World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Celeste68

Antibodies?

Celeste68

Hi, my recent blood work came back that I have HSV1 & HSV2 antibodies. I get tested routine testing every year (maybe they didn't specifically test for HSV in the past???) and have never had anything negative told to me. I've never had a cold sore or weird rash, just occasional irritations that most women suffer from. However, during the last few years, I have gotten these really red (relatively flat) bumps on my legs (had one on my lower thigh, on both calf areas, etc. but they just hurt for a few days, never bleed, etc. and then go away). I've been with my boyfriend for almost 3 years and there has never been a problem in this area (neither one of us had lesions, etc.). What does having these antibodies mean? I've asked my doctor IF I have Herpes and she said that I was exposed to it in the past and now have the antibodies, yet she won't say if I HAVE Herpes. I recently mentioned this to my boyfriend (it took me a few weeks to tell him) and he's obviously concerned and upset with me. I've honestly been faithful to him. I read somewhere that the virus lies dormant and can take years to show itself after the initial infection, which may have been so mild that you didn't even notice it. This is really confusing and I think I'm going to make another appointment with my doctor in an attempt to get an answer. If anyone can tell me what having these antibodies mean, I'd appreciate it. I believe it means that I HAVE Herpes, but not sure. Thanks!

Claudia
Hi, my recent blood work came back that I have HSV1 & HSV2 antibodies. I get tested routine testing every year (maybe they didn't specifically test for HSV in the past???) and have never had anything negative told to me.

You can answer that question by asking to see your previous medical records. There should be a history of your previous tests in there.

If anyone can tell me what having these antibodies mean, I'd appreciate it. I believe it means that I HAVE Herpes, but not sure.

You're correct.

Claudia

Celeste68

Thanks...

Thanks for the response. I'm calling my doctor and asking to come in to speak with her TODAY. My results were given to me over the phone (by a PA or one of her nurses) and I'm going to demand and answer today or ask that I be referred to someone that can.

Claudia

Good luck to you!

Claudia

catiesmom

Please keep in mind that sometimes doctors don't have all the right facts. My doctor was wrong about transmission methods, and yours might have incorrect info too. The best thing to do is go in there with a "fact" you know, and if your doctor disagrees with your fact, find a new doctor! One easy one is transmission - my doctor insisted genital herpes only passes from genital to genital, so i MUST have gotten HSV from intercourse. She was wrong - HSV can pass oral-to-genital or genital-to-oral as well as genital-to-genital and oral-to-oral. That's an easy question to guage your doctor on, and you'd be surprised how many of them DON'T KNOW THAT!

Celeste68

Thanks...

Thanks, Ladies....I did go back to my doctor's office today, but saw someone new since my doctor wasn't available. She gave me that answer that I needed that "technically I have HSV1 & 2". So that's a yes. Can't understand why they can't just say yes or no. I guess because I've never had a true outbreak or even coldsore that I'm aware of. It's really hard to believe that I even have it but have told my boyfriend of almost 3 years and now he's mad at me because I waited a few weeks to tell him that I was even positive for the antibodies. I guess I was scared, didn't really know what that meant, and angry at the same time. Like I said, we've been together for almost 3 years and neither one of us have ever had a "true outbreak" or even anything close to it...no bumps, pain, rashes, etc. I've been faithful to him but he cheated on me a few months into our relationship with an ex-girlfriend and impregnated her (that's another story and forum all together...more baby momma drama). He's testing negative, which is hard to believe since we've been having unprotected sex for years. I asked my doctor about the red, painful bumps that I sometimes get on my lower legs and also had one on my lower thigh, and she said that it wasn't related...that people just get them sometimes. I'm still going to a dermatologist the next time one appears to have it tested. The bumps just turn deep red and are painful...no pus, bleeding, etc. They do leave a mark when they go away. Well, if anyone else has bumps like these that they know is HSV then I'd greatly appreciate any info on it. Thanks again for your replies and support. I'm not sleeping well right now and find this very therapeutic.

catiesmom

Honestly, those bumps sound like ingrown hairs to me. It's possible they're HSV, but the only way to know is to get it tested.

I'm sorry your boyfriend didn't take the news well. It's a hard thing to hear! It was hard for you to hear, and i'm sure it's hard for him too. Best of luck!!

1hopnot

Maybe its staph? I had somethibg similar to that on my butt about a year ago and my doctor said it was staph. It was red, painful and caused scaring. (Sometimes I wonder if it was herpes but he insures me it wasn't. )

Celeste68

Hmmm....

Thanks for your response. Like I said, I'm going to go to the dermatologist the next time I get one of those strange red bumps on my legs. My doctor said that it wasn't herpes related, so I need to find out what it is. I guess I'll be cautious and somewhat paranoid every time a new bump like that aappears from now on. I'm scared because, like I said, I've never had a true outbreak and don't know what to expect. Not sure about anything these days but I guess it gets easier as time goes by. Thanks all for your support.