World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Brazilian waxes are bullsh

It's unfair out there

Hey, so I'm just going to jump into it. I had gotten a Brazilian wax right before valentines day this year. Five days later I start to become in more pain than I was during the damn wax. I went to the doctor and she did a culture, and three days later I got a call telling me that I was positive for herpes. I get tested all the time. It is free at school and every time there is a possibility of throwing in an STI test with something else I'm already being tested for, my doctor does it. I have dodged some serious bullets. A bikini wax takes me out of the game after being in a long term relationship and settling down from those crazy, stupid, college years. My mom has herpes from my scumdumb father so I luckily dodged that during me coming into the world. I have embarrassingly done the whole too drunk to remember protection and a one night stand a few years ago luckily with out contracting anything or getting pregnant. Go team... But now. 22 years old. Never had a single health problem thank god. Gets hit in the vag with one of the big scary. All because I was trying to look nice for my extremely understanding and supportive boyfriend who took the news a f-ton better than I did. I have been talking about it with friends, to make sure they keep safe and don't risk the Brazilian wax. But sadly now I am left with these awful feelings. I feel selfish and worried about giving it to my boyfriend. I think about it 24/7. I already had a fear of vaginas to begin with. So straight its scary. And now I just have this huge insecurity I can't do anything about. I feel silly for complaining about weight all these years. And I hate hearing STD comments in shows or movies or from friends that don't know. It is not funny anymore and does not have a direct correlation with someone being dirty. This shit can be luck of the draw. Or un luck of the draw. I also get these weird tingles in my butt crack. So that is fun. Constantly walking around like thinking this is for the rest of my damn life. Always looking like the Will Smith "Pls Help" meme.

Taintedgirl

Hey there first of all welcome to the club lol I’m 23 and I have this too. This is a great place for people with herpes feel free to ask any questions we’re all here for you. I also have a few questions if you don’t mind like did your boyfriend get tested? I only ask because I’m a little skeptical that a Brazilian wax gave you herpes but stranger things have happened. Do you have or have you ever gotten a cold sore? I ask because I think you should get a blood test to figure out if you’ve had this a while and the wax triggered an outbreak. 

Hey! Thank you for reading this. I don't mind! We went to his doctor 5 days after I got the news and he said there wasn't really a need for a test if he is showing no symptoms. I didn't agree with that because my mom is non symptomatic. But I didn't feel like telling him to get a test done anyway considering how down to earth he was about it. I have expressed since that I want him to get the legit blood test, because I want to know if he does contract it from me, like when it was. I was skeptical about it also. I have looked it up a ton and my doctor has patients that have gotten it from waxes as well, sent in health departments. She says all of them double dip or reuse sticks at some point if not always. I also had just gotten a blood test 2 weeks before the wax because I was getting my thyroid checked out and I asked them to test for herpes and so forth. And both came back okay and negative. I had gotten that first outbreak a few days after the wax and I couldn't believe the pain and how terrible it looked. I've never even had anything remotely similar to that happen. Yeah a nursing major friend of mine asked me if I could have had it before had because the trauma of ripping hair could have caused an outbreak. But I get tested every semester at school and just before it at my doctors. I totally went through that wild faze a few years back so I always stay on top of that. Please don't hesitate to ask me questions because I am legit losing my mind over here.

Taintedgirl
10 minutes ago, Brazilian waxes are bullsh said:

Hey! Thank you for reading this. I don't mind! We went to his doctor 5 days after I got the news and he said there wasn't really a need for a test if he is showing no symptoms. I didn't agree with that because my mom is non symptomatic. But I didn't feel like telling him to get a test done anyway considering how down to earth he was about it. I have expressed since that I want him to get the legit blood test, because I want to know if he does contract it from me, like when it was. I was skeptical about it also. I have looked it up a ton and my doctor has patients that have gotten it from waxes as well, sent in health departments. She says all of them double dip or reuse sticks at some point if not always. I also had just gotten a blood test 2 weeks before the wax because I was getting my thyroid checked out and I asked them to test for herpes and so forth. And both came back okay and negative. I had gotten that first outbreak a few days after the wax and I couldn't believe the pain and how terrible it looked. I've never even had anything remotely similar to that happen. Yeah a nursing major friend of mine asked me if I could have had it before had because the trauma of ripping hair could have caused an outbreak. But I get tested every semester at school and just before it at my doctors. I totally went through that wild faze a few years back so I always stay on top of that. Please don't hesitate to ask me questions because I am legit losing my mind over here.

I’m with the nurse but your negative blood test two weeks before makes me somewhat of a believer in the wax story. What test was given two weeks ago was it an igg or igm test? 

I'm not sure, how do I know which is which? I know they took a lot of blood from me haha. I had thought something was wrong with my thyroid because I gained like 15 pounds for no real reason with no real changes to physical activity level or diet, in such a small amount  of time. So I asked if she could test for STIs as well while were at it.

Taintedgirl
8 minutes ago, Brazilian waxes are bullsh said:

I'm not sure, how do I know which is which? I know they took a lot of blood from me haha. I had thought something was wrong with my thyroid because I gained like 15 pounds for no real reason with no real changes to physical activity level or diet, in such a small amount  of time. So I asked if she could test for STIs as well while were at it.

You want to get an igg test to make sure it’s not an old infection. If this is indeed a new Infection your antibodies have no kicked in yet so they probably won’t be detected but if it’s an old infection you should have a positive result. Please try to get one and encourage your boyfriend to get tested too. 

I had no idea that was even a thing! I'm assuming its a new one because this is my third outbreak in about two months. I'm in so much pain down there. But I will be calling my doctors tomorrow to find out what it was and if it wasn't a igg I will be getting one. Thank you so much! I can't stand living like this. Always having to check my downstairs to put some jeans on or possibly have sex. It's driving me a little nuts.

Taintedgirl
1 minute ago, Brazilian waxes are bullsh said:

I had no idea that was even a thing! I'm assuming its a new one because this is my third outbreak in about two months. I'm in so much pain down there. But I will be calling my doctors tomorrow to find out what it was and if it wasn't a igg I will be getting one. Thank you so much! I can't stand living like this. Always having to check my downstairs to put some jeans on or possibly have sex. It's driving me a little nuts.

Consider going on suppressive drugs especially since you are worried about your boyfriend getting infected ask your doctor about them. I also emphasize the igg because it gives what type of herpes you have you can hsv 1/2 or both so that information will be valuable to you. 

I have HSV2 I'm pretty positive, I have herpe homework. Something I never thought I would say. Is suppressive drugs the same as valacyclovir? My doctor prescribed me treatment doses. 10 days the first outbreak, 3 days the second and she said if I have another within the year she would put me on a daily one. So I just called in yesterday about that. 

Taintedgirl
8 minutes ago, Brazilian waxes are bullsh said:

I have HSV2 I'm pretty positive, I have herpe homework. Something I never thought I would say. Is suppressive drugs the same as valacyclovir? My doctor prescribed me treatment doses. 10 days the first outbreak, 3 days the second and she said if I have another within the year she would put me on a daily one. So I just called in yesterday about that. 

Yes the daily one is suppressive drugs. I think you should do an igg just because it’s on your genitals doesn’t make it hsv 2 I for example have hsv 1 on my genitals the test told me that. 

I did not know that. Holy crap. I'm going to have to keep ya'll updated. Everything about this is super unpleasant.

Wtfisthisplease
Posted (edited)

You did not get herpes from a Brazilian wax. You had a latent infection and the waxing triggered an outbreak. 

Edited by Wtfisthisplease

I just heard back from my doctor. It was an igg test. I'm just relaying what my doctor said. I'm listening to him and the research I've already done. It's not like I'm making this up or asking anyone to discreadit my situation. If you have opinions/suggestions, that's fine. I've gotten tested for everything at least 10 times from the age of 19. Not sure if that makes a difference with your direct latent comment.

jim smith

So here I am, 1/2 hour from coming from the Dr's office and having him telling me to wait for 4 to 5 days for confirmation. My thoughts are all over the place. He says it's most likely that it IS herpes but which one he can't tell me.  The worst thing is it's in my mouth!!!  It's nowhere else on my body.  I'm 80 percent sure of who I contracted it from and like I said, my mind is everywhere right now.  I'm definitely going to get drunk tonight and hopefully not do anything stupid.  I don't blame anyone but me for the shit I'm right now but I guess I lied to myself by believing this can't happen with oral sex.  Now we know don't we. I feeling pretty much fucked right now. I was lonely before but now.....jesus,,,,,,I 'm going to be alone for the rest of my life.  I'm starting a new career and wondering how I'm going to be able to concentrate on it with this new revelation consuming my thoughts.  I'm so lost in my head right now. I don't blame anyone but myself.  This really does suck.

Thanks for listening.

Taintedgirl
4 hours ago, Brazilian waxes are bullsh said:

I just heard back from my doctor. It was an igg test. I'm just relaying what my doctor said. I'm listening to him and the research I've already done. It's not like I'm making this up or asking anyone to discreadit my situation. If you have opinions/suggestions, that's fine. I've gotten tested for everything at least 10 times from the age of 19. Not sure if that makes a difference with your direct latent comment.

What does the igg say? What were the results and figures?

WannaCry

So Brazilian waxing itself would not of given you HSV. However waxing causes micro tears in the skin and for some people that can trigger an OB. The same goes for shaving.

HSV has to be at body temp and wet to stay 'viable'. The wax pots used for bikini waxing are much, much too hot for the HSV virus to survive. Also HSV does not shed from hands without an active whitlow outbreak and you would of noticed that (blistery red fingers!) and most waxers I've seen wear gloves anyway.

Sadly if your two week blood test after the OB from the wax was negative it is HIGHLY likely your boyfriend is who transferred to you as if you had an 'old' infection it would of shown up on that blood test.

Michael1022

All the yearly tests you have gotten over the years for STDs do NOT include a herpes test.   Unless you go to your primary doctor and insist on a herpes test you were not tested for it.   The cdc does not recommend testing without symptoms therefore any clinics, county or city testing sites or your doctor will not test for it.    So the Brazilian wax did not cause your infection.    If you want to feel better about yourself you can tell yourself it was the waxing.    The truth is those times you thought you got away with it...you didn’t.   It gets a lot of us

Curious1998
On 4/2/2018 at 2:40 PM, jim smith said:

So here I am, 1/2 hour from coming from the Dr's office and having him telling me to wait for 4 to 5 days for confirmation. My thoughts are all over the place. He says it's most likely that it IS herpes but which one he can't tell me.  The worst thing is it's in my mouth!!!  It's nowhere else on my body.  I'm 80 percent sure of who I contracted it from and like I said, my mind is everywhere right now.  I'm definitely going to get drunk tonight and hopefully not do anything stupid.  I don't blame anyone but me for the shit I'm right now but I guess I lied to myself by believing this can't happen with oral sex.  Now we know don't we. I feeling pretty much fucked right now. I was lonely before but now.....jesus,,,,,,I 'm going to be alone for the rest of my life.  I'm starting a new career and wondering how I'm going to be able to concentrate on it with this new revelation consuming my thoughts.  I'm so lost in my head right now. I don't blame anyone but myself.  This really does suck.

Thanks for listening.

I total under stand how you feel I’m still waiting on my results I’m soo fucking scared.