World's Largest Herpes Support Group
dmor24

Abandoned Genital Herpes Vaccine GEN-003 Found to Reduce Lesions

GotMeAtLast
Posted (edited)

Am I reading it right... They are gearing up for PHASE 3!??!

Maybe I am dreaming...

Despite positive phase 2 trial results, Genocea Biosciences, Inc, which developed GEN-003 decided to pull the plug on the vaccine last year. GEN-003 now appears under the “Partnering” section of Genocea’s website and is listed as “a Phase 3-ready investigational immunotherapy for the treatment of genital herpes infections.”

Edited by GotMeAtLast

dmor24

They are looking for partners. I emailed them last month and their response was:

Thank you for your interest in GEN-003, Genocea’s investigational immunotherapy aimed at boosting the immune system to better control the genital herpes virus and reduce the number and duration of outbreaks (lesions).

Genocea has successfully completed phase 2 clinical trials on GEN-003.  However, as a consequence of a strategic shift to immuno-oncology, the company has ceased activities on the GEN-003 program.  We are actively pursuing strategic alternatives in order to identify a partner to advance the program.

GotMeAtLast

I wish they would released their research to the wild for someone else to pick up if finding additional partners fail.

Shandawgs

Stupid question here, I have HSV-1 will this also help in my case if successful? 

Southwestrancher

Doesn't sound like a full cure anyway. To me that's no good. Any shedding at all is no good in my opinion. There's much better stuff going on. CRISPR, etc.

SCG

66% reduction in viral shedding and 65% reduction in lesions...how did they not get funding? 

That's by far the most successful herpes vaccine ever made. 

Pretty messed up.  

undertsun
2 hours ago, SCG said:

66% reduction in viral shedding and 65% reduction in lesions...how did they not get funding? 

Where did you found those results?

I remember when they published phase 2b results, placebo had better shedding reduction.

f*ckedOver

@Southwestrancher

With all due respect any positive news in the light of this virus is damn good news. I would gladly take something that would reduce symptoms by 2/3 for both shedding and lesions. I get nerve pain from this shit in my hands and now it's beginning in my feet. Anything to stop this monster would be great. 

Let's not forget that in 30% of the participants they had NO SYMPTOMS FOR 1 YEAR straight - what if you took that vaccine and that's what happened to you ? I bet you would be loving love about a 1000000000000 million times more.

I can't help but wonder what taking this vaccine would be like in combination with anti-viral therapy would be like ? For all we know maybe that combo would reduce the shedding rate so that it cannot be passed to another person.

HIV uses a cocktail and the CDC has came out and said HIV cannot be passed to others when you follow the REGIME 100%....just an example.  They found no evidence of virus in the blood of people taking the regime.....(last time I looked on the CDC for this information was about 3 months ago, so not sure if anything has changed ) .

Yes the ideal vaccine would do just what you pointed out and this vaccine is also a good indicator to where the scientists are headed....success. CRISPR has already shown to have hurdles and well, I don't know how much you actually know about the HSV virus, but it's actually the holy grail of viruses - it's essentially a virus master with many great features - hence why we still don't have a cure. I am not trying to sound rude or condescending, I am still reading and learning when I can. I love science but I hate this f*cking virus. 

lennyblastoff
13 minutes ago, f*ckedOver said:

@Southwestrancher

With all due respect any positive news in the light of this virus is damn good news. I would gladly take something that would reduce symptoms by 2/3 for both shedding and lesions. I get nerve pain from this shit in my hands and now it's beginning in my feet. Anything to stop this monster would be great. 

Let's not forget that in 30% of the participants they had NO SYMPTOMS FOR 1 YEAR straight - what if you took that vaccine and that's what happened to you ? I bet you would be loving love about a 1000000000000 million times more.

I can't help but wonder what taking this vaccine would be like in combination with anti-viral therapy would be like ? For all we know maybe that combo would reduce the shedding rate so that it cannot be passed to another person.

HIV uses a cocktail and the CDC has came out and said HIV cannot be passed to others when you follow the REGIME 100%....just an example.  They found no evidence of virus in the blood of people taking the regime.....(last time I looked on the CDC for this information was about 3 months ago, so not sure if anything has changed ) .

Yes the ideal vaccine would do just what you pointed out and this vaccine is also a good indicator to where the scientists are headed....success. CRISPR has already shown to have hurdles and well, I don't know how much you actually know about the HSV virus, but it's actually the holy grail of viruses - it's essentially a virus master with many great features - hence why we still don't have a cure. I am not trying to sound rude or condescending, I am still reading and learning when I can. I love science but I hate this f*cking virus. 

I feel the same with what you stated as well based on my research there are about 7 possible vaccines out there and only one of them is currently in clinical trial. My belief is in there is definitely a cure within the next decade or two based on two major factors imo. First the curing of HIV and secondly the efficiency of crispr and gene editing done in china this year.

valleynovascotia

I don't care what it is cure, therapeutic cure or treatment  as long as i don't have to say "ï have herpes'' then i'm all for  it but it sounds like I would still have too disclose with this. We deserve better than being stuck with this virus for life its both painful as hell physically and mentally plus for some of us it wrecks every potential relationship herpes is more than harmless for me.

HerpesDumbAf

If it can be treated like any other std and be cleared away like I don’t understand because with chlamydia and gonorrehea like you can cure it and still catch it tf I wish it was like that then the dumb ass pharma can still get their money

Divon
6 hours ago, HerpesDumbAf said:

If it can be treated like any other std and be cleared away like I don’t understand because with chlamydia and gonorrehea like you can cure it and still catch it tf I wish it was like that then the dumb ass pharma can still get their money

Well obviously herpes wouldn´t end just because there came a cure either. Especially not if that cure is a costly and time demanding procedure. It´s just that people love conspiracy theories and love saying things like "We are not getting cured because the world is corrupt."

HerpesDumbAf
15 minutes ago, Divon said:

Well obviously herpes wouldn´t end just because there came a cure either. Especially not if that cure is a costly and time demanding procedure. It´s just that people love conspiracy theories and love saying things like "We are not getting cured because the world is corrupt."

But the thing is I feel people with HIV is spending more money than people with herpes because they really have to take daily medication to not turn it into aids n die , like I see on Twitter that said “people think hiv is a death sentence” which it is if the daily medication isn’t took DAILY. We don’t have to take the medication. I feel this virus is bacterial in a way it may sound silly because you can’t die from this or any other sti which is why I’m still confuzzled ok why there isn’t a cure for this just like a bacterial infection, yea I understand it’s complicated but it’s just a matter of time before we get fed up and there’s chaos 

35hope
17 minutes ago, Divon said:

i see it more like government and FDA wants to get their kickback befor a company becomes rich when they produce a cure for some disease, thats how i feel about it, honestly even small companies can do clinical trials safely on their own with tens of thousands of dollars instead of tens of millions. 

Divon
Just now, HerpesDumbAf said:

But the thing is I feel people with HIV is spending more money than people with herpes because they really have to take daily medication to not turn it into aids n die , like I see on Twitter that said “people think hiv is a death sentence” which it is if the daily medication isn’t took DAILY. We don’t have to take the medication. I feel this virus is bacterial in a way it may sound silly because you can’t die from this or any other sti which is why I’m still confuzzled ok why there isn’t a cure for this just like a bacterial infection, yea I understand it’s complicated but it’s just a matter of time before we get fed up and there’s chaos 

What you are stumbling upon is that you are actually questioning whether herpes is an uncureable infection. The answer is, it is not. Your body cures it every time but it has the ability to hide where it can´t be detected or harmed by the immune system and then strike again. Many viruses have similar attributes but they tend to reoccur less often, which in turn removes their stigma. HIV however is incureable in it´s truest form and yes HIV is waaaay more expensive to treat. When you look at std databases HIV will go under "Very high" as treatment cost while herpes will go as low. I might add that this is why I keep saying that NO herpes does not need to be CURED, it only needs to be suppressed and if you think that achieving that is unreachable for science, you are delusional.

HerpesDumbAf
33 minutes ago, Divon said:

What you are stumbling upon is that you are actually questioning whether herpes is an uncureable infection. The answer is, it is not. Your body cures it every time but it has the ability to hide where it can´t be detected or harmed by the immune system and then strike again. Many viruses have similar attributes but they tend to reoccur less often, which in turn removes their stigma. HIV however is incureable in it´s truest form and yes HIV is waaaay more expensive to treat. When you look at std databases HIV will go under "Very high" as treatment cost while herpes will go as low. I might add that this is why I keep saying that NO herpes does not need to be CURED, it only needs to be suppressed and if you think that achieving that is unreachable for science, you are delusional.

Hell just treat the transmission like shit tbh like think about it I mean if they make a vaccine that’s like 65% reduce shedding then taking the meds can reduce it more if you’re having sex like I’ll be happy with that 

Divon
10 hours ago, HerpesDumbAf said:

Hell just treat the transmission like shit tbh like think about it I mean if they make a vaccine that’s like 65% reduce shedding then taking the meds can reduce it more if you’re having sex like I’ll be happy with that 

yes of course but gen 003 is far from proven to reduce as much as 65%.

HerpesDumbAf
17 minutes ago, Divon said:

yes of course but gen 003 is far from proven to reduce as much as 65%.

): well I need one of these organizations to hurry like I really wish I caught this at an older age like 25 than 18 rn

Divon
On 7/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, HerpesDumbAf said:

): well I need one of these organizations to hurry like I really wish I caught this at an older age like 25 than 18 rn

yeah thats what I keep telling myself too. I cant even begin to describe how little I would care about this if I just got it at around 40.

HerpesDumbAf
24 minutes ago, Divon said:

yeah thats what I keep telling myself too. I cant even begin to describe how little I would care about this if I just got it at around 40.

Right life damn near over idec if I got is after 21 like ughhhhh I could have got this at 22 I would be fine 

GotMeAtLast
1 hour ago, Divon said:

It still sucks for those of us in our 40's. Granted you will have to deal with it a lot longer than I, but it still sucks.

Ashley738
Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, HerpesDumbAf said:

Right life damn near over idec if I got is after 21 like ughhhhh I could have got this at 22 I would be fine 

22 is still too young. That’s the age I’m at now and my life is just fucking starting. 

Edited by Ashley738

brookeb300
4 minutes ago, Ashley738 said:

22 is still too young. That’s the age I’m at now and my life is just fucking starting. 

Any age is too young for herpes 

Just now, brookeb300 said:

Any age is too young for herpes 

I was 34 and it felt too young

HerpesDumbAf
24 minutes ago, Ashley738 said:

Nope because once I turned 22 I could settle down but now it’s like damn I’m forced to settle down and I’m not fw it