World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Liberation

New and CONFUSED!!

Liberation

Hello to all! I've been lurking around for the past few months but decided that I really needed to explain my story and see if anyone could offer some insight. So, here goes....

Back at the end of July, my girlfriend was telling me that she noticed a bump on the outside of her vagina and she thought it was an ingrown hair because she had shaven down there a few days prior and we didn't think much of it. We have been together for a year and tested and everything was fine. So, we ended up having sex (unprotected) that night as usual. However, the next night...she noticed that the bump had expanded some to more a larger blister. We were both looking at it....kinda in shock as to what was happening. Now, my immediate reaction was Herpes because I couldn't imagine what else would look like that...even though neither one of us has ever had symptons prior. Within 24 hours...the blister did pop and went away. No scabbing, pain, discharge, etc. So, she went to her doctor and had a blood test done...negative. However, I still was a little leary. Then in October...another bump came up (in a different spot) but didn't change like the previous one. She made it to her doctor in time for a swab test and again...negative. We both started to feel extremely relieved but we still didn't have an answer as to what it actually was. Nevertheless, it got worse and she now has had 4 incidents since the first with another bump starting again tonight...but she does have an appt tomorrow with her doctor. There's no prodrome or anything. It just pops right back up. Oh, and she did have meningitis back in 05 but was tested twice for all STD's prior to her first outbreak in July and both were negative.

For me, I haven't shown any symptoms and we had sex that first night of the breakout when she would be very contagious and more times since then. But still, I haven't shown anything and this is all so damn confusing. All tests are negative, I'm sympton free (even though we had sex with the first bump present) and she's having one incident after another. What gives? I've resigned myself to the fact that it is herpes but everything is just so strange. Is there a slight chance something else is going on? I mean...I thought those culture tests were pretty accurate. I don't know...anybody?

SweetHeartSinner

They could be cysts. I had one on my inner thigh when I was 12 and again one on my vaginal lip when I was 13. They feel hard and sometimes turn a purplish color when you squeeze or press on them. They don't generally hurt unless they rub against something like the band of a pair of panties or jeans. When they pop they have a yellow-green, sometimes bloody milky pus. Almost always they are hereditary but sometimes can be aused from sweat and an ingrown hair that gets deeply infected. They aren't contagious nd all the doc withh usually do is lance it and stitch it up. If her doc can't figure out what it is, maybe she should find a new one. On occasion I still get them with stress, and my mom even gets them under her breasts and arm pits, but if not taken care of and lanced properly, even if healed, they will keep coming back.

I hope this helps and I wish you and your girl the best of luck. :D

Celeste68

Get Specific HSV Blood Test

Hi, I'm a newbie....recently "diagnosed" with this through blood work. I've never had an "outbreak" and neither has my boyfriend of almost 3 years. Make sure you get the HSV Type 1 & Type 2 specific blood tests. From what I understand so far, viral cultures don't always come back positive. These tests are in their infancy and have only really been used for the last year or so, but are very good at detecting the antibodies in our blood that result from HSV exposure. I went to my doctor today and demanded an answer as to whether or not I HAD Herpes or not. She still didn't want to just outright say Yes, since I've never had an outbreak that I'm aware of, but she said "Technically, Yes". So I've resolved in my mind that it's just a Yes, regardless of outbreaks or not. Neither my boyfriend or myself have ever had an outbreak and we have had unprotected sex for years. He is currently testing negative for it, so I hope to keep it that way and start using protection at all times now that we're both aware. I'm scared as well, but I'm not going to stress myself (or try not to) too much because from what I hear, that tends to make it worse. Good luck to both of you.

catiesmom

Not everyone has outbreaks. In fact, the majority of people, i believe, are outbreak free their whole lives. It's possible if she does have HSV you've got it, but will be one of the lucky ones who never sees an outbreak. You should both get tested regularly (every few months) until you determine what she has.

GoldenIK

Hey there.. have she been tested for Syphilis? That usually has painless blisters that come and go sometimes with cold or flu like symptoms...

lilanne19

If she's been tested numerous times and each time it turns up negative, then I'd have to go with she's negative. I would ask her to get copies of her last results so that she can see what kind of tests she's been given. Maybe the reason she still doesn't know what it is, is because the doctor's are assumming it's an STD. What if it's not? It takes 3 months for a person to make enough antibodies to test positive for herpes so if you guys have been together for a year and she's been faithful then it's safe to say it's not herpes. Maybe her doctors should be looking at other reasons for these bumps. Personally, I have no idea what it could possibly be but that's what she's going to see the doctors for.