Jump to content
World's Largest Herpes Support Group
ozman

Herpes and saliva

Recommended Posts

ozman

I took a bite of something off my fork. I was then using community spoon to scoop ice cream, and used the fork prongs to get the ice cream off the spoon. I then dipped spoon into ice cream for another scoop. I had forgotten I used the fork, and may have gotten small bit of saliva on the spoon. I realized my mistake, and replaced the spoon, but didn’t tell anyone I dipped it in ice cream. Now I feel like a murderer because someone could get hsv 2 and transmit to their granddaughter who gets pregnant and loses the child giving birth due to herpes. I am ocd and have these kinds of thoughts. Could someone get herpes from me in this way? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imgoingtofightthis

Hey I’m not sure.. I don’t think the virus can live outside of the body for a long time... I would definitely be careful in the future, sanitation wise just to ease your anxiety.. because you never know how things could work out and most likely, if there was cross contamination, it wouldn’t reveal itself for a long time. 

 

Just be careful in the future, if It’s heavy on your heart, I would replace the ice-cream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WannaCry

Herpes is not transmitted by saliva. It is transmitted by skin to skin contact or in the case of sexual contact, female genital secretions can carry the virus if there is an internal outbreak.

Also if you have GENITAL herpes type 2 your mouth DOES NOT transmit it. Whoever told you otherwise is an idiot.

Nor could you contract genital herpes from ingesting something with HSV virus.

HSV only causes issues for infants if they pass through the birth canal while there is an active OB. This is mitigated by antiviral treatment before labor or C Section.

Your post is full of absolutely incorrect information fueling your fears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ozman

When you said if I have genital herpes 2 my mouth does not transmit it, I am a bit confused. I know I am negative for hsv 1, but couldn’t I have gotten hsv2 on the mouth somehow? I don’t remember ever having herpes blister type sores orally, but canker type sores I do remember. Inside mouth. I didn’t have any sores as far as I know when I touched the fork orally. Thanks for your concern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus
43 minutes ago, ozman said:

When you said if I have genital herpes 2 my mouth does not transmit it, I am a bit confused. I know I am negative for hsv 1, but couldn’t I have gotten hsv2 on the mouth somehow? I don’t remember ever having herpes blister type sores orally, but canker type sores I do remember. Inside mouth. I didn’t have any sores as far as I know when I touched the fork orally. Thanks for your concern. 

What makes you think you have HSV-2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ozman

When you said if I have genital herpes 2 my mouth does not transmit it, I am a bit confused. I know I am negative for hsv 1, but couldn’t I have gotten hsv2 on the mouth somehow? I don’t remember ever having herpes blister type sores orally, but canker type sores I do remember. Inside mouth. I didn’t have any sores as far as I know when I touched the fork orally. Thanks for your concern.

6 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

What makes you think you have HSV-2?

I tested positive for hsv2 and negative for hsv1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus

A lot depends on how you were diagnosed in the first place. Was it from a genital swab or a blood test for example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roger Deslorieux

Saliva can transfer genital herpes.

 

Regards,

Roger Deslorieux

Magnus Consulting sdn bhd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ozman
23 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

A lot depends on how you were diagnosed in the first place. Was it from a genital swab or a blood test for example?

Blood test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus

As you appear to not to have had genital symptoms it may be worthwhile repeating the test. Are you in Australia?

Without a swab confirming location, it is appropriate to assume that the infection is genital as 97% of such infections are.

As such there is no risk associated with your mouth.

For a person that does have HSV-2, the only pragmatic risk of transmission would be related to kissing and giving oral sex. Transferring on an object is not a feasible means of transmission. Further, sufficient virus to infect someone will only be present on the lips 0 to 1 day a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trouble tick
On 5/6/2018 at 3:44 PM, Imgoingtofightthis said:

Hey I’m not sure.. I don’t think the virus can live outside of the body for a long time... I would definitely be careful in the future, sanitation wise just to ease your anxiety.. because you never know how things could work out and most likely, if there was cross contamination, it wouldn’t reveal itself for a long time. 

 

Just be careful in the future, if It’s heavy on your heart, I would replace the ice-cream. 

I thought it can only live outside the body a few seconds  ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

×