World's Largest Herpes Support Group
NewToTheHive

Pain and discharge

NewToTheHive

I have been in TERRIBLE pain since Monday (when I noticed lesions. The were already ulcers at that point, no fluid filled blisters). I went to the doctor finally yesterday and am on my 4th dose of acyclovir (she has me taking 400mg TID) and have been using lidocaine gel she gave me, and taking aleeve, but I am still in god aweful pain! It hurts to sit, it hurts to stand, it hurts to lay, it hurts to pee.  I just want to know how long I should expect to be dealing with this pain.

next, the discharge. I’ve had uncontrollable watery discharge since Monday also. Yellowish in color (sometimes blood tinged) and has a slight odor. When I woke up this morning and walked to the bathroom, the discharge gushed down my leg (I slept without panties to air things out)... but this morning it was milky white in color (still watery) and was very foul smelling. I immediately showered, and actually douched with warm water (it was really uncomfortable but I needed to get rid of the smell because I work today). Since then, the discharge has returned to a yellowish grey color, has actually seemed to thicken up a little, and is back to just having a slight odor. 

Anyone know anything about this or have experience with it? Everything I’ve read says to wear loose and airy clothing, but I have to wear maxipads right now. One, for the discharge, and two, because it offers a little padding when I sit

Rubycloud

I am not a doctor! But you may have BV Bacterial Vaginosis or Trichomoniasis they have really bad (fishy rotten) smelling discharge. When I had it,  my tampon was green. No lie. I thought I was going to rot inside. 

All you need is antibiotics. Have your doctor test for sti's. All of them. They are both a result of a sexually transmitted infection. Men don't have symptoms and pass it along without knowing. Especially if they have lots of partners. But just one will do it. If the male doesn't also get treatment. You'll just keep getting it. 

I'm sorry about your pain. I honestly push it away. Keep busy. Don't focus on it. Don't feed it with your attention. I know. Easy to say. Or alcohol. Or vicodin.  I doubt a doctor will prescribe it. 

You've gor maybe 2 or 3 more days of pain from the HSV. They other 2 can also cause some pain. But mild cramping like pain. 

Get yourself to the doctors. Get on some antibiotics. And get your partner treated. Oh, and you will have passed it to anyone since your encounter with whomever gave it to you. So anyone girl or boy you've been intimate with will be carrying it and needs treatment.  The doctor will tell you what to do. 

Maybe a cool compress. On the outside of clothing. And not too hard. Herpes hurts. 

I am sorry you are in pain.

G77

I had the same discharge with my initial outbreak. Bathe in a salt bath everyday and it eventually goes away after maybe 10 days or so. 

NewToTheHive

@Rubycloud I did go to the doctor, which is where I was told that I had herpes. I asked for a full panel of everything (I even got kind of rude with her and said, “and when I say I want to be tested for everything, I mean EVERYTHING!!!! apparently I can’t stress that enough since you’ve never tested me for EVERYTHING even though I’ve asked you to every time I’ve been tested since I was 18 years old!!” ....so if I have anything else, she should be able to tell me what it is. I’m so angry with her. I hope she freaking gets herpes. Maybe if she felt the pain I have she would understand how bad her negligence to do what I ask has effected my life 

WilsoInAus

You may be right that there is inadequate education regarding STD/STIs. However the situation is a little more complex.

Lesson one should begin with that there is no such thing as 'everything'. Testing is only for those bacteria and viruses that are asymptomatic or at least often asymptomatic initially. Why? Because if you can get to a doctor for a test then you can get to the doctor with symptomatic issues that are observable, identifiable and treatable. Hence when you and doctors say 'everything' then they mean 'everything asymptomatic'.

This applies to herpes. Being a symptomatic virus upon infection, then you go to the doctor for swabs, blood tests and healing assistance.

How has not having a herpes test impacted you? How would having a negative herpes test changed thing?

NewToTheHive

I’ve been told people can be infected and by asymptotic for years! Meaning they can unknowingly pass it on, just like with other asymptotic STD’s. I think this is even MORE important of a potentially asymptotic std to test for. I mean since it’s not curable, and the others atleast are @WilsoInAus and since I get screened and make sure My partners get screened prior to intimacy, if this was something they tested for ;which I always thought it was) I would have known one of my partners was infected prior to engaging into an intimate relationship..,so it actually would change everything 

WilsoInAus

People are generally not asymptomatic upon infection, they just don't align the symptoms with herpes.

But 70% or more of the population has oral HSV-1 for example. That does raise a few critical questions:

- what would YOU do if you knew a partner had oral HSV-1?
- what would YOU wish to happen if you had oral HSV-1 and disclosed to a partner?
- what ought ONE do if they know a partner has oral HSV-1?

NewToTheHive

I would take precautions.  I wouldn’t mind just having oral hsv1. So kissing wouldn’t be s problem with me unless they have sores. Ive read that the transmission rates for oral hsv1 is very low without a sore present and even so if I got it orally, and knew it, precautions would be taken before I gave someone oral sex.. As far as oral sex goes,  as a receiver, I could totally live without it.  

If my tests come back as oral hsv1, then that means I got it from receiving oral sex. If herpes was a part of screening, and my partner and I both knew he had it, I would just have avoided receiving oral all together. But now I have a Genital strand, which is more limiting as far as intimacy and I can promise is much more painful. If they would have tested me and My partner for this when we asked for everything, or if we were atleast told herpes testing wasn’t included, we would have requested to have gotten tested for that too (although again, asking for everything should be self explanatory), and I would have known he was positive and wouldn’t have a crotch that hurts so bad ide literally rather take a knife to it and cut my lady bits out.  And it’s not a situation where I can learn for next time because I’m stuck with this forever. 

Its total negligence to not inform people that when they ask to be tested for everything, that they’re not being screened for a potentially asymptotic disease that causes extreamly painful genital ulcers, that you can never get rid of.  Shit ide rather be tested for herpes than clamydia, gonnorhea, trichomoniasis, bacterial vagenosis.... any of those. I’ve always considered HIV, genital warts, and herpes to be the WORST stds you can get, because you can’t change it once it’s done. I’ve told a few close friends about what’s happening with me, and they all freaked out... they all thought they’ve been being tested for herpes this whole time too 

Coco L

I could not agree more!  I, too, always requested a full panel done for both myself and my partner prior to any relationship.  Unbeknownst to me herpes is not included in that panel.  This seems criminal.  Makes me sick because I always thought I was being so responsible.  Now I have to pay the price because the medical community has neglected to share this information.   I feel deceived.