World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
LadyT916

I Just Confessed

LadyT916

I have known I have HSV for about 2 weeks and since then my boyfriend has been out of state but today I decided I was strong enough to let him know. I sent him an email and I am waiting for a response now. We have been together off and on for 5 years and I am so afraid of losing him especially when I need him the most. What can I do to make it easier for him? I do not want to lose him.

catiesmom

Good for you for facing that fear and doing what is right!! Hopefully he'll be understanding.

Make sure he doesn't just google HSV and believe what he reads - there's a LOT of worst-case-scenario stuff just hanging out there in the cyber-world. Most people find if they combine the news with as much information (factual information, that is) as possible, it helps ease the blow. Most people who don't have HSV immediately think of the stigma attached and can't get past it. If you can give him some information to let him know that it's not that bad, just about everyone has it, it's the same thing as cold sores which he himself has a good chance of having in the past, and that your sex life isn't over and he won't necessarily catch it from you, it might help put him at ease.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes!!!

Caliope

It is a really good idea for your bf to get tested for herpes. It doesn't just show up out of nowhere it is caused by skin to skin contact.

It usually comes from exposure with someone who is infected orally or genitally. Many people don't know they have it because they don't get or recognize the symptoms.

Sweety042

Told him by email?

To me that is something you should tell, but tell in person. Or if time is an issue, on the phone voice to voice. I can't imagine being impersonal with someone you want to keep around with an email. You've done that now, so if it was me, I'd get on by voice as soon as possible. To hear the inflection in his voice, and assure him that your relationship can continue.

lilanne19

I agree that telling someone via email is probably the worst way to tell, however, that was how I told my bf. I'd just found out, the relationship was new (2 months), I felt dirty, diseased and scared because I didn't know what my life was going to be like (an overreaction I know now) and scared because I'd finally met someone I saw a future with and had to tell him that not only I had it but that I may have given it to him. To date, it was still the worst time in my life (and I've been through a lot). He going to be upset? I feared the worse, and that fear was real (although I realize now I was projecting because he is still the sweetest man i know). This was in Sept but I remember it like it was yesterday. At the time I couldn't say the word herpes without crying. It's definitely not the preferred way to tell. But I'd already decided that I was going to walk away from the relationship because I needed time to deal with it. However, the thought of him having it and giving it to someone else made it all the more important for me to tell him and do it soon. So if you realize that you just can't get the words out, email is better than saying nothing at all. BTW, I'd gotten the email idea from a website. I felt better knowing that there were other people like me out there.

alwall0828

I just wanted to say GOOD for you for telling him.

I have told by email, because he couldn't wait to talk one on one. And the first person I had to tell after my marriage I wrote a letter to by snail mail. My current bf we were on instant messaging and he told me he had cold sores so that's when I told him I had GHSV.

The thing is that you told him. And that's always the first step