World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Jinglebell25

Outbreak and Sex

Jinglebell25

Hi All - 

I was diagnosed with GHSV1 six months ago. I take Valtrex daily but I think I’m having an outbreak. 

My initial outbreak was terrible, but this has only caused minor discomfort. Prior to this outbreak I had a pretty severe yeast infection that made my vagina feel raw. I used OTC medication and seemed to have cleared it. I scratched when I had it (I know that’s not the best idea for a lot of reasons but this was BAD). 

Since I was generally healed, I had sex with my partner with a condom. I felt some areas that seemed “raw” as we started to get into it but figured I had scraped myself scratching and was still a little yeasty maybe. The location was right where I remember scratching the most.

The scrapes didn’t heal so I called my doctor who said at this point a GHSV1 on Valtrex would be extremely rare. But after talking more she said to treat is as an OB and up the Valtrex since there’s no harm in that and she sort of revised her opinion leaning more toward an OB. I haven’t changed anything in my lifestyle and I regularly do things that should cause OBs (drink alcohol, don’t get enough sleep, etc.) and none have happened to this point so I thought I was pretty much in the clear and further supported my scrape theory. She offered to swab it to find but they didn’t have an appointment until next week when it will probably be healed either way. 

My question is, with the condom, if this was an outbreak, how likely am I to have infected my partner? The doctor said the risk is very low with a condom, but other stats show the opposite. The “scrapes” or “sores” are not near the opening of the vagina. They are more where oral sex would be concentrated (I was infected from someone with a cold sore through oral sex). 

Thanks for the input! It’s great to have this resource, where there are real people who have real experience with this issue and lived with this pain-in-the-ass infection! 

Just-a-diagnoses

Because you used a condom I wouldn't panic, I honestly think you are fine.  Though I have heard other stories, I know other people who have had sex with a condom when the sore was healing (wasn't completley healed and still open) and she did not pass it to her partner.  Usually an infected person will show some sign or symptom in 2 weeks after exposure...even a very small sore.  I would say if there is nothing in 2-4 weeks...you can rest easy. 

WilsoInAus

@Jinglebell25is this the partner you were with when you had your first outbreak? Does he get oral cold sores?

Jinglebell25
15 hours ago, Just-a-diagnoses said:

Because you used a condom I wouldn't panic, I honestly think you are fine.  Though I have heard other stories, I know other people who have had sex with a condom when the sore was healing (wasn't completley healed and still open) and she did not pass it to her partner.  Usually an infected person will show some sign or symptom in 2 weeks after exposure...even a very small sore.  I would say if there is nothing in 2-4 weeks...you can rest easy. 

Good to know. Thanks!

Jinglebell25

@WilsoInAus No - he is not the partner who infected me. I asked him if he had ever had a cold sore but he said no. He knows about the virus but I hadn’t had the outbreak when I mentioned it. I’m debating if it’s worth stressing him out for the next few weeks to let him know I was beginning one when we last had sex. Conveniently, I’m off sex due to my period so he hasn’t seemed suspicious of that. 

ManagingIllness

Don't mention anything. For most people, if they get the virus they have no symptoms. Just be careful, use 500mg valacyclovir daily if you can. He might also benefit from taking this drug, too. It's not built to be prophylactic, but it has serious potential in this regard.