World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
why4

confusing test results

why4

Was diagnosed in late June and am shocked and curious about my apparently odd results. Went to my PCP on 6/18 for yearly testing and pap and also what I thought was a tear from sex. My results came in later that week on 6/22 and I was diagnosed through a pap saying the pathologist recognized abnormal and HSV cells and everything else came back normal/negative. The same day I found out the results of the pap I had my blood drawn for both HSV 1/2 IGG and both came back completely negative. 

Two weeks later on 7/5 I went back for retesting at the same lab and test and HSV 1 came back negative and HSV 2 came back at 3.9 H. I also went back a third time 2 weeks later and HSV 1 was still negative and HSV 2 went down a little bit to 3.6 H. My doctor said this is a huge jump in such a short time and one she had never seen before.

I could have had two possible exposures. One was back in late April and it was very short and we used a condom except he took it off at the end. The second encounter was June 6th and we slept together unprotected quite a few times until the 16th.

The 3 weeks following the guy in April I had insane UTI pain and discharge but did not notice any blisters but could've easily overlooked it with the UTI pain (it was the worst pain I have ever experienced). I finally went to an urgent care after 3 weeks and it went away with antibiotics. I didn't notice anything odd after the second guy until the tear and the week I got diagnosed. The week of the 18th I felt flu-like symptoms and a few other odd symptoms such as minimal discharge and UTI pain and then I noticed 3 small blisters by the end of the week. I was also extremely stressed and not sleeping much at all so not sure if they were actually flu-like symptoms or just sleep deprivation. 

I have been told by numerous doctors that the guy from June is the most possible option as to who infected me.  Both guys said they got tested and both claim to be of course negative. 

It has been stressing me out sooo much as to who infected me and the timing and symptoms could be very possible for either. The first IGG test that came back negative would have been 8 weeks since the first guy and 2 weeks since the second guy and the high results on the second test would have been at the 10 and 4 week mark.  

Has anyone else seen or had such a large jump in just short of 2 weeks? I've read that if you're negative for HSV 1 then you can build antibodies quicker but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Or a result that high at just 4 weeks since first exposure and 2 since last exposure?

Has anyone been originally diagnosed through a pap?

Any input or help on how to move on from not knowing who infected you? I don't know why but I am so concerned over it and can't seem to move past it until I know, maybe just something to distract myself from the shock of the actual diagnosis??

Quest

Ask to see paperwork. I just know that it's hard to tell by numbers. Either one could have it.

Why did they believe he was the one infected you?

I am not a big fan of searching for the infection origination. Up to you.

Phosphatydylserine will remove cortisol and help with sleep. But you may lose weight with it. Online Amazon. Also magnesium most people are short anyway.  Be good to you:squeeze:

WannaCry

Ask your Dr for a printout of your results so we can help you try to figure out what may be going on with your numbers. 

I have never heard of someone being diagnosed through a Pap. Ever. So that is a new one.

why4
On 8/11/2018 at 9:14 PM, Quest said:

Ask to see paperwork. I just know that it's hard to tell by numbers. Either one could have it.

Why did they believe he was the one infected you?

I am not a big fan of searching for the infection origination. Up to you.

Phosphatydylserine will remove cortisol and help with sleep. But you may lose weight with it. Online Amazon. Also magnesium most people are short anyway.  Be good to you:squeeze:

Thanks for the response! 

Do you mean ask for the guys paperwork? 

My PCP said the pap results with my first test being negative make it most likely it was him and the other few doctors said it is an 80% chance that I should have been positive by the 8 week mark (my first test that came back negative). I'm also in my early twenties and was super healthy and work out daily so they said it is a better chance of a healthy immune system to react that quickly? I'm not sure, I feel like I've been told so many different things. 

And I truly wish I had that mindset.

I haven't heard of Phosphatydylserine but I am definitely going to look into it! Sleep has definitely been a huge issue since I've been diagnosed so I will try anything. 

Thank you!!

why4
13 hours ago, WannaCry said:

Ask your Dr for a printout of your results so we can help you try to figure out what may be going on with your numbers. 

I have never heard of someone being diagnosed through a Pap. Ever. So that is a new one.

Thanks for your response!

My pap results are:

EPITHELIAL CELL ABNORMALITY.
ATYPICAL SQUAMOUS CELLS OF UNDETERMINED SIGNIFICANCE.
CELLULAR CHANGES ASSOCIATED WITH HERPES SIMPLEX ARE PRESENT.

My PCP actually talked to the pathologist after and they said they saw the virus actually attacking my cervix (scary thought) and causing the changes so she said that means it was probably from who I most recently slept with which was 2 days prior to the pap. But that means I got such a high result at just 2-3 weeks post infection?? Which I have not read anywhere about someone having the same reaction so quickly. 

IgG results:

6/22: HSV1 - <.90 and HSV2 - <.90

7/5: HSV1 - <.90 and HSV2 - 3.94 H

7/19: HSV1 - <.90 and HSV2 - 3.68 H

I am probably most confused by the huge jump between 6/22 and 7/5. 

Quest

Yes, get a copy of the last guy's paperwork.  It must be an igG. He could get a swab and have it come back negative to fool you. Not that he would do that.

WilsoInAus
5 hours ago, why4 said:

Thanks for your response!

My pap results are:

EPITHELIAL CELL ABNORMALITY.
ATYPICAL SQUAMOUS CELLS OF UNDETERMINED SIGNIFICANCE.
CELLULAR CHANGES ASSOCIATED WITH HERPES SIMPLEX ARE PRESENT.

My PCP actually talked to the pathologist after and they said they saw the virus actually attacking my cervix (scary thought) and causing the changes so she said that means it was probably from who I most recently slept with which was 2 days prior to the pap. But that means I got such a high result at just 2-3 weeks post infection?? Which I have not read anywhere about someone having the same reaction so quickly. 

IgG results:

6/22: HSV1 - <.90 and HSV2 - <.90

7/5: HSV1 - <.90 and HSV2 - 3.94 H

7/19: HSV1 - <.90 and HSV2 - 3.68 H

I am probably most confused by the huge jump between 6/22 and 7/5. 

These numbers do look feasible if you were infected say in the first 2 weeks of June. They're even feasible say for infection from the beginning of May say, but not so likely.

I would really check that first test very hard. Are you sure it is IgG and not IgM?

why4
4 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

These numbers do look feasible if you were infected say in the first 2 weeks of June. They're even feasible say for infection from the beginning of May say, but not so likely.

I would really check that first test very hard. Are you sure it is IgG and not IgM?

So you think the encounter from April is probably least likely and it is most likely the person from June who infected me? I'm assuming I would've been at least equivocal in June if it were from April. 

Yes, they are all 3 from Quest and I believe called HerpeSelect IgG? I wish I had done the IgM at least once sometime in June because it probably would've given me a clearer answer. I was expecting to be positive on the tests done in July but wasn't expecting it to be that high and was even crazy enough to call the lab to make sure there was no mix-up but I was apparently the only one to get that test done that day. 

why4
4 hours ago, Quest said:

Yes, get a copy of the last guy's paperwork.  It must be an igG. He could get a swab and have it come back negative to fool you. Not that he would do that.

He said it was a blood test and that his doctor said he was "touched" by the virus but I'm not sure if he just misinterpreted his doctor and they just said he could've been exposed to it if I told him I had it and to go get tested? This obviously put a lot of strain on our relationship and just recently decided to part ways so I probably won't be able to get ahold of them, unfortunately. 

WilsoInAus

Early June for infection looks the most probable explanation. No guarantees, just a best fit.

Quest
Posted (edited)

Touched by HSV. Interesting. You either test positive or not. Maybe he was a low positive. Were you ever touched by pregnancy?

At least you know you are building antibodies rapidly. I have a long standing infection at 20 on IgG

Edited by Quest

why4
On 8/13/2018 at 9:52 PM, Quest said:

Touched by HSV. Interesting. You either test positive or not. Maybe he was a low positive. Were you ever touched by pregnancy?

At least you know you are building antibodies rapidly. I have a long standing infection at 20 on IgG

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's from him but I don't know why he would lie about being negative since we were still together and I said I was already positive. Maybe he was infected right before we met?

Is higher the number better? How do the antibodies work over time? Will it continually go up forever? 

WilsoInAus

The number doesn’t matter very much in terms of your experience with herpes. Your immune system has 80 elements that address HSV and your experience is related to the combined effort of these 80 elements.

I’d suggest this partner is very probably infected and has been for a while.

Quest

No it won't go up forever, I know I have been infected for a long time. Some people in here have values in the 50s. it just gives you an idea of where those numbers can go from here. The more antibodies you have the better off you are and at least you know your immune system is building those antibodies. I hope you do really well!:two_hearts: