitely retest or do the Western blot at the 16+ week mark and double definitely abstain until I have final confirmation. 

I am curious though. What causes a false positive result? Something has to trigger the IgG test for a positive result. 

Edited by JustCruisin

WilsoInAus

No one really knows. Antibodies are forms of proteins. The test consists of wells coated with an antigen amino acid known as gG-2 (for HSV-2 detection). This is one of the envelopes (of about ten known) that the virus creates. It is special as it appears to attract only type specific IgG antibodies.

It does appear at times though that other proteins are attracted to gG-2. These may be related to proteins that are present owing to a HSV-1 infection, but it appears other unknown proteins stick. There is a coloured enzyme linked to these proteins thus creating a colour density that is measured to get a result that is expressed as a ratio to a control well.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• hangirl
      By hangirl
      Ive have GHSV1 for two years and have not experienced an OB since my first initial one.. except for now i think. I was very stressed and worrisome, which caused me to get itchy down there, and now everytime i wipe i feel like there are blisters, but when i look there are none! im so confused and not sure if its just my mind trying to trick me, but i can sometimes feel them when i am sitting down, it feels like pins and needles.. has anyone else experienced this?? i dont know what to do! im trying to not think about it and 'think' my way out of this outbreak
    • MiLoBeng
      By MiLoBeng
      Would like to know someone who's HSV-2 positive 🕵️‍♂️ 
    • abdull81
      By abdull81
      alsalam aliykom sisters and brothers
      im looking for 7alal inshaAllah .. i have been diagnosed hsv2 since 5 years ago .. my ex wife passed it to me .. i was 32 years old virgin man .. she was my first but ..alhamdulillah i
      believe that every thing happens for reason .. anyway
      im here seeking 7alal so we can complete and love each other .. may Allah make it easy for us to find our ways 

E mail:   mohammed_tempe@hotmail.com
    • KatJ
      By KatJ
      I was diagnosed almost a year ago and have always struggled to find an outlet or any support. I stumbled upon this site when researching a new rash. I’ve constantly struggled with dealing with my herpes, especially since I got it due to being raped.
      I hope to be able to talk to some people with similar experiences and problems. I have HSV1 in the genital region. Does anybody else deal with that as well? 
    • Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      So I am new to the herpes world. I was diagnosed with ghsv-1 on May 17th. I was dating two guys at once (one I was sexually active with and someone else). The last person I had sex with, I am pretty sure he’s the one that gave it to me. I did disclose to all of my sex partners using text free because I was too embarrassed to reveal myself. But anyway, today I disclosed to the other guy I was seeing when I found out that I was gHSV-1 positive. We have been seeing one another one to two time a week and have planned basically our whole summer out. Even though he wanted to take it slow we are most definitely sexually attracted to one another and planned on having sex somewhere along the lines. This morning I decided to disclose via text that I have ghsv-1. I gave him some fact/transmission rates and have left everything in his hands. He’s currently at work and asked if it’ll be okay for him to call me when he gets off. Let’s see how this turns out. I am prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best. I will keep you guys posted.
  • Trending Now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.