World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Mandi100

New BF is HSV2+

Mandi100

Hello all,

Happy that I just found this forum. 

My best friend and I have just recently decided to move into a BF/GF relationship.  He is type 2 and I have been told I'm type 1. (years ago I had blood tested.  Dr. said I had 'old antibodies' for type 1.  Was shocked as I am completely asymptomatic).  I plan to get an updated blood test this week just to be completely informed.

BF is type 2+ for 10+ years, but has avoided relationships for various reasons for a few reasons incl. the herpes.  So, he hasn't got all the info when it comes to how this works.

I've been reading up on transmission percentages, precautions, etc.  but still have a few questions.

I know you shouldn't have sex until an outbreak is completely healed, but when is it safe after taking the meds if no blisters ever form?  He only takes Valtrex at the first symptoms, not daily. I ask as a few days ago he got the 'hot skin' , as he calls it, which is a first symptom for him.  He immediately took the medicine for the prescribed 3 days.  ... and nothing since, no more symptoms.  So, if the meds did stop the outbreak from occurring, then how do you know when it's safe again?  (yeah, I understand that 'safe' is a relative term.)

------------------
Also, more as a matter of curiosity - I found some conflicting info about transmission rates in connection to already having type 1. 
-The STDProject.com: "... folks exposed to oral HSV1, or cold sores, the antibodies established in their system can reduce their subsequent risk of infection with HSV2 by as much as 40%. "

-Justherpes.com: " If you have HSV-1, however, you are still as susceptible to get HSV-2. "

Very different info there.  :/

Thanks for your time!

WilsoInAus

In terms of male to female transmission, condoms are awesome at reducing the transmission probability. This is then followed by suppression antivirals (it is worth him considering these).

I'd suggest that if there has been nothing for a period of 24 hours (after fully healing or other signs have subsided) then you are good to go; back to residual risk. Most shedding episodes last a matter of hours.

The issue is when you do a lot of studies, a couple out of 10 will show some weak signs in favour of the hypothesis. The protection afforded by HSV-1 is one such issue. The statistics show that the same proportion of people with HSV-1 as not having HSV-1 have HSV-2. Meaning if in an area 20% of people have HSV-2, then 20% of people with HSV-1 will have it and 20% of people without HSV-1 will have it. This observation in my view trumps the studies.

Some (and only some) studies result in some groups potentially being afforded protection from HSV-2 owing to their HSV-1 infection. I have seen studies where circumcised men with HSV-1 have some protection for example. This is not a repeatable observation with many studies finding no protection being afforded.

My own view is that the evidence is inconclusive and it is appropriate to assume that HSV-1 does not provide tangible protection from a subsequent HSV-2 infection.

Mandi100
13 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

I'd suggest that if there has been nothing for a period of 24 hours (after fully healing or other signs have subsided) then you are good to go;

So, just the tingling/hot skin feeling?  That was the confusing part - no blisters to watch heal, just that first vague symptom.  Started the Valtrex withing 24 hours of that (now several days ago) and nothing else developed.  I wasn't sure how long to wait without a more concrete sign.

Thanks for the clarification regarding Type 1.

Yeah, reading about the long-term dangers with the liver and kidneys, I wouldn't want him on it daily either honestly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• Skye249
      By Skye249
      How do you strike a balance between remaining unemotional in delivering a disclosure speak and any subsequent questions and being honest about how it has affected you emotionally?
      For me, the emotional fallout of dealing with HSV has had a huge impact and I find it hard to rationally think about how I would deal with this and all the stress of worrying about transmission without letting on how much I am thinking about it – to not scare the other person away and make them think HSV is something to worry about.
      I would want to inform a partner yet enable them to think about it with as little negativity as possible, and yet how could I do this if I was being honest about how I really feel about it?
      And if I couldn't be honest about my journey with it, would that in itself cause more resentment, anger and bitterness? This time directed at the virus itself not the person that gave it to me?
      In essence, for me, dealing with HSV on an emotional level wouldn’t end after a successful disclosure where someone wanted to be in a relationship with me. It’s not the end of the story.
      I've always had an anxiety and I've been seeing a counseller for two years now, as a result of getting HSV. It's not helping.
    • mcf1971
      By mcf1971
      I have genital hsv2 and started dating someone who also had genital hsv2 a couple of months ago. I've had it for 18 months and he already had it for 27 years. I haven't been on antivirals because I only had the initial outbreak and 1 more mild one during this time. He was aware of that when we got into this relationship and was not worried about it but, unfortunately I believe I transmitted hsv2 to his oral area when he performed oral sex on me. Then he freaked out, I don't blame him...it was a bad outbreak. He now says that he is afraid of going down on me and doesn't know if we will be able to get passed that. This happened over the past couple of week and I discovered that he already started to check out the positive singles website again. I'm so sad!! I realize that there is a high chance that I passed this to him so now I have hsv2 genital and he has both oral and genital.
      Another issue is that when we started to get intimate, I got tested for other sexually transmitted diseases and asked him to do the same. He dismissed me saying that he was very busy and was going to get to it "as soon as possible." I reminded him about the std testing after all this and he was still dismissive.  If there is one thing I learned from this is that from now on I will have a conversation about sexual health/safety before even touching them! It's crazy how it's so much easier to have sex before these conversations.
      What to do?
      Should I get on antivirals?
      Should he get on antivirals?
      Or both of us?
      If I have an hsv2 genital outbreak or shedding and I don't realize it, can the other person get an outbreak when they are already positive in that area?
      Is there hope for us? Could he just be looking at the site because he is confused or he wasn't that interested to begin with?

• Sadhiker
      By Sadhiker
      A good compilation of ongoing clinical trials for herpes is on this website:
      https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?recrs=ab&cond=Herpes+Simplex&term=&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=
      I also like this site for an idea of what's currently being funded by the NIH/NIAID.  You can also view all of their publications on HSV:
      https://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter_searchresults.cfm

• IamPositive
      By IamPositive
      Hi, I’ve read somewhere that woman who has herpes(in the past) then got pregnant, are unlikely to pass the virus to her offspring because her body send the passive antibodies through the placenta which protecting her newborn from the virus during the labour. Now, if it’s true.. how long that antibodies remains in the baby’s body? Is it that’s mean the baby won’t contract herpes in the future? For                example = I had herpes(GSHV2)  years before my pregnancy, had multiple outbreaks during my pregnancy and baby were born healthy. After the birth.. is my baby still has protection from the virus? If yes, how long?? Thank you.
    • WildernessWoman88
      By WildernessWoman88
      Hey everyone!
      I've seen a various posts across various forums regarding disclosing (or not) and have seen a bit of a trend in people thinking that it's 'hard to pass' with one encounter (lol) condoms make it impossible to pass, blah blah blah. So let's just try to compile some short & sweet answers to some basic H transmissions stories and questions...Could be helpful in many ways to lots of people!
      1. Did your giver: show symptoms / asymptomatic / disclose H to you? 
      2. Protected or unprotected? Oral/vaginal/anal? 
      3. How many encountrs with giver? (time frame of encounters ie. one weekend of several months?) 
      4. How were you diagnosed? (swab or blood test)
      5. Are you a symptomatic carrier (showed signs ie. outbreak) or asymptomatic (never showed signs, diagnosed by blood work) 
      6. How long from sexual exposure did you start to show symptoms? 
      7. How long did your primary outbreak last? How frequent have your recurrences been? (ie. one a month/year?) 
      8. How long have you been H+? 
      9. Are you on antivirals only during outbreak or suppressive therapy? Or have you gone the natural route? 
      10. Words or wisdom/support for newbies? 
      I'll go first... 
      1. No visible signs of H. Asymptomatic carrier not diagnosed with at the time so no disclosure. 
      2. Unprotected vaginal/oral. 
      3. 2x in a weekend (Friday night and Sunday morning) 
      4. Positive swab test during terrify primary outbreak. 
      5. Symptomatic HSV2+
      6. Friday/Sunday sex; initial first symptoms started Tuesday and quickly got aggressive. (in hospital by next Sunday) 
      7. OB lasted a few weeks. Cleared up, then I had a couple minor recurrences due to alcohol in following weeks but MINOR in comparison (just more annoying not excruciatingly painful) still working through this ATM. 
      8. I was infected Mar9/18 - diagnosed with Mar23/18.
      9. Antivirals during primary OB; lots of supplements and vitamins every day now and have changed my diet. 
      10. It does get better. Not back to normal better, but better. Take care of yourself and do whatever it needs for you to heal physically and emotionally. Find a good friend/family member/counsellor to confide in to help lessen the burden you are carrying. Get wine drunk with a friend and cry all night. Go to the top of a mountain and scream at the top of your lungs. Amazon shop till you max out your credit card buying things that make you happy. 
      Hope this can help some peope! 
      Love & light everyone! x
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Trace67
      Who said it was hard to believe? It's possible that it causes some Alzheimer's but its also possible that herpes merely takes advantage of a brain weakened by Alzheimer's rather than being the causative agent. This theory is a well-documented by experts. The fact is that they have no proof either way. Links do not prove anything and are often proven incorrect as causative agents. To further complicate things, they fully expect that Alzheimer's may have several causes. Therefore, the best way to handle it at the moment may be to reverse the damage with a cure which would likely work for all causes or at least most. It may be easier to fix for now and then prevent later as they learn more about the various causes. They may be on the brink of that now.
    • Metalhead!
      I have to agree. Only American companies are under the jurisdiction of the FDA but why do they extend their influence over all treatments and medicines globally cos they are corrupt yeah. Makes sense
    • hsv2fighter
      Dear Mike, I have access to academic resources. If you would like to have a look at the original report, you can tell me your email. Note that it's only for personal use of HSV cure research survey.
    • Waiting4newlife
      I got it from my ex-girlfriend from India. Break up after that. Now moving to canada. 
    • BrittanyGators
      In my opinion the FDA are the biggest scammers out there. From my side as a mother who had to see my Daughter be infected because of the terrible misrepresentation of Pharmaceutical medications (Valtrex) I think that the FDA has a lot to answer for.  They take their funding and bonus's to approve dangerous medications which have later turned out to be deadly.  They approve and endorse sugar with no limitation or regulation although it's the biggest cause of heart disease, diabetes and obesity.  All because they are part of the bigger business scams out there to keep the population dependent on antivirals for life.  I know I would much rather a natural solution for my Daughter than the toxic medications the FDA endorse. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.