I have both versions of the virus. (tested positive for them). Without any treatment any normal year will yield 7 to 15 outbreaks.

I did Valtrex, would help to stop outbreaks but heavy symptoms of replication would be still present, did this for the first 3 years then stopped Valtrex for 3 years and tried everything else mentioned out there in studies and here in the forum with mixed results but nothing that would work 100% including Lysine (at the dose of 1000mg a day). 
Last year on a trip out of state, i decided to indulge in heavy drinking, which we all know puts a heavy strain on the immune system and started to obviously have very heavy symptoms of replication, but ladies and gentlemen this one was coming strong. So I run to the internet and again, went back to visit all the studies re-read everything to find a solution I havent tried, then found articles more specific on the arginine function inside the virus replication cycle, such as (https://www.fxmedicine.com.au/blog-post/role-arginine-viral-replication) this article. 
Lysine seemed a good option again but how to differentiate this new experience from the last time, I asked myself what can I do better this time? 
I took 12 grams that day(divided in 4 doses of 4, woke up took one, then 4 with every food), still with the huge pain of the outbreak about to come but, something changed. It didnt come! as expected I had stomach cramps, bloating and discomfort but I continued during the week to the point that the pain subsided an the outbreak never came. No red skin, no blisters, no pain no nothing after a week, so that prompted me to start a little personal experiment.

Lysine Dosage Experimentation - A years worth of personal experience with lysine dosages.

Months one to three:

1000mg with each food (3 times a day)

-Replication (prodome) symtoms present: (4/10) ; on a scale of 10 being present all the time, 0 never being present.

-Amount of outbreaks: 1.5 ; reduction from the usual 3 to 5 from the past year

Held back one outbreak, and had a very small one that healed in two days two weeks later)

-Cost of treatment: 3 pills per day x 90 days = 3 bottles of 100 pills x 10 dollars each = $30 

-Side Effects: Stomach Cramping, Bloating,

-How I mitigated side effects: At this point didnt try much, maybe some pepto but no big change. Still I held up the dosage experiment because of the clear reduction in symptoms and outbreaks.

Months three to six:

2000mg with each food (3 times a day)

-Replication (prodome) symtoms present: (1/10) ; on a scale of 10 being present all the time, 0 never being present.

-Amount of outbreaks: 0 ; reduction from the usual 3 to 5 from the past year

All i felt at this point was faint jolts in the sciatica nerve (tigh and butt) but no mayor symptoms.

-Cost of treatment: 6 pills per day x 30 days (3 months) = 6 bottles of 100 pills x 10 dollars each = $60 + dietary changes

-Side Effects: Stomach Cramping, Bloating, Hungry a lot more often ( Gained weight (5-6 pounds) Happy

-How I mitigated side effects: This was a little heavier on my body, but my body had gotten somewhat used to it in the past months, so I researched on how to combat cramping and bloating I found one common cheap way of doing it: Bananas, potassium rich food helps with bloating! So after adding bananas I would eat 2 to 3 bananas a day, everything seemed a lot more manageable. Also tried foods with stomach enzimes like papaya, yogurt (greekplain with the fruits added later), Pineapple and lots of water. Everything helped with the symptoms and made me eat healthier on the way which prompted more lifestyle changes like eating less processed sugary stuff like cookies, candy etc...

Months six to nine:

3000mg with each food (3 times a day)

-Replication (prodome) symtoms present: (0.5/10) ; on a scale of 10 being present all the time, 0 never being present.

The only reason I put 0.5 is because I know the virus is there, its been with me for years so my brain knows hes not going away but to be honest I had no symptoms at all.

-Amount of outbreaks: 0 ; reduction from the usual 3 to 5 from the past year

-Cost of treatment: 9 pills per day x 90 days  = 9 bottles of 100 pills x 10 dollars each = $90 + dietary changes

-Side Effects: Stomach Cramping, Bloating, dropped weight gained, Super Happy, Confident

-How I mitigated side effects: By this time I had eliminated Soda (aside from the once a week sprite with some junk food) and only drank water(tried as much to make it high ph but any water would do me good anyways), I was snacking 3 to 5 times a day fruits, my digestion was amazing but the 9grams of lysine felt heavy. Now this months came some main course dietary changes also, concentrated more on eating better, I personally love meats so I would go and eat meat with a salad, or rice, try to leave out things like bread and pasta (anything wheat made really).. 

Months nine to twelve:

0mg with each food (3 times a day)

-Replication (prodome) symtoms present: (6/10) ; on a scale of 10 being present all the time, 0 never being present.

Effects from the lysine intake lasted a good 7 to 10 days then the symptoms came back at least 60%, I suspect my dietary changes have a positive effect on keeping the virus at bay

-Amount of outbreaks: Almost 1 ; reduction from the usual 3 to 5 from the past year

(I stopped it with the 2 grams with food option) =)

-Cost of treatment:  cost of newly found dietary changes

-Side Effects: Happy, Energetic

-How I mitigated side effects: By this time, I had begun excercising, continued to eat better, cut down my junk food eating to once every two weeks, kept my intake of fruits had energy all the time. i drank 4 to 8 bottles of water daily, 90% removed bread and pasta, but introduced more vegeteables to accompany my meats, 90% removed soda intake... no more sugar in exess.. my body didnt even ask for sugars anymore. 

I decided to stick with the 2 grams with food every single day or 6 grams a day, sometimes I take it 3 grams in the morning, 3 grams before sleep.. After a year of not having almost outbreaks I look forward to more years like this, I felt responsible to share this information. One thing I want to say from my personal experience and as advice.. Biologically, Im not a normal person anymore, I accepted it. I can lead a normal lifestyle just like any other human, but If I understand the Biologically ive changed I must do whats best for my new standard. Thats why initially I made the changes to my diet, made the changes to my lifstyle and im always looking forward to better myself mentally, and physically. I do not provoke the virus as a test, I do not eat high arginine foods like nuts and chocolate "for nostalgia" of how I once was, that is detrimental to my new biologic state. To me, accepting is understanding that the food I used to eat before, i cannot eat anymore, being sad and depressed is not an option anymore, that i had to change my character to a point in which it  affects positively my choices from now on to protect my new wellbeing. Today im a new person, regained my confidence, my happiness and all not because of lysine but because of understanding and accepting that for me to accept the positive lysine changes in my body I needed to change my life. 

Change is the treatment I offer you guys today.

Any questions feel free to ask, I dont log in often.. usually always looked from the ouside, but I will try to answer any questions you have.

Thanks for this info. I'll definitely try this. I've been taking lysine 2-3 times a day 1000mg pills and have not noticed any marked difference. I'll increase my dosage and follow your protocol and hope it helps too. By the way, what kind of Lysine are you taking? I've read somewhere that the one with magnesium stearate is not good. And I just found out that my lysine has that.

6 hours ago, leeRW said:

Thanks for this info. I'll definitely try this. I've been taking lysine 2-3 times a day 1000mg pills and have not noticed any marked difference. I'll increase my dosage and follow your protocol and hope it helps too. By the way, what kind of Lysine are you taking? I've read somewhere that the one with magnesium stearate is not good. And I just found out that my lysine has that.

I dont know if I can mention brands but The one that I take has it and has been working fine for me, its the one you buy in walgreens... but Id definately like to read more into that, if you could find the link and post it it would be amazing..

3 hours ago, arig said:

I'm probably going to try the 6 grams daily. How much do you weigh? Have you noticed any negative side effects to the long term use of the lysine? Thanks

The only negative, well not negative side effect but more like side effect in general its that the stomach cramping and bloating has been reduced but in exchange now Lysine makes me super hungry, so I try to watch the amount of food and how often i find myself eating maybe because of this use for lysine (https://pharma.knoji.com/appetite-stimulant-facts/).. Ive always had problems with digestion (ibs) and since i started taking it ive been doing better maybe it could be tied to this (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC307574/

as for myself, aside from the weight gain I havent felt anything from the long term use as of yet, but then again, I do keep a pretty clean diet and a high intake of water which in theory would eliminate any excess pretty quickly.. My weight should be close to 200 Pounds (6'2")

Heres another helpful article with scientific citations on lysine (http://aminoacidstudies.org/l-lysine/)

Personally, i usually get sick once or twice a year with a flu or a cold and I havent this year, somewhere in there says that the flu virus feeds itself through lysine too.. so i guess thats helped... in the end you choose whatevers good for you, for example in the next few months im going to start intermitent lysine supplementation, instead of every day, im going to do it 4 days out of the week to see if theres any difference, maybe it doesnt have to be everyday, but theres only one way to find out.

Edited by random7years

Read this from another forum:

'Hi Tallulah I'm in a bit of a rush but I wanted to say that yes your right this is Good stuff but you should specify that it is the l-lysine that has vitamin C, Zinc, and B6. If the label says it has gelatin,magnesium stearate, or dicalcium phosphate.  That is the wrong one to buy as those help the virus to replicate not go away. It's cheap too amazon has it for $12. Best of luck to all. '

I think the info came from the "the Ultimate Herpes Protocol" by Melanie A.

4 hours ago, leeRW said:

Read this from another forum:

'Hi Tallulah I'm in a bit of a rush but I wanted to say that yes your right this is Good stuff but you should specify that it is the l-lysine that has vitamin C, Zinc, and B6. If the label says it has gelatin,magnesium stearate, or dicalcium phosphate.  That is the wrong one to buy as those help the virus to replicate not go away. It's cheap too amazon has it for $12. Best of luck to all. '

I think the info came from the "the Ultimate Herpes Protocol" by Melanie A.

I agree with the gelatin part, but I believe that the only way to take it without magnesium stearate is in the powder, they sell it in amazon like that but to address your doubt these are my thoughts:

as far as I understand from what ive read, HSV needs Arginine on the late stage of replication, if theres enough lysine available to counteract the amount of arginine it means a lot less replication, a little magnesium stearate wont do any difference, even valtrex has magnesium stearate as stated in this website (http://chealth.canoe.com/drug/getdrug/valtrex) and this one (https://www.rxlist.com/valtrex-drug.htm#indications_dosage).. So, i woudlnt worry about that to be honest, I would think more of the benefits that the lysine itself would provide because its the biggest component in the pill.

5 hours ago, arig said:

Aside from all the lysine, I've heard that zinc and vitamin c help with absorption of the lysine. Have you tried that as well or are you just doing the lysine?

Just the lysine for now. Its been working so I havent felt the need to add anything else. 

Im guessing it wouldnt hurt, but I would to add things slowly like one by one, try to point out the reaction or if its working at all. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How long did it take for you to notice the benefits? Especially at your most effective dose? 1 Week? 2 weeks? 1 month? Just trying to figure when one could conclude if it's helping or not....Thanks. Super helpful post by the way. I've taken lysine before but never noticed a benefit...maybe I wasn't taking enough....

I started to see difference on the 2k with each food one, 2k 3 times a day.. every6 hrs? Its not perfect, tho ive been having small outbreaks lately. I did spend a lot of time without them, but stress from work and moving has me weak i guess.. I will keep coming from time to time, but i will also be looking to add other aupplement based on ncbi studies to see what works and come back here.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

I bought some at the grocery store and it was probably all the junk fillers, but after just two days of 4g a day I have a rash on my arm and had the expected stomach issues....def not a good sign,,,,it was just a couple days but it had no impact on my HSV...I may try it again with higher quality lysine.

22 hours ago, Kurdt01 said:

I bought some at the grocery store and it was probably all the junk fillers, but after just two days of 4g a day I have a rash on my arm and had the expected stomach issues....def not a good sign,,,,it was just a couple days but it had no impact on my HSV...I may try it again with higher quality lysine.

I recommend thorne or pure encapsulations.  Not expensive.  I have take 2 grams a day for about 9 months, but going to cycle at some point. 

Gabardi S, Munz K, Ulbricht A review of dietary supplement-induced renal dysfunction. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 2: 757–765.

https://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/2/4/757#ref-33

l-Lysine

l-Lysine has been reported to cause Fanconi syndrome and tubulointerstitial nephritis. Fanconi syndrome is impairment in renal proximal tubular function and may lead to acidosis, dehydration, and electrolyte imbalances. It is often treated supportively until the underlying cause is addressed. A single case report identified a 44-yr-old woman who developed Fanconi syndrome and tubulointerstitial nephritis after consuming 3000 mg/d l-lysine for 5 yr. Subsequently, the patient progressed to chronic renal failure (33).

37 minutes ago, Mikeike39 said:

I recommend thorne or pure encapsulations.  Not expensive.  I have take 2 grams a day for about 9 months, but going to cycle at some point. 

Gabardi S, Munz K, Ulbricht A review of dietary supplement-induced renal dysfunction. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 2: 757–765.

https://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/2/4/757#ref-33

l-Lysine

l-Lysine has been reported to cause Fanconi syndrome and tubulointerstitial nephritis. Fanconi syndrome is impairment in renal proximal tubular function and may lead to acidosis, dehydration, and electrolyte imbalances. It is often treated supportively until the underlying cause is addressed. A single case report identified a 44-yr-old woman who developed Fanconi syndrome and tubulointerstitial nephritis after consuming 3000 mg/d l-lysine for 5 yr. Subsequently, the patient progressed to chronic renal failure (33).

So it helps you? Is there a definite reduction of your symptoms?

On 12/29/2020 at 8:09 AM, Kurdt01 said:

So it helps you? Is there a definite reduction of your symptoms?

Oh yes totally helps. My dermatologist approves of it, too. Anyone who says it doesn’t work is just a shill.  

it helps me more than 1 gram of valtrex ever did. I actually have a life again. It isn’t perfect but it’s something. I just don’t want to kill my kidneys in three years, so trying to keep it under 2500g a day

• 10 months later...

I’ve been taking 2 grams of lysine daily for the past 20 years or so. I have also upped my vit c intake to like 3 grams a day. I am currently healing up from a pretty bad breakout on my lip 4 days ago. I recently upped my D3 intake and am wondering if that had anything to do with my recent outbreak. 

14 hours ago, Candida Man said:

I’ve been taking 2 grams of lysine daily for the past 20 years or so. I have also upped my vit c intake to like 3 grams a day. I am currently healing up from a pretty bad breakout on my lip 4 days ago. I recently upped my D3 intake and am wondering if that had anything to do with my recent outbreak. 

It's highly doubtful that your increased intake of D3 caused an outbreak.... D3 studies have shown that it actually helps lower your chances of outbreaks by boosting your immune system.  I suspect it must have been something else that provoked this outbreak.  

I did have a very stressful day at work on Saturday and had the outbreak on Monday so maybe that set me over the edge. Im still healing up days later and I’ve upped my lysine to 3 grams a day and an gonna keep it there for a while. 

On 11/20/2021 at 8:48 PM, Candida Man said:

I did have a very stressful day at work on Saturday and had the outbreak on Monday so maybe that set me over the edge. Im still healing up days later and I’ve upped my lysine to 3 grams a day and an gonna keep it there for a while. 

do you take any antiviral meds (valacyclovir? famvir?)  Are your outbreaks frequent enough to warrant taking an antiviral med?