World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sammie27

Been working out a lot and having more outbreaks

Sammie27

Ok this may seem strange but I've been working out 4 times a week. Pretty vigorous workouts including cycling classes. When I first contracted HSV 2 three years ago I wasn't working out and didn't have outbreaks as often as I am now. Seriously one sore goes away and here comes another. Is it from working out??

WannaCry

Sometimes the sweating and friction can make OBs occur more often. Try to immediately get out of workout clothing and into dry, loose clothing after working out and see if that helps reduce OBs.

Bkittany

I always try to shower and put on fresh clothes immediately after I hop off the bike.

Cas9

Exercising vigorously may encourage OBs in two possible ways in addition to what WannaCry has stated.

The first is something that I thought up on my own and is probably bunk. but I'll throw it out there anyway. That is, if the nerves required to move the legs (i.e. contract the leg muscles), comes from the nerve ganglion at the base of the spine, then perhaps the frequent firing of those nerve cells (i.e. when vigorously cycling), may encourage the virus to activate. In other words, the nerve cells are always trying to hold back the the virus from replicating, so when those nerve cells are firing at a high rate over an extended period of time it changes may change their chemical state, and consequently lessen their ability to keep the latent virus in check, thus allowing the virus to win out and start replicating. Just a long shot idea I had with no scientific basis. I used to get more OBs and more severe OBs when I jogged.

The other possibility and one that is more likely to be true is that vigorous exercise can actually run you down a bit, so your immune system may be temporarily weakened, encouraging an OB.

Lzk

I am trying less vigorous workouts as well to see if my obs simmer down. It sucks as I really would like to do weight/resistance training... but I’d rather not have obs either. 

Cas9
54 minutes ago, Lzk said:

I am trying less vigorous workouts as well to see if my obs simmer down. It sucks as I really would like to do weight/resistance training... but I’d rather not have obs either. 

When you do workout, make sure you relax, eat well, and drink water afterwards AND make sure you get a restful nights sleep. Sleep is very important whether you have hsv or not. Lots of important things happen when we sleep that are important to our health.

theuniversesucks

Yes mine gets way worse after every workout , it just ramps up 100% with the tingling , harder i push worse the tingling 

Feeling Normal Again
Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2018 at 10:38 PM, Sammie27 said:

Ok this may seem strange but I've been working out 4 times a week. Pretty vigorous workouts including cycling classes. When I first contracted HSV 2 three years ago I wasn't working out and didn't have outbreaks as often as I am now. Seriously one sore goes away and here comes another. Is it from working out??

Hormonal changes affect frequency in outbreaks.

Exercising (especially more intense workouts) causes hormonal changes.

Same reason athletic females usually have heavier menstrual cycles.

Section 3 talks about the triggers and reasons for recurring outbreaks (reactivation). I have no idea why, but link opens in section 8.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3159167/#S8title

Edited by Feeling Normal Again
Insert link and grammar

Sammie27

Thank you everyone. I do notice issues more when I cycle than other exercising. Probably the friction from sitting on the seat, Sucks. 

G77

I noticed when I first started working out ( before I got herpes) i used to get a lot of cold viruses when previously I only got 1 or 2 a year. I read that when you initially start working out, it can lower your immune system especially when it's vigorous exercise. This disappeared for me after around 9 months.