Jump to content
World's Largest Herpes Support Group
allhereto

High dose (2grams/day) Valtrex suppressive therapy -long term

Recommended Posts

allhereto

I have constant cold sore outbreaks, and I've tried natural remedies with limited success (olive leaf extract, lysine supplements, zinc, and vit. c). I have also been on a suppressive dose of Valtrex for 6 months now - 500mg twice daily - still having back to back outbreaks. I  recently asked my doctor to let me increase my Valtrex dosage to 1,000mg twice daily for long-term suppression.  Is there any research to support a dosage this high every day/longterm for more effective outbreak control for oral or genital hsv?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus

Unfortunately the effect tops out at about 1g per day. Any excess is typically redundant.

What and where are these outbreaks? 

The focus probably needs to be on a form of you being immunocompromised. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hellohello111
6 hours ago, allhereto said:

I have constant cold sore outbreaks, and I've tried natural remedies with limited success (olive leaf extract, lysine supplements, zinc, and vit. c). I have also been on a suppressive dose of Valtrex for 6 months now - 500mg twice daily - still having back to back outbreaks. I  recently asked my doctor to let me increase my Valtrex dosage to 1,000mg twice daily for long-term suppression.  Is there any research to support a dosage this high every day/longterm for more effective outbreak control for oral or genital hsv?

Have you asked your doc for Denavir cream? It’s a topical for cold sores and is pretty awesome. You take that coupled with valtrex and you should be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hellohello111

Also, let’s dig a bit deeper. What’s your diet like? Exercise? Age? Are you immune compromised? What HSV do you have? How long have you had it? What did you do before valtrex? This will help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allhereto

Thanks, guys for the responses! I'm 38 years old, not immune compromised, and I have hsv 1 - cold sores under my nose and all around my lips...usually one blister per outbreak, and I never had outbreaks until about 6 years ago....although I know I was infected prior to that.  I also get genital HSV 1 outbreaks about twice/year. I eat fairly healthy (low carb), I do drink whey protein shakes, but the lysine/arginine ratio seems to be good; I also avoid common trigger foods. I walk about half an hour 4 days/week, and do yoga for about an hour once a week.  My  stress level is really high now due to my job and a recent break up, so I'm sure that is a contributing factor....I've been up to 1 year between outbreaks when my stress level was lower. Before Valtrex, I used Acyclovir 400 mg twice daily for suppressive therapy, and I can't really tell a difference in effectiveness. I did seem to have success with Thorne Olive Leaf extract 500 mg twice per day - helped keep me outbreak free for around a year - without any anti viral medication, but I had a genital outbreak after about a year and stop using it. Lysine at 3 grams per day may helped some, but didn't seem strong enough for me. Abreeva seems to help speed up healing time, but isn't particularly effective. I haven't tried Denavir cream....I may ask for that next. Anyways, thanks for the tips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
a1mbt

thats a high dose already dude. i agree your diet and supps may help. maybe yiou've build a tolerance?

also try copper sulphate, do some research on it, works very well for me

is it always recurring in the same places or it alternates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeHerp

There’s no evidence that vsltrex “tops out” at 1mg.

 

but the added benefit might only be marginal. Still, you can probably try it for a few week, maybe 1.5mg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roja
On 5/31/2018 at 2:15 AM, allhereto said:

Thanks, guys for the responses! I'm 38 years old, not immune compromised, and I have hsv 1 - cold sores under my nose and all around my lips...usually one blister per outbreak, and I never had outbreaks until about 6 years ago....although I know I was infected prior to that.  I also get genital HSV 1 outbreaks about twice/year. I eat fairly healthy (low carb), I do drink whey protein shakes, but the lysine/arginine ratio seems to be good; I also avoid common trigger foods. I walk about half an hour 4 days/week, and do yoga for about an hour once a week.  My  stress level is really high now due to my job and a recent break up, so I'm sure that is a contributing factor....I've been up to 1 year between outbreaks when my stress level was lower. Before Valtrex, I used Acyclovir 400 mg twice daily for suppressive therapy, and I can't really tell a difference in effectiveness. I did seem to have success with Thorne Olive Leaf extract 500 mg twice per day - helped keep me outbreak free for around a year - without any anti viral medication, but I had a genital outbreak after about a year and stop using it. Lysine at 3 grams per day may helped some, but didn't seem strong enough for me. Abreeva seems to help speed up healing time, but isn't particularly effective. I haven't tried Denavir cream....I may ask for that next. Anyways, thanks for the tips!

Have you tried stopping the whey protein drinks? 

Have your hormones been checked?

As you said, stress is a very common trigger for herpes. Maybe that's the key :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneyB
On 12/3/2018 at 10:58 AM, WilsoInAus said:

There is quite a bit of evidence that shows the performance of 1g a day is not bettered.

https://watermark.silverchair.com/39-Supplement_5-S258.pdf

The real trick is frequency of dosing as this increases the consistency of antiviral in the system.

Hi, Can you advise what you mean by 'frequency of dosing......' Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus
4 minutes ago, JaneyB said:

Hi, Can you advise what you mean by 'frequency of dosing......' Thanks. 

As the impact of the drug fades over time, the more 'doses' you have in a day improves the 'minimal' level in your system. Pragmatically two should be manageable, but technically 4 times would be a little better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneyB
30 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

As the impact of the drug fades over time, the more 'doses' you have in a day improves the 'minimal' level in your system. Pragmatically two should be manageable, but technically 4 times would be a little better.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • The Hive is Thriving!

    • Total Topics
      69,550
    • Total Posts
      468,417
  • Posts

    • Lulupazoola
      It is already a hassle getting started with making it.  I end up with more questions than I can find answers for, but stumble on...  I am retired so feel like my job is (finally) taking care of myself.  I have had few health issues, generally healthy--except for the H bomb.  If i have to make liposomal 2x a week, i dont think it will be a big deal.  The big deal is getting the equipment and getting started i think.  I make kombucha, which is sort of like having a not-very-demanding pet.  I dont mind doing this kind of stuff.  But will probably keep liposomal capsules or packets on hand for times when its inconvenient to make it. I cant believe u r sucking down 6 g of AA at a time!  The most i drink with AA is 2 g at a time.  I am currently taking 4 g AA and 9 g liposomal C in caps/packets. The protocol evolves.  I am so thrilled to not have BO's that i dont care what i have to do. They ruined my life.  I am glad u r finally getting good results with your fight against H.  Have u tried drinking the AA thru a straw with the straw toward the back of your mouth to avoid teeth?  I would think baking soda and water swished around in your mouth after drinking the AA would neutralize any remaining acid.  My teeth have pretty strong enamel, so i dont worry about it (but dont do 6 g AA at a time).  If u r worried about acid erroding tooth enamel, why arent u worried about 6 g of AA at a time going down the soft tissues of your esophagus and onward?  Im not saying its wrong, just wondering.   
    • Not sure what I’ve got
      Additionally to the above and to answer you question more precisely, it had been 12 days (probably more) before I started to get itchy (I could swear the rash started as insect bites, each very distinct - I am in a hostel so there is a chance it was bedbugs). Before that it had been a week or two.  I also had been cycling intensely in 35 plus degree heat (temps were around 38 degrees today. And the spot where the rash showed up is the exacts spot where my upper thigh rubs the seat. Finally, my clothes were washed by a laundry service, and the T-shirt I was wearing that was washed in the same load had been irritating my skin. 
    • WilsoInAus
      @Sabayou have no need to be concerned with genital herpes. Your symptoms are not those of herpes.  If you have concerns, seek out the type specific HSV testing.
    • readytostart
      https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/04/18/1806629/0/en/Global-Genital-Herpes-Treatment-Drugs-Market-Study-2019-Excellent-Product-Pipeline-Catering-Therapeutics-Vaccines-to-Bolster-Patient-Immunity-Such-as-GEN-003-and-VCL-HB01.html
    • readytostart
      Yes, really would be an improvement not have to Carry the burden of transmission...many people are researching cures and treatments, but sadly everything takes too much time
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.