World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Sadhiker

I tried....and failed with a leading medical researcher

Sadhiker

Talked to Dr. Judy Lieberman at Harvard University studying RNA interference that could potentially block herpes transmission to new partners.  This is really, really, old research (reference Click here ) from 2006.  The idea behind it is creating a microbicide that you could use prior to sexual activity that would protect you and your unifected partner from herpes transmission.  

So far, she's done studies on humanized mice and successfully protected them from contracting genital herpes using the small interfering RNA technique.  She attempted to find a commercial partner to develop a drug, but didn't get any leads.  This is back from 2007.  Then her research was redirected towards AIDS and ultimately cancer from the NIH grants she was receiving. 

That brings us to present day....I contacted her and asked if she'd be willing to restart the herpes work.  By the way, she is a very nice, responsive doctor who is very sympathetic towards people with herpes.  She currently doesn't have any resources she could dedicate to continuing the research.  Basically 1-2 years of conducting preclinical safety trials, gathering and completing FDA paperwork, etc. She did tell me that if I found a biotech firm with a lab or startup interested in taking over the research she would be interested in selling her intellectual property. 

So, since I'm not a venture capitalist or a biotech company I'm at a dead end.  There are two competing microbicide developers for herpes out there right now (that I know of): Starpharma (Vivagel) and Leafbio (currently undergoing phase 1 clinical trials for a monoclonal vaginal antibody film) but using different technologies.

Wanted to give you an update in case some other crazy wants to contact her. 

Sanguine108
2 hours ago, Sadhiker said:

She did tell me that if I found a biotech firm with a lab or startup interested in taking over the research she would be interested in selling her intellectual property. 

lol, that sums it up for me.

Quest
Posted (edited)

She wants to sell research that she got grants or was paid to do? How altruistic and nobel of her.

Thanks for your work on this! :two_hearts:

Edited by Quest

Sadhiker
8 hours ago, Quest said:

She wants to sell research that she got grants or was paid to do? How altruistic and nobel of her.

Thanks for your work on this! :two_hearts:

Yeah, I guess she could've just said I've done my due diligence and don't need to worry about actually applying my research to something.  Tech push is a pain. 

Quest

Ya never know she could have a change of heart and hand it over to someone like Halford (who really cared about our wellbeing) That is not to say she doesn't care in her own way.

Sadhiker
1 hour ago, Quest said:

Ya never know she could have a change of heart and hand it over to someone like Halford (who really cared about our wellbeing) That is not to say she doesn't care in her own way.

I think she does care, but she also wants her lab to survive, ie money to keep doing research. She told me she got a lot of resources from the NIH for AIDS and cancer, so that's who we're competing with. 

Quest

Some people with HSV are crippled with depression, but that's not anything that they see or hear about. All over the world people want to lay on someone and make sweet love, but they have caged themselves.

Are there really all these scientists holding back information saying show me the money?!?!? Cancer and AIDS will always have money. That's another example of us getting left behind and we are used to it. 

Makes me sad because I work hard just to stay well, but when are my friends in here that are worse off get a break??

Sadhiker

True, I'm still trying to figure out why AIDS has more money when there's clearly more people in the world infected with herpes.  Don't give me the "it has worse symptoms than herpes" argument because I bet there are lots of celebs and well off people who will pay top dollar for a herpes cure.  I can see why solving cancer would be more of a big deal, since treatment is way more expensive and there are lots of people with cancer, including children.