World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
confusedpremed

confused about atypical symptoms

confusedpremed

Hi all, 

I've been looking at this forum for a while and was hoping to get some advice. I've had ongoing issues for about a month and it's not really clear what's going on. I'm gonna start from the beginning: 

I was drunk and had anal sex unprotected for a very brief period of time, less than a minute, before my wits came about me and we stopped having sex altogether. About a week after, I noticed a pinching pain on the right dorsal (upward) side of my glans penis. I began to suspect a herpes prodrome, since I've had a herpes scare in the past (HSV-1 -- came back negative). I started panicking and the pinching lasted for about 2 days, and no lesions or noticeable redness appeared, so eventually I figured it was nothing. ~1 week after this, I wake up for a tailgate and notice a small red patch, completely flat, with no lesions in the foreskin. I figured it was some kind of irritation and went about my business for the day. Then, the following day (so about 2 weeks out now), I'm laying down and notice a sudden sharp pain on the shaft of my penis. I notice a red jagged rash and monitor it throughout the day, it has a burning sensation. However, by the next morning (less than 24 hours later), the redness is completely gone; in the following days dry skin begins to develop in tiny circles, similar to how eczema resolves (definitely not raised scabs). I go to my university doctor, and he tests me for the normal STD panel, but says he doesn't notice anything abnormal about my penis (the dryness was very faint at this point and he didn't look very closely or use any viewing instrument). Test comes back positive for chlamydia, I begin treatment, and the symptoms for chlamydia start and end over the course of that week. I begin to develop a burning sensation in my scrotum and extending down the perineum to my anus (no contact occurred there) and notice a smell similar to a yeast infection/intertrigo (which I'm prone to). I also notice three raw "cuts) in the folds of my foreskin (I'm circumcised but have some excess skin), in addition to flat pin prick red dots along the rim of the glans with no fluid center, almost like fine point sharpie. I treated cuts with zinc oxide ointment and they dried up really fast, and the burning went away after a shower. I go home for the weekend preparing for spring break, and decide to start treating with gold bond spray and lotrimin, convinced that this is a fungal or yeast infection. That night I notice a small pinprick size raised white spot, doesn't really seem to contain fluid, but I panicked and made a second doctors appointment with my primary care. By the time I wake up like 7 hours later, the whitehead is gone aside from some very slight redness in a tiny pinprick spot, the doctor says it's nothing, but prescribes me Valtrex in case of emergency on vacation and orders HSV IgG test (now just under 4 weeks out). I didn't take valtrex and symptoms subsided but don't disappear altogether. I get a call from the doctor, HSV-1 and HSV-2 both negative, I'm aware that tests aren't fully accurate until ~12 weeks, but I take it as a good sign. However, towards the end of the following week, I begin to notice redness on ventral side of penis by the urethra. I treat it with fungal creams etc and it kind of comes and goes over the course of the week. At the end of the week I had a long travel day, and notice that it is significantly worse, there is raised skin and irritation but no fluid-filled lesions or scabs. I start taking the 3-day course of Valtrex, while still treating with fungal cream, which leads me to today. Fungal cream appears to be irritating the inflammation, so I just stopped, but I notice redness in my foreskin again near where it was before. Still no noticeable lesions, hardly any pain. When I urinate it passes over the inflammation on the glans and even then it doesn't really hurt at all. There is very slight burning in the red region. 

I'm sorry to give so much context but it's been a long and stressful journey. Has anyone had similar symptoms? The time frame is strange, the symptoms are strange, and I'm confused as to how to interpret the test results at 4 weeks. However, since I acquired chlamydia, it doesn't seem far off that I would acquire another STD, especially given this all began after that event. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

EDIT: I also developed eczema during my trip (likely due to sun exposure or possibly stress) but this could be a potential confounder. Also, friction and masturbation both definitely appear to contribute to the inflammation.

Edited by confusedpremed

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• lilmay
      By lilmay
      So  about 2 months ago, I started having unprotected and protected sex with a new person. During this time, I was experiencing a lot of itchiness and some burning. When realizing this, I decided to go to my gynecologist who tested me for all vaginal bacterial infections and all stds. The results came out negative even though I have been having this constant itching and burning on my labia. I have also learned that when I have sex, the itching and burning gets more intense and sometimes my whole vulva would be inflamed for a day or two. My sexual partner also got tested for stds and he was negative as well. I don't know what to do to make this itching and burning stop. I stopped having sex for more than a month now and the problem still hasn't gone away. I keep thinking its herpes even though I got a blood test and never had any kind of sores and my partner has never experienced any kind of symptoms for it. What can I do?  

• UnforgivenG2288
      By UnforgivenG2288
      Hello 
      i sort of feeling the same way.
      my HSV status was negative last time I had test done(a year ago) but after then I have had 3 protected sex partners which one of them while having sex my condom broke and what freak me out is she was during her period (so I started to clean my stuff around after sex and asking her is things are all good, of course she said yes.
      we are coworkers so I see her pretty much every day or so, but she didn’t wanna a relationship, after this episode I got tested for regular STD tests (which didn’t include HSV ) and didn’t think about it much.all was fine 
      my last relation lasted 6 month And we were always protected, I was an ass for not pursuing it because I was scared of commitment...
      now nearly a year after the initial incident with the girl and I’m having all those thoughts that are driving me insane if I have herpes without me knowing, I haven’t had any alarming symptoms related to herpes but I keep reading that symptoms may never show. 
      Is that true? How likely to get an outbreak after initial infection if she ever was carrying the virus (I never asked her her std status ) thinking about this made me gone to get another HSV test.
      between the 3 could she be more likely to give it to me between all my 3 partners ? 
    • anom1990
      By anom1990
      Hi everyone.
      I’m still trying to process this but I am a gay male in my late 20’s that was recently diagnosed with HSV-2 in October 2018. I haven’t been sexually active since 2015 and have only engaged in sexual activity with four people in my life. I’m feeling a lot of emotions because of this; sad, angry, confused, violated, ect. Thoughts like who would’ve thought someone like little ole me, compared to all of the VERY promiscuous people in the world, would end up with Genital Herpes ESPECIALLY when I’ve been abstinent and just focusing on myself for years. That was a gunshot to my soul. It’s crazy that I’ve ALWAYS done regular STD testing, thinking I was negative for everything only to find out that Herpes was never included in my testing because I never knew you had to literally ask for that until this year. The CDC and medical industry is so fucked up and wrong for that. I’ve always used protection, except with my first boyfriend but that was back in 2009-2010 and a condom broke with a sexual encounter I had back in 2011 and I remember immediately putting a new one on him. Unfortunately, all of the men I’ve dealt with sexually are questionable. Half of me wants to know who gave this to me but the other half is like what’s the point. I only have access to contact three of them (I don’t know where the other guy is) but I haven’t spoken to two of them in years, one of them in a whole decade and it would be pretty awkward for me years later to write them a message about herpes. My first boyfriend and I are cordial but he’s still immature so it would be very awkward with him. Anyways, as I’ve been thinking and backtracking my life, I would think I caught this back in 2011 because I remember my anus itching so badly but I thought it was just my hair growing back because I do recall shaving before having sex so I guess that was my first outbreak. Other times I would just get a minor itch in and on my buttocks but I never would’ve thought herpes. I’ve never got outbreaks on my penile area. This is all still confusing and baffling to me. I’m still sad and feeling like my future love life was taken from me. I feel like part of my confidence was taken from me. I don’t even feel comfortable flirting and finding people attractive right now. I’m just releasing my thoughts about my situation but I do have questions. My results also came back saying I had extremely low Vitamin D deficiency; does HSV-2 have something to do with that? Is there a test I could take to tell me exactly when I contracted this virus? This question may be TMI but I masturbate and I notice that a lot of sperm doesn’t cum out sometimes, does HSV-2 have something to do with that?
    • Henson8675309
      By Henson8675309
      Had unprotected sex aug 14, got std tested results came back positive for chlamydia I then got medication which gave me positive results for bacterial vaginosis. Told tdoctor my symptoms and after taking a swab of my cervix during a wellness exam she told me nothing looking out of the ordinary. Fast forward to now, I'm still getting itches and stings from time to time in my vagina and for about a month now I have been having back main mostly lower back pain arm aches leg aches feet aches hip aches and pelvic aches. (Could this be prodrome?) During this time I have had a big bump that looked somewhat like a cyst that just went down on its own and peeled a bit but never popped. For a while my Anus was always itchy but that subsided once I forced myself to stop scratching. I have had bumps or pimples on thighs and the bottom of my butt cheek that also never popped and just went away on its own (assumed pimples or razor bumps) Haven't had any swelling in the lymph nodes though. Sometime last week my clit had a tiny pain I say tiny bc I barely even noticed it, but there was small pain while I peed and a day later I look in the mirror and notice redness around it. Didn't hurt or itch when I touched it.  I'm On my period now and so far as of today I haven't had any lower back pain. Now idk if all of these symptoms have come from my worrying, as I have been having anxiety about herpes since the unprotected sex in august, but it's driving me crazy I look in a 5x mirror everyday noticing every little bump freaking out wondering if it could be herpes and then when it goes away I feel a bit better just to find something else the next day. but when describing these bumps to the doctor she says they're more than likely razor bumps or pimples and to go back once and if they ever ooze and I haven't been back bc like I said they never popped nothing ever oozed out of the bumps I seen. Today while checking in the mirror I noticed some red or flesh colored bumps I'd wet much appreciate if someone looked at them for me ! Please give me some type of feedback I am praying on this ! The first thre pictures are from today the 4th pic was about two days ago.
      https://m.imgur.com/SAV1s00
      https://m.imgur.com/GbIj2WU
      https://m.imgur.com/qWvuvNE
      https://m.imgur.com/sBX0nlw 
      area at the op of my vagina two days ago (1st pic) and now (2nd pic)
      https://m.imgur.com/gBWR9N5
      https://m.imgur.com/7fxl90Z
      @WilsoInAus please offer feedback!! Thank you so much 
    • Theairplanelanded
      By Theairplanelanded
      Hi guys I am worried if I got herpes. I have gone to the doctor and they have all said I am fine, I recently had Oral sex from a girl I met. I had it done two times. The first time I was fine and the next time, I felt pain in my urine.  Uti tests and stds tests expect for Herpes was done and I was good. The pain went away but I have these red sores and I am confused if they are anything? The doctor said they are normal but I just want some feedback. Thank you guys please comment.  My pictures are there 
      https://ibb.co/mV8jbp
      https://ibb.co/jqnubp
      https://ibb.co/fGze99
      https://ibb.co/dP6gNU
      https://ibb.co/m9Sz99
      https://ibb.co/jcfK99
      https://ibb.co/nbg4bp
      https://ibb.co/kxv82U
      https://ibb.co/enKCU9

• Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Balancelife
      When who gets a positive test? I have already tested positive (as you and I have discussed multiple times in other threads and I state here) and HIPA would prevent me for getting his results unless he willingly provides to me, but as I’ve also stated HE won’t get tested.  Ya can’t get blood from a stone. He has nothing that would even start to compensate for the pain and suffering, let alone the missed work because of the pain! 
    • WilsoInAus
      @Balancelife when you get a positive test, sue him!
    • JHenry
      Read what I wrote and start Googling.  Both the Einstein College of Medicine (William Jacobs and Betsy Herold)  and University of Pennsylvania/Trivalent (Harvey Friedman) seem to believe they are on the right track and have established relationships outside of their respective universities.  Yes, it’s early, but they are taking the bat and readying to swing at HSV.   Cross those fingers and stay positive!  
    • WilsoInAus
      Where ever you are trolling, I’ll be right there.
    • SeanHanson
      Fingers crossed!! Could you elaborate a bit on the research or maybe post a link to it? Definitely could be a little light in the dark 🙂

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.