World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Vrissy72

Reaching out

Vrissy72

I just found out I have been diagnosed with HSV2. I can’t say I’ve always been careful during sex, but I’ve definitely always been very on top of STD testing and herpes was never something I was concerned about (cannot believe that now) 

I’m just looking for people to talk to about this and just to normalize this for me. I am struggling so hard with shame, guilt, feeling disgusting, and every other negative emotion. My boyfriend and I recently broke up completely unrelated to this & the thought of ever dating with this makes me want to never date again. 

I’d really love to meet some friends on here (girls or guys) just to chat with & process this with who understand. I’m scared to death to tell anyone because I feel disgusting and shameful. I’m still not really sure how this all works - but I thought posting here would be helpful to start! Please reach out to me if you feel inclined. 

Le_sigh

@Vrissy72 I was recently diagnosed less than a week ago as well and luckily I stumbled on here today. I completely identify with how you're feeling. I would love to talk to you! I've been alienating myself since this happened and still dealing with the initial shock. I've been open with a few close friends about it but I definitely need to talk to someone who knows how I'm feeling and vice versa.

Number212

Welcome to the community , it will get better later on . The people here are great I'm sure you will feel better after you know how to deal with this virus and if you talked about it . Just know that you are not alone and the technology is developing quickly :) we may say a cure not far off from now 

Vrissy72

@Number212 Thank you for your kind words! I think you are exactly right. I am grateful to have stumbled upon the community here. And I think that talking about it is the first step in normalizing it for me. So many people have this, but no one talk about it and thats the hardest part. 

@Le_sigh I would really love to talk to you as well! I'm not sure if there is private messages on here or not? But I can tell you I am going through isolation and shock as well. I have only told two people and refuse to tell anyone else in my friend group because I am so scared of judgement. I'd love to find a way to chat further with you :) 

WilsoInAus

@Vrissy72 some things depend on factors like how long you’ve had the virus, how often you get outbreaks and the incidence in your community.

How are you placed in this regard?

Fucksake

I’d love to talk to you, I’m currently waiting for my results but they seemed pretty certain this is Herpes. I feel your pain, it’s horirble what it does to you emotionally. I’m currently having my first OB still and have just started my tablets today but I’m still having some pain. How has your experience been so far I’d love to understand more.

Black Roses

Hey I’m new to this as well and it’s veeh hard for me to deal with it also I was told to have the virus literally after my birthday month which is May so in the beginning of June I was told to have the virus and I caught it quickly because I was always on top of myself when it came to stds.. however someone who was dishonest with me gave me head(oral) and I received the virus that way it just breaks my heart still till this day because I didn’t even have actual sex I just feel like this is my fault and could have been avoided I don’t even have any friends I can come to and say this to because I am so afraid I was able to come out to my mother about it and I was surprised at her reaction I thought she would make me feel worse but she made me feel actually relieved and I’m glad she still loves me but I wish to have friends that actually know what I am going through and how it feels.

Black Roses
Posted (edited)

@WilsoInAus I was tested for Hsv1 & 2 and apparently I now have both I asked my doctor how I could have possibly had type 1 when I didn’t kiss the person I recived  oral from she claims I could have had it and never known but my mother said that’s a lie I had to have received both from him and maybe just don’t remember kissing him I smoke a lot of marijuana so it might have slipped my mind that we could have kissed. 

Edited by Black Roses

WilsoInAus

@Black Roses I really think it would be useful to get the full results of your testing.

It sounds like you’ve had a blood test only? If this is the case then you need information of whether it was an IgG or IgM test and what were the values separately for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Black Roses

@WilsoInAus I just read my paper work over and it says Hsv IgG for type 2 

WilsoInAus
21 minutes ago, Black Roses said:

@WilsoInAus I just read my paper work over and it says Hsv IgG for type 2 

And any value with that? What was the value for HSV-1 as well?

HarryAUS

Hi @Vrissy72, welcome to the forum!  As most of us on here know, it can be incredibly confronting and scary when you are first diagnosed. The good news is that it really does get much easier to handle over time.

Although it can certainly feel that way, the reality is you are definitely NOT alone: the overwhelming majority of people have HSV. Around 90% of the world's population has one or both strains of the virus. This means that if you don't have HSV, you are in the vast minority! There's a very good chance that anybody you chose to disclose to in the future will say 'yeah me too'!

The article below put this into perspective for me. It made me realize that I had just joined a much bigger club than I was previously in AFTER my diagnosis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/11/02/you-probably-have-herpes-but-thats-really-okay/

I'm sure it doesn't feel that way right now but for most people an HSV diagnosis is not a huge deal in the longer term. You just learn to adjust and live with it (like 90% of the world's population!).

Try to stay strong and positive. Don't be so hard on yourself. You can and will learn to live with this. And feel free to get in touch if you're struggling!