World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Friends

No outbreaks

Friends

My wife and I discovered we have HSV 1 & 2 but neither one of us has ever had a outbreak I found out I had it by accident, I went to the dr to get checked for everything and was negative for everything except HSV. Much to my surprise I asked my wife to get tested and she was positive for both also. Neither of us know how long we both had it... It was very shocking for both of us. We've known now for over a year and still the same no symptoms, only difference is we both now know we have it.  My wife's igg score was 56 HSV 1 and 1.3 HSV 2, mine was HSV 1 5.8 and HSV 2 6... Do t know what all this means. 

I do believe however that there must be more strains than people believe. Why does my wife and I have no symptoms? I can't explain it, other than there must be more strains than 1 & 2. 

WilsoInAus

This is quite a common scenario. The majority of people with herpes get lesions at a low frequency and up to a half of oral HSV-1 carriers get no oral outbreaks and 25% of genital HSV-2 carriers get no genital outbreaks.

Your (as in just you) results look clear enough. You carry both HSV-1 and HSV-2. Most likely 1 is oral and 2 is genital for you.

Your wife though I suggest probably only has an oral infection of HSV-1. Does she remember oral cold sores as a kid perhaps? The 1.3 score for HSV-2 compared to the 56 score for HSV-1 may be 'cross over reaction' of the antibodies and does not confirm a HSV-2 infection.

Although there are different strains of HSV, it has not been observed that they cause different outbreak intensities or frequencies in humans. Remember there are more stains and variances in humans than there will ever be in the simply DNA of this virus. 

You and your wife belong to a similar demographic background? That would be enough in and of itself to explain a similar experience with herpes.

Friends

My wife did have cold sores she remembered in high school and college...I have never had them. My dr believes my wife may have given it to me during oral sex...however we have been together almost 20yrs...don’t know why our igg scores are similar.

WilsoInAus

HSV-1 and HSV-2 are distinct viruses. You can only pass what you have. A person only with HSV-1 can only pass on HSV-1 for example.

At this stage, although your wife certainly has an oral HSV-1 infection, it is not that likely she has HSV-2. Otherwise she'd have tested a lot higher.

Your scores are not that similar and have at least a fragment of their own story to tell us. Anything over 3.5 (well mainly for HSV-2) is over 95% certain to represent an infection. Anything below 3.5 has a question mark as a reading at that level can occur as a result of naturally occurring proteins.

Friends

I did read that you can pass HSV to the genitals through oral sex. Also should I protect my wife by wearing a condom going forward? 

WilsoInAus

Yes you can pass an oral HSV-1 infection to genitals. But it is still HSV-1 when it gets there. It does not become HSV-2 for example.

For male to female transmission, condoms are the best measure to reduce the chance of transmission. Adding antivirals provides even further protection.

However, for a long term married couple, what do either of you want to be different as a result of simply knowing about your HSV status?

Friends

I’m happy that my wife and I doesn’t get blisters or soars...etc. its almost hard to believe some of the stuff people are saying about unbearable pain and sores? What’s the deal...is this real? 

Why do you think we are not having this happen to us? Are we one of the lucky ones that will not be affected his way. 

Edited by Friends

Quest

Dr. Bergman says that HSV passed on many times over just kind of loses it's punch and becomes weaker every time it is passed down. 20 years and you didn't pass it to her! Wow!!!! impressive!!!

Friends

I don't know guys...I've heard so much and I'm at the point that I'm trying to believe everything I hear. However I'd I have HSV I had to have had in over twenty years....and didn't know, how is this possible? Again I'm reading post of people having sores, some having nerve pain and some people who get nothing, I believe one day as they get close to a cure they're gonna find out that these viruses are different, not that they affect people differently.

WilsoInAus

Hey @Friends

I do have another scenario for you to consider. Sometimes people are born with HSV-2 from their mother that transfers during childbirth. In this case, the oral region or even upper body somewhere is infected. In this case genital outbreaks never occur. This is a rare event and the fact that you have HSV-1 means that it’s rarer still.

It is also possible that perhaps you were infected somewhere other than genitally from a sexual partner, such as orally when giving oral sex, possibly on your hand.

This is all unlikely. If you had a few partners from a high risk demographic before your wife (African or South American for example) then the odds are with them being the source.

Prople with HSV-1 already from childhood often experience very slight symptoms upon infection with HSV-2 in adulthood.

Friends

Wow! That's an amazing theory. That's definitely something to consider. You're amazing.., Are you a physician? 

Friends

What is this about a cure? Is that something people are saying is possible? 

WilsoInAus
8 minutes ago, Friends said:

Wow! That's an amazing theory. That's definitely something to consider. You're amazing.., Are you a physician? 

No, just an Aussie ;)

But you didn’t answer the question. Did you have sexual partners from high incidence backgrounds?

WilsoInAus

What is this about a cure? Is that something people are saying is possible? 

Like many health issues, there’s research but nothing close enough to be overly focused on right now.

Friends

Yes, I did date a girl from South America; Guiana,., we used condoms however she did give me oral....and I have dated African American women also. 

I see where your going with this, however I understand that the CDC says that those estimates are not accurate, 

WilsoInAus

Yes, I did date a girl from South America; Guiana,., we used condoms however she did give me oral....and I have dated African American women also. 

I see where your going with this, however I understand that the CDC says that those estimates are not accurate, 

I don’t think so mate, they’re accurate. They are based on objective studies such as NHANES in the US.

Friends

....ok. Will have to agree to disagree, only because I have a front row seat to the action... and I witness that most of the new cases the patient is white.... By like 3 to 1

WilsoInAus

The results are statistically significant and not interpretable.

The highest incidence demographics for HSV-2 attend upon medical assistance the least.

It does all illustrate though that there was a high chance that at least one of your pre marriage partners had HSV-2.

Friends

Can herpes be passed no matter the igg score? For instance if I’m low or either high does it make me more capable of passing it, or does that matter. My wife and I got tested again and our scores are the same? 

WilsoInAus

IgG antibodies are only one single element of your immune system that addresses HSV 1/2. There are about 30 different antibodies in your blood alone not to mention about 50 others outside of your boood stream.

There is no correlation between ‘scores’ associated with this single IgG antibody and a person’s experience with HSV.

Friends

Interesting...so is there a protein that says this is herpes and not another virus. I ask because neither one of us are having issues. And again we've been together for 20yrs, married 14. Just from my reading, the higher the igg score the more protection or immunity to keep the virus asleep? 

Just weird, that's all

WilsoInAus

DNA is essentially a program to build a molecular structure. The HSV DNA builds a case around itself and then an envelope around that. The molecular structure includes a lot of proteins. There are quite a few glycoproteins in the envelope (A, B, C, D etc.). It was eventually discovered that glycoprotein G attracts only a certain type specific IgG molecule and hence a type specific test could be made.

However this particular IgG antibody is nothing too special, there are some real potent Tcells and IgG antibodies that are not type specific for example. Hence it is the 80 elements working in harmony that control the virus. In fact for people who have had the virus a long time, it appears this particular IgG antibody is tuned down and people test negative even but still have no outbreaks.

There is actually nothing too weird in what you describe. About half of people with oral HSV-1 do not experience symptoms and 20% of people with genital HSV-2 do not experience symptoms.

Friends

You are really Informed about this. I imagine you've helped a lot of people on here.

Freefalling87
On 9/23/2018 at 3:12 AM, Quest said:

Dr. Bergman says that HSV passed on many times over just kind of loses it's punch and becomes weaker every time it is passed down. 20 years and you didn't pass it to her! Wow!!!! impressive!!!

Who? Do you have a link to his comment? 

Quest
4 hours ago, Freefalling87 said:

Who? Do you have a link to his comment? 

It is in his video about viruses. Let me get it for you. Warning it is long, but I love it! @7:30

Edited by Quest