World's Largest Herpes Support Group
confusedpremed

Prodrome Symptoms

confusedpremed

Hi all, 

I was curious as to what you all get in terms of a prodrome prior to an OB? Mine is always a pinching pain in one spot on the glans penis, but weirdly I've never had an OB on the spot. Anyone have a similar experience?

Cat_Glam18

For me it has always been itching at the site where the sore is going to pop out ( insane itching )I have never experienced any other symptoms other than this!

Scooby2112

When you say pinching is it below the skin? Or on the surface?   

Do you  get outbreaks after the pinching? Just in a different or nearby location?

or do you not get outbreaks after that sensation?   

You can get sensations away from the outbreak location due to refered sensations on the same nerve pathway.  

I think most people have different sensations and could be impacted by many things including whether takin AVs., how long they have had the virus, and virus type/location.  

I also hear pinching or burning are common.  

confusedpremed
1 hour ago, Scooby2112 said:

When you say pinching is it below the skin? Or on the surface?   

Do you  get outbreaks after the pinching? Just in a different or nearby location?

or do you not get outbreaks after that sensation?   

You can get sensations away from the outbreak location due to refered sensations on the same nerve pathway.  

I think most people have different sensations and could be impacted by many things including whether takin AVs., how long they have had the virus, and virus type/location.  

I also hear pinching or burning are common.  

Scooby, it's always on the surface. Truthfully, I've never had a full OB and I don't know if I'm HSV-2 positive yet. I get transient redness and once inflammation but no visible papules that rupture. A 3-day course of Valtrex didn't really do anything to the inflammation but I'm treating with antifungals. Been to a few doctors and came back negative on IgG ~4 weeks out for HSV1 and 2. No where near my college campus does pCR swab so I'm kinda in limbo until I can get the 3 month confirmation IgG

Scooby2112

Hey confused.  

I am in a somewhat similar position.  I had an oral sex encounter that I regretted back in July of 2017.  

In Sept (10weeks) I tested positive for HSV1 (igg= 4.5) negative for HSV2 .  8 years earlier I tested negative for both HSV1 and 2.  

I have had no typical outbreaks and during August to December I saw 6 different Drs (2 urgent care Drs, my primary care, 2 dermatologists and a urologust). a total of 22 times and never did their examinations identify anything they felt was herpetic (or realy anything they saw on my penis).  Or on average one a week.  

However during this time I had erythema (redness/swelling) on my penis just in an area where the foreskin would be (but I am circumcised).  This also felt like burning sensation constantly for months.  I also have burning feeling on my thighs (mostly the front of my thighs, but also some on my butt cheeks). Still till this day   Tight clothing really makes the thigh burning worse  

I don’t know where my hsv1 is without ever having blisters   Also sounds like having constant sensations for 8 months would be unlikely to be hsv (or at least only hsv).  

I am assuming some of it is damage I did to my own sensitive area.  I tried keeping lotions and creams on my penis to keep it from being dry.  Tried numerous antifungals (powders and creams).  Tried steroids creams (under dermatologist recommendation).  Tried homeopathic things like aloe, calamine, propolis ointment as well.  

Before most of the burning started I was treated for ghonrhea and Chlamydia with two different strong antibiotics (one via a shot in my butt).  Turns out those tests came back negative.  Also at the same time I was given antifungal tablets.  This might have totally messed up my normal system causing some of these issues.  

I have done basically nothing since January other than use an antifungal shampoo every few days.  Things are way better but still have warm sensations on my boxer shorts area (primarily thighs and butt).  

Penis is almost to the point where I don't feel it (which is huge considering I felt it constantly for so long.  

Not sure this helps you.  But wanted to give you my background.  How I am sure some was anxiety or over treatment on my part.  Still can't say that I don't have H.  If I do, it's very mild in terms that I haven't had any major sores or anything.  

Still hoping for the best hut coming to Grips with the fact that even if it is I may be on the lucky side with minor symptoms.  

confusedpremed
1 hour ago, Scooby2112 said:

Hey confused.  

I am in a somewhat similar position.  I had an oral sex encounter that I regretted back in July of 2017.  

In Sept (10weeks) I tested positive for HSV1 (igg= 4.5) negative for HSV2 .  8 years earlier I tested negative for both HSV1 and 2.  

I have had no typical outbreaks and during August to December I saw 6 different Drs (2 urgent care Drs, my primary care, 2 dermatologists and a urologust). a total of 22 times and never did their examinations identify anything they felt was herpetic (or realy anything they saw on my penis).  Or on average one a week.  

However during this time I had erythema (redness/swelling) on my penis just in an area where the foreskin would be (but I am circumcised).  This also felt like burning sensation constantly for months.  I also have burning feeling on my thighs (mostly the front of my thighs, but also some on my butt cheeks). Still till this day   Tight clothing really makes the thigh burning worse  

I don’t know where my hsv1 is without ever having blisters   Also sounds like having constant sensations for 8 months would be unlikely to be hsv (or at least only hsv).  

I am assuming some of it is damage I did to my own sensitive area.  I tried keeping lotions and creams on my penis to keep it from being dry.  Tried numerous antifungals (powders and creams).  Tried steroids creams (under dermatologist recommendation).  Tried homeopathic things like aloe, calamine, propolis ointment as well.  

Before most of the burning started I was treated for ghonrhea and Chlamydia with two different strong antibiotics (one via a shot in my butt).  Turns out those tests came back negative.  Also at the same time I was given antifungal tablets.  This might have totally messed up my normal system causing some of these issues.  

I have done basically nothing since January other than use an antifungal shampoo every few days.  Things are way better but still have warm sensations on my boxer shorts area (primarily thighs and butt).  

Penis is almost to the point where I don't feel it (which is huge considering I felt it constantly for so long.  

Not sure this helps you.  But wanted to give you my background.  How I am sure some was anxiety or over treatment on my part.  Still can't say that I don't have H.  If I do, it's very mild in terms that I haven't had any major sores or anything.  

Still hoping for the best hut coming to Grips with the fact that even if it is I may be on the lucky side with minor symptoms.  

Our stories sound extremely similar, I also have redness in small spots in foreskin that occasionally burn (not as much anymore) and was treated for chlamydia too. My symptoms are honestly not bad at all, urine passes over the red area sometimes and that doesn't even hurt, so there's definitely no open sores. I'm most concerned about how contagious I am (if I have this at all). I'll probably go in for a 2 month mark blood test just for peace of mind. The weird thing is I had a genital HSV-1 scare that was very suspicious given timing to oral sex with someone who I later found out had a cold sore, doctor wrote it off but I was thinking maybe chlamydia allowed preexisting HSV-1 to emerge albeit with minor symptoms. I guess we'll see in the upcoming blood test because I've heard IgG misses about 30% of HSV-1 positive results.

Scooby2112

Yes that is a statistic o have seen as well on HSV1.  

I have also seen statements that an HSV1 genital initial infection is more likely to show in a full outbreak as it is the first herpes virus you have.  Versus genital HSV2 where you may have an oral HSV1 infection whihinimizes the outbreak.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• rishikesh
      By rishikesh
      I have inflammation on glans of penis near intersection of foreskin and and glans are no itching and no pain while urinating got  Hbs,hcv, vdrl,hiv which all are negative can you please help me
    • HereAndNowLater
      By HereAndNowLater
      Hello world!
      I had my first HSV2 outbreak 8 years ago. 
      The first one is the worst -- the actual outbreak hurts like hell. The outbreak itself was very tiny and localized in a small genital area. However It came with side effects I didn't expect like an acute and intense tingling sensation in my lower back, buttocks, and spread down to my feet/toes. 
      Fast forward years. 
      I rarely get actual outbreaks if ever. 
      But I do experience that intense nerve pain I remember that comes before an outbreak manifests as a skin lesion.
      So now the outbreaks don't happen, but the prodrome pre-tingles happen often. Except now those piercing sharp tingles aren't just perceptible in the aforementioned areas. I feel it all over my body intermittently - neck, shoulders, arm, yes leg and lower back, foot, etc..
      To emphasize, I never experienced any chronic pain remotely similar to "herpes tingles" pre- first HSV 2 outbreak. 
      Several Questions:
      Does this pain sound familiar to you? Has it migrated outside of where it was when you first had an outbreak? When I bring this up to multiple doctors, I'm baffled that they have no idea what I'm talking about. Or don't see the connection between the nerve(?) /lymph node (?) pain / neuralgia/ paresthesia and HSV.  Every time I see a "Lyrica" commercial for fibromyalgia I think to myself, "well this is fucking it. this is what I'm feeling/experiencing in my body." Is there a link between fibromyalgia and herpes? I wonder how many patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia have either HSV 1/ HSV 2/ shingles/ varicella-zoster viruses or something related? It seems to me there is a there there. But I also feel I'm being gas lit by the world and that in general researchers / HCPs are too "embarrassed" to even commit to research around the "not talked about" symptoms of HSV; or even HSV in general.  How can herpes be so "common" and yet not a single medical professional is conversant in the totality of the disease or specializing in it? >_< Not related, but where can I purchase acyclovir cream? That stuff is like contraband in the USA lol.  ugh this country sucks in this arena. 
    • helpme12345
      By helpme12345
      Hello everyone, 
      I am curious to know what is going on with me. I tested positive for hsv1 about a year ago when i went in for a std check just cuz i was curious, which is no big deal. My docs and I believe it to be oral and i dont think my body is that amazing at suppressing this either if i did have it in the genitals since im also a chain smoker (my immune system sucks), and when i was a kid i remember having sores in my mouth that burned and stung like crazy. Also my family gets cold sores every once in a while. But something odd happened and im just curious. my gf and i are doing long distance. she came to visit me for a week in aug where we basically had sex everyday, twice a day. oral, vaginal and anal, all unprotected. Please dont try to convince me that my gf is also cheating. 

Anyways, a little after she left back in august i switched to E-ciggs and have been smoking that a lot to the point where i had cotton mouth and dehydration. When i pee in the morning it would hurt a bit, nothing crazy, mostly since pee is concentrated in the morning. A week later while playing computer games, it was really hot and humid and i had an itch on my scrotum. I guess i was really frustrated i lost the game so i took it out on my itch by pulling the skin through my boxers and i was left with an abrasion that my doctor took a look at the very next day. My doctor told me it was a simple abrasion and if more pop up or doesnt heal within a few days then come back. well, in about 2 to 3 days it healed up with no scab. 

After two weeks and still having some burning urination, i still masturbated thinking it was nothing. While masturbating I guess i didnt want to finish and i squeezed my penis while it was on the verge of ejaculating and my cum went up and down and then i shot. It left this throbbing feeling in my urethra, and again thought nothing of it and went to sleep. The next day my urethra was super itchy, it was for a few days until i had white discharge. Got seen by a urologist and my test came out as negative, nothing and said it was NGU. 

I asked my gf to take an std test and she did. She was positive for HSV 1 IGG and also had BV ( common in women), ureaplasma urealyticum, and mycoplasma hominis. I found out through some research and my urologist that it can  cause ngu and rarely/uncommon for ngu to be caused by herpes and i dont think it was in my urethra otherwise i would be in extreme pain. I also had Ureaplasma U back when i was in Korea and took two weeks of doxcy. my urologist gave me 7 days of doxy, while taking the doxcy it took about four to five days for my symptoms to clear up, but i still had some burning urination. I also still dry masturbated and felt some friction burns under the helmet of my penis next and thought nothing of it and took a shower. I used this exfoliating soap by dove that contained micro beads( at the time i didnt know), lathered it in my hands and washed my penis with it, which afterwards my penis helmet was pink and had some bumps and a cool burning sensation. This was gone the next day after flushing it with cold water. But stupid me i kept masturbating and it really irritated my penis. I feel like the soap stripped my penis of its natural oils and dried out my skin. But somehow i didnt feel like the doctors were helping me. So after a full blood test for HIV, HSV 1 & 2 IGG, hep B, C, and syphilis, all negative except hsv 1, after 6 weeks. and seeing 5 general doctors, PCP, and 2 urologists that tell me im fine and its friction burn and burst blood vessels under the helmet of my penis, which are called petechiae( not too sure), im going nuts. Im hyper aware of every little movement thats going on down there and its driving me crazy. Also i used this lube from tenga (sex toy company) and a fleshlight so i dont dry masturbate and it seemed to have made it worse. does any of this or these symptoms say i have ghsv1? I do have some burning every now and then and some pee that hurts every now and then, (still didnt give my penis a break from masturbating btw) but i dont know if this is all in my head or just something else. My doctor and a friend who has hsv tell me you would definitely know if you have it in your urethra and herpes arent going to stay teeny tiny there going to swell and cluster. I also am fully aware of some of the symptoms hsv cuz of a scare that happened a few years ago and i did some crazy research and went to about 12 different doctors, which ended with i just tore some skin off my penis while pulling off the condom. Could these broken blood vessels be the cause of my burning sensation near the tip of my urethra or under the glans? does herpes have pain for a few hrs and no pain for a few hrs?  cant seem to pin point where the actual pain is coming from. Is this contact dermatitis or allergic? also the glans of my penis seem to be pretty red, or from what i see but my doctors say im fine. please help me, its driving me insane.    just to add, i didnt have flu symptoms, no initial out break ever or so i recall, maybe a pimple or two in my pubic hair area, which actually looked like a pimple and went away in a week. i was cold but not to the point where i was shivering, i guess its due to my anxiety and stress and i check my penis like every day or so, did have back pain in my buttocks and behind my knee, but i sit in this cross leg position dont want to be sexist but how usually women sit with there legs crossed, for hrs. also no blisters or sores other than that one abrasion which healed up and never came back and broken blood vessels that look like red dots examined by the doctor, i mean its tiny tiny purple dots. Sorry, one more thing i also did a urethra swab but apparently the doctor who did it, said it was the wrong one after a few days, but by then i didnt have symptoms since the doxcy cleared it up. that urethra swab was extremely painful and pee that came afterwards was nothing ive felt before. it was worse than breaking your collar bone.  Male in my late 20s.  
      thanks guys!
    • Snjt
      By Snjt
      I'm freaking out, I must be such a horrible person. It was a little over a year since I've be in any kind of relationship or had sex. Recently, things got heated with a guy and I. For various reason I solely wanted a physical affair. But now I feel like I made yet another mistake. We did not have intercourse because we didnt have condoms. We did fool around and he gave me oral sex. I'm freaking out because I have HSV2. I'm scared with him giving my oral sex I've passed the virus on to him. We havent spoken since that night which is another reason why I'm so distraught over this. Any thoughts? Please, also, dont judge me. I have yet to come to terms with myself in telling ANYONE that I live with this virus. I dont know how I'll ever have a regular relationship or fall in love. I just need a little light shed, if any.. 
    • MisterJay
      By MisterJay
      Every time I have sex, the foreskin of my penis swells.  It looks like a donut around the head, and I’m circumcised.  Tonight, I noticed red splotches that weren’t there earlier today.  They are one the shaft, but most have appeared on my scrotum.  I know I need to get tested anyway, but i’ve Been trying to self diagnose and it’s driving me crazy.  Somethings say it’s balantis.. but that could just be a yeast infection.. but can also be caused by herpes.. the spots haven’t formed into blisters, but they literally appeared out of nowhere.  A few weeks ago, I had experienced a rather intense irritation of the head and foreskin, and that’s when the swelling started.. the glans was extremely sensitive, there was major swelling and redness, and a few raised bumps.. but nothing that popped or leaked fluid.  Also inside the glans looked white, like dead skin cells.. but there was no discharge, but did effect the stream of urine and made it hard and painful to pee.  All those symptoms are now gone.. with the exception of the swelling.  And the red spots are new.

• Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Burty
      Coming back to report that after vaccinations in May and July, today I have one vesicle. Called the doctor and will report back later. Slightly pessimistic at this point. 
    • Cariad
      I think I need to treat this as an ocd thought (that I've got herpes) and not check myself compulsively, not seek constant reassurance from doctors and the internet, just try and forget about it. Re disclosure, I would tell future partners that i could have hsv but I don't know, all the visual examinations and tests I've had have come back negative but there's still a possibility that i have herpes. Then they can decide whether to take the risk. I always assume someone is positive for everything unless there are tests to prove otherwise. I don't do casual relationships so always get a full sexual health screening with my new partner so we can both be safe. But they could have herpes and not know as it's not routinely checked for. It's a risk for all parties involved. I spoke to herpes.org.uk helpline and Marion told me that blood tests are routinely bringing up false positives/negatives and that having the virus doesn't predict when and where you're going to have an ob. I therefore wouldn't trust the result of the test and would be repeatedly getting tested, as I did when my hiv ocd was really bad. That was a hugely stressful and anxious time and I don't want to go through that again!! Especially for a virus that can't kill you!! So I think I'm going to have to live with the uncertainty of having herpes obs and avoid sexual contact whenever I feel sore down below if/when I'm in a relationship.  Being on this forum is just exacerbating my Ocd, so I think that I should stop posting as it's reassurance-seeking. Wishing you all the best and thank you all for your help, advice and support. Remember - it's just a virus that billions of people have and doesn't make us dirty or unworthy of love or a good life. Stay safe and well xx
    • WilsoInAus
      And I’ll help you up until the second coming. I think this is an unhealthy dose of imaginitis as far as herpes is concerned. Wouldn’t you agree?
    • WilsoInAus
      Yes man that’s correct. I mean we don’t really want more people in the delusional room with mirrors that see nothing, do we?
    • WilsoInAus
      There’s nothing visually or in what you describe that is suggestive of herpes. See your doctor if you have concerns, there’s plenty of things on the list of possibilities here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.