World's Largest Herpes Support Group
learning2liveohio

How to combat constant burning

learning2liveohio

I was diagnosed about 6 months ago, after having constant vaginal burning. I did not have any textbook symptoms like oozing sores. It took awhile but the Valtrex helped. Now it is back again. It feels better when I am taking it but then as soon as I stop, it comes back. I thought maybe it was even a yeast infection but that treatment doesn’t seem to be working either. I am so confused! Has anyone else experienced this? Will I just need to ask my dr to take valtrex every day?!?

WilsoInAus

This does sound more like pH or pelvic floor issues going on here. I’ve seen a few ladies on here lately sharing these stories.

Did you find outor get confirmation as to whether you have genital HSV-2?

learning2liveohio

Yes, I was diagnosed via blood test. I have both type 1 and type 2. Maybe I will give the yeast medication more time to work.

WilsoInAus

Yes but did you get the results, you don’t kniw if it was IgM or IgG for example?

learning2liveohio

Yes, I had both types of tests performed. As many as 20% of herpes cases are identified as asymptomatic according to the literature. It could be my herpes flaring, it could be a yeast infection, it could BV, etc. I was only inquiring to if anyone had vaginal burning that was helped by Valtrex but as soon as it was stopped, it came back. I am not asking for clarification as to whether or not I have herpes. That has already been confirmed by a medical professional.

WilsoInAus

Yes you should asking for clarification as it does not seem exist. This is serious, think about the implications of the wrong interpretation and conclusions here. Please do not assume that this vaginal burning when it may be something more serious or some treatable separately. 

learning2liveohio

Whatever! Let me know when you get a medical license to practice gynecology. So sad. I come here looking for answers from others who have experienced this and instead get some guy questioning my doctor and my blood work. I guess I won’t be checking in on here anymore, which is a damn shame considering I feel like I can’t talk about it with anyone.

WilsoInAus

Please look through to the intention. Only you can take charge of your own health. What is there possibly to lose with asking for the test results to examine them? You've seen the hundreds of stories here of people being given the wrong advice from doctors.

I invite you to be curious, I think you'll get more response from others when it is clearer what might be going on for you.

Quest

Wilso IN Aus is an awesome detective.  He gets down to the bottom of cases when the doctors didn't correct testing. He has seen it all. I will come back later and help. 

Soscared94

I didn't have yeast or bv but my vaginal pH was elevated, I've have burning for 4 months. I stopped wearing underwear, drank more water , reduced stress and avoid heated seats in the car. Also, if you've taken a lot of yeast meds (diflucan) and antibiotics such as metronidazole, you are likely to have hyper active nerves in the vaginal region which may lead to the burning. Also, if you are on low dose birth control, that also leads to vaginal burning as it leads to menopausal effects

learning2liveohio

@WilsoInAus and @QuestMy frustration is that I don’t need someone questioning my results. I received both tests and they came back positive. I previously had some relief with Valtrex, which is why I wondered if anyone on here struggles with the same thing after stopping a round of it. I think it is a very dangerous thing to give medical advice on the internet, unless YOU are a dr or YOU have personally seen my blood work. It is bad enough to feel judged for having herpes, only to come to a place for comfort, and then feel like just because your experience is different, it isn’t valid. So thanks but no thanks for your input.

Thank you @Soscared94 for responding. I will look into the elevated Ph as well. How do you go about finding that out? The nerves also make sense bc this disease can affect that as well.

Quest

Ok, we understand and instead of giving you our remedy since we are not docs, I think you should see one and narrow it down. Get a swab and find out if it is indeed BV, yeast, or internal shedding. 

Monostat made me have a constant yeast infection, but it did bring relief very short term. I was told I did not make enough fluids to flush myself out. I also think it is very common to think one may have yeast when they don't. Yes, I did have breakouts each time I stopped Acyclovir. The worst part was my hair fell out evenly, but that is a side effect all people don't get. 

Soscared94
Posted (edited)

You can purchase pH test strips from amazon. You can either insert cotton swab in your vagina and whipe it against the paper or stick the paper directly in your vagina which is what I like to do best. The color that it turns to will correlate with the ph.  I noticed got my vagina burns more when the color is darker

I

Edited by Soscared94

WilsoInAus
42 minutes ago, learning2liveohio said:

@WilsoInAus and @QuestMy frustration is that I don’t need someone questioning my results. I received both tests and they came back positive. I previously had some relief with Valtrex, which is why I wondered if anyone on here struggles with the same thing after stopping a round of it. I think it is a very dangerous thing to give medical advice on the internet, unless YOU are a dr or YOU have personally seen my blood work. It is bad enough to feel judged for having herpes, only to come to a place for comfort, and then feel like just because your experience is different, it isn’t valid. So thanks but no thanks for your input.

Thank you @Soscared94 for responding. I will look into the elevated Ph as well. How do you go about finding that out? The nerves also make sense bc this disease can affect that as well.

It is not really acceptable for you to infer that medical advice is being given. What medical advice?

We are not questioning your results. We are inviting you to check your medical advice such that YOU have personally seen your blood work results. That's your right. It is perfectly acceptable for you to ask for the justification from your doctor. It is what people ought to do to take control of their own health.

Also note that the responses are not just for your benefit, but for those that read and the role modelling that we establish for people such that they can think about their own approach.