World's Largest Herpes Support Group
priorwalter

Excision Bio updated website info

priorwalter

Looks like Excision Biotherapeutics revamped their website in the last few days. On the pipeline page it's now estimated that their HSV1 and HSV2 phase 1 trials will begin in 2021. Also, though I'm not sure what metrics they're basing this on, they've listed preclinical efficacy of their treatments showing their HSV1 trials have been more effective than HSV2. Anyone been able to successfully contact Excision about their research? 

https://excisionbio.com/pipeline/

brookeb300

Wow that kind of sucks at least they r still working on it 

Cas9
1 hour ago, priorwalter said:

Looks like Excision Biotherapeutics revamped their website in the last few days. On the pipeline page it's now estimated that their HSV1 and HSV2 phase 1 trials will begin in 2021. Also, though I'm not sure what metrics they're basing this on, they've listed preclinical efficacy of their treatments showing their HSV1 trials have been more effective than HSV2. Anyone been able to successfully contact Excision about their research? 

https://excisionbio.com/pipeline/

Where are the results regarding hsv1 and 2 that you speak of?

priorwalter
10 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

Where are the results regarding hsv1 and 2 that you speak of?

Check the link I shared. On that page you'll see a chart with one of the columns being "preclinical efficacy." It's kind of frustratingly uninformative but it has bars of different sizes indicating efficacy. HSV1 is farther along than HSV2, and they both appear to be less effective than the company's HIV therapy. Though they haven't provided any data to explain these results. Pretty unsurprising, since I'm sure they'd want to be as guarded as possible with their studies until they're more advanced. Again that's why I'd like to know if anyone has heard anything directly from the company about their trials.

moialbalushi
43 minutes ago, priorwalter said:

Check the link I shared. On that page you'll see a chart with one of the columns being "preclinical efficacy." It's kind of frustratingly uninformative but it has bars of different sizes indicating efficacy. HSV1 is farther along than HSV2, and they both appear to be less effective than the company's HIV therapy. Though they haven't provided any data to explain these results. Pretty unsurprising, since I'm sure they'd want to be as guarded as possible with their studies until they're more advanced. Again that's why I'd like to know if anyone has heard anything directly from the company about their trials.

I think they are different becuz they are using different tools. (CasY and SaCas9). No ? @Cas9 whay do think ? 

Cas9
37 minutes ago, moialbalushi said:

I think they are different becuz they are using different tools. (CasY and SaCas9). No ? @Cas9 whay do think ? 

No, that wouldn't be the issue; Efficacy is efficacy no matter what approach/tool you use. Besides, HIV is using the same tool as hsv1 and you can see that the efficacy is different.

Jimmyjimmyhuapua

I think crispr wont eliminate virus from the body.. they postponed their planned timeline... For us the best thing will be a vaccine 

moialbalushi
1 hour ago, Cas9 said:

No, that wouldn't be the issue; Efficacy is efficacy no matter what approach/tool you use. Besides, HIV is using the same tool as hsv1 and you can see that the efficacy is different.

But if we used SaCas 9 on hsv-2. Wouldnt be the efficiacy different ? 

Cas9
4 hours ago, moialbalushi said:

It probably would be different, but my guess would be that it would be less effective since the research team thought it best to use CasY for hsv2.
That said, I don't think it's the issue. I think the issue may simply be that the gene targets of the viral dna (i.e.the genes they want to remove from the virus), are not totally effective in stopping viral replication. That's my guess.

priorwalter
4 hours ago, moialbalushi said:

I'm sure if this were a viable option the researchers would be pursuing it instead. They're not making these choices arbitrarily. 

My concern at this point would be whether broader crispr research will develop as these studies are moving along that invalidate the work they've already done. Like the recent study saying Cas12a might be a better gene editor than Cas9. This is what's tricky about watching this all unfold from the very outset of the technology. Researchers are pursuing studies based on the initial, and likely most primitive form, of the technology that will probably improve from here with time. Then what becomes of current trials? Will we get to a point where trials will just be started over again at the beginning based on new advancements? 

35hope
11 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

It probably would be different, but my guess would be that it would be less effective since the research team thought it best to use CasY for hsv2.
That said, I don't think it's the issue. I think the issue may simply be that the gene targets of the viral dna (i.e.the genes they want to remove from the virus), are not totally effective in stopping viral replication. That's my guess.

what i was thinking from therapies that target the the active dna and not latent, when the latent virus wakes and produces the active virus then crispr deactivates it where does the deactivated dna go? overtime wouldn't the cell get crowded with the deactivated dna which might cause it to die.

Atrapasueños

no hay ningún estudio en animales, me sorprende que la empresa tenga el hsv como uno de los principales candidatos de su cartelera terapéutica, el otro de los artículos de que crisper generaba las mutaciones inesperadas y el problema de que podría generar cáncer que que retrasaran los ensayos, también está hecho de la compañía se está centrando en el vih como opción a curar, pero por lo menos hay una empresa que está trabajando en el hsv, lo que me sorprende es que el Dr. Keith jerome no tardó tanto tiempo enganchar los resultados sobre el hsv en un animal (mouse) y lo que llama la atención que habla de curar muchos virus de su cartelera pero sobre el hsv sólo dicen que la replicación

_____

no animal trial has been published, I am surprised that the company has the hsv as one of its main candidates for its therapeutic billboard, apart from the articles that Crispr generated unexpected mutations and the problem that could cause cancer caused them to delay the rehearsals, there is also the fact that the company is focusing on hiv as an option to cure, but at least there is a company that is working on the hsv, what surprises me is that Dr. keith jerome did not take so long in publishing their results on the hsv in an animal (mouse) and what catches my attention is that they talk about curing many viruses on their billboard but on the hsv they only say that they prevent replication

35hope
33 minutes ago, Atrapasueños said:

there is no study on animals, I am surprised that the company has the hsv as one of the main candidates of its therapeutic billboard, the other one of the articles that crisper generated the unexpected mutations and the problem that could generate cancer that delayed the rehearsals, it is also made the company is focusing on hiv as an option to cure, but at least there is a company that is working on the hsv , what surprises me is that Dr. Keith Jerome did not take long to hook the results on the hsv in an animal (mouse) and what calls the attention that talks about curing many viruses of its billboard but on the hsv they only say that the replication

_____

no animal trial has been published, I am surprised that the company has the hsv as one of its main candidates for its therapeutic billboard, apart from the articles that Crispr generated unexpected mutations and the problem that could cause cancer caused them to delay the rehearsals, there is also the fact that the company is focusing on hiv as an option to cure, but at least there is a company that is working on the hsv, what surprises me is that Dr. keith jerome did not take so long in publishing their results on the hsv in an animal (mouse) and what catches my attention is that they talk about curing many viruses on their billboard but on the hsv they only say that they prevent replication

they've done in vivo testing

friendlyboy
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, priorwalter said:

Also, though I'm not sure what metrics they're basing this on, they've listed preclinical efficacy of their treatments showing their HSV1 trials have been more effective than HSV2.

LOL

Those bars don't say anything about effectivenes. They are an indicator about how far they have gotten in the preclinical efficacy studies stage.

Edited by friendlyboy

vzhe
1 minute ago, friendlyboy said:

LOL

Those bars don't say anything about effectivenes. They are an indicator about how far have they gotten in the preclinical efficacy studies stage.

bad UI design. but I agree. they probably consider HSV-1 and HSV-2 comparable enough and will do each with a different CAS to see what works better.. and then likely do another study with whichever wins the comparison...

hopeful22
Posted (edited)

I was going to post something about this but I figure this should help people understand before this thread goes haywire. 

CAS12A remember cas12a 

Instead of CRISPR cas9 crispr cas12a is a more precise and deemed more safe. 

In the past couple weeks CRISPR has had a lot of bad publicity over new research, but last week it was discovered that another enzyme CAS12A is very precise and safe. 

I am guessing that Excisionbio is going to switch gears and start using CAS12A instead of cas9

please see the article published last week. 

https://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-highlights/crispr-cas12a-more-precise-than-crispr-cas9/81256099

Edited by hopeful22
spellcheck

infoguy123

@hopeful22

Sorry, just to save me a bunch of reading and possibly getting nowhere..and I'm not sure I'm asking correctly..

Is cas12a in the casY category?  Is there some list showing each useful enzyme and which category it's in?

moialbalushi
1 hour ago, vzhe said:

bad UI design. but I agree. they probably consider HSV-1 and HSV-2 comparable enough and will do each with a different CAS to see what works better.. and then likely do another study with whichever wins the comparison...

That is what I thought too 

Cas9
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, friendlyboy said:

LOL

Those bars don't say anything about effectivenes. They are an indicator about how far they have gotten in the preclinical efficacy studies stage.

I considered that also but the progress arrow for a pipeline is not typically done that way. But I think you are correct; it's simply how far along they are with the process.

Edited by Cas9

Atrapasueños

@35hope only keith jerome has done a study with mice proving that he managed to stop the replication of hsv in neurons but it was only 2% to 4%

hopeful22
12 hours ago, infoguy123 said:

@hopeful22

Sorry, just to save me a bunch of reading and possibly getting nowhere..and I'm not sure I'm asking correctly..

Is cas12a in the casY category?  Is there some list showing each useful enzyme and which category it's in?

@infoguy123

i honestly don't know. I will look into it. 

Cas9
6 hours ago, Atrapasueños said:

@35hope only keith jerome has done a study with mice proving that he managed to stop the replication of hsv in neurons but it was only 2% to 4%

Proving what?

Atrapasueños

@Cas9 In vivo inactivation of latent HSV by endonuclease-mediated mutagenesis

35hope
9 hours ago, Atrapasueños said:

that was for the latent virus

Cas9
9 hours ago, 35hope said:

that was for the latent virus

Exactly.   And that was my point when I asked Atrapasuenos what the Jerome experiments proved. He was trying to make it look like the work performed by Jerome Labs was unsuccessful thus proving that the same would apply to Excision Bio.  Not true!
Excision Bio's approach is different than Jerome Labs in that it doesn't deal directly with the latent virus, which in turn means that from Excision Bio, we can expect a functional cure at best, not a sterilizing cure.

Furthermore, even if Excision Bio was going after the latent virus like Jerome Labs, that doesn't mean that they wont have more success than Jerome Labs.

Of course Atrapasueno's response to my question is meant to sidestep the intent of his initial comment.