World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Anon222

Stressed. Still waiting on labs

Anon222

Earlier this week on Monday I noticed 2 little red bumps under the head of my penis on the backside. I waited to see if they went away until today because I have been worried they might be herpes. 

I haven’t had sex since June 20th (haven’t so much as touched a girl since then), I don’t have any pain or tingling, and no burning when urinating or any flu like symptoms. I did have unprotected sex with a few girls earlier this year around January, I got an STD test in February that came back negative for everything but herpes was not tested for some reason. I’ve never noticed these red bumps before until now. 

I went to a near by urgent care to get tested and the first thing the PA who saw me said was that it looked like herpes. This really felt terrible. He swabbed the bumps and drew blood to get an igg test done. I won’t hear the results until Wednesday but I’m very worried. I keep thinking about how this will be for the rest of my life and no girl will ever want to be near me again, and that I won’t be able to have kids because I’m scared of passing this onto them.

Sorry to rant, I just feel like there’s no one I can even talk to about this 

Quest

I am sorry you are going through this and sometimes even now I feel the sting of loneliness, but I am sure there is a neat girl for you.

I personally would be looking for a future partner (if I lost my love)who would also be HSV 2 positive in HSV singles.

It is only a life sentence if you want it to be! I know that seems unrealistic right now but not all of us have given up on life! Sometimes it's difficult and I would have to say most times it's very manageable. Pick yourself up and dust yourself off! If you have to, get on antidepressants temporarily? If you can't sleep try some phosphatidyl serine it will lower cortisol and allow you to not be so stressed!

Keep your chin up!!! :squeeze:there is life after a herpes diagnosis.

Anon222

Thanks quest. I just got my phone call back from the urgent care and they confirmed my labs said I have herpes. Feeling pretty bummed right now but I have been reading a lot of stuff on this website the past few days which has made me feel a little bit better about it seeing people’s success stories but it still hurts pretty badly.

I wish I knew who gave it to me and for how long I’ve had it since my timeline doesn’t add up for a typical first outbreak. Not really sure where to go from here, feels like my whole life has just been changed. 

WilsoInAus

I think you need to get hold of all the test results before thinking on things too much. 

Do you have oral cold sores? Most people test positive for HSV-1 from an oral infection acquired in childhood for example.

Stay curious on this one!

Quest

Which kind and what were your numbers?

Anon222

I am going to go pick up my lab paperwork tomorrow. I only had sores on my penis. They said the swab confirmed I have HSV-2. But my igg blood test said I have both HSV-1 and HSV-2. I don’t know my numbers yet but I’ll report back tomorrow.

WilsoInAus

The paperwork will indeed provide all the clarity you need.

There is some sense in you also having a childhood oral HSV-1 infection. This is because the immune system for HSV-1 can take a significant edge off the symptoms should a HSV-2 infection occur. So much so that you may have missed the symptoms that accompanied the infection when it occurred - which may have been long before January for example.

Anon222
Posted (edited)

That’s interesting, thanks Wilso. The whole situation has been very confusing to me. I have been trying to think of a time where maybe I had a primary outbreak. In March I had protected sex/unprotected oral a few times with a girl and a few days after being with her I had what I thought was strep throat (they ended up testing me for strep and mono and both came back negative). I’m not sure if that adds up to flu like symptoms. I also never noticed any bumps during that time. Otherwise I can’t ever think of a time where I had any symptoms resembling herpes, even after my screw ups in January. 

I will post my numbers tomorrow. Like I said the posts I have read on here are comforting. I’m sure that will change whenever I try to date again and actually have to face the reality of my situation. Another thing that is hard for me right now is do I disclose this to my friends. My friends and I like to go out and drink quite a bit and I’m reading that’s no good for herpes outbreaks so I feel like they are going to think I’m weird if I turn them down to go out or they start asking why my dating life has suddenly stopped. Guess these are just things I need to figure out with time.

Edited by Anon222

WilsoInAus

They are not the flu like symptoms being referred to. They include things like: swollen glands, general tiredness, back pain feelings - all quite lower region focussed. However these tend not to be experienced by people who already have HSV-1. 

Note that a primary outbreak refers to your first infection with either type 1 or 2. Infection with the other type is termed an 'initial infection'. You'll see a lot of commentary dealing with a primary infection, such as it being highly likely to be symptomatic with flu-like symptoms etc. This does not apply to the same degree to an initial infection of the other type.

Anon222

Obviously there’s still a lot I have to learn about this virus. Is that why so many people have HSV-2 but are unaware of it (80% or whatever the number is)? Can you have an initial infection and no symptoms at all if you already had HSV-1 since childhood? Is it possible I’ve had this for over a year? I feel pretty awful because there’s quite a few girls I could have passed this to, though I’ve never heard any of them mention to me that they had any symptoms. 

I know my dad used to get cold sores, he hasn’t had one in quite a while though. So I probably did get HSV-1 as a kid. 

WilsoInAus

I’ve got some more points, but before going into that, where roughly are you and what demographic? (South American, African American etc.)

Quest

You are correct, most people don't know they have it! I didn't until I insisted on testing. Some don't break out and are carriers. The virus also gets weaker as it is passed on.

G77

When I had my first and second outbreak of genital hsv1, I had a weird thing happen with my throat.  The first time which was 2 days before the sores appeared, I woke up in the night unable to breath because my throat felt like it had closed up. The second time it happened it was the same thing but much milder. 

Anon222

Just picked up my paperwork, here are the results 

HSV Culture was positive for type 2

HSV-1 IgG 37.40 (positive >1.09)

HSV-2 IgG 1.02 (equivocal .91-1.09)

Quest
Posted (edited)

That's an equivocle not positive or negative, and there are a bunch of false positives in HSV2.

I want to tell you that when I received my paperwork back for hsv-2 swab my paperwork was red but when I read what it said it didn't match what the nurse said. The nurse said it was positive but when I got the paperwork back it said they were not able to grow a culture from the sample given which means that is negative.

Can you tell us what your paperwork says? Just to make sure.

Edited by Quest

Anon222

For my culture it says “comment” under the result and the comment is “positive for herpes simplex virus 2. Typing was confirmed by monoclonal antibody microscopic immunofluorescence”

For my IgG test it says “positive” under the result but “negative” under the range. Then there are 2 comments which are confusing. One is “Indicates the presence of detectable IgG antibodies to HSV-2” and the other is “Unable to confirm the presence of IgG antibodies to HSV-2. Recommend retesting in 2-4 weeks”

Also under Flag it lists A for both which I’m assuming is antibodies? I’m honestly kind of confused by these results. 

Le_sigh

I was recently diagnosed with HSV2 over 2 weeks ago. I started having symptoms 4 days after my 40th birthday. I slept with someone I used to date the day after my birthday. We had a conversation about our sexual history prior to this and he said he had been tested over a month ago after his last relationship (she had been cheating) he said everything came back negative. Well flash forward a few days, I've also been in a casual relationship with someone else for the past 6 months and I start to feel a burning during intercourse. Thinking it's just irritation from razor burn. The next day I have a number of bumps and swelling with painful urination. I start having fevers and feeling a general malaise each day. I made a doctors appointment immediately. I told her based on the symptoms, I wanted to be tested. She ordered bloodwork (IGg test) and did a culture of the bumps. A week goes by, and I received an email of my test results, and the antibody test was negative for HSV 1 & 2. I missed a call from the doctors office that Friday and noticed when I picked up another RX that evening, that Valtrex was awaiting me. I'm baffled. Fevers are worse, my nether regions are on fire and now I'm researching strep online and thinking that's the cause. I email my doctor on Saturday asking for antibiotics and inquiring about the Valtrex. She emails me last Sunday morning stating that although the antibody test was negative, my culture was positive and this means it's a recent exposure and start the Valtrex right away. 

I then had to tell the guy I've been seeing that I may have exposed him. I know I'm not the first nor will I be the last but that was one of the hardest conversations I've ever had. I'm kicking myself for believing someone else, sleeping with them and being ignorant to how these tests work. He was obviously recently exposed as well and he never said a culture was done or complained of any symptoms. 

I care deeply for the person that I've been seeing. He's not in a place where he's ready for a relationship and if he had been, I know I wouldn't have slept with someone else

He thinks he's in the clear and states he'll get tested when he gets around to it but in the meantime, he told me that it's the end of the road for us being intimate because if he doesn't have it, he doesn't want it.

I can't shake the feeling that I'm now tainted meat after that conversation and I've ruined any chances of having a more serious relationship with him.

Quest
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anon222 said:

For my culture it says “comment” under the result and the comment is “positive for herpes simplex virus 2. Typing was confirmed by monoclonal antibody microscopic immunofluorescence”

For my IgG test it says “positive” under the result but “negative” under the range. Then there are 2 comments which are confusing. One is “Indicates the presence of detectable IgG antibodies to HSV-2” and the other is “Unable to confirm the presence of IgG antibodies to HSV-2. Recommend retesting in 2-4 weeks”

Also under Flag it lists A for both which I’m assuming is antibodies? I’m honestly kind of confused by these results. 

Your culture is positive for HSV 2 and your body has not yet produced enough antibodies. Making this a negative on production of antibodies at this time and your body is probably in the process of making antibodies for future outbreaks and you may never have an outbreak again. Your body made take care of it. Most people's outbreak will be the worst at first and if they are small outbreaks they may never see one again until their immune system goes way down.

If you have an excellent naturopathic doctor in your area especially one who specializes in drugs and Natural Therapy. I would go to one. At this point is the point that they believe that they can get rid of the virus when it is Young And barely starting out in the body. DO.s are usually perfect for this. There is a member in here who talks about that and maybe you can get an internet appointment with her doctor.

Edited to add I will look for her comment and her name. I remember she comes on here often. if nothing else you can do my naturopathics protocol if you wish to go that direction. I will give you the protocol some of it is expensive and the majority is not

Edited by Quest

Quest
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Le_sigh said:

I was recently diagnosed with HSV2 over 2 weeks ago. I started having symptoms 4 days after my 40th birthday. I slept with someone I used to date the day after my birthday. We had a conversation about our sexual history prior to this and he said he had been tested over a month ago after his last relationship (she had been cheating) he said everything came back negative. Well flash forward a few days, I've also been in a casual relationship with someone else for the past 6 months and I start to feel a burning during intercourse. Thinking it's just irritation from razor burn. The next day I have a number of bumps and swelling with painful urination. I start having fevers and feeling a general malaise each day. I made a doctors appointment immediately. I told her based on the symptoms, I wanted to be tested. She ordered bloodwork (IGg test) and did a culture of the bumps. A week goes by, and I received an email of my test results, and the antibody test was negative for HSV 1 & 2. I missed a call from the doctors office that Friday and noticed when I picked up another RX that evening, that Valtrex was awaiting me. I'm baffled. Fevers are worse, my nether regions are on fire and now I'm researching strep online and thinking that's the cause. I email my doctor on Saturday asking for antibiotics and inquiring about the Valtrex. She emails me last Sunday morning stating that although the antibody test was negative, my culture was positive and this means it's a recent exposure and start the Valtrex right away. 

I then had to tell the guy I've been seeing that I may have exposed him. I know I'm not the first nor will I be the last but that was one of the hardest conversations I've ever had. I'm kicking myself for believing someone else, sleeping with them and being ignorant to how these tests work. He was obviously recently exposed as well and he never said a culture was done or complained of any symptoms. 

I care deeply for the person that I've been seeing. He's not in a place where he's ready for a relationship and if he had been, I know I wouldn't have slept with someone else

He thinks he's in the clear and states he'll get tested when he gets around to it but in the meantime, he told me that it's the end of the road for us being intimate because if he doesn't have it, he doesn't want it.

I can't shake the feeling that I'm now tainted meat after that conversation and I've ruined any chances of having a more serious relationship with him.

How does he know it wasn't him who gave it to you? I would suspect your recent be partner. How much time progressed between the two? Was it the 6 months? If so I would suspect it's your new partner? Ask to see the first guys paperwork because a lot of times is STD's are done and HSV 1 and 2 are left out of the panel of testing

Edited by Quest

Le_sigh
9 minutes ago, Quest said:

How does he know it wasn't him who gave it to you? I would suspect your recent be partner. How much time progressed between the two? Was it the 6 months? If so I would suspect it's your new partner? Ask to see the first guys paperwork because a lot of times is STD's are done and HSV 1 and 2 are left out of the panel of testing

@Quest I've been continually seeing the second guy mentioned for over 6 months up until I told him about the test results last Sunday but I slept with the first guy mentioned, one time 2 weeks ago, just a few days prior to the symptoms starting. I agree and I'm definitely asking to see both of their test results. 

Quest

Smart gal! Good luck and don't let it get you down! You will need to find something to keep your mind busy and make sure you get plenty of sleep and the stress will cause a breakout so do your best to stay calm and if you have to go on the internet and do some guided meditation!

Anon222
Posted (edited)

@Quest So I absolutely do have HSV-2 then? And it’s fairly recent? Is it likely the last girl I slept with in June who gave it to me? Should I still do a retest in a few weeks? I’m just confused about my timeline for this whole thing as well, but I guess that is explained because I already have HSV-1 antibodies in my body? 

And I’m not familiar with naturopathic medicine but I would appreciate your regiment for sure.

Also yesterday when they called they prescribed me 7 days of valtrex. I went and picked it up but is there even any reason to take it at this point? I have had this now for 11 days and my symptoms have been really mild I’m not experiencing any pain or anything. Is it better to just let my body build up the antibodies?

Edited by Anon222

Quest
Posted (edited)

I would not test soon. Let yourself build antibodies which is 12 wks. I would make sure I had it. For example 70% of people will test positive on the IGG for antibodies at 5 weeks. Yes I would ask her to get tested. She probably doesn't know she has it and is just a carrier. That is true for a lot of people and it happened to me. I am just lucky I have not passed it on. If she denies it or doesn't show you her paperwork don't worry about it and just let it go.

Edited to add 

If I had to guess, you would not be symptomatic after 6 months to a year. Much sooner if you are actively working on your immune system.

It may not have come from her. We just never know. Seems like a good amount of time to be barely breaking out is it possible that you were carrying it all along and have gone through some sort of stress or anger or challenge with sickness?

Edited by Quest
Your body will build up antibodies either way. Not a bad idea to save it for a rainy day. Understand that it might not happen again though. If you take the medicine, it will automatically get rid of the antibodies, but that does not matter