World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Pugslove

Constant Nerve Pain from Gential HSV 1

Pugslove

Hi everyone! I’m a 24 year old female. I was newly diagnosed with hsv 1 gentially. I have been married for 6 months and my husband has been my only sexual partner (and I am his only as well).  I contracted it after he gave me oral sex at Christmas. Neither of us had any idea he had it and he showed no symptoms.

Around New Years I started to experience flu like symptoms and dull pain on the right side of my vagina only after sex. It would also swell and feel sore afterwards. There was a tiny red dot on the outside. The flu like symptoms and pain lasted a full month. 

I finally went to the doctor after a few weeks. I was diagnosed with hsv 1 which was a huge shock. The doctor told me it would heal and that I should just rest.

A week later I had my period and right after experienced horrible pain on the right, external side of the vagina and one lesion. I could barely walk I was in so much pain. I was put on antivirals. The lesion healed within days. The pain lasted almost the whole month. I had my period again and right after I had the same horrible pain, but no lesion. I’ve been to the doctor about 6-7 times and haven’t had any luck. I’ve done several rounds of antivirals. My pain is beginning to lessen but my period is this week again. I’m starting to worry the pain will come back again. I can handled an out break and the lesion but this pain lasting for weeks month after month is becoming difficult to cope with. Our sex life is nonexistent and it’s severely affecting my daily life. 

Does anyone with hsv 1 have such horrible nerve pain? How long did it last? What can I do for it? My doctors seem dumbfounded, any advice is much appreciated. I am on birth control pills. I’m wondering if hormones are affecting the pain as it’s been getting worse after my period. I’m also unsure if I should still consider this to be my first outbreak since I’ve only had one lesion. I’ve been feeling down and loosing hope. I’m wondering if this will go away....

Edited by Pugslove
Misspellings and left out details

Chris Taylor

Do you get sunburned feeling behind your upper legs, and or hip or side leg pain , bruise or heat kind of pain?

WilsoInAus

Was this a swab test or a blood test that showed positive for HSV-1? Has your husband had a test subsequently?

WannaCry

You may want to talk to your Dr about Gabapentin/neuropathy medication. It is given for neuropathy pain. It has helped many members here. Another option is to go onto a birth control that lets you have fewer periods in the year and see if there is a direct correlation to the pain with having a period. Are you on suppressive therapy at all/have OBs regularly?

If none of these options work you may want to contact a female pelvic floor therapist. Pelvic floor dysfunction can be caused by infections (of all kinds) and can cause cyclic pain in some women. 

Puni

yes i had similar genital nerve pains for 6 months constantly, but now it comes and goes, recently i have started noticing my legs have gone weak, also i'm experiencing knee pain :( HSV1 genital sucks 
it's better to have it in mouth.

Westendgal
14 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

Do you get sunburned feeling behind your upper legs, and or hip or side leg pain , bruise or heat kind of pain?

I actually experience all of those symptoms with ghsv1!

Pugslove

Thanks for the input! It does sort of feel like a sunburn and it’s really bad when I walk and my clothes touch it. I was only able to do a blood test because I didn’t have a sore at the time and the blood test came back positive. I’ve only ever actually had one sore. The pain is really bad for half the month and then it seems to go away mostly but never completely. Then it stirs up again. These are some tips I will definitely be looking into. Right now I’m trying suppressive therapy only when I have my periods. We’ll see if it helps any. That may have to be adjusted. Thanks for the ideas.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• TerribleAtUserNames
      By TerribleAtUserNames
      Hi there, 
      Long time lurker, first time poster, and I'll keep it simple and condensed. 
      I've only signed up because I realize the depths of suffering some people are in, trying all sorts of desperate treatments, and I've basically been sitting on something that has taken me to near 0 outbreaks (hsv1 genital).
      When I first got infected some years back, I had an atypical presentation--no pain or itching, but permanently there. Bumps going up and down within the same day even, but pretty much permanently covering the head of my penis. Doctor swabbed it--came back hsv 1; he said it looked like it to him too. 
      Now to the meat of it--rubbing alcohol.
      Its simple, and I'm pretty surprised that I've only seen it mentioned once here--a woman was talking about it, so I assume it works for girls too. I apply once daily, to once every 3 days, and that keeps me pretty much permanently outbreak free. 
      It quite literally went from every day broken out for me to just about nothing. Anyway, to the what and where of it all... 

I use 99% isopropyl. 70% seems good too. I now have a spray bottle, but used to just dump it on the head and roll my foreskin up over it for like 20ish seconds--whatever process is actually happening, I like to think I'm facilitating absorption into the soft tissue by doing this and wreaking havoc on the virus. Obviously, you may have to do it a bit differently, genital depending.
      I've been doing this treatment for a few years now, so it has staying power. I read once that herpes is shreded by alcohol, so if true, I guess that explains it? However, iterupting regular treatment seems to have anecdotally, but not with great surety, made the herpes a bit less suceptible to the alcohol upon resumption. 
      Yes, it burns terribly at first. Over time it gets better. Some days it still really burns, and in those cases I advise listening to your body and cutting the countdown short. Other than that, it feels really damn good to basically tell herpes to eff off. 
      I don't know what kind of health risks there are. Or whether using a high % grain (drinking) alcohol would work / be healthier. I advise asking your doctor--afterall, alchohol is implicated in throat cancer. Who knows if 20-30 seconds daily on your junk can do something too. 
      But for those who struggle constantly, I truly hope this can help someone other than just me. 

I also hope that this finds its way to the right forum. I wanted it in a place where casual, straight from Google, viewers would see it when they came here, and I'm hoping--and asking, please--that if I didn't get it in the right place, a moderator can instead. And, should it help as I suggest, perhaps even stickying it one day. 
      I'm sorry in advance, I'm not a big forum person and don't come here crazy often. It just felt like something I should do for everyone else's sake. Hopefully you can excuse me if I'm an absentee topic starter. 
      Thanks for reading,
      - Taylor

Edit:
      I forgot to add in any negative effects I've experienced. 
      Sometimes, if its burning more than usual and I leave it too long, it does make the skin pinker than it should be, and sore. 
      The big question, what about loss of sensitivity? I worried that may happen, and its possible actually that I've lost some amount. But if I have, it wasn't even enough to remember when posting this originally, hahaha.
      Still every body is different, so I can only speak for me. But yes, for me, my sensitivity down there is still in great shape. 
      Over the last few years I've on average had less stiff erections, and dysfunction, which I never had before. However, I've also been less physically healthy, I've been mentally disengaged and highly anxious around sex and sexuality (and when I'm not anxious, it often improves quite a bit), I read once that herpes itself can actually cause forms of ED, and I'm also now out of my 20's, so... 
      Possibly related? But also very possibly unrelated to the alcohol. I'm biased though, both in mentality and my words here. So, perhaps consult a doctor if you're concerned. 
      Cheers! 
    • Learningtolivewithhsv
      By Learningtolivewithhsv
      Hey guys and girls,
      Yesterday I was diagnosed with genital hsv-1. I’ve been taking medicine for this since Tuesday though. Last week Saturday I had my first outbreak, I realized it on Friday, but thought it was an ingrown hair until the guy I was dating staring moving funny on Saturday morning (I haven’t received oral or penetration from him in like two weeks though). I went to urgent care on Saturday morning. When initially went to the DR he said it just looked as if my skin was irritated and gave me some cream to put on it. I know my body though so I failed to believe it was just irritated skin. He drew blood because he felt as if I didn’t have enough for the culture (he still performed one though). Anyway, I started researching to figure out how I could soothe my pain and decided to go to the free clinic where I lived. The obgyn looked at my outbreak and told me it was herpes. She also took a culture, but put me on medicine right away. I’ve been taking the medicine twice a day, have been using Dermoplast to numb my vag so I can use the bathroom (I haven’t used it in a couple of days though because it’s easier to use it without having to deal with it burning), taking epsom salt baths multiple times a day, using tea tree oil, and placing an ice pack on it at night. When i first thought I had HSV I wanted to die...like literally wanted to end it all because 9/10 I used condoms during sex and can literally count how many times I’ve had sex. But then I decided to just educate myself. Yesterday, dr #1 called me back for my results and told me it was genital hsv1. I feel like a lot of us forgets the danger of having unprotected oral. I’ve contacted all the partners I’ve ever had and told them to get checked for hsv 1 and 2 so they won’t infect an innocent girl. How do you guys deal with gHSV1? How often do you have recurrences? Are any of you on suppressive therapy?
    • Leedschick
      By Leedschick
      Hey folks. 

I posted here last week, I didn't include a picture so here it is. Also my previous post if no one saw it. Does it look like herpes to you? 
      -----
      Hey guys and girls. Anyone any advice for me? I feel at a loss. I haven't been properly diagnosed, only a visual diagnosis. On Friday night I was with my fella, we've been seeing each other for 5 months and always used a condom. Everything was fine, then Saturday I felt a little nippy down below. Sunday came and I decided to have a look down there. I was horrified at what I saw. In the entrance of my vagina was a rather large white patch,it looked like a hole, filled with white stuff. After that it got really painful to pee, very painful to walk and even sit down. I told him it looks like herpes, as I googled it. 
      So that night I took a bath, and had another look after my bath. The white stuff had gone, and honest to God all i could see was a bright red looking hole. So this morning I went to my local clinic, and had a nurse take a look. she said it does look like herpes, it could be herpes, but it may not be. She tried to take a swab but the pain was that bad that everytime she touched it you had to peal me off the ceiling so she had to give up, gave me anti viral medication and an ointment to apply and I've to go back next week. I've had my suspicions for a while now as my ex had coldsores, and after a night with him I started to feel funny down there. This was a year and a half ago. Eventually I got diagnosed with vulvodynia, which I'm now thinking it may have been herpes all along.
      I don't know what to do. Feel disgusting. My boyfriend says if we'd never break up over it, but I'm an over thinker and I'm thinking the worst. I only done 2 things different last week, I used a hair removal cream, and used a different condom to the ones we had been using. Racking my brain trying to think of what else it could be, but honestly I do believe it's genital herpes and I'm gutted. It's the worse physical pain I've ever been in, peeing is the worst. 

• lilmay
      By lilmay
      So  about 2 months ago, I started having unprotected and protected sex with a new person. During this time, I was experiencing a lot of itchiness and some burning. When realizing this, I decided to go to my gynecologist who tested me for all vaginal bacterial infections and all stds. The results came out negative even though I have been having this constant itching and burning on my labia. I have also learned that when I have sex, the itching and burning gets more intense and sometimes my whole vulva would be inflamed for a day or two. My sexual partner also got tested for stds and he was negative as well. I don't know what to do to make this itching and burning stop. I stopped having sex for more than a month now and the problem still hasn't gone away. I keep thinking its herpes even though I got a blood test and never had any kind of sores and my partner has never experienced any kind of symptoms for it. What can I do?  

• morty1234
      By morty1234
      Hello,

I have noticed that most people who suffering of daily nerves pain are mainly male and have mediteranean background: turc, arabic, spanish, jew, (indian, pakistanese are obviously not mediteranean but they might have some ancestor ).. It's also my case.
      I want to confirm this hypothesis. Among people suffering of nerves pain, can you post if you are/are not with mediteranean background?
      It could be interesting to understand the virus and adapt a cure for us.
      Thank you
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • TerribleAtUserNames
      Oh, sorry, I think the catchy title I used was very misleading. And I didn't intend that. I put 'miracle cure' as air quotes because I don't actually think I've discovered a true cure. I mean, I still can get outbreaks, the virus is obviously still there. I like to at least think I'm not that arrogant or naive. 🙄 I had not definitively said anything for a couple reasons, including that I don't prefer making overly definitive statements to things I don't know.  And I was more talking with regard to what you were saying in your second paragraph in your most recent reply, whether tissue absorption had any additional effect to simple topical application. So, hopefully that's cleared up. But it is effectively a functional cure for me. In so far as I've gone from permanent outbreaks to one maybe every... 8ish months? I barely remember I have it.  And the point is that the virus has really impacted some people's lives. To the point where they take crazy--high risk--'treatments' or think about self harm. And if some other people can get the relief I've gotten from something so stupidly simple, I want them to be able to have that too. Especially given that the risk-reward ratio is--in my opinion at least--very favourable. I mean, its like literally 20-30 seconds of isopropyl alcohol a day. If it doesn't do jack for you in two weeks, move on--y'know? But I assume if it acts a particular way for me, it will likely act that way for at least someone else. And that could really change someone's life... Like it did mine.  Cheers, 
    • Cas9
      @TerribleAtUserNames OK, you need to understand the science. Alcohol does not seep into a nerve cell and kill the latent virus; That's a scientific fact. So you don't need to worry about checking. All the alcohol does is kill the virus on the skin surface. Whether it gets a little deeper in the skin layers and kills virus better than soap and water, I can't say for sure. Obviously, popping a blister and using alcohol will have a more drying effect than soap and water. The bottom line is that killing a herpes virus is easy when it's outside the nerve cell. Killing it in a nerve cell is difficult because anything that gets into the cell and kills the virus (breaking up it's dna), must not also damage the cell's dna. You need a smart bomb to do that. That's what gene editing is. It is programmed to have the ability to cut out dna segments specific to the virus without touching the cells dna. You have this image of the cell as a container and the alcohol just pours into it and kills the virus. If that was the case, it would destroy the cell's dna also. Cells are living things that have receptors on their cellular surface. Anything that gets into that cell, must have the protein that matches with one of the cell's receptors (like a key to a lock), which in turn causes the cell to let the substance enter. That's one method of how something gets in a cell. Do you honestly think that in all the decades that great scientific minds have tried to tackle this problem, that they simply missed your alcohol cure? C'mon man!!!      
    • dont quit!17
      That would be nice to have as an option. 
    • dont quit!17
      The momentum slowed down, when that forum member asked for a timeline. That is the last thing we should be asking. That's pretty frustrating. 
    • TerribleAtUserNames
      Hey everyone, thanks for responding! So you know, I updated the original post with negative effects I've experienced with alcohol as treatment, so feel free to check that out if you're curious.  Now, to what you guys were saying...    MaxTX: I actually use alcohol as my disinfectant of choice for most wounds. And sutiability seems to vary based on the type of alcohol used (says the internet). That being said, you are right apparently--but this isn't about the best wound treatment method. Its about stopping outbreaks. Regardless, I suspect the deleterious effects are fairly minor if you're trying to disinfect most wounds, but that's totally my personal opinion.  None the less, I'd suggest giving it a shot for outbreak prevention. It certainly works for me, hopefully it will for you too. And compared to taking an experimental vaccine or something like that, wouldn't this be easy and super low risk to try? Also if you google 'herpes' and 'alcohol' you can find a number of hits suggesting its use as a disinfectant for the sores.   Tired of Waiting: I'm sorry, it was a long time ago that I read her talking about it. But from what I remember, she was talking about wiping down there with alcohol, and how it helped with her outbreaks. I remember her also saying it burned like a mofo at first, but eventually became kinda second nature. I don't know what type of alcohol she used, sorry. Again, if you're concerned, maybe ask your doctor about safety? Like I said, isopropyl has worked well for me. I actually do use it before sex for that reason, back when I was having sex that is. Across 3 partners used with, no known infections--but given that I have hsv 1, and like 50-60% of the population is infected already, but only 10% present with symptoms, that could mean nothing. Unfortunately, I'm not a doctor, and certainly not one that has researched this scientifically, so I can't give you a firm answer for transmission prevention during sex. Personally, I'm confident in at least isopropyl alcohol's herpes killing abilities, even if just topically. For better or worse, real or imagined (but I suspect real), I let myself relax a lot more when using it before sex.  And then again after sex, for my own sake, hahaha, as I'm not overly keen on risking anything else. However, even this is something to consult a doctor about--I feel like there is conflicting information on whether it can be helpful post coitus, or whether it can actually increase the risk of getting an sti vs. simply washing. Imo, do some research and ask a physician to confirm or deny what you've learned.   Cas9: Soap and water never worked anywhere close to as well for me. Soap and water still meant permanent outbreak. So I suspect the alcohol is doing much more. I should clarify though, that I do actually dilligently use soap and water as well--the whole regular bathing thing 😁 I know you suggested to Tired of Waiting that it wouldn't affect outbreak frequency or the latent virus. I can't obviously check my own latent virus levels, but yes I can still get outbreaks if I stop using the alcohol. However I can, indeed, use it as a prophylactic for outbreaks, and it does prevent me from getting them the vast majority of the time. Perhaps because that kind of tissue is more absorbent or something? Or perhaps when topically applied the alcohol is significantly more potent and herpes unfriendly--which I believe really is also the case from what I've read. I know though that I can't discontinue alcohol treatment for more than 6ish days (my limit so far) without flaring up again. And with twice daily showers, that would strongly imply that soap and water is really not helping the same way.  Cheers, guys! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.