World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
mr10

Help.. are these symptoms HSV related?

mr10

Hi,

I was diagnosed with HSV2 about 1 year ago. Since then, I have had all sorts of weird symptoms down there. Since several months back, I have constant tingling in the genital (sometimes anal) area. I felt like showers were the only thing that could relieve the symptoms so I started showering 2-3 times per day. I was also getting random cuts. Just to clarify, I never got HSV blisters, my first outbreak was a series of cuts, so I assumed these symptoms were HSV related. The tingling (sometimes itching) is really affecting me, sometimes I get tingling in the legs too. The symptoms seem to get worse with sex and at night. I went to the Dr. and she thinks the symptoms are not HSV related (I also tested neg for all other STIs) and recommended I use some creams (which did not help). I am also taking 1g of Valacyclovir daily. I honestly do not know what's up. The doctors do not seem to know either.. Has anyone had a similar experience? Your feedback is appreciated. 

WilsoInAus

Hey and welcome @mr10

What does your doctor think is the issue?

Were the cuts swabbed or how did you test positive for HSV-2?

mr10

Hi @WilsoInAus, she says HSV does not cause tingling/itching, which is not correct according to my experience. I swabbed positive during my 1st outbreak (2 different labs unfortunately). After that, I had another swab last year, which was negative. The thing is sometimes if the swab is not done correctly or during the first days the results might be negative. She told me to come back when I got another cut so we could swab it. I haven't had one of those in a few weeks but right now the tingling is what is really bothering me on a daily basis. I think I could deal with occasional cuts if I did not feel this tingling/itching every day.

WilsoInAus

So the first swab was of cuts or lesions?

Tingling and itching are associated with the lesions and cuts but tend to be more directly related to the small patch of sores or cuts. 

When you say cuts, what are they exactly? 

HSV cuts are more like dry slits in the skin, they appear often to be very deep, not just the surface.

mr10

@WilsoInAus the first swab was cuts- I did not get the textbook HSV pictures. I did get herpetic whitlow afterwards and those did look like lesions/blisters.

The cuts are like a round patch where you don't have skin. The center was very red, inflamed, and wet. I must admit the ones I had afterwards were more superficial, but if they were not HSV I do not know how to explain all these symptoms. I never had any of this before my HSV diagnosis. 

WilsoInAus

Possibly are herpes related and it seems like your doctor at least doesn't think it is serious. 

It may be useful to take a spell of antivirals to give your body a chance to get on top of things.

mr10

@WilsoInAus I am taking suppressive therapy (1 gram of Valacyclovir daily- have been doing so for almost a year). I do not know what else to do. It's always the same issue with doctors, they don't think it's serious bc I'm not dying but the symptoms are greatly affecting my quality of life. 

WilsoInAus

There isn't much else to do if you are taking 1g of antivirals per day. I guess a dermatologist might have more insights for you. Seen a good one?