World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Rain and Ashes

Herpes genitalis without sex?

Rain and Ashes

First of all, I want to apologize if my english ist not that good, it's not my mother tongue.

Today I went to the gyn because I thought i might have a yeast infection, it was all very itchy. I had this problem since some weeks now. Since two days, I got those blisters down there, but now it almost doesn't hurt anymore. My gyn said she would make a test for the yeast infection and the blisters DEFINITELY look like HSV2.

Only problem: I'm a virgin, absolutely, no oral/anal sex or whatever. I went scuba diving 3 weeks ago, could the virus come from borrowed diving suits?

I cried a lot today because of this, as I said, I'm a virgin and now I'm afraid that I will never find a boyfriend...

Would you recommend a blood test to make sure? The problem is, I'm really afraid, if the result is positive, I could get severly depressed. At the moment I almost feel like killing myself. I mean, if that symptoms come back or I ever get a boyfriend I could still make the test, but I don't know whats better for me right now: knowing the absolute truth or not.

I know you can't answer me that last question, but probably you can tell me what you would do. Or probably there is someone with similar experiences? I'm really desperate right now.

Sandbr

I've through kinda the same thing. I had a small bump ( not even a blister, but a bump) visually diagnosed as herpes even tho I'm virgin in every way. 

I went to a different doctor that didn't agree with the first doc diagnosis and also did a blood test that came negative. 

As far as I know: severe yeast infection can cause blisters. 

I think @WilsoInAus may help you out more than me as he is more knowledge about this subject than I. 

Please keep me informed as I am in a similar place as you. Good luck! 

Trace67

Yeast very well can cause blisters. If you're absolutely sure about the sex thing then chances are the doctor is just wrong. They kind of assume that people lie about shit because people do. Even if it does look like herpes to her it doesnt mean that it is, and thats why she has to test it. Just relax and wait for the test. I doubt you got herpes from the scuba suit or anything else if you're really a virgin.

Rain and Ashes

Sadly it's not just one bump, there are several painfull and itchy blisters. I do have oral herpes and the blisters definitely look and feel like herpes. Over the night they also appeared on my leg/butt cheek. 

Is it possible that that HSV1 appears on other body parts without contact? I didnt have an outbreak of oral herpes, so i dont think I "infected" myself that way, but I do have the virus in me, so could it suddenly appear somewhere Else? 

Or is it possible this is herpes zoster? I had chicken pox as a child and I know the virus can break out as shingles later in life, but usually this happens to older people and in other regions.

To be honest I am to afraid to make the blood test at the moment because I am afraid it could be positive. I dont have a boy friend, so its Not urgent for me to make it, but on the other Hand, not knowing it also make me crazy. I just dont know what to do...

Edit: I also added a picture of the blisters on my thigh, as I said I do have more in genital regions and now also on my butt cheek...

_20180911_072214.JPG

Edited by Rain and Ashes

Trace67

herpes can disseminate to any body part but its usually in people that have something else wrong with them. I would continue with the doctor to figure it out what it is as you need to know regardless of having a boyfriend or not, and maybe ask for a complete physical as well.

Sandbr

@Rain and Ashes do the blood test! As I said, I was in a similar position as yours and was only able to find relieve when my results came back ( even tho I'm suffering now again). Don't hesitate and do It. According to ppl of this forum and some experts, as long as you haven't had sex, you're safe when it comes to genital herpes.

Rain and Ashes

My gyn told me a blood test would be unnecessary as I would know for sure when the herpes comes back and also where I live it is very expensive (several 100 euros...). Okay, I would'nt mind about the money when I would get relieve then, but what if it's positive? I mean you sure understand how scared I am? This would kill me...

And it really looks and feels like herpes, its not just one bump, I just hope its HSV1 or Zoster as I already have those viruses in me. And while I can hope this I feel a little better. I know I'm a coward but I really wouldn't know how to deal with HSV2. I already am shy and that would probably really give me psychological problems.

I'm not sure how to explain this, but I hope you can understand it a little bit, you sure know how I feel...

Sandbr
2 hours ago, Rain and Ashes said:

My gyn told me a blood test would be unnecessary as I would know for sure when the herpes comes back and also where I live it is very expensive (several 100 euros...). Okay, I would'nt mind about the money when I would get relieve then, but what if it's positive? I mean you sure understand how scared I am? This would kill me...

And it really looks and feels like herpes, its not just one bump, I just hope its HSV1 or Zoster as I already have those viruses in me. And while I can hope this I feel a little better. I know I'm a coward but I really wouldn't know how to deal with HSV2. I already am shy and that would probably really give me psychological problems.

I'm not sure how to explain this, but I hope you can understand it a little bit, you sure know how I feel...

Actually, due to your virgin status the blood test is more than nedded since as far as we know it is not possible for a virgin to get herpes. 

I totally understand your fears, believe me. I was so scared and anxious while waiting for my results that I lost several pounds. 

I understand what you are feeling right now. Even after the negative blood test, a bump came back in the same place and I'm a pool of worries and anxiety again (even tho my dermatologist said to me not to worry). I'm just so scared of having herpes as a complete virgin that I don't know how I would be able to function if I somehow really got it tbh. Actually I'm not function as a human being right now as all I do is crying. 

What I'm trying to do is believe in what I read here and in most of the DSTs experts sites I went: You CAN'T get genital herpes without some type of sex or skin to skin contact down there and if it was possible, then more people would have show up with it till now. That's what I'm trying to believe. 

But please do the blood test as your worries will not subsued ( a least mine didn't) because you'll keep wondering it in the back of your mind. Also, make sure to have the type specific test as you said you have oral herpes. In the end of the day, chances are that since you're a virgin. this is not herpes related. 

Also, did you read this article? https://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/news/a52493/doctors-thought-i-had-an-std-but-i-was-a-virgin/

Keep me informed! I know how hard it must have been for you now. 

Edited by Sandbr

Rain and Ashes

Update:
I went to my gyn today again, because I felt like I needed more information and to ask whether it could be shingles. She told me that it doesn't look like shingles and she thinks it is herpes. She also told me you can receive it from public restrooms, swimming pools etc though its not very common.

In the end she gave me a prescription for aciclovir and told me she cannot tell me 100% certain whether its shingles or herpes. I am too afraid to make a blood test. This really turns my life all around. At the moment I feel like killing myself, but won't because of my parents.

Well, however, I just wanted to share that my gyn thinks it IS possible to get it without any form of sexual contact.

WilsoInAus
1 hour ago, Rain and Ashes said:

Update:
I went to my gyn today again, because I felt like I needed more information and to ask whether it could be shingles. She told me that it doesn't look like shingles and she thinks it is herpes. She also told me you can receive it from public restrooms, swimming pools etc though its not very common.

In the end she gave me a prescription for aciclovir and told me she cannot tell me 100% certain whether its shingles or herpes. I am too afraid to make a blood test. This really turns my life all around. At the moment I feel like killing myself, but won't because of my parents.

Well, however, I just wanted to share that my gyn thinks it IS possible to get it without any form of sexual contact.

More adults will die this year from falling coconuts than will contract HSV-2 without sex.

I really feel your doctor is doing you a grave injustice. Your pictures look potentially like scabies more so than herpes as just one example of an alternative that your doctor should have also on the list of possibilities.

If more sores are appearing, you can have a swab taken. 

Please do not let this doctors incompetence on the issue of herpes take a hold of you - please consider seeing another doctor for a second opinion.

Sandbr
3 hours ago, Rain and Ashes said:

Update:

The first gyno I went in may did the same thing. Tried to say that herpes wasn't related to sex ( and gave oral herpes as a example, but yeah.. oral herpes really has nothing to do w sex, but I had a bump downstairs!!), she didn't made any tests either ( no swab and didn't even want to ask for a blood test). Even if it looks like herpes, I guess even for sexually active people, you NEED to confirm it somehow before a diagnose, right?  So please, look for another opnion as WilsonInaAus said. 

Also, you better not take  aciclovir if you want to take the blood test as it may intefere the results

Edited by Sandbr

Rain and Ashes

I already took the first pill of aciclovir, because soon I am writing an important exam and next week I am flying to Scotland and honestly I just want to forget all of this for a short time. I fear a dermatologist would just tell me same: definitely looks like herpes. And at the moment I am even sure a blood test would be positive, because it really looks and feels like herpes (as I said, I do have oral herpes now and then and this new problem does feel familiar). But if it would be HSV2, wouldn't the test be positive regardless the aciclovir? I mean with a blood test you can prove the antibodies for HSV1 as well if there are no current outbreaks. Does anybody know more about the blood test? Can I take one later if I don't have an outbreak at the moment? I think thats the only common methode here in Germany, she didn't mention swabs. Also, when I asked if it could be herpes zoster, she said it is possible, but this is not her special field. She also said that it is "not so unrealistic" to get HSV2 without sexual contact, though she had seen that I was almost in tears. If there were other possibilities wouldn't she have told me then?

I think one day I surely will take a blood test at the latest IF I ever get a boyfriend or an outbreak comes back, probably earlier when I become brave enough, but at the moment I just feel to "weak". I have to let this sit for some time I think.

Edited by Rain and Ashes

Sandbr
16 minutes ago, Rain and Ashes said:

I already took the first pill of aciclovir, because soon I am writing an important exam and next week I am flying to Scotland and honestly I just want to forget all of this for a short time. I fear a dermatologist would just tell me same: definitely looks like herpes. And at the moment I am even sure a blood test would be positive, because it really looks and feels like herpes (as I said, I do have oral herpes). But if it would be HSV2 wouldn't the test be positive regardless the aciclovir? I mean with a blood test you can prove the antibodies for HSV1 as well if there are no current outbreaks. Does anybody know more about the blood test? Can I take them later? I think thats the only common methode here in Germany, she didn't mention swabs. Also, when I asked if it could be herpes zoster, she said it is possible, but this is not her special field. She also said that it is "not so unrealistic" to get herpes without sexual contact, though she had seen that I was almost in tears. If there were other possibilities wouldn't she have told me then?

I think one day I surely will take a blood test at the latest IF I ever get a boyfriend or an outbreak comes back, probably earlier when I become brave enough, but at the moment I just feel to weak. I have to let this sit for some time I think.

According to what I read, antiviral drugs CAN affect the test ( aka it can make it negative). I guess again @WilsoInAus probably knows more about it than me ( sorry fot tagging you here again Wilson o/) 

I understand the fear, believe! I guess we had similar situations with totally different reactions. My first reaction after I was told I could have herpes was to go take the blood test the very next day and go to another gyn. I was terryfied, but I thought living with the doubt would destroy me even more idk.. 

If you scared about the blood test, how about get a second opnion from another doctor. It can stay the same or get better from there.

Rain and Ashes

I will sleep a night and think about the option to see another doctor, but I don't think it would be clever stopping to take the aciclovir if I already took it, right? Does anybody know if I can also take a blood test if I don't have symptoms?

Sandbr

I will sleep a night and think about the option to see another doctor, but I don't think it would be clever stopping to take the aciclovir if I already took it, right? Does anybody know if I can also take a blood test if I don't have symptoms?

You only took one pill, right? So it's okay to stop now ( I think you need to take the medication for a week or two for it to affect your blood test ...but I'm not sure). And yes, you absolute can take the blood test w/o symptoms.

Atrapasueños

Si tienes hsv-1 y te harás una prueba de sangre de hsv-1 el medicamento no interfiere en el análisis yo obtuve hsv-1 en la boca y me lo disemine a mis genitales pero no te asustes lo que deberías de hacer es un cultivo de tus brotes o un análisis de sangre de hsv-2 

If you have hsv-1 and you will do a blood test of hsv-1 the medication does not interfere in the analysis I got hsv-1 in my mouth and I spread it to my genitals but do not be scared what you should do is a culture of your outbreaks or a blood test of hsv-2 sorry for my english is not my native tongue either

Rain and Ashes

I called a private laboratory and they told me a blood test can not tell the difference between HSV1 and HSV2. As I already have HSV1 the blood test would be positive and I still wouldn't know if I have HSV2.

The laboratory told me I could do a swab (and they would do a pcr) of the sores, but this would just work if I do it now, of couse, while I have the symptoms. Has anyone ever done a specific blood test for HSV2 without having symptoms?

Quest

The blood test can distinguish between the two and so can a swab. You may want to wait for 12 weeks so it can show up on a test. If you are not sure you have built up any antibodies yet. Antivirals can interfere lowering your antibodies temporarily while you are taking them.

I am with Wilso you have a good chance that this is not HSV

Sandbr

I called a private laboratory and they told me a blood test can not tell the difference between HSV1 and HSV2. As I already have HSV1 the blood test would be positive and I still wouldn't know if I have HSV2.

The laboratory told me I could do a swab (and they would do a pcr) of the sores, but this would just work if I do it now, of couse, while I have the symptoms. Has anyone ever done a specific blood test for HSV2 without having symptoms?

It seems like this laboratory only offers the combined type test ( in my city they only have this one too.. but since I never had a cold sore I decided to take this one anyways), you need to look for a laboratory that offer a hsv type especif test ( hsv 2 lgg), since you already have hsv1 and a combined test will show up as positive. And again, I'm pretty sure you can do the blood test w/o symptoms, since it detects the antibodies, and they're there even w/o symptoms. 

If I was you I would do both ( swab + blood test) just to be sure.  Also, the 12 weeks is good, but since you didn't have sex I think it doesn't matter if you do it now or later?! 

Rain and Ashes

Sh**, I have made an appointment with a dermatologist, it will be tomorrow. I don't know if I can do it. They want to take a swab, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough. I am pretty sure they will diagnose HSV2, but how can you live with this as a virgin who never had a boyfriend? I will never be able to experience how carefree love feels like, I will always have in the back of my head that I will have to tell him that I am a virgin but already have herpes...nobody will believe me. If I don't have final results, I won't have to worry about it at the beginning of a relationship or till the next outbreak. Why can I never know how a normal relationship will feel like? Damn I'm sure it is HSV2...

Oh god, what if I stay a virgin forever or stay alone forever? At the first doctor's place there were so many families what if I can never have that?

I mean, in Germany there is no HSV-community, there ist nothing to connect with others. Damn, I really don't know if I can do it, probably I will just have a talk with the dermatologist and no swab...shit shit shit, if I would have had a relationship at least once it would be easier than all this...

Edited by Rain and Ashes

WilsoInAus

@Rain and Ashes it matters not whether you choose to swab or choose not to. You don’t have genital HSV-2. You have nothing to disclose.

Rain and Ashes

Thank you for your encouraging words, but what if the test comes back positive? I mean, just because there are no documented cases of non-sexual transmission, what if I am the first person to happen this to? (is that correct englisch? whatever,sorry)

I am sorry for annoying you all because I am so afraid and can't decide, but this is really driving me crazy.

Sandbr

Sh**, I have made an appointment with a dermatologist, it will be tomorrow. I don't know if I can do it. They want to take a swab, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough. I am pretty sure they will diagnose HSV2, but how can you live with this as a virgin who never had a boyfriend? I will never be able to experience how carefree love feels like, I will always have in the back of my head that I will have to tell him that I am a virgin but already have herpes...nobody will believe me. If I don't have final results, I won't have to worry about it at the beginning of a relationship or till the next outbreak. Why can I never know how a normal relationship will feel like? Damn I'm sure it is HSV2...

Oh god, what if I stay a virgin forever or stay alone forever? At the first doctor's place there were so many families what if I can never have that?

I mean, in Germany there is no HSV-community, there ist nothing to connect with others. Damn, I really don't know if I can do it, probably I will just have a talk with the dermatologist and no swab...shit shit shit, if I would have had a relationship at least once it would be easier than all this...

Go for it dear! Do the swab test and hold on to the possibility of it not being herpes. I mean you already sure that you have it, right?! So the odds is that It can only get better from now on. Living with the doubt might be worse. 

I understand your fears. All of them has been through my head the same way. It feels like a mirror somehow reading what you wrote. but I guess is better to go till the bottom of it, and try to trust what many experts have been studying till now. But still you prob really scared! I know! I sending you all the hugs! 

Go see the dermatologist. Take those experts  anwers I sent you to confront him/her. Ask him for test you for other things, too ( a bacterial and fungal swab as well). 

Edited by Sandbr
Typo

Rain and Ashes

So I will go to the dermatologist and at least talk to her about possibilities what it could be.

The problem ist, if it is hsv2 and i ever get a boyfriend and have to tell him that I got it though I am a virgin, there are no chances he will risk getting it himself. If I could get infected without sex, how could I convince someone to have sex with me where the chance of getting infected is even higher? If I have a positive result, there is no return, I have to tell anybody with whom I could have sex and they would also notice I'm a virgin. How could they believe me then the danger of getting infected through me is rather small?

Atrapasueños

Realiza una prueba de igg y igm de hsv-2 o un cultivo de tu brote no te preocupes hay más personas que tienen herpes genital sin haber tenido sexo sólo que es un virus que avergüenza y prefieren no ir a consulta también es porque los médicos niegan que se pueda deseminar a otras zonas del cuerpo cuando hay varios casos que son ciertos pero la misma comunidad lo niega para no generar más estrés y no te preocupes

Do an igg and igm test of hsv-2 or a culture of your outbreak do not worry there are more people who have genital herpes without having sex only that it is a virus that embarrasses and they prefer not to go to consultation also it is because doctors deny that can be discharged to other areas of the body when there are several cases that are true but the community itself denies it so as not to generate more stress and do not worry