World's Largest Herpes Support Group
MessedUpBadly

Is there a known waxing and waning period?

MessedUpBadly

Do we know the way the virus works with regards to it's schedule of waxing and waning in outbreaks? is there generally a longer dormancy period after the first outbreak?

Like i just had my first painful genital outbreak mid February that lasted for ~2 weeks. Is there a usual pattern of dormancy of let's say a week or two? 

Scooby2112

Depends on the virus type to a degree.  For HSV2 which is likely to recur the most, In the first 6 months it is the most unpredictable.  After a year a more normal pattern is likely to present with periods of a month or more with no symptoms.  

During that initial period you may have outbreaks "back to back" and frequently.  

Suppressive AVs will help shorten the duration and frequency.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• Similar Content

• Mapa
      By Mapa
      This is my second outbreak in more than four years apart from the first. Or at least that the symptoms are noticeable enough. The first time I was prescribed acyclovir but this time I was prescribed valacyclovir (generic for valtrex). I'm on my third pill and just developed a mild reddish rash not itchy in my forearms. Has anyone experienced something like this?
    • mcf1971
      By mcf1971
      if  i have genital AND hvs2 and I  am  at  the tail of a very small outbreak, can I make someone who already has genital hsv2 have an outbreak  too? 
    • NotOK2018
      By NotOK2018
      To give a summary:
      My last sexual encounter besides my current girlfriend of a few months was at Christmas (unprotected oral and genital) with a female.
      In May I had for the first time a flare up in my genital area (penis on the side and at the base and on scrotum), where the skin was itchy and red and my penis was sore with a singular tiny red spot on the shaft . These symptoms lasted 4 weeks at which time I tried using cream and tablets for thrush as that was what my GP thought it was which didnt work. I showed pictures to a lady at the gum glinic after I managed to get an appointment as at that point my symptoms had gone, she said she didnt think it was anything to worry about and I tested negative for all stds (excluding herpes which at the time I didn't know they dont test for unless syptoms are present).
      I thought it was nothing to worry about then and since forgot about it. I however have had the same symptoms come back again on Sunday night with a single red spot on my penis shaft which went away after a few days but my penis still feels somewhat sore and the skin around the side of my penis itches and on my scrotum. I have no lesions or sores that have burst open or have any liquid in and have never had a coldsore in my life, I am worried this is non typical symptoms of a herpes infection and bought over the counter aciclovir cream and tablets from an online chemist to try and treat it myself until I can get another appointment at the gum clinic.
      I now have a girlfriend who has never had any symptoms of anything at all and I am worried and scared I may have given her the infection if it is herpes due to the fact we have sex without the use of condoms.
      1. Does this sound like it could be symptomatic of herpes? 2. Is this likely based on the fact the same syptoms have re-occured or could it be something else?
      (Apologies I cannot upload the photos as they are too large for the limit on this website)
      Thank you.

• IamPositive
      By IamPositive
      Read so many herpster recommend this natural supplement for herpes. Tried it for 3 days, then suddenly I’ve got major outbreak.. thigh.. buttocks.. labia..perineum... it’s everywhere,.. Normally my outbreak were always mild/ 1/2 blisters at the same location.. now it’s  spreading all over below my waist part.  oh God.. I wanna commit suicide right now..,
    • WildernessWoman88
      By WildernessWoman88
      Hey everyone!
      I've seen a various posts across various forums regarding disclosing (or not) and have seen a bit of a trend in people thinking that it's 'hard to pass' with one encounter (lol) condoms make it impossible to pass, blah blah blah. So let's just try to compile some short & sweet answers to some basic H transmissions stories and questions...Could be helpful in many ways to lots of people!
      1. Did your giver: show symptoms / asymptomatic / disclose H to you? 
      2. Protected or unprotected? Oral/vaginal/anal? 
      3. How many encountrs with giver? (time frame of encounters ie. one weekend of several months?) 
      4. How were you diagnosed? (swab or blood test)
      5. Are you a symptomatic carrier (showed signs ie. outbreak) or asymptomatic (never showed signs, diagnosed by blood work) 
      6. How long from sexual exposure did you start to show symptoms? 
      7. How long did your primary outbreak last? How frequent have your recurrences been? (ie. one a month/year?) 
      8. How long have you been H+? 
      9. Are you on antivirals only during outbreak or suppressive therapy? Or have you gone the natural route? 
      10. Words or wisdom/support for newbies? 
      I'll go first... 
      1. No visible signs of H. Asymptomatic carrier not diagnosed with at the time so no disclosure. 
      2. Unprotected vaginal/oral. 
      3. 2x in a weekend (Friday night and Sunday morning) 
      4. Positive swab test during terrify primary outbreak. 
      5. Symptomatic HSV2+
      6. Friday/Sunday sex; initial first symptoms started Tuesday and quickly got aggressive. (in hospital by next Sunday) 
      7. OB lasted a few weeks. Cleared up, then I had a couple minor recurrences due to alcohol in following weeks but MINOR in comparison (just more annoying not excruciatingly painful) still working through this ATM. 
      8. I was infected Mar9/18 - diagnosed with Mar23/18.
      9. Antivirals during primary OB; lots of supplements and vitamins every day now and have changed my diet. 
      10. It does get better. Not back to normal better, but better. Take care of yourself and do whatever it needs for you to heal physically and emotionally. Find a good friend/family member/counsellor to confide in to help lessen the burden you are carrying. Get wine drunk with a friend and cry all night. Go to the top of a mountain and scream at the top of your lungs. Amazon shop till you max out your credit card buying things that make you happy. 
      Hope this can help some peope! 
      Love & light everyone! x
  • Trending Now

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Burty
      Coming back to report that after vaccinations in May and July, today I have one vesicle. Called the doctor and will report back later. Slightly pessimistic at this point. 
    • Cariad
      I think I need to treat this as an ocd thought (that I've got herpes) and not check myself compulsively, not seek constant reassurance from doctors and the internet, just try and forget about it. Re disclosure, I would tell future partners that i could have hsv but I don't know, all the visual examinations and tests I've had have come back negative but there's still a possibility that i have herpes. Then they can decide whether to take the risk. I always assume someone is positive for everything unless there are tests to prove otherwise. I don't do casual relationships so always get a full sexual health screening with my new partner so we can both be safe. But they could have herpes and not know as it's not routinely checked for. It's a risk for all parties involved. I spoke to herpes.org.uk helpline and Marion told me that blood tests are routinely bringing up false positives/negatives and that having the virus doesn't predict when and where you're going to have an ob. I therefore wouldn't trust the result of the test and would be repeatedly getting tested, as I did when my hiv ocd was really bad. That was a hugely stressful and anxious time and I don't want to go through that again!! Especially for a virus that can't kill you!! So I think I'm going to have to live with the uncertainty of having herpes obs and avoid sexual contact whenever I feel sore down below if/when I'm in a relationship.  Being on this forum is just exacerbating my Ocd, so I think that I should stop posting as it's reassurance-seeking. Wishing you all the best and thank you all for your help, advice and support. Remember - it's just a virus that billions of people have and doesn't make us dirty or unworthy of love or a good life. Stay safe and well xx
    • WilsoInAus
      And I’ll help you up until the second coming. I think this is an unhealthy dose of imaginitis as far as herpes is concerned. Wouldn’t you agree?
    • WilsoInAus
      Yes man that’s correct. I mean we don’t really want more people in the delusional room with mirrors that see nothing, do we?
    • WilsoInAus
      There’s nothing visually or in what you describe that is suggestive of herpes. See your doctor if you have concerns, there’s plenty of things on the list of possibilities here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.