World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
aprilmay

Hsv2 oral article

WilsoInAus

Yes for sure over played. It is just a way for retired professors to keep their hand in. Helps justify ongoing funding and interest. Doctorate students are even worse, the more gravitas in the thesis the more likely they are conferred (well so they feel)!

Quest

Oh, my! We are all doomed!!! haha. I hope none of that is true. Is there any truth to the article, @WilsoInAus ??

WilsoInAus

Total sensationalism. In fact you are actually far better off having oral HSV-2 than HSV-1. It may not even be able to cause serious issues such as encephalitis from that location!

Divon

Didn´t feel like reading this bs. HSV1 has been known as the main cause for meningitis or however its spelled for a long time aswell as ocular herpes and HSV2 unlikely to cause those. Furthermore HSV2 hates the mouth and only sheds 1% orally. So... pay no attention to this I guess?

Divon
On 2018-03-23 at 5:45 PM, Divon said:

Didn´t feel like reading this bs. HSV1 has been known as the main cause for meningitis or however its spelled for a long time aswell as ocular herpes and HSV2 unlikely to cause those. Furthermore HSV2 hates the mouth and only sheds 1% orally. So... pay no attention to this I guess?

Ops my bad. Apparently HSV2 is more common for meningitis than HSV1 but the more serious type that directly affects the brain is usually HSV1 as I´ve understood it. From what I can read, Viral meningitis can often be very unserious and not need any hospital treatment at all while the bacterial caused one almost always leads to death when untreated. This is interesting topic since I´ve had a non HSV related some kind of meningitis experience myself growing up. I was hospitalized but it was far from a traumatic experience, in fact I have only good memories of it, quite minimal suffering. Had I died from it probably would have been one of the most peaceful ways possible to die, entirely unconscious.

Correct me if I´m wrong but the HSV2 viral meningitis in non immunocompromised patients seem to be similar to a flue experience and not so much more nor less than that. Perhaps it is more dangerous when its HSV2 oral than genital however?

WilsoInAus

My understanding of the research is that 90% of encephalitis caused by HSV-1 or HSV-2 is caused by HSV-1. It happens about 1 in 500,000 years to people with the virus.

Treatment is good these days, although that's for those fortunate to be able to receive it, which is luckily a growing proportion of the world's population.

Divon

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/37/11/1527/373037 yupp, says here also that severe CNS is rare with hsv2. If your 1 in 500000 number is true then I guess we can happily drop this topic. Glad we cleared this out. Anyway, I guess this still means that hsv2 oral might be worse than I thought. Then again I thought it wasnt worth worrying about at all and it probably isnt either.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• desertdweller
      By desertdweller
      OK, I've posted before about this...I have GHSV2...had oral sex with an ex-girlfriend with GHSV2 on 10/1/17.  Several days later, I didn't feel well, then had what looked like a razor nick in the right corner of my mouth.   That went away after a few days.  Since then, have had the following sensations every day:
      Occasional tingling in upper lip like a twitching feeling Some small white spots on upper lip near right corner of mouth (not really noticeable unless I stretch my lip though) Cool tingling sensation in various areas...right corner of mouth, right cheek, and right side of chin Tickling sensation in right cheek/chin/mustache...find myself rubbing/scratching my cheek/chin/mustache often Sometimes tingling/tickling sensation on right side of head and neck Wet feeling in right corner of mouth...sometimes feels like I'm drooling when I talk Every now and then a very faint stinging sensation in right upper lip All of these sensations go away if I slightly rub my lip or jaw, but they always come back.  Pretty constant since 10/1.
      So today I "tasted" something on my lip (right side) and noticed this (see attached pics).  I squeezed it fairly hard to see if it was a blister but no fluid came out.  It didn't hurt at all either.
      This is so horribly frustrating.  Some things point to me having OHSV2, but some don't.  The sensation in the corner of my mouth is CONSTANT, although it seems to be fading over the last 5 months (knock on wood).  But everything I read says the first OHSV2 outbreak is a bitch.  I haven't had anything painful blisters or even any redness.  But I've felt these sensations every day for the last five months.  Experts have told me it can't be OHSV2 because I wouldn't have symptoms for so long and not constantly.  But when describing how my mouth/cheek/jaw feels to my doctor, he thinks it is nerve damage, which I know can be caused by OHSV2.  But I haven't read about anyone with OHSV2 suffering from constant sensations for months.  Then again, all these issues have occurred on the right side of my face.  The left side has been absolutely fine.  Somebody told me online that since I already had GHSV2 that it may have lessened the severity of the OHSV2 infection.  But why would I have the constant tingling then?  Or does everyone with OHSV have constant tingling in their face?
      I can't find anyone on the internet with symptoms like mine...just my luck to have the most unique case of OHSV2 on the internet (if that's what this is).
      Has anyone had anything like this on their lip that goes away in a day or two?  Or had to keep rubbing/scratching their cheek/jaw to relive the tingling?  Or had the wet corner of the mouth feeling?
      What makes this even worse is I already suffer from anxiety and this is making it much worse.  But it's hard not to think about this when you're reminded every day...before this happened I could go months feeling completely normal between GHSV2 outbreaks.  Now I have to keep wondering if I have it and if I can give it to someone else.
      This is so frustrating.

• Deweese
      By Deweese
      I went to the doctor 6 months ago and had a blood test for herpes. I went because my boyfriend had his first breakout. We've been together 3 years. During his breakout I gave him oral sex (we thought it was just an ingrown hair, since there was no history of stds). But it got worse and he went to the Dr and confirmed herpes. I've never had sores, only small canker sores inside my mouth. but my bloodwork was positive for both types.  My only issue with this is my child since then has had similar small circles in his mouth, and a few months ago had burning redness around the underneath of his penis head. There weren't any sores but of course I've only been able to think the worse. Could this of been herpes related? If I have oral hsv2 could I give genital hsv2 to my child? Please help. 
    • LostinTranslation123
      By LostinTranslation123
      Hello everyone! Im kinda flipping out because I got my second Oral HSV2 outbreak in a little more than a month from being exposed after the doctor said that I would not see another Oral HSV2 outbreak since they are rare. How many recurrences do such Oral HSV2 outbreaks have?
      The doctor told me that since I have had two Oral HSV2 outbreaks in a month (the last one following a major cold that he had along with major stress about this whole ordeal), that he is fairly certain that I did not contract anything down there since the HSV2 virus is forcefully coming out of an "unpreferred" location already twice (on the lips) rather than its preferred location down the waist when it should have already come out in both places. Is this true? Thank you in advance! 
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • joescrilla
      More confusion! So the results have come back for both of the partners that I've been with over the last 3-4 years and they are both negative for type 1 and type 2. Where do I go next? Any advice?
    • Gems
      please look through the forum in exact and careful detail and inform yourself of less than usual circumstances to cover yourself.

auto inoculation is rare and it can happen. off objects is debated but some people claim it happens. some people have experienced it happens easily.

so you know practice good hygiene. i personal think use a heated towel rail and make sure your towels are fully hot and dry. there were studies in the 80's showing it can live on towels for 75 hours. The herpes association say most experts agree it cannot be caught off a towel. That is most experts not all. Some people end up with it on their body and one has to wonder how? Towels I would guess.

Things that tend to stay kinda wet or so on. cups are another one that fit that i think.

I remember being at university once and being in the bathroom while a girl was on the phone to her friend.She thought she had a bite on her face but clear to me someone with herpes had kissed her on the cheek recently, it didnt look typical just her skin peeling. 

I am not an expert though or a doctor so do your own research.  

• Phoenixx
      Update: The creme that contains the tetrapodal zinc oxide still isn't available at Gorch Fock Apotheke Kiel. I called them today: same status as last year and they have no further information on when and if it will be available again.
    • Phoenixx
      Lilian, the zinc acetate we are talking about here is different from the tetrapodal zinc oxide that you are mentioning. But thanks for the reminder. The ointment that contains the tetrapodal zinc oxide still isn't available at Gorch Fock Apotheke Kiel. I called them today: same status as last year and they have no further information on when and if it will be available again.
    • Gems
      I've had neg swabs but I am sure you'll get it. Follow the process. I haven't read the thread in exact detail, but if you have documentation of doctors mishandling your case when you get/ if you get a poss inform them in writing as well as the medical board I think.  Under diagnosis is as problematic as false pos and reducing transmission is good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.