World's Largest Herpes Support Group
LeftCoast

Moving on. What’s happening with HSV529 vaccine?

oneday

Holy cow their website is a breath of fresh air! I hope they achieve what they set out to do. What's their origin anyone know? Was it initially University based research?

T9000
39 minutes ago, StayingUpbeat said:

The Betsy C. Herold, MD delta GD-2 vaccine is being pursued by a company called x-vax

https://x-vax.com/

preview-chat-x-vax_pipeline_graph-01-102

"We’ve begun to transfer the vaccine ∆gD-2 from the research lab to manufacturing facilities for further development and production, and to prepare for a Phase 1 clinical study."

Hey how did you find out about this?? I've been trying to find this particular kind of info forever!

StayingUpbeat
35 minutes ago, T9000 said:

Hey how did you find out about this?? I've been trying to find this particular kind of info forever!

The company's actually been around since 2015 (which is disheartening given the lack of any news since then).  If you keep an eye on where grants and venture capital are going relative to key researchers the companies backing specific research become exposed.

For example: back in 2015 the fact that Editas was the company that Drs. Cullen and Bloom were partnering with for HSV CRISPR research was exposed by a bio and several financial disclosures: https://honeycomb.click/topic/64634-pulling-the-thread-cullen-bloom-editas-medical/

T9000

Lol I have literally been sitting around lately thinking that we'd possibly never see a prophylactic vaccine trial again, and in the span of a few days I find out that not only is the friedman vaccine still potentially going to trials, but the einstein vaccine might be as well. What a world.

T9000
6 minutes ago, StayingUpbeat said:

It's kind of what I do.  The company's actually been around since 2015 (which is disheartening given the lack of any news since then).  If you keep an eye on where grants and venture capital are going relative to key researchers the companies backing specific research become exposed.

For example: back in 2015 the fact that Editas was the company that Drs. Cullen and Bloom were partnering with for HSV CRISPR research was exposed by a bio and several financial disclosures: https://honeycomb.click/topic/64634-pulling-the-thread-cullen-bloom-editas-medical/

Oh what a bummer. I had never heard of it before so I assumed it was new. Yeah that’s kind of what I figured, but I'm not willing to devote a ton of time and I'm not incredibly financially literate, so I guess I'll stay in the dark lol. Still though it's confuses me that I never stumbled across this when researching this vaccine. Anyway I guess the major point of interest is if a major pharma company actually buys the intellectual property, and if that were to happen, I assume it would be covered by the pharma news sites? Or are they able to keep that info secret until they choose to announce trials?

T9000
1 hour ago, oneday said:

Holy cow their website is a breath of fresh air! I hope they achieve what they set out to do. What's their origin anyone know? Was it initially University based research?

Yeah there isn't a ton of substance, but it's refreshing to see someone say "we want to to imagine a world without herpes", instead of whatever other stupid kinds of bullshit people want to say about it. Herpes is bad, and people should not have to live at it's mercy. I want to thank those people for just acknowledging it lol.

oneday

Totally agree why the hell in 2019 are people still living with it?? Should have well been eradicated 20 years ago and could have been if the same failed paths of research weren't re-explored time and time again. It's only wasted people's time, money and caused further heartache over living with this crap. No one ever deserves this. 

Cas9
12 minutes ago, oneday said:

Totally agree why the hell in 2019 are people still living with it?? Should have well been eradicated 20 years ago and could have been if the same failed paths of research weren't re-explored time and time again. It's only wasted people's time, money and caused further heartache over living with this crap. No one ever deserves this. 

Why should it have been eradicated 20 years ago?

T9000
13 minutes ago, oneday said:

Are you referring to vaccine research? I'm not super brushed-up on the history of it, but it seems like there hasn't been enough of it going on period. I dont know if eradication could have been possible by now, but what I do know is that valacyclovir is really just a reformulation of acyclovir, and there seems to be zero difference in efficacy between them. So essentially herpes treatment is in the exact same place as it was in the 80s. THE EIGHTIES. That's ridiculous. We would have been better off had they just left acyclovir as it was, and developed a new antiviral target like pritelivir back in the 80s/90s. I guess valacyclovir was basically just a money grab. It's ridiculous that a drug like that gets like, 12 years of patent exclusivity, and it's not even performing any better than the same drug it was reformulated from. But anyway, approaching 40 years, and still no difference in how infectious I am to a partner. I don't really understand how people can sit around this website and act like that's acceptable. I mean we literally might as well be living during the cold war years, at least there was better music being made.

Tired of waiting

T9000 you are totally correct. I just reached my 27 anniversary of having HSV, And during that time all that I have heard is Valcylovir is the gold standard.  Early on I volunteered for studies that  where to find a cure or permanent remission, only  tofind out that they were only really looking at the same old things: lets see if Valcylovir taken daily is better than when taken only when an out break happens, Vs taken on the odd Tuesday of the month Vs taking on a full moon Vs..... fill in the blank? I think they are still studying  some permutation of using this broken ass old drug? 

Its only within maybe the last 5 years that I have seen anything new being done, and even then it is has not been directed at HSV, Its been  directed at the chicken pox/ shingles  version of herpes. I guess that version is more sympathetic to the public  and board of directors at big Pharma. (well I'm grateful for that as i won that lottery at age 2).

It  just seems that with all of the hype and hysteria of AIDs/HIV ( I do not mean any disrespect to those victims, another shitty disease) , that the gateway infection of HSV would have been attacked first, thus avoiding  follow-on HIV infections.?  

Sorry for the rambling, its late where I am and the wisdom of Makers M is speaking.

I recently found this forum and really appreciate the information and opinionated  material presented here. 

MikeHerp

That's great, thanks for sharing.

Do you know the date of this presentation? 

MikeHerp

Thanks for sharing @StayingUpbeat.  It's good that they are making some progress on this vaccine.

I hope that all the vaccines, including the Louisiana Univ/ one, can make it into trials.  Then we'll have several shots on goal.

It's possible some of them might have some modest therapeutic benefit even.  

MikeHerp
3 hours ago, jeraldpeabody said:

@MikeHerp the company they have partnered with is this: https://x-vax.com/ looks promising! The video is from May 2018 :)

That's good.  i'm glad it's pretty recent.  I watched the whole video, and it sounded quite compelling.

I also noticed that it was suggested it might have some therapeutic value.  

jeraldpeabody

@MikeHerp yep! that'd be great right ?! maybe we should contact the x-vax company and see where they're at with it all ?! i wrote them an email yesterday but have not heard back! 

RNY18

""...We’ve begun to transfer the vaccine ∆gD-2 from the research lab to manufacturing facilities for further development and production, and to prepare for a Phase 1 clinical study."....

Edited by RNY18

RNY18

How many more years for anything ?

So frustrating ..

Edited by RNY18

jeraldpeabody

@RNY18 thats what i was emailing them about :D  i also asked them if they would confirm that it would be therapeutic too. Please feel free to contact them, the more of us that do so the more likely a response! 

RNY18

"

"..To realize our vision, we plan to gain commercial approval for the ∆gD-2 vaccine for the prevention of HSV type 1 and type 2. In addition, the potential for therapeutic application of the vaccine is under investigation..."

T9000
14 hours ago, Tired of waiting said:

T9000 you are totally correct. I just reached my 27 anniversary of having HSV, And during that time all that I have heard is Valcylovir is the gold standard.  Early on I volunteered for studies that  where to find a cure or permanent remission, only  tofind out that they were only really looking at the same old things: lets see if Valcylovir taken daily is better than when taken only when an out break happens, Vs taken on the odd Tuesday of the month Vs taking on a full moon Vs..... fill in the blank? I think they are still studying  some permutation of using this broken ass old drug? 

Its only within maybe the last 5 years that I have seen anything new being done, and even then it is has not been directed at HSV, Its been  directed at the chicken pox/ shingles  version of herpes. I guess that version is more sympathetic to the public  and board of directors at big Pharma. (well I'm grateful for that as i won that lottery at age 2).

It  just seems that with all of the hype and hysteria of AIDs/HIV ( I do not mean any disrespect to those victims, another shitty disease) , that the gateway infection of HSV would have been attacked first, thus avoiding  follow-on HIV infections.?  

Sorry for the rambling, its late where I am and the wisdom of Makers M is speaking.

I recently found this forum and really appreciate the information and opinionated  material presented here. 

Thanks I've actually been wanting to hear thoughts from someone who's had this for 20+ years. You've had this just about the same amount of time that I've been alive, and it shocks me to think that pretty much the entirety of my life has resulted in nothing tangible for herpes. In research and development years, 25-30 years isn't actually that long, but it's certainly enough time that they could have made an actual new antiviral available. I guess there just haven't been that many people working on herpes, which may be partially owed to aids, and then you add in all the ridiculous bullshit of the drug market, and you get this perfect storm of nothing happening. It's infuriating, and I honestly cannot imagine how people who've had it for 25 years like you must feel. I figure "well certainly they'll have a vaccine available in 20 years", but then I figure you guys must have thought that 20 years ago. And with the way this disease is treated by the medical community, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up going at least another 20 years without a vaccine. I totally understand why herpes isn't a target for HIV research, since HIV is still the root of the problem, and if you have unprotected sex with an hiv+ person enough, you'll end up with HIV whether you have herpes or not. But the fact that the diseases are linked makes me feel like you'd see *a little bit* more overlap of hiv research into herpes, since it's possible that a herpes vaccine could prevent a small amount of infections. I mean it's so obvious at this point that an HIV vaccine is going to be very difficult, and may not happen for a very long time, so why not try and exploit other, more feasible angles in the meantime? We already know that HSV is dangerous for people with AIDS, and it's probably killing a lot of people that have it or other immunity compromising diseases in poor countries. I guess the resources just aren't there, but it's hard not to get the impression that the aids community pays zero attention to herpes. This also could be said about the blindness community or ophthalmology in general. They're in really good position to garner public sympathy and try to raise money for herpes research, but it just doesn't seem to be happening. There's just no help from anywhere, and it's really disheartening.

Tired of waiting

Its been a very long haul for me and very depressing. out of fear of spreading the disease and rejection, I have been been single and celibate. Its really been a life sentence, more than I could ever have  imagined, especially the isolation, it  been pretty lonely, I really miss and longing recall waking up next to a person I cared for.  

Without being to cynical (or homophobic) it really seems that if I had a different sexual orientation, I would be part of group celebrated and championed for, rather than being ignored, ridiculed and part of movie or standup comics punch line.

yes, I would not be surprised that It might take another 20 years, especially after last nights state of the union address,  to find a HIV vaccine within 10 years.  Thats great news for HIV sufferers but bad new for HSV.   I suspect all  goverment research funds will be targeted to HIV, with nothing or token amounts being directed to HSV.  Then of course with the prioritizing of funding , I'm  sure researchers will postpone their HSV pursuits to get government funds for HIV research further delaying a vaccine.

20 years for me would most likely mean I'm already taking a dirt nap, so that that means i really have no hope for cure in my lifetime.   

I wish you better luck! 

Edited by Tired of waiting

Lost-hope

@Tired of waiting that’s not necessarily true and as disheartening as it may seem, there are still smaller companies doing research.... just because bigger companies maybe focused on HIV there is still hope.. all it takes is one breakthrough 

remember research is being done worldwide and not just in the states . Stay hopeful 

Miss Horne

I get why the world needs a prophylactic vaccine but I personally think hsv is one of these things people never think about or don’t care about until the actually get it.

I think we need a therapeutic vaccine more than we need a preventative one but that’s only because I’ve now got hsv.

4 and a half years ago I didn’t give a fuck about hsv or vaccines or any of this nonsense because it wasn’t a part of my life. See where I’m coming from? 

Edited by Miss Horne

vzhe
14 hours ago, Miss Horne said:

I get why the world needs a prophylactic vaccine but I personally think hsv is one of these things people never think about or don’t care about until the actually get it.

I think we need a therapeutic vaccine more than we need a preventative one but that’s only because I’ve now got hsv.

4 and a half years ago I didn’t give a fuck about hsv or vaccines or any of this nonsense because it wasn’t a part of my life. See where I’m coming from? 

a working preventative vaccine would mean that you wouldn't need to worry about spreading it to your partner(s). that's a normal sex life again right there. not a bad deal.