World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
TotallyLost85

Protein shakes and Lysine

TotallyLost85

I recently started a weight loss diet. I replaced 2 meals with my ON gold standard whey protein ... sometimes i mix with water and sometimes I mix with almond milk. 

I recently learned that protein shakes can cause outbreaks ?! I read that if you can find a protein that has higher levels of Lysine and lower levels of arginine, the break outs are less prone to happen. 

well, I looked at my tub of ON whey powder and it says it has 11g of Lysine and 7.7g of arginine.  Could these be the reason I have been having such bad break outs? Are these levels bad in my shakes?

I also read that taking a daily supplement of Lysine is recommended to treat break outs and keep them at bay. How much should i take day and should I be taking it with my valacyclovir ?

Quest

You have mixed results. But I really didn't find it bothering people. The one that does I believe is a muscle recovery drink that bodybuilders use. not sure what it was called.

Make sure the ratio is always higher for Lysine which builds tendons, metabolizes fat and gives one energy. For sure the arginine in the popular bone broth is way higher. I use lysine with it to make it higher in lysine than arginine. Same with foods.