World's Largest Herpes Support Group
NewlifeforVal

Advice to those just diagnosed..

NewlifeforVal

Ok so, I was diagnosed 5 months ago. I can’t even explain how depressed I was (and I am a happy person).

it gets better. I promise. And I would not have believed that if someone would have tried to tell me that when I was first diagnosed.

I had my second outbreak last month (which I caught right away and it went away in 2 days with acyclovir). It was nothing like the first one. The pain was at like a 1, compared to the first outbreak which I would say the pain was a 10.

i am having another outbreak now, and it’s the same. I’ve never seen any blisters, but I can see small flat lesions. I will say that I haven’t been eating well or taking vitamins, so I am not fully surprised by these 2 outbreaks. 

But my point is, they don’t hurt. I live a normal life. I am lucky that my partner (that unknowingly gave it to me) is still in the picture, (even though we went back to acting like it’s an elephant in the room because men can’t communicate) lol, but having him to go through it with is something I am grateful for because I know this can feel extremely  lonely.

And I will say surprisingly I have had the best sex of my life since I was diagnosed. Weird coincidence I guess :rolleyes:. Life is funny.

i honestly forget I have it. And these two outbreaks I’ve got (right at the end of my period) these last 2 months, have been so easy, acyclovir got rid of them quickly, and tea tree oil helps to dry them.

my best advice:

Take care of your body (what you put inside really matters).

Take care of your mind (talk to someone, even if it’s a stranger).

Take care of your soul (figure out what you need to make yourself happy again, or find your new happy). 

Please remember that it’s going to be ok because believe me, I know it does not feel like it.

Quest

Having them days after your period is typical.

Get plenty of sleep and get rid of any stress and stressful people!

Bhbr2018

Glad to hear you’ve gotten better. I truly feel for people that get diagnosed so young and/ or not with a partner to help  them through it all. If you don’t have that you have to face it alone, and think about dating and disclosure. Worry about rejections and your reputation. Did a part of you stay with him because he had it as well? I don’t know how you forgave him, I cant look at the guy who gave me this disease the same way ever again. He will always be the person who ruined my life. If he were on life support I’d unplug his machine to charge my phone. 

Dutchy

I feel the same about the person that gave this to me.  

But in agree about finding things to love in life. Disclosing in did twice. With succes. But after that Building a good relationship is still hard and needs work. 

I am more gratefull for the blessings in my life. But if the person that gave it to me is in front of my car i would Speed up and brake his legs...

Broken Butterfly

I’m glad you and your partner were able to stay together. I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago and have been trying to tell my boyfriend but he has decided to stop responding to me. I know I got it from him and I don’t know if he knows he has it. It’s been hell feeling so alone dealing with this. I wanted to see if we could stay together but my guess is he knows he has it and is afraid to talk to me- I told him I had upsetting news from the doctor I needed to share with him. I hope eventually I feel less sad and upset as time goes on but right now I’m a mess. 

Flexer

How do you all know that these partners definitely gave you the virus? You can have the virus for years without it becoming active! You may have had it a lot longer than you think and actually could have given it to your partner! To say you would kill the person who gave it to you is crazy to me because even if they did give it to you, they may not have known they had it, this is an extremely common situation. Also, when you are with someone in the future, hopefully your going to tell them about the virus, and you will always be at risk of giving it to someone else, yes they have a choice to sleep with you knowing but if you give it to someone else, do you think you deserve to die? 

Bhbr2018

I know because I was routinely tested for HSV 4 times per year minimum. Then I had a horrific first outbreak with a positive swab and negative blood test. Aka first exposure. It’s science that you cannot deny. And I really dislike when people say “oh you can’t blame them, they didn’t know!” 

Really? It’s called being a sexually responsible adult and being informed and tested. Not ripping other peoples lives and health apart because you chose ignorance instead. When I asked to be tested I said, doc what am I being tested for? Ok I don’t hear herpes I want that test as well. Is it that hard? 

No I don’t believe if someone was informed about it and still passed it they deserve to die, but if you go around knowingly infecting others because you’re too chickenshit to man up and face it, yes you are scum and we could use less scum on this earth.