Cold and flu symptoms for OB

I have HSV-2, genital. My first outbreak (2 months ago) I had sores, with the same symptoms of everything involving an upper respiratory infection, and/or, cold/flu symptoms that lasted literally, over a month. Longer than the damn sores. Since then, my outbreaks and symptoms show up with no sores, but extreme fatigue, cold or flu symptoms, and extremely swollen lymphnode on the left side, under my jaw. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any advice to make it stop? Sometimes it shows up for a day and is gone the next, others it's longer. But it's zapped my energy levels, and taken everything out of me. And my doctor is ZERO help. Any GOOD advice would be much appreciated. 

The symptoms you describe would appear to have nothing to do with HSV.

Goodness knows what is going on, have you had a chest x-ray? The fatigue sounds like recovery from a bad chest infection.

3 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

The symptoms you describe would appear to have nothing to do with HSV.

Goodness knows what is going on, have you had a chest x-ray? The fatigue sounds like recovery from a bad chest infection.

I said GOOD advice. Upper respiratory infections often accompany herpes breakouts. Thanks. 

They may contribute to outbreaks, but they are not in any way related to respiratory issues, either oral or genital herpes.

This is serious, is your doctor suggesting this? If they are, please PM me and I will address it with the medical board, such utter incompetence must be addressed. My goodness, sometimes these quacks need to be taken off the road if you know what I mean. You poor soul, but it will be alright. Please find a competent doctor before it is to late.

More than happy to, it is the best way to put doctors on notice to lift their knowledge on topics like these.

This will also give you a chance to get a proper diagnosis of your chest, how's that going, fatigue continuing?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

More than happy to, it is the best way to put doctors on notice to lift their knowledge on topics like these.

This will also give you a chance to get a proper diagnosis of your chest, how's that going, fatigue continuing?

Yes, actually. And, ironically,  I just got another cold. Sore throat, Runny nose, body aches. :-(

14 minutes ago, Beachlovr88 said:

Yes, actually. And, ironically,  I just got another cold. Sore throat, Runny nose, body aches. :-(

Oh that's no good, but this has nothing to do with herpes. This seems quite chronic, what does your (new) doctor think is going on?

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, HerpesDumbAf said:

I never had cold/flu symptoms with mine which is why I still question my diagnosis 

It is more typical NOT to get cold / flu symptoms. Many people confuse these these with a cough, runny nose sort of things, which is not the case. It relates to the body shock of the immune system firing up.

I believe you had a positive swab from your genital area?? The only question is whether the HSV-2 outcome was an assumption or explicit. You will know if it was if one of the following is true:

1. The test was PCR; or

2. The culture explicitly had the immunofluoresence test applied to it and the result quoted is from this test.

Edited by WilsoInAus
49 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

It is more typical NOT to get cold / flu symptoms. Many people confuse these these with a cough, runny nose sort of things, which is not the case. It relates to the body shock of the immune system firing up.

I believe you had a positive swab from your genital area?? The only question is whether the HSV-2 outcome was an assumption or explicit. You will know if it was if one of the following is true:

1. The test was PCR; or

2. The culture explicitly had the immunofluoresence test applied to it and the result quoted is from this test.

It was a positive swab for HSV2 but I still question it 

6 minutes ago, HerpesDumbAf said:

It was a positive swab for HSV2 but I still question it 

My point is that there may be a question as to type. Many cultures are not typed but assumed to be HSV-2 rather than correctly typed. Genital infections are about 50/50 HSV-1 to HSV-2.

With the one outbreak, that's why I suggest HSV-1 is a possibility, yet it could still be HSV-2.

If you have a positive swab then barring a lab mix up, the result is pretty much definitive. (Only a low copy count PCR test may warrant some thinking.)

46 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

My point is that there may be a question as to type. Many cultures are not typed but assumed to be HSV-2 rather than correctly typed. Genital infections are about 50/50 HSV-1 to HSV-2.

With the one outbreak, that's why I suggest HSV-1 is a possibility, yet it could still be HSV-2.

If you have a positive swab then barring a lab mix up, the result is pretty much definitive. (Only a low copy count PCR test may warrant some thinking.)

Also I been looking in this forum and almost well yea almost a lot says with hsv 2 they have a outbreak every two weeks , it’s july and I only had one outbreak I also been looking in the mirror to see if I do and I don’t but they said hsv 2 in my lab work 

I think it is still very few with HSV-2 that report outbreaks each 2 weeks - even in this extremely biased subset that become members of this site. 20% or more of people with HSV-2 never experience outbreaks!

Do not take for granted what is in the lab work if it is a culture, there is sometimes an assumption regarding HSV-2 and not explicit testing. A culture itself only detects HSV 1/2 and does not type.