World's Largest Herpes Support Group
confusedpremed

Prodrome Symptoms

confusedpremed

Hi all, 

I was curious as to what you all get in terms of a prodrome prior to an OB? Mine is always a pinching pain in one spot on the glans penis, but weirdly I've never had an OB on the spot. Anyone have a similar experience?

Cat_Glam18

For me it has always been itching at the site where the sore is going to pop out ( insane itching )I have never experienced any other symptoms other than this!

Scooby2112

When you say pinching is it below the skin? Or on the surface?   

Do you  get outbreaks after the pinching? Just in a different or nearby location?

or do you not get outbreaks after that sensation?   

You can get sensations away from the outbreak location due to refered sensations on the same nerve pathway.  

I think most people have different sensations and could be impacted by many things including whether takin AVs., how long they have had the virus, and virus type/location.  

I also hear pinching or burning are common.  

confusedpremed
1 hour ago, Scooby2112 said:

When you say pinching is it below the skin? Or on the surface?   

Do you  get outbreaks after the pinching? Just in a different or nearby location?

or do you not get outbreaks after that sensation?   

You can get sensations away from the outbreak location due to refered sensations on the same nerve pathway.  

I think most people have different sensations and could be impacted by many things including whether takin AVs., how long they have had the virus, and virus type/location.  

I also hear pinching or burning are common.  

Scooby, it's always on the surface. Truthfully, I've never had a full OB and I don't know if I'm HSV-2 positive yet. I get transient redness and once inflammation but no visible papules that rupture. A 3-day course of Valtrex didn't really do anything to the inflammation but I'm treating with antifungals. Been to a few doctors and came back negative on IgG ~4 weeks out for HSV1 and 2. No where near my college campus does pCR swab so I'm kinda in limbo until I can get the 3 month confirmation IgG

Scooby2112

Hey confused.  

I am in a somewhat similar position.  I had an oral sex encounter that I regretted back in July of 2017.  

In Sept (10weeks) I tested positive for HSV1 (igg= 4.5) negative for HSV2 .  8 years earlier I tested negative for both HSV1 and 2.  

I have had no typical outbreaks and during August to December I saw 6 different Drs (2 urgent care Drs, my primary care, 2 dermatologists and a urologust). a total of 22 times and never did their examinations identify anything they felt was herpetic (or realy anything they saw on my penis).  Or on average one a week.  

However during this time I had erythema (redness/swelling) on my penis just in an area where the foreskin would be (but I am circumcised).  This also felt like burning sensation constantly for months.  I also have burning feeling on my thighs (mostly the front of my thighs, but also some on my butt cheeks). Still till this day   Tight clothing really makes the thigh burning worse  

I don’t know where my hsv1 is without ever having blisters   Also sounds like having constant sensations for 8 months would be unlikely to be hsv (or at least only hsv).  

I am assuming some of it is damage I did to my own sensitive area.  I tried keeping lotions and creams on my penis to keep it from being dry.  Tried numerous antifungals (powders and creams).  Tried steroids creams (under dermatologist recommendation).  Tried homeopathic things like aloe, calamine, propolis ointment as well.  

Before most of the burning started I was treated for ghonrhea and Chlamydia with two different strong antibiotics (one via a shot in my butt).  Turns out those tests came back negative.  Also at the same time I was given antifungal tablets.  This might have totally messed up my normal system causing some of these issues.  

I have done basically nothing since January other than use an antifungal shampoo every few days.  Things are way better but still have warm sensations on my boxer shorts area (primarily thighs and butt).  

Penis is almost to the point where I don't feel it (which is huge considering I felt it constantly for so long.  

Not sure this helps you.  But wanted to give you my background.  How I am sure some was anxiety or over treatment on my part.  Still can't say that I don't have H.  If I do, it's very mild in terms that I haven't had any major sores or anything.  

Still hoping for the best hut coming to Grips with the fact that even if it is I may be on the lucky side with minor symptoms.  

confusedpremed
1 hour ago, Scooby2112 said:

Hey confused.  

I am in a somewhat similar position.  I had an oral sex encounter that I regretted back in July of 2017.  

In Sept (10weeks) I tested positive for HSV1 (igg= 4.5) negative for HSV2 .  8 years earlier I tested negative for both HSV1 and 2.  

I have had no typical outbreaks and during August to December I saw 6 different Drs (2 urgent care Drs, my primary care, 2 dermatologists and a urologust). a total of 22 times and never did their examinations identify anything they felt was herpetic (or realy anything they saw on my penis).  Or on average one a week.  

However during this time I had erythema (redness/swelling) on my penis just in an area where the foreskin would be (but I am circumcised).  This also felt like burning sensation constantly for months.  I also have burning feeling on my thighs (mostly the front of my thighs, but also some on my butt cheeks). Still till this day   Tight clothing really makes the thigh burning worse  

I don’t know where my hsv1 is without ever having blisters   Also sounds like having constant sensations for 8 months would be unlikely to be hsv (or at least only hsv).  

I am assuming some of it is damage I did to my own sensitive area.  I tried keeping lotions and creams on my penis to keep it from being dry.  Tried numerous antifungals (powders and creams).  Tried steroids creams (under dermatologist recommendation).  Tried homeopathic things like aloe, calamine, propolis ointment as well.  

Before most of the burning started I was treated for ghonrhea and Chlamydia with two different strong antibiotics (one via a shot in my butt).  Turns out those tests came back negative.  Also at the same time I was given antifungal tablets.  This might have totally messed up my normal system causing some of these issues.  

I have done basically nothing since January other than use an antifungal shampoo every few days.  Things are way better but still have warm sensations on my boxer shorts area (primarily thighs and butt).  

Penis is almost to the point where I don't feel it (which is huge considering I felt it constantly for so long.  

Not sure this helps you.  But wanted to give you my background.  How I am sure some was anxiety or over treatment on my part.  Still can't say that I don't have H.  If I do, it's very mild in terms that I haven't had any major sores or anything.  

Still hoping for the best hut coming to Grips with the fact that even if it is I may be on the lucky side with minor symptoms.  

Our stories sound extremely similar, I also have redness in small spots in foreskin that occasionally burn (not as much anymore) and was treated for chlamydia too. My symptoms are honestly not bad at all, urine passes over the red area sometimes and that doesn't even hurt, so there's definitely no open sores. I'm most concerned about how contagious I am (if I have this at all). I'll probably go in for a 2 month mark blood test just for peace of mind. The weird thing is I had a genital HSV-1 scare that was very suspicious given timing to oral sex with someone who I later found out had a cold sore, doctor wrote it off but I was thinking maybe chlamydia allowed preexisting HSV-1 to emerge albeit with minor symptoms. I guess we'll see in the upcoming blood test because I've heard IgG misses about 30% of HSV-1 positive results.

Scooby2112

Yes that is a statistic o have seen as well on HSV1.  

I have also seen statements that an HSV1 genital initial infection is more likely to show in a full outbreak as it is the first herpes virus you have.  Versus genital HSV2 where you may have an oral HSV1 infection whihinimizes the outbreak.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• Lucy29
      By Lucy29
      Hi guys 
      I’m really confused about what is going on at the moment. I contracted HSV2 11 years ago was outbreak free for 7 years then started getting OBS but very mild around my period I was in a relationship so I went on suppression it will be two years on suppression in May 2019. 
      For I wound say the last year I have had near  constant shooting pains down my legs/ feet  sometimes in other areas of my body like hands Arms  spine soemtimes and around my buttocks I soemtimes even feel it in random places like my head etc. I also get a very itchy and swollen labia minoria soemtimes and just a burning feeling down below. It feels like something is there but when I look and with a light I can see notning. This is usually  worse at night I’ll wake up in the morning and it will be gone but through the day it will start again especially from friction of walking etc. 
      I was on acyclovir but I changed to vacyclovir to see if it made a difference the first week I thought it did but this sensations are now back again. I’ve upped my dose and still the symptoms remain I also take olive leaf and lysine. I have no visible  sores at all and I’ve not had a single sore since starting suppression apart from a very mild one  when I was very stressed and pregnant  and ran out of tablets. 
      My doctor at the GUM clinic ( sexual health clinic in UK)  thinks this is not herpes related she said if the sores have stopped then the meds  are  working and this could be another skin condition down below.  But I have leg pains itching and burning which to me is all symptoms of HSV. 
      I have thought to myself herpes doesn’t behave like that and doesn’t come at night then go away in the morning then back at night but I don’t see what else this could be.  
      When I had blisters I never got nerve pain I had the usual tingling in vagina when you just know one is coming I don’t have this anymore since being on suppression. 
      I honestly would rather have mild OBS every few weeks that last a few days  than these constant symptoms. I feel contagious 24 7 and I wound even risk having  sex. 

Does anyone know  what this can be ? Is it  Hsv ? If it’s stopped   my blisters wouldn’t it stop symptoms all together ? 

Thanks 

• Gems
      By Gems
      I haven't check out all of this site; however I cannot see how reducing stigma over herpes infection should involve denial. It states on their website people shouldn't be scared for rare circumstances but fails to admit that this virus can be transmitted via objects in some circumstances.

https://herpes.org.uk/towels-not-problem/

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE A LESS THAN USUAL EXPERIENCE LET THESE PEOPLE KNOW THEY DO NOT REPRESENT YOU. 

MOST PROFESSIONALS DOESN'T MEAN ALL.
    • Henson8675309
      By Henson8675309
      Had unprotected sex aug 14, got std tested results came back positive for chlamydia I then got medication which gave me positive results for bacterial vaginosis. Told tdoctor my symptoms and after taking a swab of my cervix during a wellness exam she told me nothing looking out of the ordinary. Fast forward to now, I'm still getting itches and stings from time to time in my vagina and for about a month now I have been having back main mostly lower back pain arm aches leg aches feet aches hip aches and pelvic aches. (Could this be prodrome?) During this time I have had a big bump that looked somewhat like a cyst that just went down on its own and peeled a bit but never popped. For a while my Anus was always itchy but that subsided once I forced myself to stop scratching. I have had bumps or pimples on thighs and the bottom of my butt cheek that also never popped and just went away on its own (assumed pimples or razor bumps) Haven't had any swelling in the lymph nodes though. Sometime last week my clit had a tiny pain I say tiny bc I barely even noticed it, but there was small pain while I peed and a day later I look in the mirror and notice redness around it. Didn't hurt or itch when I touched it.  I'm On my period now and so far as of today I haven't had any lower back pain. Now idk if all of these symptoms have come from my worrying, as I have been having anxiety about herpes since the unprotected sex in august, but it's driving me crazy I look in a 5x mirror everyday noticing every little bump freaking out wondering if it could be herpes and then when it goes away I feel a bit better just to find something else the next day. but when describing these bumps to the doctor she says they're more than likely razor bumps or pimples and to go back once and if they ever ooze and I haven't been back bc like I said they never popped nothing ever oozed out of the bumps I seen. Today while checking in the mirror I noticed some red or flesh colored bumps I'd wet much appreciate if someone looked at them for me ! Please give me some type of feedback I am praying on this ! The first thre pictures are from today the 4th pic was about two days ago.
      https://m.imgur.com/SAV1s00
      https://m.imgur.com/GbIj2WU
      https://m.imgur.com/qWvuvNE
      https://m.imgur.com/sBX0nlw 
      area at the op of my vagina two days ago (1st pic) and now (2nd pic)
      https://m.imgur.com/gBWR9N5
      https://m.imgur.com/7fxl90Z
      @WilsoInAus please offer feedback!! Thank you so much 
    • Fernholly
      By Fernholly
      A few weeks ago I thought I felt a yeast infection coming on. It made sense because I had a throat infection ( which appeared to be strep but tested but negative — could this be related?) a few weeks prior and started but didn’t finish amoxicillin since the strep came back negative. So I was in a ton of pain, 3 days of Monistat and nothing, so I call my primary care to get something and she says “could it be herpes?” I said no way, there are no bumps, just discharge, and itching, pain around the clitoris, plus I’m just thinking of how long I’ve been with my BF. So she prescribed me something and I hope to get better. The next day I felt a small sore on my lip near my anus, and had my boyfriend check it out. He said it just looked like a little cut but my heart sank because I remembered the doctor suggested herpes. I scheduled an apt with my OBGYN. By this time I had multiple small sores and she told me I had herpes. She swabbed the sores around my clitoris that had been causing me so much pain, it felt like sandpaper and I just cried and cried and wanted to die. I told her I had been with my boyfriend for 3 years, it didn’t make any sense. He never had visible cold sores anywhere. I was worried he cheated on me. She explained the shedding and suggested he likely passed it on during oral sex if he’s had cold sores in the past. My test came back positive for HSV1 a few days later. Its been almost a week since I’ve had any visible sores but I’m still in shock. I can’t enotionally process this still. My boyfriend acts like since it’s “only HSV1” I won’t have many OB’s and that I’m lucky. I’ve been having lots of nerve pain even after the sores have cleared up, I worry it will bother me not only during OBs but all the time, just not as intensely. But I can’t help but still be angry that he gave this to me, and never even bothered to tell me he had cold sores in the past. I never imagined this happening to me because I thought I found my person forever and would never have to worry about catching an sti. I’m just so concerned since stress is a major trigger and I am going to medical school next year, so I will have many many years of stress ahead and I’m not quite sure I can balance the stress, and the pain and emotional toll of an OB. Can anyone with gHSV1 talk to me? I’m feeling pretty alone. 
    • emz
      By emz
      Hi All,
      New here and was recently diagnosed with ghsv-1 six weeks ago. 
      Sort of coping, good days and bad days as expected and going through the motions as everyone does. 
      Did anyone experience health anxiety when they got the news? I'm barely sleeping knowing that my body can't fight this off and worrying that I will catch an additional or more serious illness in the future I'm getting the oddest sensations all over my body too and the anxiety makes it worse. 
      I caught this with low chances (with a condom and the guy was on suppressive meds) so I guess I'm feeling 'unlucky' in that sense. 
      If you guys have any thoughts, suggestions or experiences I'd be grateful to hear  
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • joescrilla
      More confusion! So the results have come back for both of the partners that I've been with over the last 3-4 years and they are both negative for type 1 and type 2. Where do I go next? Any advice?
    • Gems
      please look through the forum in exact and careful detail and inform yourself of less than usual circumstances to cover yourself.

auto inoculation is rare and it can happen. off objects is debated but some people claim it happens. some people have experienced it happens easily.

so you know practice good hygiene. i personal think use a heated towel rail and make sure your towels are fully hot and dry. there were studies in the 80's showing it can live on towels for 75 hours. The herpes association say most experts agree it cannot be caught off a towel. That is most experts not all. Some people end up with it on their body and one has to wonder how? Towels I would guess.

Things that tend to stay kinda wet or so on. cups are another one that fit that i think.

I remember being at university once and being in the bathroom while a girl was on the phone to her friend.She thought she had a bite on her face but clear to me someone with herpes had kissed her on the cheek recently, it didnt look typical just her skin peeling. 

I am not an expert though or a doctor so do your own research.  

• Phoenixx
      Update: The creme that contains the tetrapodal zinc oxide still isn't available at Gorch Fock Apotheke Kiel. I called them today: same status as last year and they have no further information on when and if it will be available again.
    • Phoenixx
      Lilian, the zinc acetate we are talking about here is different from the tetrapodal zinc oxide that you are mentioning. But thanks for the reminder. The ointment that contains the tetrapodal zinc oxide still isn't available at Gorch Fock Apotheke Kiel. I called them today: same status as last year and they have no further information on when and if it will be available again.
    • Gems
      I've had neg swabs but I am sure you'll get it. Follow the process. I haven't read the thread in exact detail, but if you have documentation of doctors mishandling your case when you get/ if you get a poss inform them in writing as well as the medical board I think.  Under diagnosis is as problematic as false pos and reducing transmission is good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.