World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
strength88

Understanding test results

strength88

Hi yall, so I got tested for HSV and I had my index show up .10 for both 1 and 2.

Then my buddy got tested and he's index were .35 for 1 and .20 for 2.

My question is why are there different ranges of the IgG testing.  Both are negative I understand that but why the ranges in the test results? 

Can anyone help explain this to me.

WilsoInAus

The test works by comparing the colour density of each testing well to a control well that is defined as 1. The colour gets darker as the antibodies stick to the antigen along with a coloured enzyme.

Each test set of wells will have a minimum value as even in the absence of antibodies there’s minor staining from the enzyme.

The control colour density defined as 1 also varies slightly between tests.

Hence every test as a different minimum value that could be in the range of 0 to 0.8 but typically from 0.1 to 0.4.

Such a value like for you and your buddy both are minimums and mean a complete absence of antibodies.

strength88

Than you for the reply.

We were both worried that he might have had it longer and was showing more antibodies "growth" or increase then me.  Not sure of those levels would go up in later weeks of a retest.  

I know that false negatives can come into play, not really sure when that false negative window is.  

I'm still waiting on my 12-week mark to get tested again.  I had sign of herpes when I thought I had contacted it through him.  Pimple like sores on my tongue, and a sore throat.  I still have concerns with currently, my whole neck region hurts and not a muscular pain either more inside of the throat.  I went to the Dr. and they said that the inside of my throat was red and they just put me on z-pack.  My neck has been hurting for about 3 weeks now.  I thought it was the swollen lymph nodes but she said that was fine.  Not sure what is going on with me but like I said I'm waiting for my 12-week mark to get tested again.

WilsoInAus

What you describe does not overly suggest herpes. As this partner has tested a clear negative, there is not really too much chance of a herpes infection. The only (very small) possibility is that he has an oral HSV-1 infection that transmitted. However the key symptom in this case would be sores around your mouth.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• Thordust
      By Thordust
      I had some recent burning down on my outer labia, wasn’t sure if it was a vaginal infection or irritation from a new soap I was using. Then I used Monistat since I wasn’t sure and the whole lady area swelled as an allergic reaction from it. I went to visit the OB to verify and we tested for STIs anyways and no visible sores anywhere. All results came back negative. However HSV2 igg test came back at 1.07 equivocal. My doctor told me I was positive. I have no clue what to believe? The CDC says low values should be retested with the WB. I’ve also had no lesions, blisters or nothing. Anyone experience this? Any advice on what I should do? Thank you!
    • Hellothisisjerry
      By Hellothisisjerry
      Hello. 

I had a mildly risky encounter. The girl had a bf for 1 year so that's a good sign. After they broke up we slept together a few times. Always using a condom. But on aug 26 we did not use a condom for sex. A week later I was moving into a new house and I legit wore the same underwear for like a week and also didn't wear underwear and wore tight jeans. 

About a month later I developed a rash. It was painless. Hardly itched. No blisters or ulcers. Like red rash and partially inflamed skin.  This rash all occurred under my foreskin. (I am uncircumcised). And then it went away a day or so after showering. But before it went away it was getting redder and redder. 

Another month later a less severe rash returned in the same area. I got std tested and all came back negative. The doctor did not do a herpes test, because there was no ulcers. And he did not do a herpes blood test because I have oral herpes when younger so it would show positive. But he looked at my penis rash and said it's just irritation or something. And gave me some cordrison (or whatever 1%) cream. 

This is is the third time that this rash has appeared in the span of 5ish months. It's never painful itchy or whatever. 

Gove me me your thoughts please. 

Symptoms experiences  
      smegma more more than usual. Sometimes dry skin peels off (very little)
      no itch, no burn, 

http://imgur.com/a/GmeJxcp
    • Hellosally
      By Hellosally
      I just found out I have both HSV 1 and HSV 2.  I am completely in shock! I wanna say I’ve had symptoms but they were on my genitals and only appeared to be razor bumps to me because they weren’t painful just slight uncomfortable.  I would also get cysts down there only after shaving and they would only last a couple days.  
      Here is what I know.  The test was IgG and tested for both separate I believe.  On the index Herpes 1 is >5.00 and Herpes 2 is 1.27.  I’m so confused because I’ve never had obvious symptoms and tested positive for BOTH.  Do you believe these tests are accurate.  This was a blood test and idk what to do or even think I can’t eat and have just been in bed all day.
    • blackgirlsrock
      By blackgirlsrock
      I just got diagnosed with genital herpes (idk which type) this August-september ish. I’ve been on Valacyclovir for almost 2 months now, but i still experience itching, & weird discharge, which i think may be caused by an outbreak. Any suggestions on what i can do? 
  • Trending Now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.