World's Largest Herpes Support Group
MessedUpBadly

Is there a known waxing and waning period?

MessedUpBadly

Do we know the way the virus works with regards to it's schedule of waxing and waning in outbreaks? is there generally a longer dormancy period after the first outbreak?

Like i just had my first painful genital outbreak mid February that lasted for ~2 weeks. Is there a usual pattern of dormancy of let's say a week or two? 

Scooby2112

Depends on the virus type to a degree.  For HSV2 which is likely to recur the most, In the first 6 months it is the most unpredictable.  After a year a more normal pattern is likely to present with periods of a month or more with no symptoms.  

During that initial period you may have outbreaks "back to back" and frequently.  

Suppressive AVs will help shorten the duration and frequency.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Alwayssmile_
      By Alwayssmile_
      Hi 
      I'm losing more hair than usual and not on any suppressive meds. 
      Was wondering if anyone else experienced this hsv2 diagnosis or even hsv1 diagnoses 
      If so how did you solve the problem? 
      Thank you. 
    • Sara5222
      By Sara5222
      I just being diagnosed with hsv-1 (oral) and experience my first outbreak. What worry me is that i am on my early stage of pregnancy, is there any risk i transmit the virus to my baby in the uterus? Since I never had any outbreak before and this is the 1st time I've been tested positive with hsv-1. Anyone could help me deal with this, Im so worry, I really want to make sure my baby is delivered safe and healthy
    • EffieG
      By EffieG
      Approximately 5 years ago a  girl gave me a peck on the lips, I wiped my lips off.
      The next morning I woke up with a painful rash all over my top lip that dried up and resulted in chapped lips, where the skin died and regenerated. No pus or obvious cold sore.
      I have had this same outbreak approximately once a year in the same place except for this year where I have had it almost continuously, I have been very stressed.
      I went to the doctor who says it isn't cold sores (I have to wait 2 weeks for a blood test), however I have found someone ( To those with oral HSV2 only by Penumbra,)  who tested positive for HSV2 by blood test with my EXACT symptoms.
      Before an outbreak, my lip/nose area is tingling a lot and I feel a strong twitching in my lip.
      Is it possible that I have mild cold sores?
      I would greatly appreciate any help
    • Mapa
      By Mapa
      This is my second outbreak in more than four years apart from the first. Or at least that the symptoms are noticeable enough. The first time I was prescribed acyclovir but this time I was prescribed valacyclovir (generic for valtrex). I'm on my third pill and just developed a mild reddish rash not itchy in my forearms. Has anyone experienced something like this?
    • mcf1971
      By mcf1971
      if  i have genital AND hvs2 and I  am  at  the tail of a very small outbreak, can I make someone who already has genital hsv2 have an outbreak  too? 
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Rockster
      Thanks Wilson! [mistaken posti don't get how i can delete it again, sorry]
    • Rockster
      (For my case: i am not diagnosed herpes. I had genital warts. 
      I can tell her a sex partner was diagnosed with HPV, and i pretty surely have it and that's why i do it with boxer short the next months. Hm.)   https://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/herpes-opportunity-disclosure-handout.pdf https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes-detailed.htm
    • IloveCoco
      How long after diagnosis did you start to have sex again? How did he get it on the lips?
    • Albert1988
      Hi,  I was wondering if you could describe your outbreaks or how much time it passed before you where correctly diagnosed. Or your overall experience. I am freaking out and just wearing my underwear feels uncomfortable.  How did they diagnosed you? Thank you in advanced 
    • Voyager2
      I THINK this will benefit us. If the FDA allows more aggressive research in the deadliest virus programs, such as HIV gene editing, then off-targeting and other safety issues might already be solved before Dr. Jerome  starts editing hsv in humans.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.