World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Lukeherpwalker

Propolis

Lukeherpwalker

There are multiple studies showing that propolis works better than acyvlovir but only in ointment form... Why isn't there any study on propolis as a suppressant taken in pill form ??

Quest

Later tonight I will pass on some information from a book by Life Extension diseases. I forget the exact name.

Lukeherpwalker
13 hours ago, stronghands87 said:

?

??

Quest

I will try to send pictures to your email.

Quest

I sent them to your inbox. 

brookeb300

Does anyone take propolis in pill form?  Does it work at all?

GSXR 1000

I know they sell it on ebay in bulk form ... its like a tar gel substance yellowish brown 

Quest
Posted (edited)

Phytomedicine. 2010 Feb;17(2):132-8. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2009.07.006. Epub 2009 Aug 13.

Mechanism of herpes simplex virus type 2 suppression by propolis extracts.

Abstract

Genital herpes caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) is a chronic, persistent infection spreading efficiently and silently as sexually transmitted disease through the population. Antiviral agents currently applied for the treatment of herpesvirus infections include acyclovir and derivatives. Aqueous and ethanolic extracts of propolis were phytochemically analyzed, different polyphenols, flavonoids, and phenylcarboxylic acids were identified as major constituents. The aqueous propolis extract revealed a relatively high amount of phenylcarboxylic acids and low concentrations flavonoids when compared to the ethanolic special extract GH 2002. The cytotoxic and antiherpetic effect of propolis extracts against HSV-2 was analyzed in cell culture and revealed a moderate cytotoxicity on RC-37 cells. The 50% inhibitory concentration (IC(50)) of aqueous and ethanolic GH 2002 propolis extracts for HSV-2 plaque formation was determined at 0.0005% and 0.0004%, respectively. Both propolis extracts exhibited high levels of antiviral activity against HSV-2 in viral suspension tests, infectivity was significantly reduced by >99% and a direct concentration- and time-dependent antiherpetic activity could be demonstrated for both extracts. In order to determine the mode of virus suppression by propolis, the extracts were added at different times during the viral infection cycle. Addition of these drugs to uninfected cells prior to infection or to herpesvirus-infected cells during intracellular replication had no effect on virus multiplication. However, both propolis extracts exhibited high anti-herpetic activity when viruses were pretreated with these drugs prior to infection. Selectivity indices were determined at 80 and 42.5 for the aqueous and ethanolic extract, respectively, thus propolis extracts might be suitable for topical therapy in recurrent herpetic infection. @moialbalushi

Edited by Quest
add date Feb 2010

moialbalushi
4 minutes ago, Quest said:

Mechanism of herpes simplex virus type 2 suppression by propolis extracts.

Abstract

Genital herpes caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) is a chronic, persistent infection spreading efficiently and silently as sexually transmitted disease through the population. Antiviral agents currently applied for the treatment of herpesvirus infections include acyclovir and derivatives. Aqueous and ethanolic extracts of propolis were phytochemically analysed, different polyphenols, flavonoids and phenylcarboxylic acids were identified as major constituents. The aqueous propolis extract revealed a relatively high amount of phenylcarboxylic acids and low concentrations flavonoids when compared to the ethanolic special extract GH 2002. The cytotoxic and antiherpetic effect of propolis extracts against HSV-2 was analysed in cell culture, and revealed a moderate cytotoxicity on RC-37 cells. The 50% inhibitory concentration (IC(50)) of aqueous and ethanolic GH 2002 propolis extracts for HSV-2 plaque formation was determined at 0.0005% and 0.0004%, respectively. Both propolis extracts exhibited high levels of antiviral activity against HSV-2 in viral suspension tests, infectivity was significantly reduced by >99% and a direct concentration- and time-dependent antiherpetic activity could be demonstrated for both extracts. In order to determine the mode of virus suppression by propolis, the extracts were added at different times during the viral infection cycle. Addition of these drugs to uninfected cells prior to infection or to herpesvirus-infected cells during intracellular replication had no effect on virus multiplication. However both propolis extracts exhibited high anti-herpetic activity when viruses were pretreated with these drugs prior to infection. Selectivity indices were determined at 80 and 42.5 for the aqueous and ethanolic extract, respectively, thus propolis extracts might be suitable for topical therapy in recurrent herpetic infection.

Is rhere a date for this study ? 

Quest
Posted (edited)

another one

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4750782/

:x

Antiviral Activity of Hatay Propolis Against Replication of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 and Type 2

Ayse Yildirim,1,A,B,C,D,E,F,G Gulay Gulbol Duran,2,B,C,D,E,F,G Nizami Duran,3,A,B,C,D,E,F,GKemal Jenedi,3,B,C Behiye Sezgin Bolgul,4,B,C,G Meral Miraloglu,5,B,C,G andMustafa Muz6,C,D,F
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract

Background

Propolis is a bee product widely used in folk medicine and possessing many pharmacological properties. In this study we aimed to investigate: i) the antiviral activities of Hatay propolis samples against HSV-1 and HSV-2 in HEp-2 cell line, and ii) the presence of the synergistic effects of propolis with acyclovir against these viruses.

Material/Methods

All experiments were carried out in HEp-2 cell cultures. Proliferation assays were performed in 24-well flat bottom microplates. We inoculated 1×105 cells per ml and RPMI 1640 medium with 10% fetal calf serum into each well. Studies to determine cytotoxic effect were performed. To investigate the presence of antiviral activity of propolis samples, different concentrations of propolis (3200, 1600, 800, 400, 200, 100, 75, 50, and 25 μg/mL) were added into the culture medium. The amplification of HSV-1 and HSV-2 DNA were performed by real-time PCR method. Acyclovir (Sigma, USA) was chosen as a positive control. Cell morphology was evaluated by scanning electron microscopy (SEM).

Results

The replication of HSV-1 and HSV-2 was significantly suppressed in the presence of 25, 50, and 100 μg/mL of Hatay propolis. We found that propolis began to inhibit HSV-1 replication after 24 h of incubation and propolis activity against HSV-2 was found to start at 48 h following incubation. The activity of propolis against both HSV-1 and HSV-2 was confirmed by a significant decrease in the number of viral copies.

Conclusions

We determined that Hatay propolis samples have important antiviral effects compared with acyclovir. In particular, the synergy produced by antiviral activity of propolis and acyclovir combined had a stronger effect against HSV-1 and HSV-2 than acyclovir alone.

Edited by Quest

brookeb300

I was just wondering if anyone on here had good results while taking it.

doh!
14 hours ago, brookeb300 said:

I was just wondering if anyone on here had good results while taking it.

Ditto.

My better half has a large hive. How to harvest....?

Jimmyjimmyhuapua

Propolis i tried it but i put 10 drops in a glass of water didnt appyl it directly to genital area. So by drinking i didnt see any difference. But i dont know in that research they applied it to skin or not

Chicagonow

So u did try it in liquid.form for how long and just to be clear u r still having frequent ob

Lukeherpwalker
2 hours ago, Jimmyjimmyhuapua said:

Propolis i tried it but i put 10 drops in a glass of water didnt appyl it directly to genital area. So by drinking i didnt see any difference. But i dont know in that research they applied it to skin or not

How many times did u drink it ? Like how long were u using it ?

moialbalushi
14 hours ago, Jimmyjimmyhuapua said:

Its should be applied in the skin either as ointment or cream. Proposil had lots of products.

Jimmyjimmyhuapua
22 hours ago, Lukeherpwalker said:

How many times did u drink it ? Like how long were u using it ?

I bought a bottle and i used it 2 months and it didnt stop my obs. I  put 10 drops in a glass of water everymorning with empty stomach. Its strong really when i drink i feel it but drinking it didnt help to reduce obs

Chicagonow

How often u get obs and r they visible

MikeHerp

I take propolis capsules.  Not sure if it does anything.  Haven't noticed any difference.  But who knows, maybe it's helping.  

Lukeherpwalker
3 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

I take propolis capsules.  Not sure if it does anything.  Haven't noticed any difference.  But who knows, maybe it's helping.  

How long have u been taking them

MikeHerp
On 4/14/2018 at 11:31 PM, Lukeherpwalker said:

How long have u been taking them

Maybe around 2 months.  I have a feeling that when propolis goes through your stomach, it's not the same things anymore.