World's Largest Herpes Support Group
ManOutOfMind

Confused by my symptoms... GHSV1? HSV-2? Nothing?

ManOutOfMind

I'm a 29 yr old male, otherwise healthy. Exactly 6 weeks ago I made a regretful mistake, and received unprotected oral sex from a stranger of unknown status. There was no genital to genital connection, only me receiving oral, and she was a worker.

Approximately a week and a half later, my urethra started to burn consistently. Just always, all the time. Not really a painful burn, just a constant warm discomforting feeling. It did not burn more during urination, and actually in some ways felt relieving to urinate.

At 2 weeks post encounter, I got a full panel of STD tests, everything came back negative EXCEPT for HSV-1 which showed 3.67 HSV-1 IgG. I would add that a little over 4 months earlier I tested negative for HSV-1/2 IgG.

Naturally I was freaked out and convinced that they were related, but other than the constant warm feeling in my urethra I had shown no other symptoms at all in those first 2 weeks. Doctors at the clinic did a digital rectal exam, said my prostate was enlarged/sensitive, gave me Bactrim and sent me on my way. Unconvinced, I went to a urologist who did another exam, agreed on the diagnosis, dismissed this as new herpes, and told me to continue my treatment. The burning started to subside a bit on bactrim but not completely, so I went back and they figured I had acute bacterial prostatitis and gave me doxycycline. The burning started to subside and is now almost completely gone. Though occasionally it creeps back up on me still, even today, depending on the position I'm laying in or sitting in.

Additionally I developed a few small bumps on my thigh, but they all had hair follicles in them, doctors said folliculitis which is not new to me, and told me if it was then it should clear in a day or so from antibiotics. Woke up the next morning and they were all gone.

During this entire period, I've also had itching and tingling in my groin and thighs that has lasted for the entire 6 weeks, but seems to subside with jock itch cream and powder, before sneaking up again the next day. I've also had pereneal pain and a red rash, no blisters, lesions,or sores present anywhere on my body in 6 weeks.

At this point, I still itch, I have pain and pinching in my thighs when sitting, and I have an urgent need to urinate whenever I lay down or sit for long periods. The urgency increases at night. I feel an occasional mild burning in the tip of my penis which comes and goes for the last few weeks, and still no visible signs of outbreak.

I took another IgG at 5 weeks, my hsv-1 was still basically the same, 3.7 now, still negative for 2.

I'm freaking out, trying to make sense of this. Has anyone experienced new herpes where the only symptoms are a swelling in the urethra, without blisters, prostatitis, and urinary urgency and frequency with small or zero urine coming out? Is it possible to turn positive on IgG tests after only 2 weeks? Or is it more likely that I got some other type of infection from this and that my HSV is older, possibly oral, contracted in the last 6 months? Please help me make sense of this

Quest

Maybe search the word urethra in the forum? Which I would warn you doesn't automatically mean herpes. This is normally bacterial, but I understand your fear. I think you have done everything correctly.

Keep your eyes peeled and you will do well and be well.

If it were me I would be ingesting and rubbing Black seed oil and taking probiotics like kimchi which is at Walfart for sixish dollars

FuriousNCurious

It does sound like prostatitis, especially the urge to pee. To my knowledge, a burning urethra can either be an infection or your body reacting/adjusting to another person's "flora" (our bodies have "ecosystems" that consist of many different types of bacteria both internal and external, and no two "ecosystems" are identical). If it's just a few days, it can happen, if it stretches too long then it does cause concern.

I had a Chlamydia infection lead to prostatitis over two years back - urges to pee were mere minutes apart at times, and I had mucle-pulling aches down the back of both my legs. It also affected my ability to ejaculate. You can keep tabs on the prostatitis by doing a PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) blood test at intervals of 2-4 weeks to monitor for improvement. Don't freak out over the numbers, even a mildly infected prostate would have values that sky-rocket! A common treatment is 2 weeks of Levofloxacin (I was given that and have heard it used most often for this), so that could be an option if the Doxycycline doesn't help.

About your HSV-1 readings, I'm no expert, but 2-weeks does sound way too quick for an IGG response. Was the test 4 months prior a type specific test? I think I've been reading how the non type specific tests aren't too accurate.

Edited by FuriousNCurious

WilsoInAus

The HSV-1 is almost certainly a childhood infection. You cannot test that high two weeks after infection!

This could also be genitally focussed anxiety. Do you have a partner who wouldn’t approve of the oral sex?

ManOutOfMind

I don't believe it is a childhood infection, as I was tested 5 years ago when my relationship started, and then again in November of last year when there was some issues in the relationship that caused concern. Both times my HSV-1 numbers were negative. However, my mother does get cold sores, and she did have one in early February and I kissed her for her birthday a few days before her breakout so it's entirely possible it's oral. It all just seems to terribly coincidental and I'm not sure how to explain it to my partner.

Yes there is a partner that I'd rather not tell about the oral, it was a drunk mistake during a very dark moment in our relationship and I can't bare the idea that a one night 15 minute mistake may have changed the course of my life forever. I'm scared and confused and been reading a lot of mixed information about HSV causing urethritis and/or prostititis and I'm just trying to figure out if my timelines match up. Is it possible for these symptoms to continue on for this long if they were herpes without getting an outbreak? I've also had lower back pain and what felt like kidney pain too but the doctor dismissed those as prostititis symptoms too. Had ultasounds and no kidney stones were found, as well as no issues in scrotum. I haven't ejaculated in nearly 2 months based on fear of pain

WannaCry

I'm about to be the bearer of bad news for you.

You absolutely can have false positives for HSV-1 on the IgG test. It is a well known issue that about 10% of people with known infections will have a 'negative' reading on the IgG when looking for HSV-1. I have a close friend who has had multiple negative IgG (including the HerpeSelect) and then had a 5.0 reading for HSV-1 and there was no new partner or indiscretions. It does happen.

The mentioning of the pain returning from certain postures of sitting and laying makes me think you may have a pinched nerve in the genital area. If the pain is easily recreatable (i.e. you sit a certain way and it always happens) it is very much not HSV.

ManOutOfMind

Sorry I'm not sure I completely understood what you meant. Are you saying that it's possible I've had HSV1 for a lot longer and gotten false negatives in my past? Wouldn't that be less likely considering my two most recent tests were both positives with very similar IgG numbers? I wouldn't say the pain is easily reproducible but it was definitely worse after my most recent prostate exam and seems to be exacerbated by sitting for long periods or driving long distances in the car on bumpy highways.

I know 2 weeks is a pretty short time for seroconversion but is it possible? Has anyone here known anyone to convert that quickly? I have no problem talking about the risk of me possibly having OHSV-1 but no clue how I could justify GHSV-1 without admitting to this horrific mistake

ManOutOfMind

Also want to mention I got a urethral swab, a swab of the folliculitis, and a swab of my pereneal rash and all 3 were negative. The urethra swab was done probably about a week after my symptoms appeared so not sure if I waited too long... And no burning during urination just mild irritation at all times. I've read online from Terri that herpetic urethritis hurts WHEN you urinate due to blisters in the urethra but my symptoms were exclusively warm/mild irritation at all times that actually felt fine during urination

ManOutOfMind

Update: just masturbated for the first time in a few months. The semen was slightly yellowish which I know can be a warning sign of genital herpes but it's said that this can also be a sign of prostititis and even a symptom of just not ejaculating in a while, I assume 6 weeks counts as a while.

No pain in my penis during or after, though I might have sensed a bit of irritation during, but very fleeting. However, after orgasm my lower back now hurts again. Any of that sound herpetic?

WannaCry
10 hours ago, ManOutOfMind said:

Sorry I'm not sure I completely understood what you meant. Are you saying that it's possible I've had HSV1 for a lot longer and gotten false negatives in my past? Wouldn't that be less likely considering my two most recent tests were both positives with very similar IgG numbers? I wouldn't say the pain is easily reproducible but it was definitely worse after my most recent prostate exam and seems to be exacerbated by sitting for long periods or driving long distances in the car on bumpy highways.

I know 2 weeks is a pretty short time for seroconversion but is it possible? Has anyone here known anyone to convert that quickly? I have no problem talking about the risk of me possibly having OHSV-1 but no clue how I could justify GHSV-1 without admitting to this horrific mistake

Yes, I am saying that you could of contracted HSV-1 as a child orally and had negative testing for it and not remember ever having an OB. This is almost identical to the friend's situation I mentioned. They cannot ever remember having an oral OB, and have never had a genital OB either but there was the test with a 5.0 after years of negative results.

Seroconversion that quick is a bit more of a grey area. I will say that to have your numbers jump that high that quickly you would typically have a very obvious, 'classical' OB presentation genitally.

The pain you are describing and what exacerbates it aligns much more with male pelvic floor dysfunction than HSV at this point in time. I would suggest you look up the book "A Headache in the Pelvis" as it is written for men about this kind of issue.  I will also say that I ended up in an EXTREMELY similar situation (sans indiscretion) and it was severe pelvic floor dysfunction that I had to have treated. I thought I had contracted HSV-2, and sitting was nearly impossible and long car rides were agony.

Also please note I am not saying it is impossible for you to possibly have HSV, and yes you should have follow up testing done at 12-14 weeks to definitely close the door on the situation for yourself.

FuriousNCurious

The duration and characteristics of your symptoms do seem to hint at a bacterial-prostate issue, just speaking from a similar experience. When I had prostatitis, I did have crazy "pulling" aches in the groin area and thighs. I also had a constant tingling sensation in the general groin area & inner thighs that complemented the urge to pee. And just like you, the urethral burning would disappear when urinating, and come back when not urinating.

Having the bumps disappear overnight does make it non-herpetic I reckon. It could however hint at a possible on-going skin-level infection. Quest has mentioned that any irritation to the area can cause nerve pain. Makes a lot of sense to me, we have nerves / nerve endings running right under our skin, any infection that would penetrate the skin enough could agitate the nerves.

Pappus
7 hours ago, WannaCry said:

Yes, I am saying that you could of contracted HSV-1 as a child orally and had negative testing for it and not remember ever having an OB. This is almost identical to the friend's situation I mentioned. They cannot ever remember having an oral OB, and have never had a genital OB either but there was the test with a 5.0 after years of negative results.

Seroconversion that quick is a bit more of a grey area. I will say that to have your numbers jump that high that quickly you would typically have a very obvious, 'classical' OB presentation genitally.

The pain you are describing and what exacerbates it aligns much more with male pelvic floor dysfunction than HSV at this point in time. I would suggest you look up the book "A Headache in the Pelvis" as it is written for men about this kind of issue.  I will also say that I ended up in an EXTREMELY similar situation (sans indiscretion) and it was severe pelvic floor dysfunction that I had to have treated. I thought I had contracted HSV-2, and sitting was nearly impossible and long car rides were agony.

Also please note I am not saying it is impossible for you to possibly have HSV, and yes you should have follow up testing done at 12-14 weeks to definitely close the door on the situation for yourself.

Hi Wannacry,

So what confirmation can he get testing at 12-14 weeks if your friend tested negative for years and then later positive? Doesnt it mean testing negative at 12-14 weeks do not imply that someone doesnt have it?

ManOutOfMind

Back when my penile burning first started, and upon my second visit to the urgent clinic, I had one bump that looked a lot more herpetic than the others (imo), and did not have a hair follicle in it. I believe that since the doctor was convinced that the other bumps were folliculitis, he was super confident (for no reason) that this bump wasn't herpetic and it was not a cause for concern. He adamantly refused to swab it.

I later learned, by calling that clinic back, that they do not even OFFER swab testing - something he neglected to mention to me when I was in his office. I called another clinic nearby and they confirmed they did swabbing, so I went to them 1 day later, but I fear that I got to them too late. They swabbed it, but it had already started to go down by then and wasn't slowing as it is in the picture (attached). This particular bump never blistered, spread, scabbed, or scarred - it did not hurt, it did not itch. It just quietly and casually disappeared. It was the only bump I had that looked like this, and was located on my mid-upper right groin area, closer to the hip joint. The second clinic swabbed anyway, to be sure, and also did a urethra swab and a pereneal swab, but all 3 came back negative.

Did the first urgent care clinic completely screw me out of a possible swab-confirmed diagnosis by lying to me about the sore and telling me it wasn't worth swabbing (rather than telling me they dont do swab testing)? I haven't had any other symptoms otherwise, no other visible outbreaks. At this point, I don't even have urinary frequency anymore, all I have left is a burning urethritis that lingers and lingers for close to 6 weeks now, and lower back/knee pain.

I'm convinced more and more that this is HSV. I'd be fine with it being HSV-1, but since I didn't have a true 'primary' outbreak I am conflicted. I know not everyone has a true primary outbreak, and some people report only urethritis, back pain, etc - but I'm at a total loss at this point. The only encounter I had was oral-to-genital... burning started within days of encounter, and I tested positive at 14 days post-encounter. What are my exposure chances looking like for HSV-2?

Would 6 or 7 days of acyclovir (taken during the initial urethral burning) have stopped a primary HSV-1 outbreak in its tracks? I didn't start taking the acyclovir until after I tested positive for HSV-1, and I stopped it shortly after at the suggestion of my urologist since "I didn't have herpes". It sucks so much how disconnected the medical industry is from these diseases, and I'm starting to lose hope for myself a little more each day...

Does this single small bump look like a herpes outbreak to any of you herpsters?

https://imgur.com/a/6iqtc

It remained that small, never getting any larger, or blistering or spreading, then went away without scarring or scabbing. 5 weeks later I am left with a small red spot in that location, and I can now see a hair present directly in the middle. Does herpes tend to not grow out of hair follicles and that is why derms and urgent cares are quick to diagnose it as that if there is hair in the middle? So confused, any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Edited by ManOutOfMind

ManOutOfMind

Can anyone provide any comments on the picture I posted? @WannaCry @WilsoInAus @FuriousNCurious @Pappus @Quest does this look like an OB to you? Nobody would swab it... Didn't ulcerate, grow, burst, or scab. Just kinda went away on its own and there's a red spot left behind with a hair in the middle

https://imgur.com/a/6iqtc

Edited by ManOutOfMind

FuriousNCurious

Hi @ManOutOfMind, it sounds like there are a number of things at play here. I'm no expert in this area, still learning, but here's my understanding.

1. With regards to your HSV-1 IGG readings, it does strongly indicate a past infection with stable antibodies. 2 weeks is pretty damn early for a 3.67 reading to show up, and measuring 3.7 weeks suggests stability. You may have just been an asymptomatic OHSV-1 person, similar to me.

2. I can't really comment on the picture due to my lack of visual knowledge. However the behavior of that bump as you described does sound very non-herpetic - the fact that there was no pain, no itch, it did not burst & scab over, and instead disappeared without a trace days later. That "lone ranger" in the picture actually sounds more like a pimple to me.

3. The thing about folliculitis is our hair follicles, while extremely resilient, are still extremely sensitive to bacteria or harm. Sometimes we won't see hair present on a few bumps, but that's not to say the follicles aren't present. Hair can fall off due to the inflamed follicle itself, the normal hair shedding cycle we all have, or external factors. (Don't get me wrong, I do get very easily annoyed doctors who are quick to diagnose almost all my rashes as folliculitis, because I'm hairy and it sounds a little too convenient, but I think very that is simply just the case - folliculitis)

4. "I'm convinced more and more that this is HSV." --> I think you're being driven into this state of mind due the the range of emotions and uncertainty that is flowing through your system right now, and I'm saying this because it's important you are aware of it. I know it's not easy, but you need to try to keep it together. The first clinic has obviously increased your levels of anger - again I can relate, I've come across too many medical institutions that diagnose & conclude purely based on the facilities they have, most of them won't bother recommending you to seek further assistance at institution that would be better equipped for your situation. Also, the anxiety from your potential exposure is playing a big part here as well, anxiety on it's own can turn your world upside. And I'm sure the window periods for testing are driving you nuts as well (i.e. how long you need to wait before you can conclude your status). It's a messed up situation, but you are in fact human.

5. Your swabs came back negative. As for whether it was too late, I really can't comment, not enough knowledge on that. But negative is good obviously, and also you now know a clinic that you can run to for a swab test IF you need to again. (That's a VERY BIG "IF" by the way)

Overall from what I can see, I'd say your prostatitis is the biggest concern right now (frequent urges to pee can also mess with your mind too). Do your level best to take a step back, and reassess your situation with an open mind. It's definitely a hard thing to do, but at least try man, you owe it to yourself!

Quest

I think I agree with FuriousNcurious.

To me, the image looks like folliculitis more than herpetic in nature, and I would go that direction because it looks like a discolor of a hair towards the top when enlarged. Am I sure? no. I think it is safe to say that no image should be used for a diagnosis. If anything, wait and see if it occurs again.

HSV1Could you have gotten it from mom's kiss? Sure, and it could have happened anytime in your life and you may have missed your first ob and then gotten stressed later in life and have it resurface.  When you have researched the possibilities let us know. ETA: I can't explain not having it then having it, but I think Wanna Cry did.

To explain your doc who doesn't do swabs. He may have elected out of doing it because it is so much easier not to than to have to turn into a counselor.

Here is how I gauge them in myself. Pain and a very pronounced redness with an irregular shape. I went through a period where everything was suspect and after negative swabs when I experienced no pain, I know now that it is not HSV related for myself. If the area swelled, tingled, burned or blistered with pain then I move fast to boost my treatment, especially on the surface that starts to feel like razor cuts- if I have not already stopped it.

Don't tell her about your encounter. That is your burden to learn from, don't place it on her shoulders and stop beating yourself up, if you are. 

ETA: HSV can be serious. Don't ever diagnose yourself without definite proof. Don't settle for it may be.  With as many utensils, towels, cups, and such that I have let people drink out of all my life. I can't believe I don't have HSV1 and 2. I also thought I was getting tested for hsv1 and 2 before each relationship and I was not. When You ask for tests for top std's hsv 1 and 2 won't be in the mix and you could have had it all along anywhere. 

Edited by Quest

ManOutOfMind

Thanks for the kind words @Quest @FuriousNCurious, I'm just having a really hard time finding anything else that jumps off the page as being responsible for my current symptoms, especially since they all started only 1-2 weeks after this stupid mistake and I've never had them before in my life. I know for a fact that I was always tested for HSV1/2 because I always paid out of pocket for private confidential 10 panel STD tests and I still have access to every test I've done. They all have HSV 1/2 IgG and they've all been negative up until 4 weeks ago which was 2 weeks post exposure. I recall also having a stiff neck during that time which I just dismissed as normal, no flu symptoms, no fever, no chills... Just so confused

I just can't understand why after 2 rounds of different antibiotics I still have a burning sensation in my urethra after urination, why I'm waking up in the middle of the night to urinate which I've never done before, and why my lower left back and knee always seem to hurt at night now. Its been 6 weeks now and I feel like I'm no closer to understanding what's wrong with me.

Tonight I had a strange nightmare, which is obviously my stress, and in that nightmare I got shot in the neck, and almost immediately afterwards I woke up with a very real pain in my neck in the same spot. I know the body can do crazy things, but I have trouble believing this is all just guilt.

FuriousNCurious

@ManOutOfMind The darn thing about HSV antibody IGG testing is that it does not indicate the site of infection, and different people produce antibodies at different rates. The value you read at 2 weeks post exposure strongly suggests you picked up HSV-1 before your encounter (maybe even around the time you tested 4 months prior, before your body produced antibodies, it's possible). Furthermore, if you haven't had any similar encounters prior to this one, then probability heavily swings towards an oral HSV-1 infection.

Your symptoms sound way too similar to my prostatitis experience. Now keep this in mind - a prostate can get infected months after the initial acquisition of a bacterial infection, if the bacteria still lingers of course. Like in my case, I had picked up Chlamydia and was pretty much asymptomatic. It was only 2-3 months later that my prostatitis symptoms appeared, and they were VERY MUCH like yours. It was only THEN that I was tested and diagnosed with Chlamydia (note that all sorts of bacteria can lead to prostatitis). Also, I was given two different types of antibiotics, one for the prostatitis (Levofloxacin for 14 days) and Chlamydia (a 250mg shot of Ceftriaxone & Azithromycin for 7 days). Even after my antibiotics, I do remember it took some time for my prostate to recover.

Also consider this, one of the biggest challenges (if not the biggest) with treating prostatitis is having the antibiotics effectively penetrate the prostate. This is why I was prescribed two different antibiotics. In technical terms, Azithromycin (a Macrolide antibiotic) has been proven effective against Chlamydia and Levofloxacin (a Fluoroquinolone antibiotic) has been proven effective at treating prostatitis. I'm unsure about Doxycycline's ability for prostatitis, but it is yet again of a different class - a Tetracycline antibiotic.

I'll mention PSA via blood testing again. Values skyrocket when the prostate is infected, and it was also how my doctor monitored my prostate's for recovery. It took around 1.5 to 2 months to return to normal values, and my symptoms to subside. No kidding, I kinda had to "re-train" my prostate to ejaculate properly again after that.

Do you recall which antibiotics you were given? And how are you monitoring your prostatitis? Don't brush this aside while your HSV fears consume you.

Also, you'd be surprised how dreams can manifest feelings such as pain. I once dreamt I got a really hard slap from a relative, I woke up in shock alone in my own room, and my right cheek was really hurting! Considering the two-way relationship between your brain and nervous system, it's obviously possible. Heck, Google "HIV Anxiety" and you'll see what I mean.

ManOutOfMind

@FuriousNCurious my urologist has already dismissed me, claiming that 2 weeks of doxycycline should be plenty, and he's already defaulted me to the pelvic pain syndrome category with pelvic floor dysfunction and signed me up for pelvic PT. He won't even consider prescribing additional different antibiotics because my prostate didn't seem inflamed during my last exam, even though the exam and massage made me feel discomfort riding all the way up my urethra to the tip and had mild similarities to the feeling I get after urination.

After the exam, my symptoms were noticibly worse, I could feel every bump on the road on the drive home riding through my legs and had some sharp pelvic discomfort come and go. 

I also mentioned to him that I hadn't been masturbating at all due to the fear of what was going on in my body and I've read online that the best way to ensure that antibiotic treatment reaches your prostate is to continue normal masturbation to stimulate blood flow intake into the prostate, since the prostate gland is very isolated and closed off from blood supply unless it's replenishing itself after use. I asked for another round of different antibiotics and told him I would continue normal masturbating to simulate blood intake, there was even a poster IN THE SAME ROOM about levoquin, but he told me antibiotics aren't going to help because there's no detectible bacteria.

Mind you, I didn't want to hide anything that would impact my treatment so I told him the truth about my indescretion, and even brought up the fact that the mouth is a cesspool of different bacteria, up to 500+ have been documented in various people, and everyone has different ones. I suggested that it's impossible to know that the lab test waited long enough to guarantee truth or detection of ALL possible bacteria since the test was finished in under 2 days and some bacteria have been shown not to grow in cultures for weeks or even months. He still refused to even try. He wouldn't give me a longer dose of antibiotics to treat chronic bacterial prostatitis which can sometimes require up to 12 weeks of antibiotics, he wouldn't do blood testing for PSA levels, he just put me in the "learn to live with it" category and sent me on my way.

I think I'm going to seek out a different urologist for a second opinion but my problem is that most of the urologist in my area are members of the same urology "group" so they may all act the same way. I'm looking into the possibility of maybe going to a medical school  since they typically have more equipment available and may be more interested in running adequate testing for learning and research purposes, or even going into NYC (I live in New Jersey). For some reason nobody is taking me seriously and it's very frustrating.

FuriousNCurious

@ManOutOfMind You've taken great turn! This last post just shows that you have a very good sense of awareness, you've displayed sense, you have done your research and you have comprehended it very well along with what you're going though. Keep this up, you're doing great bro!

I'm from Malaysia, doctors here don't typically perform physical prostate exams or prostate massages (Good God the amount of inappropriate jokes I could crack right now!). I was lucky enough however to consult with an "out-of-the-box" thinking gastroenterologist when I was experiencing these symptoms (I was absolutely clueless at that point). He ordered me a PSA test because he saw saw some from of calcification around my prostate by chance while assessing my other organs via ultrasound. After which, the insanely high result prompted him to refer me to his buddy urologist.

Here's what I gathered off the reactions from other doctors who saw my PSA readings - they were shocked that a person my age (I was 31 when this happened) had a PSA test done. Why? Traditionally, it's a test done for men over the age of 50 for the purpose of checking for prostate cancer. The urologist, after he had treated me appropriately, told me to simply keep track of my PSA readings periodically with any nearby GP available to ensure my prostate was recovering. Both GP's I went to for follow-up blood tests (after treatment) were surprised I even had a PSA test ordered to begin with and mentioned "this test is usually done for much older men to check for prostate cancer, you're too young to have this test". I'm telling you this because it may explain any hesitance you may face in the coming future. I paid for these tests out of my own pocket, so they couldn't quite refuse my request.

You were right to be frank with your doctor about your indiscretion, and I advise you to do the same with future doctors just so they have as much info to work with as possible. I also think you're right to get a second opinion for another urologist especially since your current one has put put you in the "learn to live with it" category, this is something that can be fixed and you need to push to fix it!

"For some reason nobody is taking me seriously and it's very frustrating." --> I totally feel you on this, it was possibly one of the worst things I had to face with my recent issue. Focus on the people that do take you seriously. Stay vigilant. Do your best to keep yourself composed. You're doing great comprehending your research against your overall situation. Keep at it and I think odds are in your favour to find resolution.

Final note - my fav GP gave me something to alkalize my urine to reduce the urethral "burn" post-urinating. I'm afraid I don't know what it was (it came in the clinic's generic bottle), but pop your head into a pharmacy and see if they have anything to that effect, mine was a yellow liquid that had to be mixed with water, but heck it could come in various forms. It would at least provide you with some temporary relief until you get this sorted.

ManOutOfMind

@FuriousNCurious thanks again for all of your kind words. I must admit, I am still a bit fearful of the results. I went ahead and ordered private PSA testing. It isn't available in my state privately (for some unknown reason), but I was able to pay $49 USD to get it done in the next state over, a short 30-40 minute drive. Hoping it's worth it.

If the PSA result comes back in the normal range for my age... then I don't know where I am going to turn next. The fact is that for nearly 5 weeks now I have had a warming sensation in my penis that is more aggravated when I need to urinate and after I urinate, and I also have pain in my back and left leg... on top of this, I still feel what (to me) feels like occasional prodrome symptoms on my inner thigh. I've been experiencing these on/off sensations for weeks now, but no blisters have ever surfaced. I just don't know what to make of these symptoms, and I'm at my wits end.

Regarding the medicine to alkalize the urine, I actually had one of those prescribed to me previously. It turned my urine orange, but it definitely did help in alleviating the feeling a bit... but they only prescribed me a 3 day supply. I am still worried that this could be HSV related, but I'm holding on to hope that I did not somehow get HSV2 from oral sex. I know it's considered "statistically very rare", but considering the fact that this woman is a "professional", I have no idea where her mouth may have been before it was near me. What a stupid, stupid, stupid thing I've done. I swear if I make it out of the other end of this without HSV2, without losing my girlfriend, and without this burning feeling living with me for the rest of my life, I will NEVER stray from my girl ever again. Through sickness and in health, I really want to marry this woman, and I can't believe I stooped so low for such a short time and its brought me such tremendous grief. I am 6 weeks in and I am definitely still struggling. Right now as I write this, I've felt a mild stinging sensation on the outside of my penis on the left side, and scratching at it has caused it to slip away, for now. WHAT IS THIS?!?!

Quest

What about a cyst in the urethra?

did they do a sonogram? Thanks for the extra details.

What about MSM one t or T every 12 hrs  it won't kill good bacteria but the bad won't survive. If you forget to take it do not take it right before bed it will keep you up. it is a little less strong then hydrogen peroxide in the body, but it might be a good idea to oxygenate the cells. If you want to know a little more about it on YouTube there is a video with Jim humbles protocol. He will show you how to do protocol for anything and everything

FuriousNCurious

@ManOutOfMind I personally think you're doing good bro, you sound like you're taking the right initiatives, well to me at least. The PSA test would serve to either confirm or rule out a major contributing factor (personally, I'd be surprised if your readings were within range already since your first doc did diagnose you with an inflamed prostate). Either which way the results swing though, it will serve to provide a little more mental clarity and I do think it will benefit your psyche. This is gonna sound crazy, but the more you get a grip mentally, the better you'll find yourself able to "communicate" with your body, pick up cues, etc. I can't explain it, but I hope you get what I mean. If you've browsed through this forum enough, you'd have come across people talk about how they've become more "in tune" with their bodies.

I totally feel you on the prodrome. For a good 2 weeks or more (before I got on this forum for advice) I was constantly googling keywords to the effect of "constant prodrome without outbreaks". It's absolutely understandable, but just do your best to not get trapped in that cycle, it'll drain you mentally and distract you massively. If it helps, and I hope I'm not implying this the wrong way, look at it like an "innocent til proven guilty" situation.

You're a lot like me bro, my experience made me realize a ton of things too, especially how I took so many things for granted before this. That's just how we are as stubborn human beings, most of the time we just don't learn unless there's some real impact to the lesson.

Keep us updated on your results, and keep up the vigilance!

Scooby2112

Hsv2 is not really in question for you.  Oral sex is only really likely to pass hsv1.

To @WannaCry's point it is possible to test negative on Igg for HSV1.  Terri warren quotes it as 30% false negative rate compared to the western blot.  

I am in a very similar position as you.  Igg HSV1 positive (Igg=4.5) at ten weeks past my regretful oral experience.  I also tested negative previously (about 8 years ago).  

I have not had an blisters (typical outbreaks) but have had irritation on the glans of my penis (which is what I initially noticed) and the reason I went to urgent Care at about 6 days post exposure.  They said didn't see anything. But treated for possible Chlamydia and ghonrhea.  After that I visited about 6 different physicians ranging from general drs, dermatologists (2different ones) and a urologist. In total probably had about 20 visits over the course of 6 months.  No one ever thought anything looked suspicious.  But after treatment I have had burning in my thighs and random pinching on butt and groin/scrotum.  Had horrible burning on my glans for about three months.  I think I am starting to believe that was from sensitising to all sorts of topical treatments.  I stopped topical treatments in January and it has definitely got better.  Back to more just the irritation occasionally felt in the glans and it appears pink and moist/tacky where the foreskin would be.  I also had occasional pain in my perineum and pain during ejaculation a couple times.  Never hurt to pee no urinary frequency etc.  

Ultimately it's been 9 months from exposure and other than the symptoms described above had nothing except that blood test positive.  (I had to pay for my own test because drs won't order one for me without signs/symptoms they view as  possibly herpetic).