World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
strength88

Understanding test results

strength88

Hi yall, so I got tested for HSV and I had my index show up .10 for both 1 and 2.

Then my buddy got tested and he's index were .35 for 1 and .20 for 2.

My question is why are there different ranges of the IgG testing.  Both are negative I understand that but why the ranges in the test results? 

Can anyone help explain this to me.

WilsoInAus

The test works by comparing the colour density of each testing well to a control well that is defined as 1. The colour gets darker as the antibodies stick to the antigen along with a coloured enzyme.

Each test set of wells will have a minimum value as even in the absence of antibodies there’s minor staining from the enzyme.

The control colour density defined as 1 also varies slightly between tests.

Hence every test as a different minimum value that could be in the range of 0 to 0.8 but typically from 0.1 to 0.4.

Such a value like for you and your buddy both are minimums and mean a complete absence of antibodies.

strength88

Than you for the reply.

We were both worried that he might have had it longer and was showing more antibodies "growth" or increase then me.  Not sure of those levels would go up in later weeks of a retest.  

I know that false negatives can come into play, not really sure when that false negative window is.  

I'm still waiting on my 12-week mark to get tested again.  I had sign of herpes when I thought I had contacted it through him.  Pimple like sores on my tongue, and a sore throat.  I still have concerns with currently, my whole neck region hurts and not a muscular pain either more inside of the throat.  I went to the Dr. and they said that the inside of my throat was red and they just put me on z-pack.  My neck has been hurting for about 3 weeks now.  I thought it was the swollen lymph nodes but she said that was fine.  Not sure what is going on with me but like I said I'm waiting for my 12-week mark to get tested again.

WilsoInAus

What you describe does not overly suggest herpes. As this partner has tested a clear negative, there is not really too much chance of a herpes infection. The only (very small) possibility is that he has an oral HSV-1 infection that transmitted. However the key symptom in this case would be sores around your mouth.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• thissucks31
      By thissucks31
      Hey guys, 
      Has anyone experienced recurring coldsores every 3 weeks, externally and internally.
      I have had HSV1 since 2010, so 9 years. At some point I started having outbreaks on the roof of my mouth. 

Now at roughly 9 years, I'm getting them every 3 weeks, Roof of mouth and bottom lip. 

Any advice. 

I take 2gm Valtrex at the start of the break out then 1 grm every 12 hours after. I take lysine, escherichia (however you spell it) vit c, vit a, t cells booster (antacid med). Nothing is changing. 
      Any advice. Its seriously depressing in a shitty weird way. 
    • hangirl
      By hangirl
      Ive have GHSV1 for two years and have not experienced an OB since my first initial one.. except for now i think. I was very stressed and worrisome, which caused me to get itchy down there, and now everytime i wipe i feel like there are blisters, but when i look there are none! im so confused and not sure if its just my mind trying to trick me, but i can sometimes feel them when i am sitting down, it feels like pins and needles.. has anyone else experienced this?? i dont know what to do! im trying to not think about it and 'think' my way out of this outbreak
    • justagirlxox
      By justagirlxox
      Hi,
      I have a friend who a few years ago had a swab test done which came up with hsv2 however still to this day they test negative on every blood test including western blot. Apparently they only had bumps/blisters the first few weeks but nothing has happened since, including no tingling or soreness and its been years for them. Theyve never gotten a positive blood test, always negative.
      What are the chances of a false positive swab test? Is it possible their results were mixed up at the lab?
    • Muscha
      By Muscha
      I have tested negative for everything except hsv 1. My value was 1.31.  I was tested 16 days post exposure. I dont recall any cold sores anywhere on my body prior to my exposure but very possibly when I was a kid, I just dont remember any type of cold sores.  However, my main reason for testing is a concern for hsv2 and will test again at 16 weeks....(bump in my groin area).  Question 1. Could that numeric value for hsv1 be a false positive or possibly a new infection. Question 2. In light of so many false results that I have seen or heard ...would it make more sense to opt for a western blot or go with the Igg type specific test.  Thanks
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Balancelife
      When who gets a positive test? I have already tested positive (as you and I have discussed multiple times in other threads and I state here) and HIPA would prevent me for getting his results unless he willingly provides to me, but as I’ve also stated HE won’t get tested.  Ya can’t get blood from a stone. He has nothing that would even start to compensate for the pain and suffering, let alone the missed work because of the pain! 
    • WilsoInAus
      @Balancelife when you get a positive test, sue him!
    • JHenry
      Read what I wrote and start Googling.  Both the Einstein College of Medicine (William Jacobs and Betsy Herold)  and University of Pennsylvania/Trivalent (Harvey Friedman) seem to believe they are on the right track and have established relationships outside of their respective universities.  Yes, it’s early, but they are taking the bat and readying to swing at HSV.   Cross those fingers and stay positive!  
    • WilsoInAus
      Where ever you are trolling, I’ll be right there.
    • SeanHanson
      Fingers crossed!! Could you elaborate a bit on the research or maybe post a link to it? Definitely could be a little light in the dark 🙂

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.