World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Deadhead

A long time comin

Deadhead

I have been living with herpes for about 6 years now and have finally found someone kind enough and accepting enough to let me into their life. The talk was really hard, but it went well i guess. I am curious what other people have to say about transmission. My infected spot is kinda right at my underwear line. Annoying place to have it, and harder to prevent transmission, unless i wear a full body comdom. My doc. said to leave my underwear on during sex. Now i can't believe this does anything to protect my possible sexual partner for contracting this awful crap. Any insight will be helpful I'm sure. Thanks.

catiesmom

The virus is most active at OB sites, but it can also shed or transmit from anywhere in the boxer shorts region, from your upper thigh to your lower abdomen (where you get your obs). Leaving your underwear on will protect your partner from that one OB spot, but not from other spots where the virus may be present. The virus actually lives deep in your body, in your lower spine area, and travels the nerve pathways to the genital area. It can at any time take any path, and the fact that it has chosen the same path repeatedly when outbreaks occur does not mean it has to follow that path all the time.

Basically, the only way to really protect yourself is laytex boxers!

Deadhead

So..Are you saying at any time the virus could decide to show up anywhere on my body? That is kinda scary. I have what I believe to be a mild case of hsv1, I only see it about twice a year. The length of time between outbreaks is greater each time...Will this be a continuing trend?

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate being able to talk to anyone about this. It is so hard for me to even talk to my doctor, forget about friends and family. It is just so embarassing.

catiesmom

No, not anywhere on your body. Just anywhere in your boxer shorts region -- the area that your boxers would cover. She can't get HSV from your arm, but she CAN get it from your upper thigh. Yes, it is scary. The good news is, unless you're having an OB, the chance of her catching it from you is about 4% (that's the rate at which we believe asymptomatic shedding occurs, which would have to happen in order for her to come into contact with the virus). There are lots of people on this forum who have full sex lives and, with simple precautions, have avoided passing it to their partners for years. However, it would be important to remind her that there is never a 0% chance of transmission -- there's always that small chance.

Chances are you will continue to see a greater time between outbreaks. Generally as your body gets the virus more under control, builds more antibodies, etc, your outbreaks will lessen. Not all people experience that decrease, but it sounds like you will.

I understand needing someone to talk to. Honestly, what helped me the most was doing as much research as i could (here, the links on the right, and other places) so i felt like i understood what i was dealing with. In the last 7 months, last month was the first time i didn't get an ob, thanks to all i know now. If your outbreaks aren't severe enough for antiviral medications, i suggest you consider something topical, like Dynamiclear. You can put it on when you first start to tingle, or when your outbreak is at full-blast, and it should help decrease the severity and length of your outbreaks. Good luck!

Deadhead

Wow thanks so much for the info. I am realizing that this site is better that my doctor's office. Do you use Dynamiclear personally? Doc said topical meds don't really do much.? I was on acyclovir but stopped taking it because i hardly get outbreaks and I wasn't sexually active. I just got a new script for valtrex. Once a day is a little easier for me to remember. I couldn't bring myself to think about it twice a day to take the pill, when I was trying so hard to not think about it...Weird right?

Have you found that diet can really control outbreaks? It seems logical to me, and if it does why didn't my doc tell me about this a long time ago?? Not that you know the answer to that one but really, I am starting to loose faith in my medical treatment. Thanks for listening.

catiesmom

If it means anything, my doctor told me the ONLY way to transmit genital herpes was through intercourse. She was wrong, i got it from oral, and there are LOTS of people here who have. The medical community is responsible for knowing a little about a lot of things, and at some point in the past i'm sure they thought you can't transfer hsv genital to oral, but that's not the case. Sometimes it takes deeper research than they are able to do to really know what you're talking about. If your doctor seems to disagree with very basic things that are known fact about hsv (like mine did) i suggest you change doctors until you find one who is a bit more knowledgable.

I do use dynamiclear. I've used it a total of 3 times. The first time i ordered it when my outbreak started, so by the time i got it, my ob was in FULL swing. I used it once, like the directions tell you to, and never felt my ob again. The second time i think i jumped the gun, cause it helped a bit, but my ob still came and went, after application. Last month i used it when i started to feel tingling (cause the directions say you can apply it twice - once when you start to feel symptoms if you want, and once when the ob had led to open sores) and didn't have an ob.

I haven't taken any of the medications my doctor might have prescribed (honestly, after coming here, i never spoke to her again), because i personally don't feel that handling something as simple as HSV (at least simple for me) should require daily meds (which i will NEVER remember to take). I prefer more natural methods of control, rather than pumping my body full of chemicals. Some people have had great success getting extreme cases under control using the antiviral meds, but i didn't have that need.

As for diet, i've kind of gone off the deep end with that one, too. I'm examining a raw vegan lifestyle (which is said to be a "cure for everything" but aren't they all!), and i really do feel that between the dynamiclear and my diet, i've been able to avoid outbreaks for at least this past month. There are a number of other benefits to a raw vegan lifestyle, and i know lots of people here who've committed themselves to a healthier lifestyle in general and have had great success keeping OBs at bay. There was a guy a while ago, i believe, who attributed his recent ob to failing to go to the gym as faithfully as he should.

The thing about triggers is they're different for everyone. My trigger is my monthly cycle i think, and there's not much i can do about that. The best i can do is try to nip it in the bud when it does come, and hope eventually my body will be able to handle it without my help. Other people get outbreaks from chocolate and caffine, some people get them from certain types of foods or starches or whatever. There's a lot of discussion about maintaining an alkaline system to avoid obs. Whatever you do, you need to research it and try it to see if it will work for you. I can't say dynamiclear will definitely work for you, because everyone is different. In fact, for those who don't get open sores, dynamiclear is a waste of money.

I hope some of this helps. The more you know, the better you'll feel (but the more pissed off you'll be at your doctor!! ;)).