Curious1998

So I have been diagnosed with Ghsv 1 and I was wondering far as sex goes should I use condoms for now on ? I know I shouldn’t have sex during any breakout of course. But after everything heals (far as breakouts) will I still need a condom ? Can I still receive oral or what? I tried looking up things online far as Ghsv 1 goes but didn’t get the answers I was looking for.

How long after the exposure u got lesions? Did u have unprotected sex? Oral or vaginal? 

I heard that genital to genital hsv1 is very very rare and almost 0

Genital to genital transmission without an outbreak is rare.  There are proven cases where it has occurred in literature. However it's not sure if that was from asymptomatic shedding or not.  

What's below is based on a lot of AVERAGES.  You could be higher or lower.  You will need time to see how your body reacts.  

What we do know is that hsv1 sheds on average 3-5% of the days of a year.   That's  11-19 days on average.  Also it was shown that some shedding events could be as short as 6 hours (hsv2 study) and some were at such low copies of virus that it is doubtful that it could result in a transmission (speculative based on animal studies with Hsv2).  I also believe it was shown that some with HSV1 never showed shedding at all (can't recall if that was a study or a statement I read somewhere).  But best to stick with the averages because you never know.  

This proves that the times you are contagious outside an outbreak is relatively low.  

We also know that 40-60% of the population has HSV1 already and so is highly resistant from getting it again in a new location.  

So roughly half the population is not likely to contract (and remember hsv1 blood tests are false negative up to 30% of the time).  

What we really don't know is how likey it is to transmit.  We can make some assumptions based on the shedding rate comparison with Hsv2 studies.  Hsv2 sheds about 15-20%.   Or in other words hsv1 sheds from the genitals about a third (1/3) less than hsv2.  

In a transmission study of hsv2 discordant couples (one has H, the other doesn't).  After approximately 100 sex acts over the course of a year without condoms or antivirals the transmission was about 10%.  They abstained during outbreaks or prodrome.  

If we equate then that 10% received it in a year from asymptomatic shedding with the higher shedding rate of hsv2 we can make a leap and say if hsv1 shedding is a third of gHSV2 then the transmission percent would also be a third or about 3% after a year of sex (definitely not proven). 

We also know female to male transmission is lower than male to female.  So  probably a bit less than 3% for you.  Antivirals were shown to cut transmission by about 50%.  So that could bring yu Down to 1.5%.  condoms would virtually eliminate the risk.  Or at least bring it to below 1%.  

Also know that you can be more infectious in the first 6-12 months while your body suppresses the virus.   Keep an eye out.  If you don't have any more outbreaks or maybe one in the next year you would be in the average.  Have more frequent and you could be higher than above.  

Hope this helps.