World's Largest Herpes Support Group
leeRW

HSV1 vs HSV2

leeRW

I've read here that if one has a choice, HSV1 is better than 2. And my doctor said the same thing when my test came back positive for HSV1 and negative on 2. Basically told me not to worry about it. Why is this so? And is it true that the virus will weaken after some time and OBs will be less frequent?

WilsoInAus

The difference is all in the mind. Neither is better or worse, they just are what they are. HSV-1 is tuned to the oral nuerons and HSV-2 is tuned to the genital nuerons.

I guess there is a benefit in having a type in a ‘non tuned’ location as you experience fewer issues but enjoy the full immune response.

This sounds like a childhood oral HSV-1 infection for you. It is not so much that the virus weakens, but that the immune system gets stronger. You’ve probably not reallly experienced many symptoms since childhood.

Edited by WilsoInAus

Mrspinkk

I have ghsv1. I was wondering the same thing to me, the number of outbreaks over time, and you declining violence? 

I would be very happy if someone replied Experienced :(

Dutchy

Well my best friend and i were Both diagnosed week after week. She hot ghsv1.. i have ghvs2.

Our bodys respond very different.

She got a mayor first outbreak. Sick and flu-like symptoms for 7 OR 8 months. She always felt sick. Tired. She had two ob,s after the first. Than nothing.

My first outbreak was minor. Like 8 different spots. No fluids Just like pimples. They Hurt but after a week they were all gone.

Then i had two ob,s and IT stopt for a while. Right now i am fighting over after ob... And decided tot try antivirals. For three weeks i am now free from ob but i feel constant pain tinglings etc. I never felt sick but IT feels like my body cant fight this virus by itself.

IT seemed like my friend was in a worse situation at first. Now i wished i had type 1. Also less change of giving IT tot sonebody else....

leeRW

Thanks for the replies. Hope to hear from more veterans. I've seen three doctors and all of them were not too concerned about HSV1. They said most people have it although some do not have symptoms. And two of them said 2 is worse than 1 and over time, OBs will be less and less. 

Mrspinkk
12 minutes ago, leeRW said:

Cevaplar için teşekkürler. Daha fazla gazileri duymak dileğiyle. Üç doktor gördüm ve hepsi de HSV1 konusunda çok endişeli değildi . Bazılarının belirtileri olmamasına rağmen çoğu insanın sahip olduklarını söylediler. Ve iki tanesi 2'den daha kötü olduğunu ve zamanla, OB'lerin daha az olacağını söyledi. 

Generally known as benign than ghsv1. Your doctor said it was worse than what basis ? 

I know that the virus is different for everyone, but I need someone experienced to comment :(

Does it really decreases after 2 years ?

Scooby2112

The reason hsv1 is considered better in the genital reason is because it doesn't thrive there.  The stats are roughly that 40 % will never experience a second genital outbreak of ghsv1.  Another 50% will have one or two outbreaks over the next two to three years (avg less than 1 outbreak per year).  As with all hsv infections subsequent outbreaks tend to be less severe.  

Hsv2 on the other hand recurs much more frequently.  It averages 4 to 5 outbreaks a year and some can have 10 or more.  But on the otherwise 80% have such minor symptoms they don't even know they are infected.  

I believe they say of new cases of hsv genitally 50% are hsv1 and 50% hsv2.  However of recurrent outbreaks are 90% + hsv2.  Which is proof that the hsv1 doesn't recur often.  

However even without outbreaks you can still transmit.  However hsv1 sheds when no symptoms are present much less (3-5%) with some not showing any detected shedding.  That means only 10-18 days a year.  Hsv2 sheds 15-25% of the time (50-100 days).  

Shedding frequency generally follows frequency of outbreaks.  

So when your doctor is less concerned with HSV1 genitally it is referring to the expected outcome in terms of future outbreaks and chance of transmitting.  The other stat is that 50% of the US population has hsv1 orally means they are unlikely to catch it in a new location means even less transmission possibility.  

G77
On 8/24/2018 at 6:17 PM, Mrspinkk said:

I have ghsv1. I was wondering the same thing to me, the number of outbreaks over time, and you declining violence? 

I would be very happy if someone replied Experienced :(

I also have ghsv1 and was diagnosed in may this year. My first outbreak was horrendous and I've probably had 1 a month since but they have been very minor. The outbreaks after the initial one, I've had 1 blister that was slightly uncomfortable and a little bit of nerve pain in my leg and foot on 1 occasion. I feel alot more fatigued than I used to do before catching it but I'm hoping that decreases with time. The only thing that actually bothers me about having it now is meeting someone and having to disclose. The outbreaks don't really bother me anymore. But everyone is different and some never get a 2nd outbreak 

Rain and Ashes

I would like to know more about this as I actually just know the difference between HSV1 and HSV2, but I have never heard about ghsv1 before. I already have oral HSV1 and today my gyn told me I got something that looks like genital herpes (HSV2), but I have never had sex (not anal, oral or vaginal).

My last oral herpes outbreak was months ago, still I wonder if my oral HSV1 could "become" gshv1? I really dont know where it could have been coming from and I am really scared and depressed at the moment...

Lukeherpwalker

Wouldnt say one is better or worse. MOST times ghsv1 recurs less... But if we are talking most .... Most hsv2 never have symptoms. Im sure there are some ppl with less outbreaks for ghsv2 than other who have ghsv1.  Its all about your body

Ladyb2018

I wondered this ...I had a very weird and minor outbreak . I didn’t really know what was going on and now I ghsv1. I started avs and really feel like those have made me feel tired and just worthless. I’m not even sure if I need to do suppression therapy at all for this type . Any suggestions ? 

ConfusedinNH

I have ghsv1 and initially was told it most likely come back after my hellish first ob.  They were wrong.  I’ve been fighting a constant se one on for almost a full month now. It’s worse than the first ob and I’ve been taking Valtrex and it isn’t helping at all.  Very depressing.  I can barely rally to get myself out of bed in the morning.  Constant pain  and itching.  I had a swab and blood test confirm hsv1.  I haven’t had sex since my first ob nor do I ever want to again. 

Ladyb2018
20 hours ago, ConfusedinNH said:

I have ghsv1 and initially was told it most likely come back after my hellish first ob.  They were wrong.  I’ve been fighting a constant se one on for almost a full month now. It’s worse than the first ob and I’ve been taking Valtrex and it isn’t helping at all.  Very depressing.  I can barely rally to get myself out of bed in the morning.  Constant pain  and itching.  I had a swab and blood test confirm hsv1.  I haven’t had sex since my first ob nor do I ever want to again. 

Your body seems to be responding to it very badly. Most people don’t have another outbreak after the first one maybe try vitamins. I had one outbreak tried meds and just decided to let my body fight it off . I’ve been fine (thank God) since the first outbreak. I take a multivitamin and lysine that’s it . 

Jayday

I have HSV1 and HSV2, I don’t get have outbreaks genitally, but I do still get my cold sores from type 1. So for my type 1 sucks 

Scooby2112
14 hours ago, Jayday said:

I have HSV1 and HSV2, I don’t get have outbreaks genitally, but I do still get my cold sores from type 1. So for my type 1 sucks 

Yes type one orally recurs frequently and sheds a lot so can be very contagious.  

Jayday
7 hours ago, Scooby2112 said:

Yes type one orally recurs frequently and sheds a lot so can be very contagious.  

I used the get my cold sores on my lip frequently..now it comes up every 1.5-2 years!! Which I’m happy about. I haven’t got a hsv2 outbreak in over a year+  

Scooby2112

People with hsv1 orally as young kids typically stop having any outbreaks as adults.  Some still do but they definitely become less frequent for most people.  

But they still shed and can transfer it.  I think that is part of the transfer via oral sex.  Many forget or don't remember having oral cold sores.  

GBTF25

Would symptoms be similar between both 1 and 2 as in flu etc?? Can I ask during my research of herpes it says that the initial outbreaks would be between 2-12 days, how true is this? I don’t know if I have herpes so I’m looking for advice! 

Scooby2112

Symptoms can be the same.  But everyone responds differently.  80% of ghsv2 carriers don't know they have it.  

Where most ghsv1 tends to be a clearer initial infection.  But I never got any blisters etc so you never know.  

annoyinglyafflicted

This is a great question because I was diagnosed with both types but I only get oral outbreaks not genital.  Why I don’t know?  I do feel like, I’m glad that I only get it on my face tho, however, I have been getting almost daily outbreaks ever since my first cold sore appeared 4 yrs ago.  I tried everything you can try to get the virus under control even taking acyclovir twice a day for 6mos straight wasn’t working.  I’m off the antivirals now and I think I finally found something that WORKS as it’s been 2weeks since I started my new regimen.  For anyone who hasn’t tried ZINC yet, I highly suggest you start taking it, about a 1/4 tablet of 50mg of Zinc along with Immune support capsules, Garlic capsules, and monolaurin seem to be keeping the virus under control.  I know it’s only been 2 weeks of no outbreaks, but considering that I’ve been suffering from daily breakouts for 4 straight years is nothing short of a miracle.  I finally feel like I’m a normal person again before my diagnosis and I’m sharing so others can also get a break from this annoying virus.  If anyone tries it, please share your results.  

Skrillah80
On 8/24/2018 at 4:32 PM, Dutchy said:

Well my best friend and i were Both diagnosed week after week. She hot ghsv1.. i have ghvs2.

Our bodys respond very different.

She got a mayor first outbreak. Sick and flu-like symptoms for 7 OR 8 months. She always felt sick. Tired. She had two ob,s after the first. Than nothing.

My first outbreak was minor. Like 8 different spots. No fluids Just like pimples. They Hurt but after a week they were all gone.

Then i had two ob,s and IT stopt for a while. Right now i am fighting over after ob... And decided tot try antivirals. For three weeks i am now free from ob but i feel constant pain tinglings etc. I never felt sick but IT feels like my body cant fight this virus by itself.

IT seemed like my friend was in a worse situation at first. Now i wished i had type 1. Also less change of giving IT tot sonebody else....

I've not had a ob yet and it's been 2 months now.. I do get tingling from time to time tho..