World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Friends

No outbreaks

Friends

Hi guys, a couple of questions. When I did a blood specific test about two weeks after discovering something was wrong with me.  My igm score was negative and my igg was positive, 5.8 hsv1 and 6 HSV 2,.., can anything be determined from this. Like was it a new infection or an old one that was activated. Again my wife is 58 HSV 1, what does that mean, why is it so high and what is the difference in the effect from my 5.8? 

WilsoInAus

IgM antibodies are only present randomly after Infection, it’s a useless test. It doesn’t mean anything.

IgG antibodies indices over 3.5 confirm positive for the virus. Nothing more can be interpreted. It means nothing in terms of experience with herpes.

I would suggest that the most feasible interpretation is that all infections are quite long term.

Friends

Is it possible to catch HSV 2 somewhere else other than the penis... And if so does this mean you will not transmit from that area? 

WilsoInAus
17 minutes ago, Friends said:

Is it possible to catch HSV 2 somewhere else other than the penis... And if so does this mean you will not transmit from that area? 

That’s right, most infections of the one type are in one nerve ganglion. As such, the virus only appears at the skin’s surface where that ganglion reaches to. 

This does all come down to the numbers though, if you have no other evidence than a firmly positive HSV infection, the default assumption which is not likely to be wrong is that type 1 is oral and type 2 is genital. A positive swab is the only evidence to the contrary.

Friends

If igg score is around 4.0 or 5.0 does that give you and indication of how long you've had HSV? Could it be a 2 month infection or years ago with the same igg score?

WilsoInAus

@Friends technically no, all you can really gather is that the infection is definitely older than around 2 months but an open question beyond that, could easily be years.